1 Ferry Building #3
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
VietnamesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.slanteddoor.com/
- Phone: 4158618032x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Saturday: 11:00am-2:30pm, Sunday 11:30am-3:00pm; Dinner: Monday-Sunday: 5:30pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vietnamese
- Executive Chef: Charles Phan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For catering information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Facilities: The Slanted Door has several options for groups wishing to hold special events. Our PRIVATE DINING ROOM accommodates 12-20 guests for a quiet sit-down dinner. Our LOUNGE is available for semi-private cocktail parties for 20-50 people or seated dinners for up to 40. Our PATIO is available seasonally for parties of 40-70.
- Private Party Contact: Beth Alvey 415-321-3003x
- Cross Street: On Embarcadero between Mission and Clay St.
- Public Transit: The Ferry building is served by public transportation: Muni, Golden Gate Transit, Bart, F Train. Ferry service is available with Golden Gate Ferry, Blue and Gold Fleet and Bay Link Ferries. For more information, visit www.transitinfo.org and www.sfport.com
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: The Ferry Building offers the following validated parking.
Embarcadero@ Washington lot (across from Pier 1)
Validated rate of $2.00/hr for the first 2 hours; $6/hr thereafter.
A word from Slanted Door
Slanted Door is Charles Phan's modern Vietnamese restaurant. Charles aims to showcase the abundance of sustainably farmed produce as well as meat, game and poultry found at farms around the San Francisco Bay Area and globe.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Slanted Door - Best Restaurants in Financial District / Embarcadero ›
Slanted Door reviews from OpenTable diners
806 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
scenic view (553)fit for foodies (502)special occasion (356)hot spot (346)good for groups (301)great for lunch (244)vibrant bar scene (177)great for outdoor dining (149)notable wine list (117)neighborhood gem (96)romantic (81)great for brunch (67)kid-friendly (56)late-night find (35)Show More
- Deception !upvtDined on 9/28/2014Totally overrated and overpriced. Food and presentation very unremarkable. Will not come back and will not recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- great balieRossDined on 9/28/2014great cocktails, attentive knowledgable staff prompt but not rushedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overpriced small portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014Portions are small in size and overpriced. There are many other Asian fusion restaurants that offer more for less and taste just as good. The cellophane noodles cost $21 and supposedly consists of green onion, dungeness crab and sesame. There were tiny bits and pieces of dungeness crab that needed much effort to find. The noodle dish was completely devoid of any meaniningful amount of crab and thus was overpriced. We ended up paying for what was essentially a plain noodle dish. Other dishes tasted okay, but were overpriced. For example, the scallop dish came with five pieces which equates to about $6 per scallop. The service, though, was outstanding. Too bad the food doesn't match the service.Special Features:
- Good Food - Great SceneOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/27/2014Would definitely recommend Slanted Door for special occasions. The food is good, view is awesome, and service was just right. However it is quite pricey - but find that is is worth it for the special occasions.Special Features:
- DennisDined on 9/27/2014It was good but not as good as when it first opened.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BartenderRussihnoDined on 9/27/2014Mike was awesome, made my wife's and I experiance amazing. Not only was the food outstanding but the service was out of this world. I would suggest Slanted Door to everyone I know.Special Features:
- Fabulous foodVfrtomDined on 9/26/2014We dined here last year for the first time and returned again on this trip to San Fran. It didn't disappoint - delicious food, lively atmosphere and good service. Portions are large and are meant to be shared. It is fairly expensive but the food is great with lovely flavours and very well presented.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014The food was quite delicious, although very expensive. It was quite noisy and hard to have conversation. Our server was sufficient, but not particularly warm or attentive. The cocktails were yummy. Overall, a nice experience but not unforgettable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Business Upscale LunchGoodwin89Dined on 9/26/2014This is the first time that I had been to Slanted Door. The food and atmosphere were great! The choices recommended by our server were fantastic and he helped choose the right portions. Would definitely go back again for lunch or with my wife.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at the Slanted DoorNapafoodieDined on 9/26/2014This was my third time eating here. This time we had a group of six. Our lunch was fantastic and the service was really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not disappoint!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014Ate dinner here on recommendation of a coworker. Arrived at 7 pm for 8:30 reservation and offered a table immediately. Service was great, waiter recommendations right on and food was fabulous. If you like Asian food, this is the place! They serve family style, so the four of us ordered spring rolls to start followed by 3 entrees and a vegetable to share. Awesome! Only wish we didn't live 3000 miles away!Special Features:
- Great!JoAnneDined on 9/25/2014Met three friends at Slanted Door for lunch. They had taken the ferry from Emeryville, which docked just outside the door. We had a great lunch! Food was fantastic, and service was wonderful! The bar is great, and the atmosphere, view, etc. are all fabulous. I loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsTahoeLocalDined on 9/24/2014The Slanted Door is one of our "go to" spots. Spectacular fare and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slanted Door Wednesday EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/24/2014The food was good but not memorable. The noise level was too much for us. It was hard to have a conversation with our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All About the RibsJeanDined on 9/24/2014The short rib appetizer is fantastic, so is the ceviche. I wasn't impressed with the wild shrimp stir fry or the broccoli - both lacked flavor/spice. The service started off very slow then picked up.Special Features:
- Great spotMikeyDined on 9/23/2014You feel like you're truly in San Francisco when you're here. The views are great, the food is good, and the vibe is energetic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic as usualWineguyDined on 9/22/2014Took a friend for the first time to the restaurant, and he was floored. I made the reservation 2 months in advance, and was sat at a table by the window. Our server, know, was an absolute gem. When she found out that I worked in a restaurant, she had the kitchen send out an additional appetizer. Mark Cartland, the sommelier on duty, stopped by the table, and we chatted about wine, and informed him that I would be taking the Master Sommelier next year, and he asked for advice....if you want one of the best melas, start to finish, make sure you go to the Slanted Door.Special Features:
- Great FoodFoodiesDined on 9/22/2014The food at Slanted Door is delicious and interesting. Its casual atmosphere is great for young crowd and parties. However, it is a bit too noisy for me. Although some seats have a great view, the noise level and its cafeteria style are not conducive in creating a romantic atmosphere. Would not recommend for formal dating.Special Features:
- FANTASTICEileenVIPDined on 9/21/2014We took a group of friends to The Slanted Door recently and everyone loved it. The server helped us make the perfect choices and it was just a wonderful afternoon enjoying great food and some interesting cocktails.Special Features:
- Terrible service!!!!momof3Dined on 9/20/2014We have been to SL many times over the years and the service this time was terrible! From the rude bartender to our disappearing server....We will not be back! Very disappointed! Good food will only last so long....when the service goes downhill so will everything!
- Great atmosphere / Great FoodCRsuperDined on 9/19/2014Food was wonderful... great taste and presentation. The cotton candy dessert was fun! Our entire party had a great dining experience. I definitely recommend!Special Features:
- Interesting foodFoodie25hawaiiansanfranDined on 9/19/2014Great spot on the water in beautiful San Francisco Cost too much , for meal ,Special Features:
- The SceneMarzDined on 9/18/2014The attractiveness of the space situated on San Francisco's waterfront obscures the fact of the restaurant's immense size. Seating is arranged in three areas so that guests are never aware of the vastness of the large expanse. It is definitely a place to see and be seen! The menu selection flavorful and well-balanced and the wine and beer lists are appropriate to the menu. It is perfect for sizable groups of which there are many. Guests seem delighted with this venue and untroubled by the elevated noise level. Definitely would return just to "people watch."Special Features:
- My favorite restaurantCleocatraDined on 9/18/2014I love the fresh flavors and healthy preparation of all the dishes. I have never ordered a dish that I didn't like. Everything is superbly fresh and cooked perfectlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tough RibeyeTommybDined on 9/17/2014Ambience is fabulous. People nice. Difficult to make reservation. Very tough ribeye steak. Not Slanted Door standard. People were friendly and apologetic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food- TOO LOUDOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/17/2014So wonderful to have had this dining experience. The service was wonderful and the good was amazing, but even with an early dining time the din rendered normal table conversation almost impossible. I love eating out to be a social experience, but not with the several tables around me. Endure the noise level as the good is that good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Franco-Vietnamese FusionOlomanaDined on 9/16/2014The Slanted Door is a wonderful place to taste the combinations of flavors and styles that go together quite well. The cellophane noodles with crab is excellent, never gets old. The rest of the menu is varied, offering something for everyone to share. The plates are brought to the table for family sharing, so be careful not to order too much. Most dishes would go well with a pinot gris.Special Features:
- OUTSTANDING!!CsheppDined on 9/15/2014We have been hearing the "hype" about Slanted Door for so long and finally got a chance to try it for lunch for my husband's birthday. We were seated at a table outdoors on a beautiful day. View is spectacular. Food is incredible. Service is excellent. Every aspect of our dining experience was OUTSTANDING! Treat yourself and go to Slanted Door.Special Features:
- LlmoDined on 9/14/2014Exceeded even my highest expectations. Great food!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2014What a menu ! Great food and really enjoyed the wonderful advice and help we got from our server to enhance our food selection and dining experience. It was a little difficult to get a reservation and the noise level is definitely up there but despite that it was well worth it. I would definitely recommend this place to all my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific food -- terrible service!sawdustVIPDined on 9/14/2014Waited a half hour before we even got water and an additional 10 minutes for the waiter to take our order. Ordered three appetizers including two orders of chive dumplings. The salad come in a few minutes and then 5 minutes later a plate with two dumplings was dropped on our table. When I got the waiters attention he confirmed that there were supposed to be 4 dumplings per order and he went to check. Another 15 minutes went by and two plates with 4 dumplings each arrived. However we were still waiting for the third appetizer which finally arrived about 1-1/2 hours after we sat down and was followed within minutes by the main courses.Special Features:
- IncredibleDisappointedDined on 9/14/2014Disappointed that we couldn't get in for dinner but was able to make perfect reservation for Sunday brunch. All I can say is I am impressed. The view of the bay and bridge was perfect. Sitting outside on patio outstanding. The Vietnamese crepe is one of the best most unique entrees I've ever had. Drinks were so good I had to have 2. Will absolutely make a reservation for dinner well in advance if my next trip to the bay areaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerribleFernandaEMDined on 9/13/2014Terribly crowded and loud, ugly, tables too close. Fancy price, not fancy ambiance.
- lunch reviewraisoreoDined on 9/13/2014The food was good not great for the price. The waitress forgot the second drink, we reminded her at the end of the meal, no comp for the miss, that's bad. In all I have had better food there as I have been many times, this time I was surprised that the food was okay. I had Vietnamese food the day before at a small place in San Mateo. The food was just as good for a quarter of the price. Slanted Door has the view, but there many more placed in the Ferry building and at the farmers market that serve better food.Special Features:
- Friendly and all classBaybabeDined on 9/12/2014First off, we were 30 minutes early and that was no problem. We were seated outside on a beautiful, warm day. The menu was amazing and our server helped us make excellent choices. The food was delicious, unique, flavorful and fresh. We never had to look for service. Most amazing was at the end of our meal, we were discussing the day ahead. Three long time friends meeting in the city for a day of exploration. As our city map was out on the table, our server kindly offered help. We asked him for 'must see' places away from tourists. My proposed walk through the hills was exactly matched by our server's recommendations. So friendly and helpful. Will return and recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Insufficient flavorFoodFTWDined on 9/12/2014Seated promptly for a reservation for 2 people at 11:30 AM and the lunch rush came in shortly after Noon. It was difficult to have a conversation with tables set up 12 inches on either side of us. All in all, a pleasant enough meal, but the rub of this restaurant is the price. Even ordering from the lower end of the menu, these 2 meals totaled $45. For that much money for lunch, every bite should be delicious and that was definitely not the case. And when you charge over $20 for 6 pieces of shrimp, it's a bit of a slap to the face to have them served with the tails still on. Great views of the Bay Bridge can be had at many other restaurants, as can great Vietnamese food in the SF area.Special Features:
- DELICIOUS!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/11/2014Perfect for a large group! Prix Fixe menu was AMAZING!! Thanks for a great night!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good, but slippingJeff0616VIPDined on 9/11/2014I've made a point of coming here every visit. Food is fantastic, but the staff is starting to act like we are lucky to be there...... Perhaps we are?Special Features:
- Long Time Slanted Door CustomerBrunchVIPDined on 9/11/2014The food and drinks remain fantastic. The decor is a lot of glass - so it is noisy and loud. Our wait staff was good - but it has been better in the past.......but I am writing due to a new experience: The hostess role has taken on a new and unfortunate light. Whether you have a reservation or not - you are forced to wait in line which can be 20+ people deep at 5:30. Not only that - but they are obviously not happy because we watched the hostess helpers fuss with a cucumber slice in their water for 10 mins (5:40) vs helping people check in. Please fix this - your check in system is broken and NOT customer friendly!Special Features:
- Good food, haughty receptionPnjabanVIPDined on 9/10/2014The food here is good but the attitude at the front is stuck up and rude. I had to wait quite a while to be seated for my reservation despite my dining companion already being seated, due to slow, chaotic and rude service by the four front people milling about and talking to each other but not the customers. After that, the servers wanted to clear the plates even before we were finished eating. Thye food is good but the service spoiled the meal for me.