1 Ferry Building #3
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
VietnamesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.slanteddoor.com/
- Phone: 4158618032x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Saturday: 11:00am-2:30pm, Sunday 11:30am-3:00pm; Dinner: Monday-Sunday: 5:30pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vietnamese
- Executive Chef: Charles Phan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For catering information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Facilities: The Slanted Door has several options for groups wishing to hold special events. Our PRIVATE DINING ROOM accommodates 12-20 guests for a quiet sit-down dinner. Our LOUNGE is available for semi-private cocktail parties for 20-50 people or seated dinners for up to 40. Our PATIO is available seasonally for parties of 40-70.
- Private Party Contact: Beth Alvey 415-321-3003x
- Cross Street: On Embarcadero between Mission and Clay St.
- Public Transit: The Ferry building is served by public transportation: Muni, Golden Gate Transit, Bart, F Train. Ferry service is available with Golden Gate Ferry, Blue and Gold Fleet and Bay Link Ferries. For more information, visit www.transitinfo.org and www.sfport.com
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: The Ferry Building offers the following validated parking.
Embarcadero@ Washington lot (across from Pier 1)
Validated rate of $2.00/hr for the first 2 hours; $6/hr thereafter.
A word from Slanted Door
Slanted Door is Charles Phan's modern Vietnamese restaurant. Charles aims to showcase the abundance of sustainably farmed produce as well as meat, game and poultry found at farms around the San Francisco Bay Area and globe.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Slanted Door - Best Restaurants in Financial District / Embarcadero ›
Slanted Door reviews from OpenTable diners
819 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
scenic view (569)fit for foodies (507)special occasion (367)hot spot (345)good for groups (290)great for lunch (252)vibrant bar scene (168)great for outdoor dining (141)notable wine list (115)neighborhood gem (98)romantic (84)great for brunch (75)kid-friendly (63)late-night find (36)Show More
- OUTSTANDING!!CsheppDined on 9/15/2014We have been hearing the "hype" about Slanted Door for so long and finally got a chance to try it for lunch for my husband's birthday. We were seated at a table outdoors on a beautiful day. View is spectacular. Food is incredible. Service is excellent. Every aspect of our dining experience was OUTSTANDING! Treat yourself and go to Slanted Door.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Exceeded even my highest expectations. Great food!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2014What a menu ! Great food and really enjoyed the wonderful advice and help we got from our server to enhance our food selection and dining experience. It was a little difficult to get a reservation and the noise level is definitely up there but despite that it was well worth it. I would definitely recommend this place to all my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerribleFernandaEMDined on 9/13/2014Terribly crowded and loud, ugly, tables too close. Fancy price, not fancy ambiance.
- lunch reviewraisoreoDined on 9/13/2014The food was good not great for the price. The waitress forgot the second drink, we reminded her at the end of the meal, no comp for the miss, that's bad. In all I have had better food there as I have been many times, this time I was surprised that the food was okay. I had Vietnamese food the day before at a small place in San Mateo. The food was just as good for a quarter of the price. Slanted Door has the view, but there many more placed in the Ferry building and at the farmers market that serve better food.Special Features:
- Friendly and all classBaybabeDined on 9/12/2014First off, we were 30 minutes early and that was no problem. We were seated outside on a beautiful, warm day. The menu was amazing and our server helped us make excellent choices. The food was delicious, unique, flavorful and fresh. We never had to look for service. Most amazing was at the end of our meal, we were discussing the day ahead. Three long time friends meeting in the city for a day of exploration. As our city map was out on the table, our server kindly offered help. We asked him for 'must see' places away from tourists. My proposed walk through the hills was exactly matched by our server's recommendations. So friendly and helpful. Will return and recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Insufficient flavorFoodFTWDined on 9/12/2014Seated promptly for a reservation for 2 people at 11:30 AM and the lunch rush came in shortly after Noon. It was difficult to have a conversation with tables set up 12 inches on either side of us. All in all, a pleasant enough meal, but the rub of this restaurant is the price. Even ordering from the lower end of the menu, these 2 meals totaled $45. For that much money for lunch, every bite should be delicious and that was definitely not the case. And when you charge over $20 for 6 pieces of shrimp, it's a bit of a slap to the face to have them served with the tails still on. Great views of the Bay Bridge can be had at many other restaurants, as can great Vietnamese food in the SF area.Special Features:
- DELICIOUS!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/11/2014Perfect for a large group! Prix Fixe menu was AMAZING!! Thanks for a great night!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good, but slippingJeff0616VIPDined on 9/11/2014I've made a point of coming here every visit. Food is fantastic, but the staff is starting to act like we are lucky to be there...... Perhaps we are?Special Features:
- Long Time Slanted Door CustomerBrunchVIPDined on 9/11/2014The food and drinks remain fantastic. The decor is a lot of glass - so it is noisy and loud. Our wait staff was good - but it has been better in the past.......but I am writing due to a new experience: The hostess role has taken on a new and unfortunate light. Whether you have a reservation or not - you are forced to wait in line which can be 20+ people deep at 5:30. Not only that - but they are obviously not happy because we watched the hostess helpers fuss with a cucumber slice in their water for 10 mins (5:40) vs helping people check in. Please fix this - your check in system is broken and NOT customer friendly!Special Features:
- Good food, haughty receptionPnjabanVIPDined on 9/10/2014The food here is good but the attitude at the front is stuck up and rude. I had to wait quite a while to be seated for my reservation despite my dining companion already being seated, due to slow, chaotic and rude service by the four front people milling about and talking to each other but not the customers. After that, the servers wanted to clear the plates even before we were finished eating. Thye food is good but the service spoiled the meal for me.
- Crispy Imperial Rolls...the best!KatsDined on 9/10/2014The Slanted Door served great modern Vietnamese food and I love it! I've been there 4 times now and enjoyed it every time. I absolutely love their Crispy Imperial Rolls. We tried new items this time and enjoyed them all. Had a couple comments on a couple, but overall everything was great. I posted a complete review with lots of great photos on my review blog at www.delish-dish.com. Check it out!Special Features:
- chillmanDined on 9/9/2014Entertained two out of town business guests. They were incredibly impressed with the food, scenic view of the Bay Bridge and their dancing lights and the waiter was awesome. He even treated us to their famous spool of cotton candy. Great venue to showcase the wonderful city of San Francisco.Special Features:
- Place has gone downhillwilmaDined on 9/8/2014Food was average but the service was awful. Started out with attentive waitress but then she got a large table of 20 and we never saw her again. Took 30 minutes for another drink. Couple of the dishes were bland. Very disappointing, won't return.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/8/2014This is not my first time, nor will it be the last. The food is always amazing!Special Features:
- Superb!FrankDined on 9/7/2014Simply outstanding! Service was great! Food was great! Ambience was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- impeccable!savgirlDined on 9/7/2014everything, from start to finish, was impeccable! the hostess greeted us warmly, & our beautiful c-shaped table was ready right away, with a stunning view of the bay bridge. our server, kelly, was amazing and honest! she recommended the most delicious dishes for us, based on our input. if you go, you must get the crispy imperial rolls! we didn't stop talking about them for days. and the lime sauce with the shaking beef is still making my mouth water. the slanted door was a beautiful, warm, fun venue for a special occasion trip! worth every penny.Special Features:
- dinnerskteDined on 9/7/2014Way tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo loud.Special Features:
- Good but not incredibleGeorgeDined on 9/7/2014Perhaps it was like that movie everyone is raving about but when you see it you are disappointed. There was so much hype about Slanted Door that I was expecting an incredible dining experience but instead it was just good. I would still recommend this place to others, but with half the dishes we shared I felt I have had similar but better examples elsewhere in the past.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- slanted doorKLeongDined on 9/7/2014We had raw oysters, white wine and several dishes. The oysters were shriveled and tasteless. No good restaurant should serve such grade of oysters. The server response when brought to her attention was just sorry. The recommended wines were to our liking and the option of half glass enabled us to taste more. The Berkshire pork chop and scallops were quite good but the other dishes received a C grade. The chicken in clay port was too sweet. The mixed squash was muted in flavor even though it had the in-house bacon in it. In general the flavors were muted and would not be attractive to Asians used to Vietnamese or Chinese food.
- Great Food...butFoodeeDined on 9/7/2014It was my first time in San Francisco and this place was recommended by a friend. Reserved through open table but had to wait for 20min until our table was available...but yummy food and great wine! definitely try the shrimp dumplings for appetizers :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Slanted Door Dining ExperienceLuv2dineFamilyDined on 9/7/2014We love the patio seating...first time we were offered that choice. Nice view! However, the male hostess and our waitress weren't very attentive. We had to ask him several times for the coloring sheets for my kids. And the waitress was too chatty with other customers and didn't really bother to check on our table as much. A few times I had to wave my hand for her attention. The wooden baked char filet was very good but came out uncooked. We had to send back to make it well done. Next, the shaking beef was too well done when we had specified medium well. So that also sent back to the kitchen. Other the dishes were great! Our family had been dining here several times but this was the first time we weren't too happy with the service.Special Features:
- Fantastic DinnerMyReviewsVIPDined on 9/6/2014We tried 8 different dishes and 4 desserts shared among 4 of us for dinner. Each plate was excellent and I would order again. Can't wait to go back. We were given a great table with a bay view. It was a little loud because of the number of tables and hard surfaces but we were able to hear each other. Call early for reservations, it books up fast!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wanted to like but...cookbookieDined on 9/6/2014I first came across this restaurant thru Charles Phan's excellent book. At home I cooked wonderful meals for my family and had to go to the restaurant to have a meal. Great location, vibrant ambiance but for me the food was okay bordering on disappointing. I guess I had set my expectations too high. When the food tastes like the way I cook it there must be something missing because I am not an inspiring chef. I was looking for the moment I put my fork down, close my eyes and let the smell, taste and texture inspire me to know what the recipes should taste like. Would have loved to have tried his original restaurant when it was on Brannan.Special Features:
- Service and food were lackinglerchDined on 9/6/2014Came for lunch with limited time. We had a reservation and were seated 10 minutes early, we ordered appetizers and entrees immediately, but we waited nearly an hour between finishing the appetizers and receiving our entrees. Not really the pace I was expecting for a lunch service. When they did come, the broccoli had kind of an overcooked flavor, it was supposed to be spicy and flavorful but we didn't even eat half. The beef that was one of the most expensive things on the menu and their "signature" almost tasted gamey, like lamb or boar or something, but since it was beef and not lamb or boar, it was not what I was hoping for. We were told there was an issue in the kitchen, so maybe this was a fluke, but still $100+ spent.
- Fantastic! A must eat hereCBooDined on 9/5/2014Best dining experience! Amazing food and service! If you're in San Francisco book ahead and go to the slanted door! Worth every delicious bite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!! Food is awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Loved how fresh the food was and the wait staff was wonderful. Loved that I was able to get reservations while in San Francisco. I 100% recommend to visit if you are coming to the City. I will be backSpecial Features:
- So specialJS16Dined on 9/5/2014I had dined here twice before on previous trips to SF, and was delighted to celebrate 41 years of friendship with three dear friends from across the country. The food, location, service and atmosphere were thoroughly enjoyed by all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Location, view, good foodBillVIPDined on 9/5/2014My test is bang/buck for the food. This one passes. Parking is a problem except for valet at the Ferry Building. Learn sign language - it's loud!! Bring your tourist friends here. Not much else.Special Features:
- Noise level problemsWandaDined on 9/3/2014Food over the top delicious, service outstanding, drinks great, but noise level extremely high, could not carry on a conversation easily with my wife sitting right next to me, will not go again until this is corrected
- Upscale AsianEyp708VIPDined on 9/3/2014We weren't sure what to expect at The Slanted Door. The space itself is huge and accommodated many large groups and diners of all ages from what we could see. The food came out quickly and was delicious! Portion sizes are quite generous and you only need a handful of dishes to share before you're comfortably full. The only problem we encountered was the table beside us was seated much later than us and ordered much later than us, but got their food quite a bit earlier than us, even though they had the same server. We think there must've been a mix up as we ordered almost the exact same dishes. Otherwise, it was a good experience and we would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday at the Slanted DoorsandraandersonVIPDined on 9/3/2014We enjoyed my birthday dinner at Slanted Door. Liked the atmosphere, food and view. It is noisy, but that's part of the ambiance.Special Features:
- Good food, slow service, overhypedClayEatsDined on 9/2/2014Was really looking forward to The Slanted Door and had heard many good things. I left somewhat disappointed. We had a 9pm reservation for a week night. When we arrived our table was not ready and had to wait 30 minutes to be seated. What is the point of a reservation if we have to wait 30 minutes for a table on a weeknight? So seated at 9:30, dinner not until 10pm... a bad start. Service, especially bringing the check was slow as well. The restaurant was busy and LOUD. The food was good, but not great. Certainly not as good as the hype. My favorite part was the cotton candy dessert. "Shaken Beef" a specialty of theirs was OK, but had too much gristle for $36 cubed filet. Clay pot chicken was tasty but consistency reminded of cheap takeout.Special Features:
- A favorite of ours.WhywelivehereDined on 9/2/2014Consistently great food, fresh and creative. The wait staff is almost always lovely and knowledgeable (we had a companion who is severely allergic to gluten, and this was handled extremely well). Always a favorite, the yellowtail sashimi and the shaking beef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodTjc88Dined on 9/1/2014Its the second time here!the food is just amazing!i had shrimps oysters chicken rolls rice salad everything was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always top notchJerryDined on 9/1/2014We took our friends there to celebrate their wedding anniversary after telling them that we were going to have dinner at a pizza place in North Beach. Needless to say they were thrilled when I drove up in front of the Ferry Building. We had invited them to our daughter's birthday party at Slated Door over 2 years ago and they enjoyed this visit even more. Without a doubt one of the BEST restaurants anywhere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cravenravenOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/1/2014Both food and service was outstanding. We ordered to much and had leftovers. They did not last long. What we loved the most was the melon salad, which we inhaled. We will be back soon I hope.Special Features:
- Poor servicedisappointedDined on 9/1/2014Waitress Adrienne never came back to our table after order. She was so rudeSpecial Features:
- Solid food, nice locaiton.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/1/2014Solid food, good view. Restaurant was larger than I expected; service was okay.Special Features:
- overrateddspoppDined on 8/31/2014Although my reservation was spot on, everything else about SD was a bust. Service was horrendous, the food unimpressive and very over priced. TripAdvisor and Yelp reviews are all over the map. My advice, stay clear.Special Features: