54 W. 21st Street
New York, NY 10010Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.slate-ny.com/
- Phone: 2129890096
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner (7 days a week): 4:00pm - 9:00pm;
Late Night (Friday-Saturday): 9:00PM - 3:00AM
**Please contact venue for Late Night Reservations
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Burgers, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Jason Mayer
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full in-house catering available. Please inquire with email@example.com for full catering menu options and pricing.
- Entertainment: Live DJs Friday and Saturday nights.
- Special Events: Slate defines elegance and excitement. From film stars and musicians, to bankers and brokers, many of the world’s hottest celebrities and prestigious corporations have discovered that Slate is the perfect venue for their next event. One of New York’s only venues with private and semi-private reception spaces, Slate offers sleek décor in 16,000 square feet over two floors, sumptuous modern American cuisine, state-of-the-art audiovisual capabilities, a spacious dance floor and banquet seating to accommodate large or intimate events, fashion shows, film shoots, bar and bat mitzvahs, rehearsal dinners and receptions. The lower level boasts a full bar, pool, ping-pong and foosball tables.
A word from Slate
Located in the Flatiron district, Slate is one of New York City’s most unique and dramatic venues. Housed in over 16,000 square feet, the two floors are joined by a spectacular glass staircase in the shape of a triangle. Upon entering Slate, guests are visually drawn to a stunning and curvaceous 54-foot sweeping fiber optic luminescent glass bar along with separate lounge areas. The Plus Lounge features restful sofas and over-sized plush chairs, creating a sleek social, living-room atmosphere, while staying true to comfort and functionality. Our lower level caters to the sophisticated gamer providing billiards and ping pong as well as an inviting lounge and full bar. We also provide a full service restaurant with a New American seasonal menu, featuring a wide array of over-sized appetizers to share, salads, sandwiches, burgers, and personal pizzas. No matter what your culinary preference is, the cuisine at Slate is sure to thrill your palate and satisfy your hunger.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Slate reviews from OpenTable diners
4 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (3)late-night find (2)fit for foodies (1)hot spot (1)neighborhood gem (1)special occasion (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- A Must ExperiencekimmyDined on 10/2/2014It was my 1st time at Slate. I absolutely loved it. Drinks were great. Love the environment. Lots of fun. Service could have been better but overall I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sucky serviceChsnb24Dined on 9/28/2014I was really disappointed in this place. It looked so nice, too bass we had a bad experience.Special Features:
- The following 22 reviews are from the Slate reviews archive.
- PLEASE CONFIRM RESV PRIOR TO GOING!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/20/2014PLEASE confirm your reservation before going as my party CLEARLY had a confirmation email and number....and STILL, upon arriving, we were told there was no record of our reservation. Fortunately, they were still able to seat us. The drinks were great, the food was slightly above average.....someone in our party ordered a shrimp dish and the shrimp had NOT BEEN DEVEINED!!!!....so use caution if ordering shrimp. Our waitress was good, but I think she had too many tables to work at one time.....she was friendly and did her best to accommodate our requests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoyableKarenrVIPDined on 6/18/2014Slate is a neighborhood favorite for us. The food is consistently of good quality, good taste and is a great value. The drinks are good sized and fairly priced as well. We have been coming since it opened and have never been disappointed. Well done Slate!Special Features:
- Great spot for DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/13/2014Love this place for a late night dinner and a fun atmosphere.
- Great after work or birthday spotNanaVIPDined on 5/21/2014Slate's always a good stop after work, with their drink specials and sports tables. The food is also reasonably priced and pretty good. The only drawback is the bad reception you get down there, but other than that there isn't much else to complain about.Special Features:
- Nice experiencePoliDined on 5/15/2014Brought my staff here for dinner and drinks. We arrived between 5pm and 5:30pm and the place was generally empty at that time. We were given the option to sit almost anywhere we'd like, but some areas were reserved. Game tables were not open until hours later which was disappointing. We were seated and ordered food and drinks. No issues with the drinks and food was good. Chicken wings were good, nachos were ok, guacamole and chips was simple but ok, and burgers for dinner were good. Price was good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great scene, greater foodNanaVIPDined on 3/26/2014Slate is one of those rare finds that makes you want to go back. I had a birthday event there a few years ago that my best friend put together for me. It started off bad because we paid for a room and ended up downstairs at a small table. The guy who brokered the deal was to blame but long story short, we had to pay an exponential amount to get the room upstairs and after that everything went great. I went back to Slate to meet up with a friend I hadn't seen in a while and it was a great time. The food was really good and the ambiance was great for what we needed to discuss. However, the waiters kept disappearing and it wasn't that packed for them to be that absent that often so I was a bit annoyed by that. Aside from that, it was great.Special Features:
- Great night out!justriteDined on 3/19/2014Enjoyed the dinner and the night out with my honey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnnoyedAnnoyedDined on 11/9/2013After a lot of back and forth with hostesses at Slate my 8:30pm reservations were confirmed. When we arrive we are told by the bouncer we can't come in due to a private event. It was extremely inconvenient for everyone, it would have been easier for all if Slate just closed the venue altogether and cancelled my reservations but all the people I spoke with said it was confirmed and we would just need to wait to be seated due to the private event. I would never recommend any one to go to slate due to the poor service, miscommunication and poor planning I experienced With them.
- My Birthday was so much fun!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/8/2013Slate did an amazing job to make my birthday so much fun! The service was great, the venue was not too crowded and the drinks were non stop!!!!! Great time for large groups and parties!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a first DatepapiRayDined on 10/11/2013The whole atmosphere was perfect for my first date, as we had time to talk and get to know each other because of the really good ambience. I love this spot!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, eh serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/13/2013Once we got our burgers we were satisfied with our choice to eat at Slate. But we had to wait at the bar for awhile before someone acknowledged us. There were only 2 other people sitting at the bar, and only about 10 people in the whole place at 7pm on a Saturday. The 3 bartenders didn't say "we'll be right with you" or something similar to acknowledge us and let us know they were busy. The burgers, caesar salad, and the chocolate chip cookie dessert were delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yikes.njp584VIPDined on 7/3/2013I was legitimately excited to go Slate for burgers and a drink or two. My wife and I went expecting high end burgers and a nice restaurant scene. We were led downstairs to what would appear to be a lounge area, which is aging leather chairs, many with large tears or exposed canvas surrounding tabletops that come up to your upper shin. The burgers were borderlin flavorless, the fries were soggy and worse than anything you'd get from Red Robin, and the Caesar Salad was basically chopped romaine with Kraft Caesar dressing. It felt like eating off a coffee table in an old, sad lounge. The waitress was nice, but overall, I would not recommend Slate.
- COOLAlexaDined on 5/24/2013A very nice fun place to go with groups or double dates!!! I went there on a double date and we had a BLAST. Played pool, ate, and drank all night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I enjoyed it it was comfortableOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/26/2013I enjoyed it it was comfortable music was good,I did not get to play pool someone was having a private party downstairs,I would love to go back.Special Features:
- Not what we were looking forHaymcjDined on 4/7/2013Would have been a fun place with friends, but not exactly a romantic place for date night. Our drinks were good, but we ordered chips and salsa and the chips were stale. We were a little disappointed.Special Features:
- I had the Salmon and wings,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/28/2012I had the Salmon and wings, they were ok. Atmosphere started out mellow then dark and enrgetic as the night progressed. No cocktail drink options for happy hour. Server was pleasant and informative.
- This is not really a restaurant,OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/2/2012This is not really a restaurant, It's a pool hall. I went there with a friend for dinner and we ended up leaving because they were going to serve us at couches and a coffee table. IT would have been fine if we were ordering bar food, but it was not a good spot for a sit down meal to catch up with friend. Nice pool hall though.Special Features:
- I came here with some girlfriendsOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/19/2011I came here with some girlfriends for a fun Saturday night out. It was pretty quiet and because the space is so large, it felt a bit empty. The food was upscale bar food - descent, but nothing special. Very reasonably priced. The only downside was that we made a reservation for 7:30, but the table had a $300 minimum beginning at 9. It would have been nice if OpenTable had made a note of that before we booked.Special Features:
- Pool tables and its bar areaOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/16/2011Pool tables and its bar area are in the basement and the food at the bar is sub-par.Special Features:
- We went very early so my friendOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/6/2010We went very early so my friend would be ready to run the marathon the next day (6 pm). As such, we were the only people in the restaurant. Given that, we thought we'd have good service: not the case. They weren't ready for us when we arrived, so we had to wait. When we were seated, we ordered three waters and a beer, and the beer that arrived was incorrect (he wanted a Guiness, and they served a Stella: a pretty obvious difference that the waitress didn't understand). Once we ordered, the waitress had to come back to the order because she'd forgotten the sides for two of our party. We waited for our appetizer, but it didn't arrive until after every entree was on the table. Most of the time, our waitress forgot us.
- I enjoyed our experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/16/2010I enjoyed our experience. The hostesses and waitress were very accommodating and the ambiance was great. I will definitely go back, a large group could have so much fun!Special Features:
- The beauty of going to a late-nightnebo343Dined on 12/15/2007The beauty of going to a late-night place for brunch is that you get the upside of the soaring space with none of the drawbacks, like all the crowds and noise. We had a 4 hour brunch, attentive service, good food and the place to ourselves. What could be bad?Special Features: