Slate Wine Bar
2404 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20007Neighborhood:
Wine BarPrice: $30 and under
Slate Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://slatewinebar.com/
- Phone: (202) 333-4304
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday, Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Monday-Friday: 11:30am - 4:00
Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Slate Wine Bar
Slate Wine Bar + Bistro is a casual neighborhood wine bar with an emphasis on small production and sustainably produced wines from all over the world, paired with new American cuisine ranging from light snacks to three course meals. By the glass wines and bottle selections are supplemented with a range of changing features as well as house sparkling, white and red wines. Craft and premium beers and classic cocktails are also available. Space is available for private events and Slate regularly hosts its own events including wine tasting seminars, wine dinners, and beer tastings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Slate Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Glover Park ›
Slate Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (45)notable wine list (38)fit for foodies (27)romantic (17)special occasion (14)great for brunch (11)good for groups (9)vibrant bar scene (6)hot spot (5)great for lunch (3)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Good Food, A Little Over-pricedBevSDined on 11/16/2014The food was good. I had risotto with shrimp which was very tasty comfort-type food. My partner had the duck breast which was well cooked and delicious. We also shared an order of the pan-seared scallops. Overall the food and the experience was nice until the check arrived. While the food was tasty and the service was friendly and efficient, we felt it was too pricey for food that wasn't outstanding. Our tab was around $100 for two people which included two entrees, an appetizer, a flight of wine ($22) and a hot tea. So with tip you've just spent 60 per person and we didn't feel the experience or the food were that special.Special Features:
- Awesome experienceFreespeechDined on 11/11/2014I've been to Slate numerous times and I keep coming back for more. My friends and I are big wine drinker's and Slate keeps expanding their wine list, we love Slate's wine flights as well as their private collection were their Best gems are kept. Chef Danny has so many different options on the menu it is hard to not pick everything. We were also were there this past Saturday night, and Slate was packed upstairs and downstairs, which makes the last review completely uncalled for. Our best to Slate!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2014I wanted to try this place for a while & we went for my sister's birthday. The restaurant was DEAD on a Sat night. We all got wine flights, GREAT deal. A flight was 4 full-size glasses of wine for $22-28ish. Some wines were great, others not, but nbd. Major downside was the slow/rude service & the subpar presentation. The flights come out w/ no descrip of the wine, which isn't awful, but its nice to get a card reminding you what you got and telling you about the flavor! For no clear reason, the waiters gave us our checks after we'd been there about an hour, well before closing time, when people were thinking about ordering a next round. It was off-putting and rude considering we were their best and only customers that night!
- cdb3cdb3Dined on 10/18/2014Perfect romantic evening - celebrating a graduation and a recent engagement. The service was elegant but warm. The food was amazing - enjoyed three small plates and an incredible dessert. Truly a dream evening and unforgettable memory.Special Features:
- Will be back!!khmanVIPDined on 10/18/2014The food was excellent and the service was spot on. We will definitely be dining at Slate again! Such a fabulous find.Special Features:
- Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 10/4/2014We only stopped in for a drink and a small bite. It was early - 6:30pm - so the dinner rush had not even started. The bartender was very helpful with the menu, offering his favorites and letting us know the best bets for sharing. The kitchen had no issues splitting their Slate Salad three (!) ways as well as their risotto with chicken. The salad was beautiful with fresh avacado and plenty as 1/3 (it must be gigantic for one!). The risotto was some of the best I've ever had. Having just been to a french restaurant for the same, there was no comparison. The consistency was perfect - soft and creamy and again, the portion was perfect and the chicken ample. Would absolutely recommend to others who might be in this very vibrant dining scene.Special Features:
- Not as Good as I Had HopedSirBrunchALotDined on 9/28/2014My wife and I came here for Sunday brunch. We had high hopes, as the restaurant was nicely decorated, and they had the front windows open since it was a beautiful fall day. To make it easy, we just ordered off the Prix Fixe menu, and we did the wine pairing. First off, it took 20 minutes for us to get a mimosa! And, the restaurant was NOT busy. And with each course, it was the SAME, lame prosecco! So, the "wine pairing" is a joke. I ordered the eggs benedict. The egg was way overcooked, and the ham (which was cold), looked like it came from a package of lunch meat. Service was so slow, it took us nearly 2 hours to eat, of which at least 1 hour was spent waiting on food and drinks.
- Overall nice neighborhood spotDSDCDined on 9/20/2014Great wine selection and prices were reasonable. Most of the dishes were excellent with a couple that were just good.Special Features:
- A Great Spot!FelixDined on 9/20/2014A friend and I reserved for an early dinner at Slate on a Saturday night. Our waitress was attentive and courteous. She offered a taste of a new wine I wanted to try, and mentioned that they want customers to try the wines before ordering. We split an order of their special duck egg rolls (very good), and ordered Salmon and Lasagna as entrees. Both were delicious and generous portions. Fortunately you could hear your companion talk, a luxury that happens less and less. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cheap place to get drunkSAACVIPDined on 9/20/2014At brunch the blodymaries are unlimited, the menu is very limited
- Awesome DinnerFreespeechDined on 9/13/2014I have to say that even though I've been here once before, I did not expect to have such a great time. The service was impeccable. Being a wino, I have to say this wine list has the best value in town. Every bite was also amazing, the mussels were big a full of flavor, the scallops cannot get any better (bacon, corn and cream), and the ribeye was cooked to perfection. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs improvementQuieterDined on 9/6/2014This was the first time that I visited this restaurant. I will not go back at all. The bar tender guy was nice and friendly, he help seat me at one of the tables. The waitress never introduced herself and asked if I wanted something to drink and then it took her 10 more minutes to come back to take my order. The mussels were not at all good, some of them were orange and some were grey flesh inside and it was supposed to be garlic sauce but not much flavor. The fries were the highlight of the meal, nice and hot. But, for a seafood lover I will not go back. The waitress staff needs to be more attentive and friendly to customers. Such a let down.Special Features:
- Nice discoveryairishVIPDined on 9/1/2014Good little neighborhood spot with nice reasonable wine list and innovative menu. Glad we dined here. The young waitress was very sweet and responsive and made for a pleasant evening.Special Features:
- Excellent wine bar, but too costlysatine416VIPDined on 8/31/2014Slate Wine Bar is an adorable find and a great addition to the Glover Park area. Their set-up is clean and attractive and the wait staff extremely friendly. We went in with a Living Social deal, but after one look at the menu let them know that we were only interested in appetizers and drinks. The waitress was very cool about it and still remained attentive to our needs. We each ordered a flight of wine -- one of the reds and one of the whites -- and we shared the baked brie. The wines were very tasty and a really interesting mix. The baked brie was also delicious and they were more than willing to give us more bread when we asked for it! Overall, it was a lovely place and I would happily go back if only their prices were more affordable!Special Features:
- Cool neighborhood jointChatterboxx1969VIPDined on 8/28/2014I was there to celebrate my BFF's birthday. We were greeted warmly and seated right away. We were given complimentary glades of champagne. Our server was very nice and attentive. The cocktails, appetizers and entrees were delicious. I'll be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slate ratesgoodcompanyDined on 8/26/2014A very tasty menu, nice staff and great wine options. One of the best stops in this well traveled strip.Special Features:
- Good food; okay service.LeslieKayVIPDined on 8/24/2014We have been here twice. Good food. Entry level service. Both visits were on a Sunday night. Both times I believe our servers were new or just not that good. Unfamiliar with the menu; not that helpful when asking questions; having to double check parts of our order, etc. Also we were one of two or three tables at that time. We wonder if Sunday night is just slow for them or if something else is going on. Again the food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stellar ExperienceTrelleDined on 8/16/2014My guests and I enjoyed dining at Slate and plan to do so again. The food was phenomenal, vibrant but not overwhelming atmosphere, and the staff was attentive and accommodating. To top it all off, it was my birthday celebration and they treated us to a complimentary signature house beverage that was amazing! I will definitely work this spot into my dining favorites rotation. Get there while its still hassle free to get in. ChaoSpecial Features:
- Great Food Great ServicejoyceanDined on 8/15/2014Lunch was wonderful. I was delighted that they served a full meal not a "taste" meal like most restaurants that participate in Restaurant Week. The food was excellent and so was the service. A wonderful addition to the neighborhood. My husband and I will definitely try Slate for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great service!YvonneDined on 8/4/2014The food was phenomenal. There were not many people dining at the time we were there, so I was surprised that it took as long as it did to arrive, but we were in no rush and the food was delicious so it was more than worth the wait. Everything about the restaurant was on point other than than the tables and the restrooms. The tables could stand to be a little bigger to accommodate lots more of the delicious food and drinks. The bathrooms are in serious need of updating. We were very surprised by the appearance and quality. Overall, a great restaurant that I would quickly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will Definitely ReturnOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014Seated immediately, food great!!, great service. Nice neighborhood restuarant. Potatoe soup ... Delicious!!Special Features:
- Pleasant experiencesizialDined on 8/2/2014Due to the mixed reviews, I wasn't sure what to expect but came away pleasantly surprised. We were warmly greeted by the bartender and given our choice of tables on the first level, as it was still kind of early for dinner. Once we decided on the food (charcuterie plate, french onion soup, duck egg rolls, scallops, and mussels - all small plates) we chose wine accordingly. We found the service to be pleasant and well-paced, and everything came out in proper order as we'd requested. Food on the whole was very good - I especially enjoyed the duck egg roll. The mussels were the weak point, as my companion thought they seemed gritty/sandy. Finished off with the key lime tart, which was exceptional. Chef even came out to answer questions!Special Features:
- Neighborhood find!yummyDined on 8/1/2014Good food, wine and service! Mixed drinks were good, too. The waiter made excellent suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great discovery in Glover Park !MicDCDined on 7/25/2014We went to Slate last Friday night after purchasing a Living Social deal the same day. We had noticed the restaurant by walking by, and wanted to try it as we live in the neighborhood. Our expectations were not super high but the place really exceeded them. From the moment we stepped in until we left, it was a great experience. Our server was very pleasant, smiling and attentive though not hovering as some do...The bartender came to fix the foot of our table which was unsteady. The food was great. Of particular note were the burger, risotto with vegetables and the Tres Leches cake. Only issue was it was quite hot inside the restaurant, they had the AC on but it's a narrow place, it was a very hot day. Great job Slate !Special Features:
- If you enjoy wine and good food.HarryfVIPDined on 7/24/2014Excellent as usual. Very attentive wait staff and owners, Daniel. I attended their Pinot Noir tasting with dinner. The Ahi Tuna Poke is my favorite appetizer and I tend to always order it. The duck is always wonderful and so flavorful and tender. If you enjoy duck, don't miss this one. The scallops are very tasty, however the risotto makes this a fantastic choice with it's robust flavors of truffle oil and Parmesan and other spices. Daniel always is attentive and shares his stories and experiences with us and makes you feel at home. Elizabeth, you know has in depth experience in the wine industry and her wine selection shows that. Nicely run restaurant and I would highly recommend a visit if you have a chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pinot Tasting + DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/24/2014We visited the restaurant on a Thursday night for a tasting of 5 Pinot Noir wines - our first such event at Slate. We were warmly greeted by Allahin (as always), and were also delighted to be served and informed about the wines by the restaurant owner. Her knowledge about and enthusiasm for wines was infectious, and a cut above many area restaurants. The sampling experience was very enjoyable, with 1/3 glass of each of 5 wines served for a reasonable price. Our dinner of scallops, shrimp tempura and pork loin was outstanding. The salmon, while flavorful, was a bit over cooked. I came from Virginia during a busy rush hour especially to savor the delicious wines and the food we've grown to love over the past several months.Special Features:
- The following 65 reviews are from the Slate Wine Bar reviews archive.
- post apt searchOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/23/2014nice little date spot. we had a bottle of spanish white wine (it is a wine bar afterall), the mussels and frites, and a salmon salad. service was very nice. romantic and cozy.
- A $14 burger that's worth itEdwardVIPDined on 7/2/2014I generally resent paying DC prices for burgers, but this was an exception. Quality beef that was perfectly cooked and served on a lovely roll. I'd do that again.Special Features:
- Great spot!KTinDCVIPDined on 6/19/2014Love the space, vibe, food, wine, and especially, the service and people who work there. I have had delicious apps, hamburgers, chicken, and really great pairing suggestions with cool, lesser-known wines. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Birthday Celebration SpotRachelDined on 6/2/2014I took my boyfriend here as a surprise for his 25th birthday and we had a great time. Service was outstanding and really made him feel special. The food was very good and paired well with the wine/beer recommendations. The ambiance was also intriguing.Special Features:
- Weekday dinner for twoNiyc1Dined on 5/19/2014Had a weekday dinner with my sweetie. He had the burger, which he loved, with an Old Fashioned. I had the Eggplant Parmesan and a lovely glass of red wine recommended by out waitress. We both left full and content. I would definitely recommend Slate Wine Bar and Bistro to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/11/2014Our compliments to Alahin, who provided impeccable service on our first visit to the restaurant to celebrate Mother's Day. His knowledge of food and wine pairings and overall suggestions were excellent, adding to the satisfaction of our experience. I particularly enjoyed the scallops appetizer, and loved the Prima Spanish wine recommended to complement our entrees (these were also very good).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Georgetown findSuAlDined on 5/7/2014We were staying just afew blocks away from Slate and found it on Open Table. We weere pleasantly surprised by the excellent food, comfortable atmosphere and good cocktails. I would recommend it to anyone traveling and staying in the 2200 blocks of Wisconsin Avenure in Geaogetown, Washington D.C..Special Features:
- Drinks - Yes , Food - NoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/2/2014The drinks are good but the good is not. I guess that is to be expected of a wine barI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch in Glover ParkFreespeechDined on 4/23/2014I had a wonderful lunch. My friend and I had the soup of the day, which was carrot ginger. Then I had the fish tacos (the best I ever had), and my friend had the catch of the day, which was a red snapper (he loved it). We were working so we didn't drink any wine, but we can't wait to go back and try some of the wines. The wine list has some of the best values in town!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slate Wine Bar + BistroCitiFoodieDined on 4/13/2014Service was a bit slow at times as there was only 1 waitress. The wine bottle we ordered initially was not available so we each had a different glass. Pan seared scallops were well prepared in a cream corn sauce with a bit of spinach. Caesar salad was very light on the dressing and just okay. Bread pudding was delicious, creamy and just the right amount of spicy sweetness. Key lime tart was more like a cheesecake with only a hint of lime in it but had a nice graham cracker crust. Wines were not that impressive for a wine bar and the waitress didn't really help since she admitted to being a beer drinker herself.Special Features:
- Decent food, great service. Over $OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/12/2014The food here was not bad, but also not fantastic. The service was exceptional from our waiters, although the meal was rather slow in arriving. I ordered a hamburger since nothing really caught my fancy on the menu and I was craving red meat. I ordered medium rare. It came medium at best. Hamburger was $14 with the option to add multiple extras for $2 each. Bacon, a fried egg, cheese. I can understand bacon perhaps, but an egg for two bucks? A slice of cheese? Cheese should be included on a 14 dollar burger. Others in our party agreed that the food was not bad, but nothing spectacular. Bottom line: For the money, find somewhere else to go until this restaurant makes some changes.
- Cozy wine bar in Glover ParkBelladouxVIPDined on 3/15/2014A coupon brought me to Slate on March 15, 2014. The menu consists of small plates which is often my preference. Our server was attentive, friendly and prompt. It's a small restaurant and you are very close to your neighbors but for a casual meal, it's worth a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where have all the mussels gone?DebyVIPDined on 2/21/2014The food was very good, with one exception - the mussels! Some were so small, I thought the shell was empty. The restaurant did an excellent job of curing the problem by getting me something else and making the rest of our stay quite enjoyable. I did really want the mussels, though and am surprised that anything that small would be served, in the first place,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines day 5 courseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014Both of us enjoyed our meal at Slate wine bar February 14. The ahi tuna poke was a nice starter but the duck egg roll was the best thing I had all night. My date had the duck entree which was ordered rare and was very good. I had the steak (ordered medium-rare) with frites and I would not score it any higher than "fair." It was served just above room temperature which was a shame because the mustard/pepper sauce works much better when very hot. I should have sent it back but it was late and I was hungry and it was slow to begin with. Were it not for this problem I would have rated Slate higher. I have had better meals for a lot less money elsewhere.