1 Ferry Building #3
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
VietnamesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.slanteddoor.com/
- Phone: 4158618032x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Saturday: 11:00am-2:30pm, Sunday 11:30am-3:00pm; Dinner: Monday-Sunday: 5:30pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vietnamese
- Executive Chef: Charles Phan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For catering information, please contact us at email@example.com
- Private Party Facilities: The Slanted Door has several options for groups wishing to hold special events. Our PRIVATE DINING ROOM accommodates 12-20 guests for a quiet sit-down dinner. Our LOUNGE is available for semi-private cocktail parties for 20-50 people or seated dinners for up to 40. Our PATIO is available seasonally for parties of 40-70.
- Private Party Contact: Beth Alvey 415-321-3003x
- Cross Street: On Embarcadero between Mission and Clay St.
- Public Transit: The Ferry building is served by public transportation: Muni, Golden Gate Transit, Bart, F Train. Ferry service is available with Golden Gate Ferry, Blue and Gold Fleet and Bay Link Ferries. For more information, visit www.transitinfo.org and www.sfport.com
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: The Ferry Building offers the following validated parking.
Embarcadero@ Washington lot (across from Pier 1)
Validated rate of $2.00/hr for the first 2 hours; $6/hr thereafter.
A word from Slanted Door
Slanted Door is Charles Phan's modern Vietnamese restaurant. Charles aims to showcase the abundance of sustainably farmed produce as well as meat, game and poultry found at farms around the San Francisco Bay Area and globe.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Slanted Door - Best Restaurants in Financial District / Embarcadero ›
Slanted Door reviews from OpenTable diners
794 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
scenic view (538)fit for foodies (524)hot spot (361)special occasion (345)good for groups (306)great for lunch (243)vibrant bar scene (173)great for outdoor dining (160)notable wine list (123)neighborhood gem (103)romantic (76)great for brunch (58)kid-friendly (55)late-night find (42)Show More
- DissapointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/27/2014I came here three months ago and the food was great and The price was in line with the quality. Now, its less food, it didnt taste as good, and it cost more money. All of my dinner companions said so as well.
- RichRichDined on 10/27/2014Good food with great view Service very efficient Wine selection impressiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perennial favoritesouthporterVIPDined on 10/27/2014For us a visit to San Francisco is not complete without a meal at the Slanted Door. We love their imperial rolls, spare rib appetizer, shaken beef, and their shrimp. We wish they had a Manhattan or Connecticut outpost.Special Features:
- Never disappointsAnnam711VIPDined on 10/25/2014This is one place that continually lives up to the hype. Delicious!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste delightOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/25/2014This was a fine meal. The stand outs we're shaking beef and caramelized shrimp both delicious. The chicken with nuts and dried fruits was fun to nibble on but lacked a unifier. The sautéed eggplant with coconut milk was not good, several pieces of eggplant were undercooked and lacked flavor. The cocktails were delicious and the recommended wine from Slovenia was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/25/2014Our meal was delicious! We will definitely go back. The resturant is large and packs in a lot of people, so it's not very intimate or romantic, but the views are lovely. The waiter and sommelier were great. They knew what they were talking about and had opinions, which I love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a SF gemthombuiDined on 10/25/2014Every time I eat there it is consistent and excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 10/25/2014Some really interesting dishes and a good variation of drinks makes it a nice place although it might be a bit noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great view, great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014We had lunch outside on a beautiful fall day. The sun was out. There is a beautiful view of the Bay Bridge and Treasure Island. Inside the restaurant is spacious and current. The restaurant is a bit pricey but expected with that view and famous chef. $175 for lunch for 4.Special Features:
- Great for a special dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014I went here with my girlfriend and another couple on our last night in San Fran. The atmosphere was excellent and the food was fresh and exciting. We found it to be a great place to take photos with the bay bridge in the background. I would recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Francisco dining at its bestEastcoastculinarianDined on 10/24/2014Add this experience to your bucket list! Wine, menu options, ambience, servers - the best! Kudos to a phenomenal chef.Special Features:
- PerfectionraviVIPDined on 10/24/2014Papaya Salad + Cellophane noodles with Crab == Heaven
- Banquet by the BayCommsGuyMikeDined on 10/23/2014This terrific Asian fusion restaurant now located in the Ferry Building on the SF wharf offers a memorable dining experience under the new artistic light display of the SF-Oakland Bay Bridge. The signature dishes are great... chef Charlie Phan takes special delight in an array of interesting vegetables along with the meat, fish and noodle offerings that make for a fantastically interesting menu. We were there for a special occasionand the wait staff responded on cue with lots of extra goodies including interesting wine choices that deviate from the Northern Calif dominated vintages that other SF establishments tout. Only drawback...it's incredibly popular and on a busy Thursday night, incredibly noisy. Baby boomer ears beware!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- alexnaoDined on 10/23/2014Outstanding crispy appetizer rolls! I would go back just for this one dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/22/2014Does not live up to the hype - food and service good - nothing special. Tables are absolutely crammed together.Special Features:
- always a reliable pleasurebilllVIPDined on 10/22/2014been there every time in SF and always love the food. noise, not so muchSpecial Features:
- Great food, service, experiencecustardgoodmeatgoodDined on 10/22/2014Ambience was clean, open, modern with big windows over looking the water. Mark, our waiter was great - I love a waiter with an opinion about the menu! He got a sense of what we wanted and steered us to a great meal. 6 of us ate family style so everyone got to try. Chicken Clay pot, Yellow tail app, and the fish were the favorites. Cocktails were delicious. Cotton candy dessert - perfect. Parking was a bit of a challenge, because we didn't know the area - maybe call first to find out where to park. Also, was crowded at 1:30 on a Wednesday, so make a reservation.Special Features:
- Absolutely AmazingantiquetravlerVIPDined on 10/22/2014Read the NYT review in CT and was making plans to go to SF and made the reservation. I have been coming to SF for 26 years this time of years and this was the BEST meal I have ever had. The spring roll, crepe, eggplant, glass noodles with crab. It was all great. The only thugs I did not like was the sorbet. It was over powered with cinnamon. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good and Want to Come BackPaperTigerDined on 10/21/2014I've heard good things about the Slanted Door and I'm glad to have been able to try it. It is tough to get reservations but I would like to go back and hope the stars align.Special Features:
- Focus should be on substance...BrokenOvenDined on 10/21/2014The food was delicious - simple and clean flavors. The portions were small for the price. However, they were just the right amount for two people sharing. My daughter and I shared 5 dishes, including dessert and a small side of rice, leaving us content with a small container of leftovers. I was a little disappointed with their glassynoodle dish with crab, which we were told is there signature dish. We had to search very hard for pieces of crab. It really would have been a showpiece dish had they delivered more! Also, while the sauteed pea shoots were good, the flavor was just too fundamental. My favorite dish was the green papaya salad. This dish had an interesting and intricate flavor-sweet, smoky and something else I couldn't identify.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/20/2014Slanted Door was very very loud, and extreamly packed. But the meal was worth the wait!Special Features:
- ExcellentDeliciousnessDined on 10/20/2014The food here is quite excelent and the wine list is extensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodMelemellyVIPDined on 10/19/2014Quite busy even at 915 on a Sunday night, which is always a good indicator of excellent food and we were not disappointed. We shared the veggie spring rolls, cellophane noodles, filet mignon (superb dipping vinaigrette) and cauliflower and that was enough for 2 people. If we had room we would have tried the cotton candy dessert! A bit expensive but glad we made this our one special dinner while visiting San FranSpecial Features:
- Outstanding Vietnamese cuisineliv2eatNdrinkDined on 10/19/2014One of the best restaurants. Food was perfect in every way. Four of us shared several appetizers, vegetables, entrees and desserts. Every one was superbly plated; great attention to detail. The food was delicious. I'd highly recommend this restaurant to others as it came highly recommended to us by friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, food and view!!PaloAltoDinerDined on 10/19/2014Great service! Kitchen was running a bit slow, so our server provided papaya salad and a California roll to tide us over until our oysters and uni arrived. All of the food was very delicious. Raw seafood was especially fresh, well presented, and tasty. Halibut was lightly seasoned and accompanied by tasty foils for flavor. We also supplemented with the baby bok choy to get more green veggies into the mix. Yum! View of Bay Bridge and ferries is great. We watched Treasure Island and Oakland light up in the sunset. Then, the Bay Bridge lights danced the night away. Ambiance was lively, though slightly noisy for conversations.Special Features:
- Not worth the money!!FoodieDined on 10/19/2014The food was bland and expensive!! The drinks hardly had alcohol basically your paying for lemon juice. I would not return to the slanted door!!Special Features:
- A San Francisco favoriteMickFinnDined on 10/19/2014Slanted Door does not disappoint. I have eaten here many times both for lunch and dinner. The food is good and plentiful to share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeNewbieVIPDined on 10/18/2014Never ever a bad meal and our service was excellent, tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have yet to disappoint...OhmanVIPDined on 10/18/2014We were stuck in traffic n called that we would be late. D hostess was kind enough to change our reservations to a later time to accommodate us. Plc was packed as usual but we were promptly seated when we arrived. Ordered the wanton soup (no noodles), cellophane crab noodles, rainbow chard, flat iron steak. All items tasted great! For dessert, had the confectioners sugar plate (cotton candy) which my son loved! Service was attentive and friendly, views were nice too! A great dining experience on the wholeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/17/2014Been many times and the food is always outstanding. Always take friends from out of town who are visiting. Only issue is noise level, which is extremely loud and makes it a little difficult to have a conversation. Waiter was outstanding.Special Features:
- Fun place to take guestsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/16/2014I brought a guest from DC and some coworkers. The service was very attentive but relaxed, and we were made very comfortable. I greatly appreciated that we were able to sit when we arrived, despite half our party being late. Food was uniformly well prepared. The standout item was the gau choy gow (shrimp dumplings), perfectly prepared, tender and flavorful. The other items we had (vegetarian spring rolls, imperial rolls, , shaking beef, branzino and halibut) were all very good. The wine list had some excellent options, and the sommolier was very helpful with choices. The view of the Bay Bridge was great, and our guest felt that they were being treated to something special, which was what I was hoping for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive, but great foodmmacDined on 10/16/2014I had a friend from Asia visiting for a couple days and the Ferry Building was a great place to meet up and eat. I picked Slanted Door because it has a reputation for great food and she's a foodie so I figured she'd appreciate it. Lunch was amazingly delicious. I made an 1130a reservation and the restaurant opens at 1130a so it was perfect; mostly empty. It filled up fast though and was quite crowded when we left around 1p. 5 star dishes were the green papaya salad, caramelized wild shrimp, lemongrass chicken and (revelatory) braised tofu with lemongrass and chili. The only unremarkable dish was the fresh spring rolls (meh). Good wait staff and bus staff. We had a great time and enjoyed sitting in a booth overlooking the bay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SaigonSalDined on 10/15/2014Booked this restaurant for the last meal of our holiday in California and maybe our expectations were too high but it certainly didn't come up to them. It's described as modern Vietnamese cooking but even allowing for a nod to American cuisine, it didn't seem very Vietnamese to us other than the spring rolls. Rack of lamb?? There were very few local wines available by glass or half bottle and no Vietnamese or Asian beers for sale. And the noise level was excessive.Special Features:
- Great Service - Great FoodKymcanuDined on 10/15/2014Food is served family style (which we loved so more food can be shared!). We ordered an amazing steak to share, split a few appetizers, and a noodle bowl, and walked away stuffed! The waiter was second to none. When I started to order my own entree he said...no no no. That is too much food, and then proceeded to tell us about family style and making sure we tried the a very tasty ceviche. Spot On!!!! It was delicious. The best ever! This is one of those restarants we will return to again and again! With sharing of the food, we didn't overspend! It was GREAT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grand wee nightyapurehoorDined on 10/14/2014We were visiting from the UK on honeymoon. The staff were a delight. It is loud and busy, but that's never been a bad thing. Beautiful ribs, Shaking Beef and cocktails. That's all you need... oh and the browned butter cake, definitely, don't forget to order that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BlackTheRipperDined on 10/14/2014Was nice to finally get a reservation there. Well worth the wait. Recomend the experience.Special Features:
- Did not disappointDebMDined on 10/14/2014We booked weeks ahead from Australia and were pleased we did. The food was fantastic and the service even better. The noise level is an issue however. The shaking beef is expensive and a little overrated, we thought. Try the imperial spring rolls, the eggplant dish and the seafood ceviche- exquisite!Special Features:
- Great food, great locationOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/14/2014Food was amazing - lives up to the hype for sure! We did a number of small plates so we could share and taste a lot of different foods. Everything was amazing, I will be sure to come back to have moreSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slanted Door never disappoints!F00dDined on 10/13/2014The food is always fantastic, the service is great and the servers are very knowledgeable about the food and wine pairings. The location provides a beautiful view during the day. You can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great ViewHitsendletgoDined on 10/12/2014My mom and I ate at the bar. Our bartender was a total professional and gave us great food and drink recommendations. The other diners were also super friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.