1 Ferry Building #3
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
VietnamesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.slanteddoor.com/
- Phone: 4158618032x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Saturday: 11:00am-2:30pm, Sunday 11:30am-3:00pm; Dinner: Monday-Sunday: 5:30pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vietnamese
- Executive Chef: Charles Phan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For catering information, please contact us at email@example.com
- Private Party Facilities: The Slanted Door has several options for groups wishing to hold special events. Our PRIVATE DINING ROOM accommodates 12-20 guests for a quiet sit-down dinner. Our LOUNGE is available for semi-private cocktail parties for 20-50 people or seated dinners for up to 40. Our PATIO is available seasonally for parties of 40-70.
- Private Party Contact: Beth Alvey 415-321-3003x
- Cross Street: On Embarcadero between Mission and Clay St.
- Public Transit: The Ferry building is served by public transportation: Muni, Golden Gate Transit, Bart, F Train. Ferry service is available with Golden Gate Ferry, Blue and Gold Fleet and Bay Link Ferries. For more information, visit www.transitinfo.org and www.sfport.com
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: The Ferry Building offers the following validated parking.
Embarcadero@ Washington lot (across from Pier 1)
Validated rate of $2.00/hr for the first 2 hours; $6/hr thereafter.
A word from Slanted Door
Slanted Door is Charles Phan's modern Vietnamese restaurant. Charles aims to showcase the abundance of sustainably farmed produce as well as meat, game and poultry found at farms around the San Francisco Bay Area and globe.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Slanted Door - Best Restaurants in Financial District / Embarcadero ›
Slanted Door reviews from OpenTable diners
775 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
scenic view (529)fit for foodies (506)hot spot (345)special occasion (331)good for groups (300)great for lunch (233)vibrant bar scene (171)great for outdoor dining (151)notable wine list (120)neighborhood gem (94)romantic (75)great for brunch (58)kid-friendly (58)late-night find (40)Show More
- Great foodMelemellyVIPDined on 10/19/2014Quite busy even at 915 on a Sunday night, which is always a good indicator of excellent food and we were not disappointed. We shared the veggie spring rolls, cellophane noodles, filet mignon (superb dipping vinaigrette) and cauliflower and that was enough for 2 people. If we had room we would have tried the cotton candy dessert! A bit expensive but glad we made this our one special dinner while visiting San FranSpecial Features:
- Love this placeNewbieVIPDined on 10/18/2014Never ever a bad meal and our service was excellent, tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have yet to disappoint...OhmanVIPDined on 10/18/2014We were stuck in traffic n called that we would be late. D hostess was kind enough to change our reservations to a later time to accommodate us. Plc was packed as usual but we were promptly seated when we arrived. Ordered the wanton soup (no noodles), cellophane crab noodles, rainbow chard, flat iron steak. All items tasted great! For dessert, had the confectioners sugar plate (cotton candy) which my son loved! Service was attentive and friendly, views were nice too! A great dining experience on the wholeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/17/2014Been many times and the food is always outstanding. Always take friends from out of town who are visiting. Only issue is noise level, which is extremely loud and makes it a little difficult to have a conversation. Waiter was outstanding.Special Features:
- Expensive, but great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/16/2014I had a friend from Asia visiting for a couple days and the Ferry Building was a great place to meet up and eat. I picked Slanted Door because it has a reputation for great food and she's a foodie so I figured she'd appreciate it. Lunch was amazingly delicious. I made an 1130a reservation and the restaurant opens at 1130a so it was perfect; mostly empty. It filled up fast though and was quite crowded when we left around 1p. 5 star dishes were the green papaya salad, caramelized wild shrimp, lemongrass chicken and (revelatory) braised tofu with lemongrass and chili. The only unremarkable dish was the fresh spring rolls (meh). Good wait staff and bus staff. We had a great time and enjoyed sitting in a booth overlooking the bay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SaigonSalDined on 10/15/2014Booked this restaurant for the last meal of our holiday in California and maybe our expectations were too high but it certainly didn't come up to them. It's described as modern Vietnamese cooking but even allowing for a nod to American cuisine, it didn't seem very Vietnamese to us other than the spring rolls. Rack of lamb?? There were very few local wines available by glass or half bottle and no Vietnamese or Asian beers for sale. And the noise level was excessive.Special Features:
- Great Service - Great FoodKymcanuDined on 10/15/2014Food is served family style (which we loved so more food can be shared!). We ordered an amazing steak to share, split a few appetizers, and a noodle bowl, and walked away stuffed! The waiter was second to none. When I started to order my own entree he said...no no no. That is too much food, and then proceeded to tell us about family style and making sure we tried the a very tasty ceviche. Spot On!!!! It was delicious. The best ever! This is one of those restarants we will return to again and again! With sharing of the food, we didn't overspend! It was GREAT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grand wee nightyapurehoorDined on 10/14/2014We were visiting from the UK on honeymoon. The staff were a delight. It is loud and busy, but that's never been a bad thing. Beautiful ribs, Shaking Beef and cocktails. That's all you need... oh and the browned butter cake, definitely, don't forget to order that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/14/2014Was nice to finally get a reservation there. Well worth the wait. Recomend the experience.Special Features:
- Did not disappointDebMDined on 10/14/2014We booked weeks ahead from Australia and were pleased we did. The food was fantastic and the service even better. The noise level is an issue however. The shaking beef is expensive and a little overrated, we thought. Try the imperial spring rolls, the eggplant dish and the seafood ceviche- exquisite!Special Features:
- Great food, great locationOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/14/2014Food was amazing - lives up to the hype for sure! We did a number of small plates so we could share and taste a lot of different foods. Everything was amazing, I will be sure to come back to have moreSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slanted Door never disappoints!F00dDined on 10/13/2014The food is always fantastic, the service is great and the servers are very knowledgeable about the food and wine pairings. The location provides a beautiful view during the day. You can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great ViewHitsendletgoDined on 10/12/2014My mom and I ate at the bar. Our bartender was a total professional and gave us great food and drink recommendations. The other diners were also super friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tired!OscarDined on 10/11/2014Large. Impersonal. Uninspired. Resting on its laurels. Food and staff was uninspiring and unenthusiastic. We were disappointed.
- Always a treatHappyfoodDined on 10/10/2014Wonderful food again! Appreciated that we were seated at our reservation time. Like the 1/2 glass wine for pairing. Never disappointedSpecial Features:
- Awesome Vietnamese restaurant.JasonAndKatieDined on 10/10/2014On our trip to San Francisco we wanted to try some different restaurants that are not readily available at home. The Slanted door didn't dissapoint. From the outstanding water view and ambiance to the delicious food, we throughly enjoyed it. The service was outstanding. They even made room oldie our baby stroller. For appetizers; the spare ribs were great but the dumplings were the best I've ever had. For dinner, we loved the clay pot chicken and their signature steak dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch with MikoBetoDined on 10/10/2014Our rendezvous lunch with friend Miko from Scotland was all we expected and more. Starting with yummy Slanted Door Rolls, then Shaky Beef- tender and savory, and Clay Pot Chicken, gingery and flavorful. Our desserts were a pina colada and margarita- nice. Waiter Jack was attentive but not bothersome. Going at 11:45 was a good idea because 30 minutes later the room was packed. It will be a very memorable lunch.Special Features:
- Simply outstandingjhfeerickDined on 10/9/2014Great food combinations. Everything tasted exceptional. Well worth it. Did family style and tasted multiple dishes. Have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Did not disappointOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/9/2014Great experience at Slanted Door. Food was very, very good. Would recommend that anyone going to SF should try it - especially if you enjoy Asian food.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceSharonIDined on 10/8/2014Always great food, service, view - the whole experience is wonderful. For the past 2 years our small group meet here once a month for lunch. We have tried other Embarcadero restaurants but keep coming back to The Slanted Door. We always say " Why don't we come here more often", so we will never stray again. The Slanted Door offers the best overall experience and the food is always excellent and the staff is welcoming and knowledgeable. We also love the French wines on the wine list. Love the Gau Choy Gow, Cellophane Noodles w/Crab, Green Papaya Salad, Grapefruit/Jicama Salad, Spicy Squid, Arctic Char. Love it all.Special Features:
- NEVER FAILS!!southcitydocVIPDined on 10/7/2014EVERY time I visit San Francisco I HAVE to go here and as usual it was FANTASTIC! Took 2 friends for their first time and they LOVED IT!!Special Features:
- Night of the Harvest MoonkmpchitownDined on 10/7/2014Party of 4 with a client. Window table with a view of the Bay Bridge. Awesome server! Asked for recommendations and only chose those. Ceviche-fresh as all get out. Spring Roll Wraps-that sweet/sour/spicy tasty combo we all crave. Followed by clay pot chicken, scallops in an awesome Thai coconut sauce, and the tender squid. Savory/spicy/sweet heaven. Awesome beer selection. By this time, the Harvest moon had risen above the bay Bridge and created an even more awesome spectacle than the meal. Job well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a new experience every timemirellabDined on 10/7/2014I've only been to Slanted Door a couple of times, each time with colleagues. This time, I was with out-of-town colleagues who consider themselves foodies. This was a great choice for our group because it is easy to share all of the dishes (maybe the cotton candy dessert was a little messy for sharing!) and we could order many items. All of them were fantastic and memorable (we were talking about the eggplant and shaking beef dishes the next day). I feel like it is a new experience every time I go there. Amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going to SF? Slanted Door is a mustOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/6/2014I asked people where to go in San Francisco and Slanted Door came in all 4 recommendations. In the ferry building, it's a great combination of food, location and ambiance. Prices are reasonable and the food delicious. Can't want to go back. Make sure you book though, we went on Monday night and it was jamming full!Special Features:
- Great ExperienceTinayDined on 10/5/2014We had a great time. For appetizers, the spareribs are a must try as well as the crispy and fresh spring rolls. The entrées were executed perfectly and are great enough for 2-3 people. The beef curry was falling off the bone; porkchops were moist and tender and the shaking beef was worth it. Their take on teas is quite unique, using fresh ingredients and not from a teabag. The desserts were well-balanced, not too overwhelming. To end our meal we shared had the chocolate truffle bar, the cinnamon vanilla churros which paired well with the spiced hot chocolate and a complimentary apple tarte with bay leaf ice cream as they were already out of the browned butter cake we asked for, a reason to come back to the slanted door. Great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but too crowdedhbeachmomVIPDined on 10/4/2014We had a 7:45 PM reservation for 6 people. After 8 PM they offered a table outside, but we wanted inside. We had to practically beg for them to seat us somewhere. There were tables for 4 available - they finally put one of those together for us about 8:30. They were not very nice about the situation. The food is excellent, but the place has become so popular that I am no longer interested in fighting the crowds here, especially because San Francisco is filled with good restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the ViewNotreallyfussyDined on 10/2/2014....and stay for the carefully prepared and delicious Vietnamese food.Special Features:
- FantasticDedeVIPDined on 10/2/2014So many creative flavors. We must take the ferry over for lunch more often.Special Features:
- Overpriced Vietnamese FoodSandeeliciousVIPDined on 10/1/2014While everything tastes great, it's really over priced for what it is. There was nothing special about it.Special Features:
- Very enjoyablefranc01seDined on 10/1/2014Had a fantastic time with my daughter. The food was delicious and we could talk without the need to scream, or without having to whisper in fear to be constantly overheard: just normal conversation. Sweet memory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Annual LunchQ1NTQ10Dined on 10/1/2014I have been going to Slanted Door for years...all three locations. A few years ago, a dear friend and I decided to celebrate her birthday at Slanted Door. We now make it an annual event. The food remains excellent and we have so much fun. We always pair our wines and eat until we can't eat another bite.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/30/2014well I like it, I was surprised after reading so many bad reviews about a fading restaurant living off past glories, food was good so was serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern StyleSouthernstyleDined on 9/30/2014The staff's recommendations on the food was spot on and the view was fantastic. There were four of us and we were given a great table. Go early or very late to get the best seats. Will dine here again next time I am in San Francisco.Special Features:
- Wonderful, but...1eastbayoldieDined on 9/30/2014Absolutely loved the food. Service was great. Bathroom spotless. Noise level is a downer, because we are older and wear hearing aids. The decibel count might be ok for the jaded younger people who don't know better. For the older crowd some soundproofing would definitely put the experience over the top. That being said, can't imagine a better place for quality fresh food. The care put into selecting ingredients and preparation is undeniable. The kitchen's mastery sets this place notches above most others in S.F. Will return with ear plugs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Utterly disappointedChicagoJayneVIPDined on 9/29/2014I was so looking forward to this dinner. Restaurant has fabulous reputation & I was blown away by quality of appetizers while there for happy hour a few months ago. Still can't process how average everything was for dinner this week. Cancelled a second reservation I had to go there with my husband & a friend. Won't go back. Oh, and waitress while nice, seemed perpetually distracted.
- Deception !upvtDined on 9/28/2014Totally overrated and overpriced. Food and presentation very unremarkable. Will not come back and will not recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- great balieRossDined on 9/28/2014great cocktails, attentive knowledgable staff prompt but not rushedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overpriced small portionsDisappointedDined on 9/27/2014Portions are small in size and overpriced. There are many other Asian fusion restaurants that offer more for less and taste just as good. The cellophane noodles cost $21 and supposedly consists of green onion, dungeness crab and sesame. There were tiny bits and pieces of dungeness crab that needed much effort to find. The noodle dish was completely devoid of any meaniningful amount of crab and thus was overpriced. We ended up paying for what was essentially a plain noodle dish. Other dishes tasted okay, but were overpriced. For example, the scallop dish came with five pieces which equates to about $6 per scallop. The service, though, was outstanding. Too bad the food doesn't match the service.Special Features:
- Good Food - Great SceneDineDivineDined on 9/27/2014Would definitely recommend Slanted Door for special occasions. The food is good, view is awesome, and service was just right. However it is quite pricey - but find that is is worth it for the special occasions.Special Features:
- Why I gave 4 instead of 5 for foodFoodieDined on 9/27/2014The Vietnamese Crepes were soggy. Usually they are crispy good!Special Features: