1 Ferry Building #3
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
VietnamesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.slanteddoor.com/
- Phone: 4158618032x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Saturday: 11:00am-2:30pm, Sunday 11:30am-3:00pm; Dinner: Monday-Sunday: 5:30pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vietnamese
- Executive Chef: Charles Phan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For catering information, please contact us at email@example.com
- Private Party Facilities: The Slanted Door has several options for groups wishing to hold special events. Our PRIVATE DINING ROOM accommodates 12-20 guests for a quiet sit-down dinner. Our LOUNGE is available for semi-private cocktail parties for 20-50 people or seated dinners for up to 40. Our PATIO is available seasonally for parties of 40-70.
- Private Party Contact: Beth Alvey 415-321-3003x
- Cross Street: On Embarcadero between Mission and Clay St.
- Public Transit: The Ferry building is served by public transportation: Muni, Golden Gate Transit, Bart, F Train. Ferry service is available with Golden Gate Ferry, Blue and Gold Fleet and Bay Link Ferries. For more information, visit www.transitinfo.org and www.sfport.com
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: The Ferry Building offers the following validated parking.
Embarcadero@ Washington lot (across from Pier 1)
Validated rate of $2.00/hr for the first 2 hours; $6/hr thereafter.
A word from Slanted Door
Slanted Door is Charles Phan's modern Vietnamese restaurant. Charles aims to showcase the abundance of sustainably farmed produce as well as meat, game and poultry found at farms around the San Francisco Bay Area and globe.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Slanted Door - Best Restaurants in Financial District / Embarcadero ›
Slanted Door reviews from OpenTable diners
794 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
scenic view (552)fit for foodies (490)special occasion (364)hot spot (335)good for groups (286)great for lunch (248)vibrant bar scene (163)great for outdoor dining (143)notable wine list (110)neighborhood gem (95)romantic (88)great for brunch (81)kid-friendly (57)late-night find (34)Show More
- Good food - Stupid wine listOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/29/2014Food is good, well prepared, mildly inventive. wine menu has no California wines at all. Most varietals are Austrian, German, or Italian and generally unknown to most consumers. The women in our party were annoyed they couldn't just get a Chardonnay, Pinot Gris, or Sauvignon Blanc. The wine they did order was "weird" and unenjoyable. It ruined the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location, pricey offeringsMarinLocalDined on 8/29/2014This restaurant is quite different from it's Mission Street counterpart of past. It's upscale with a great waterfront location. Food is good Asian fusion, but very pricey, perhaps to offset high rent its Ferry Building location! Portions are ample for sharing. I suppose it's a great place for lunch meetings in the financial district.Special Features:
- Best meal we had!CCSchottDined on 8/28/2014We were on the west coast for 10 days and The Slanted Door was the best meal by far that we had. The imperial rolls are divine. Everything is meant to be family style, so, we ordered steak and scallops and finished with a fudge dessert with a side of the special sorbet. Wow! DELISH!!! It's a must visit kind of place! We did make reservations a few weeks out however the girl behind us in line (waiting for the place to open at 5:30) did get a "walk-in" table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything right!ecovegetarianDined on 8/28/2014A wonderful variety of delicious food efficiently and beautifully served, with a beautiful bay view to boot. My gourmet out-of-town guest was delighted (to my great relief). Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2014Great tasty food to share. Excellent standard and very friendly service. Good job!Special Features:
- Everything excellent exceptOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014Food and service were outstanding but restaurant is too noisy. We couldn't hear one another and kept having to shout and repeat ourselves. I'll go again but not often.Special Features:
- Silver AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/26/2014We went on our 25TH wedding anniversary and had such a wonderful time. Our server Albert was so nice, very attentive and he brought us a huge cotton candy with a candle to blow out. What a way to celebrate our special occasion: the food is outstanding, so clean tasting. We will go back for our 30TH to celebrate again. We did find the tables too close together and hard to enter/exit, but once you sit down the meal is all you can focus on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/26/2014The food was great and so was the ambiance. Very pricy for what it is, but the food quality is consistent and lively and great view. However, the service was the worst in my recent dinning experience. The waiter was not attentive at all, forgets our requests, and had an unfriendly, uncaring attitude. Great shame!Special Features:
- AnneVIPDined on 8/26/2014Best Asian cuisine in SF and the view of the bay bridge is stunning. We are here at least once a month. Favorites are the noodle salad with chicken and the lamb, but have never beem disappointed in a dish.Special Features:
- Great food - Horrible ServiceNC2NYDined on 8/24/2014The food, just as friends promised, was outstanding. But our over all experience took a nose dive due to the apathetic waiter. The service was exceedingly slow. He showed absolutely no enthusiasm and then when our bill arrived, he had charged us for two desserts that the next table had ordered. When we showed him the error, his only response was, "You're not willing to pay for their desserts?" I do understand that he was trying to be humorous but at that point, we had had it with him. I am an overgenerous tipper but this gentleman was given 10%.Special Features:
- Great food but way too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/24/2014The food was excellent, the view is tremendous. Our service was spotty but what was hard for us was the noise. We were with a friend we seldom see and could barely hear one another. It really affected the quality of our dinner. Also, we had quite a bit of food left and asked to take it home but instead it was cleared away and never came back to us.Special Features:
- Hot spotDivaseat1Dined on 8/24/2014Great place to order a little bit of everything, treat it like a tapas restaurant. Everything we tried was delich but make sure you try the ribs!👍Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticEpicureanDined on 8/23/2014Came here with a group of friends for my 40th birthday. We ordered off of the Prix Fixe menu, and everything was great. The scallops and the crispy roll lettuce wraps were especially good. Great cocktails, great service, killer view, amazing food, and, you get cotton candy for desert. The food ingredients are based on Vietnamese cuisine, but each dish has been slightly tweaked to raise its profile a few levels. The staff took care of us and I will definitely go back the next chance I get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good value for money, tasty foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014We did like the ambience, food was excellent and views. Too noisy but it was really busy so may be not always so much, anyhow worth repeatingSpecial Features:
- Overpriced ordinary Vienamese foodeatsout2muchDined on 8/23/2014We had lunch here -3 adults and 1 child. Our bill totaled $250.00 with 3 beers. If this were an amazing experience, no complaints. There was nothing wrong with our food, but also nothing amazing about it. We did have the worst rice I have ever been served in a restaurant. We were seated promptly. Service was average and impersonal. Restaurant is noisy and reminds me of an upscale food court.Great views of the water. I am sure there are many equally good Vietnamese restaurants in San Francisco that are 1/2 the costs. I know there are many in Northern Virginia. Disappointed in this visit.Special Features:
- Good for business lunchRia08888Dined on 8/22/2014I ve been here few times, it just a bummer not getting a reservations at a decent time, you have to book the earliest or late afternoon .Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/21/2014Had a great experience here for my first time. Service was awesome, very friendly, efficient, and timely. Food was delicious and unique. Great place for a birthday celebration or an anniversary. Would definitely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Save your money, have fun elsewhereOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/20/2014Spring rolls were freshly wrapped, but shrimp and pork were tasteless. BBQ rib sauce was ok but too much of it and ribs were fatty. Husband got catfish clay pot. Nothing but bones and skin, and sauce tasted bottled. Teriyaki chicken was inedible: fatty, boring, like any ol' teriyaki chick anywhere. Can't remember mine-also chicken. I like spice-it was not spicy, or any real interesting flavor at all. I asked for peppers and got raw chopped chilis-also not spicy. How is that possible? Parents got glass noodles and chicken clay pot. Noodles were stuck together, sauce was boring brown. Brown rice:almost tasteless. Oh, $12 bottle beer. $180 for 5, lunch. Why does SD continue to get such great reviews, and why do diners revel in its mediocrity?Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerSmittyDined on 8/19/2014Great food my wife and I just ordered various plates to share and the service was great! Highly recommend this place for dinner but reserve in advance as it gets pretty busy for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must visit in the Bay AreaTkyrnrVIPDined on 8/19/2014Great food, amazing views, professional service and dynamic buzz. Slanted Door hasn't lost its edge after all these years in the Ferry Terminal. Noise level is a little high but otherwise everything is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View and with good foodcarolsierraDined on 8/18/2014The dinner was very pleasant and my choice was really good (the noodles with crab). Recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food with a ViewCiboamoreDined on 8/17/2014We had a great table with a view, the service was very attentive, our waiter gave wonderful suggestions. And the food was delicious. A bit noisy, however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slanted Door: ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/17/2014Best Vietname food I've ever had. Truly wonderful. Great view of the bridge and water. Great service.Special Features:
- Fabulous dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Visited for a special birthday and restaurant recommended by local residents as we were visiting from the UK. Food was excellent, service very good. Waitress offered good opinions on the number of dishes required - I planned to order more, and was advised not to as we would have enough for our party, which was absolutely correct. There's a beautiful view of the Bay Bridge, and seating outside, though it was too cold for this when we visited. We thoroughly enjoyed our evening and would highly recommend it if you have a little bit of adventure in your food taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceFitfoodieDined on 8/16/2014Received multiple recommendations for this restaurant, and have been interested in trying it out for several years. After reading the reviews, we were a little concerned as to what to expect from service. However, it was perfect! We did have an early reservation time, so they were not slammed yet - but both the server and other staff were on point. We also did not feel rushed and they were wonderful with our children.Special Features:
- Great Food, Fabulous ViewOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/16/2014When you eat at the Slanted Door on the Embarcadero with its sleek, upscale design, it's hard to believe that it started out on Valencia Street with literally a slanted door. Fortunately, the food is just as good and in some cases better than it was on Valencia Street. The imperial rolls are the best in the City. The hoisin spare ribs are one of our favorite appetizers. The ribeye is very good, although too much for two people. The chicken claypot is very moist and tender and the Dungeness crab with noodles is also great. The only thing we don't like about the Slanted Door is its wine list, which contains primarily German and Austrian wines. The corkage fee for bringing your own wine is a shocking $35 per bottle, which seems punitive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it! Highly recommendCaitDined on 8/16/2014Visited while on vacation in SF with my fiancé. The meal was truly great. We had brunch outside, overlooking the bay. My ambiance and noise level comments are specific to outside which was incredibly relaxing. I walked inside the restaurant for a moment and it was very noisy/energetic. Seemed good for groups or friends. We started with shrimp dumplings - recommended by our waiter. These were delicious. I could have ordered these as a meal and been happy. Next we had shrimp with rice noodles followed by the chicken clay pot. The shrimp with rice noodles was good. The clay pot chicken was amazing. Our waiter was also great - attentive but we did not feel rushed. He also made an off the menu cocktail for me which was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Suzanne007VIPDined on 8/16/2014I've been to Slanted Door on several occasions, and I was really looking forward to the meal. I have to say it was a let down. The food was not as vibrant or as delicious as it has been in the past. The truth is that it was a so so meal, which is very disappointing. The waitstaff seemed all were preoccupied with being hipsters rather than efficient. When you have to waive people down for eater it is always frustrating. This was one of my go to spots in San Fran, and now I have to reconsider.Special Features:
- RandyNolaDined on 8/15/2014We only had cocktails and bar appetizers because my guests were tired, however, the views are outstanding so we will save another visit to review the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Served family style so that everyone can try a variety of tasty food.Special Features:
- Great place to sharejohnsonDined on 8/15/2014This is a great place to share a meal. Reasonably priced for the area and great service. Funny thing though for a Vietnamese restaurant - the waiter did not know what was cafe sua da until I said Vietnamese coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed reviewRimzakVIPDined on 8/14/2014First and foremost the food was great! But that's it's saving grace. The service is more of a "turn and burn" type. Our waitress didn't seemed amused by us. It was noisy but it's just that type of environment. When I say noisy, it's not the music but people talking. The ambience is cafeteria-like but it has a good vibe. The food runners were super nice to us and the gentleman that ran our leftovers to us after we forget it was really sweet. It's definitely not for first date night kind of restaurant, it's for girls night or dinner with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and livelyAlicDined on 8/14/2014Great place for dinner. We had reviewed the restaurant before we visited SF, it was in a great location and good for people who enjoy good food in great surroundings. If possible ask for a booth with sea views. We were round the corner so not so scenic.Special Features:
- A flavor blast!FlfoodieDined on 8/14/2014Mussels served in a broth that was so tasty I ate it like soup. Great flavor combinations on the scallops with a super brown crust and rack of lamb was tender and served with the best tamarind sauce ever. Busy place, , reserve way ahead of time, but definitely worth it! Great water view and access to the Ferry gourmet stores as well.Special Features:
- Busy, but goodSFFresno57Dined on 8/14/2014The food was very good. It was the loudest restaurant I have ever dined in.Special Features:
- Pretty GoodthehonestfoodieDined on 8/13/2014The price of everything except the shaking beef was not worth the steep price tag. The restaurant was crowded until 10pm. Their cocktails are average, Moscow Mules should be served in a cooper mug. I do not think a cooper mug is too much to ask for. The shaking beef was the only very excellent thing on the menu. Everything else was different but did not taste as good as expected. The price of the meal was not bad when it came to the bill, however, the waiters recommend that you share the Shaking Beef entree, I personally do not think it is worth sharing the portion is not very big. 8oz when cooked appears quite small on the plate. It is the best item on the menu by far. Short ribs tasted funny, chicken clay pot was ok.Special Features:
- Awful Customer ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/12/2014We arrived five minutes early for our reservation and were told we would be attended to in five minutes. Twenty minutes later I asked what was happening and was told not long. We finally were shown to a table thirty five minutes late and we're not offered any apology or explanation. I also observed several other people waiting long after their reservation time. The food was superb, but not good enough to warrant the wait.
- InterestingMamaFonsecaDined on 8/12/2014We received a $100.00 gift card from my sister to try this restaurant; we spent over $100. The food was okay; small portions. We had to wait long for our food to come. Food was not superb just overpriced. Staff was semi-friendly. I think just a lot of hype for this restaurant. The view was nice if you were looking out the window. Locate din the ferry building which is a nice spot to walk around and enjoy the bay views. I did not like the bathroom area. It was coed; not enough privacy to refresh makeup as needed. Staff also used same restroom which felt uncomfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- four or fewernotstuffyDined on 8/12/2014Slanted Door's food is excellent, without exception. Not just the tastes, but each item is cooked to perfection, so the meal is as much a textural treat as delicious. But if you like the people you are there with, limit your group to 4 or fewer, because it is too loud to hear any more than that. Even with four you will all be shouting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing and insightful staff!BigEasyDined on 8/12/2014Great atmosphere and the staff was incredibly helpful recommending dishes that allow for a full variety of all their different flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.