Skylark on the Hudson
70 Town Square PL
Jersey City, NJ 07310Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Skylark on the Hudson
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://skylarkonthehudson.com/
- Phone: (201) 533-8989
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am - 1:45pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday: 2:00pm - 10:00pm
Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Friday : 4:00pm - 11:30pm
Saturday: 4:00 - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Darryl Harmon
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering options are available, please inquire with the restaurant directly.
- Private Party Facilities: Semi Private Dining.
- Private Party Contact: Jack Wasserman / Isaiah Kelsey 2015338989
- Entertainment: Look Out For Friday & Saturday Night Entertainment!
- Public Transit: 1/2 Block from Newport/Pavonia Path Station. Light Rail
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is available around the corner from Skylark on the Hudson. A parking deck is located at 90 Town Square Place [across from Starbucks]. It is a short ½ block walk from the parking deck to our front doors. Validation for up to two hours is available to dining guests for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Please make sure you follow the instructions for validating your ticket available from our Host team. We look forward to serving you.
A word from Skylark on the Hudson
Our food is our promise: Everything fresh, every day, all day. Skylark on the Hudson shifts the paradigm of fine dining and the classic diner, setting new standards for excellence on the plate, continuous service, sexy ambience and comfortable pricing. Our kitchen is yours. Celebrate, rejuvenate, relax with us indoors or out - on the waterfront. At Newport, just one block from the PATH and the Manhattan ferry, with outrageous views of lower Manhattan.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Skylark on the Hudson - Best Restaurants in Jersey City ›
Skylark on the Hudson reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (9)great for lunch (8)great for outdoor dining (5)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (4)neighborhood gem (4)scenic view (3)romantic (2)late-night find (1)special occasion (1)hot spot (1)fit for foodies (1)Show More
- Yummy!MzchristineyDined on 10/21/2014I bought a livingsocial coupon for this place. It was our first time and we live nearby. Place is pretty big and good service. They start you off with a delicious piece of butter & bread (which is placed in a paper bag so you can take it home). For appetizer we ordered the crab cake & vegetable napoleon. Both good but the vegetable napoleon could have been better with more seasoning. For entrees we ordered the special: Braised short ribs & the pork chops. Both very delicious. We were too full to have dessert! We would definitely go back!Special Features:
- after workjustfairDined on 9/16/2014a good place for drinks, cocktails and bar food after work. wings were very good main dishes were just fair
- Skylark on the HudsonEaterDined on 9/10/2014Much better than average food for a neighborhood bistro. It's a family-friendly upscale diner without the upscale prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor seating is very nice.foodadventurerDined on 8/10/2014We enjoy eating outdoors here. They allow dogs in the outdoor seating area.Special Features:
- Hudson Restaurant Week FunBostonVisitorDined on 8/5/2014We (party of 4) ate at Skylark for Hudson Restaurant week and enjoyed our meals. It was a price fixe menu which offered a choice of 3 appetizers ("Share"), 3 entrees and 2 desserts. Our group managed to taste all the appetizers and all the entrees. All were very nicely prepared and enjoyed. The wait staff was helpful and informative.Special Features:
- Very goodhenartsVIPDined on 7/31/2014Great bread, great food, good service. Very good value for your money. More expensive restaurants serve food which is not half as good as the Skylark is. I've been here a few times now, and it's one of my favorites.Special Features:
- The following 76 reviews are from the Skylark on the Hudson reviews archive.
- Love the colors of this place...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014My reason for going to Skylark was because of my birthday. I was recommend by an associate who work close by. The place is lovely, the colors are outstanding, but some of the food weren't so paletable. The best thing I had was the fried calamari... I would definetely go back again just to try some of their other dishes as maybe that day was a bad day for the chef.. Overall, I would definitely recommend this restaurant to a friend..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hated it.foodiesteph590Dined on 7/18/2014Will not go back here. A glorified, overpriced Diner. Food sat in the window and got wilted and gross. Steak had over powering flavor and a bad texture. Drinks were good but overpriced. Wine wasnt available so they switched it for something MUCH cheaper but still charged the same price. A cold atmosphere that doesn't know it if wants to be modern or classic. Too many colors and crazy stuff going on. Will not return.Special Features:
- silkcityVIPDined on 7/9/2014have been here several times before and found it to be a solid restaurant. not this time. several dishes were inedlible, and sides were awful. service was less than stellar. a true disappointment as this place has a lot of potential.
- Good food, great servicePescetarianDined on 7/8/2014We had a wonderful time at Skylark on the Hudson. The service was terrific. Our waitress Liz was super sweet. The drinks were perfect, they definitely don't skimp on the alcohol. The food was enjoyed by all , my salmon was perfectly cooked, and my husband loved the Moroccan chicken. I look forward to going back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Staple Neighborhood OptionEmmaVIPDined on 7/6/2014Skylark is an awesome restaurant in the Newport neighborhood of Jersey City. They have a wide range of food options that are of good quality and consistency. Space is large, roomy, well decorated and has a space for private events. Best part is their outdoor patio to enjoy sunny days!! They do need to improve the service that can be spotty - have to ask for things many times before getting it, and watch out if you go early for breakfast. They open at 9:30 but are rarely prepared for full service at that time (missing the banana bread, out of juice etc)Special Features:
- Lovely Place Good FoodFood4theSoulDined on 6/21/2014We had burgers - beef and turkey...the macaroni and cheese is a must...the food was good...service great...the atmosphere very nice for a lovely Saturday evening lunch...I will definitely go back...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for lunchSmw1Dined on 6/18/2014The daily lunch special is a bargain. I had the chicken wrap. The chicken was moist and delicious. The butter squash soup was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FairMGNYCVIPDined on 6/15/2014Came for Father's Day Dinner. Sadly, the place was very empty. Food was okay and staff was friendly enough. #1 complaint which I think I read about on Yelp was the bathrooms. Every single stall in the women's room had NO toilet paper. As the place only had about 6x tables occupied, one only knows how long it was before any staff came to check on the facilities.
- Pleasantly surprised!abcdeVIPDined on 6/15/2014I must admit, I had mixed feelings about making a last minute reservation there for Father's Day 2014 due to previous reviews...but we found it wonderful! First off, the bartender made us some excellent caipirinhas. The food was delicious - the shrimp mac n'cheese, chicken panini, fish and chips, salmon, and calamari were enjoyed by all. The only item I wasn't fussy about was the crab cake, it tasted as if it was mixed with fish. But the flan and chocolate flourless cake that we had for dessert more than made up for that. Our waiter was very hospitable and attentive, and the entire experience was fantastic! Would definitely come back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dog-friendly RestaurantfoodadventurerDined on 5/27/2014Great for dogs. They allow dogs to sit outside with their owners at the tables.Special Features:
- Pathetic Service; Mediocre FoodSidMDined on 5/17/2014After a string of positive experiences here in the past few months, yesterday was disastrous in several ways. The service from our waiter was horrible - he didn't know or ask for the sides, never served us bread (despite my reminding him), got the drinks wrong, seemed unfamiliar with the menu & very distracted and was hard to find when we needed him. The crab cake appetizer was cold, the drinks came in after the main course, the pulled pork was almost inedible, the pancakes were average. It was the worst experience I have had in any restaurant in Newport.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/16/2014Food was very bland not worth the price paid for..Special Features:
- Mothers Day Brunch was LovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014I didn't know what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised by their buffet brunch. It had variety and all of it was very good, the roast lamb, salads, hot breakfast food, etc. it was a good choice.Special Features:
- Server was awesomeCraigVIPDined on 3/22/2014I'd go back because my server was very attentive and accommodating. My food was ok but my friend said his was quite good. I will try them again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skylark Had Great Food, ServiceNYCoupleVIPDined on 1/5/2014We have eaten here several times and each time is a treat. The food is always great and the service is excellent, especially for a neighborhood location. Warning, you have to walk to the restaurant or now they make you pay for nearby parking.Special Features:
- Not good...very average at bestLocalVIPDined on 12/16/2013I'm a local. Have been here multiple times. I don't see why anyone should come here unless it were for convenience. Food is very mediocre, especially for the price and service is really slow and poor overall. Note I am not dissatisfied with just one experience, I'm talking about the service almost every time I come.
- Hidden Treasure82muchVIPDined on 12/15/2013Looking at the extensive, diversified menu and its very comfortable pricing, one might think (erroneously) that this is merely a 21st century diner---especially given the nicely-designed, informal and comfortable surroundings. However, once you enjoy the creativity of the delicious offerings, the attention to detail in the kitchen, and the attention to customer satisfaction by the wait staff...to call Skylark on the Hudson just a diner, would be like calling a truffle just a mushroom---or calling Le Bernardin just a fish shack!I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favsSweetzDined on 12/1/2013I've been here three times and each time just as good as the last! Service is always friendly and on point! The white chocolate pancakes are delicious beyond words!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very fine Scottish SalmonD608Dined on 11/30/2013Very fine Scottish Salmon entrée, esp. for the price. Good value, nice food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanksgiving BuffetRadarDined on 11/28/2013We made a reservation for the Thanksgiving buffet for 3:45. When we got there, 15 minutes early, everything was stale. The turkey on the carving board was dried up and almost gone. The food, in general was old and almost gone. after we finished our meal, such as it was, a waitress came over and told us that if we wanted dessert we should get it soon because they were getting ready to close the buffet. So we went over to the desserts and they were almost gone. Some children were playing at the dessert table digging around in the ice cream and stirring the apple crisp, or whatever it was, like it was something to play with.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanksgiving BuffetOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/28/2013All was fresh and at proper temperature. All tasted good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewEaterDined on 11/22/2013The service was good, but the food and portions for the price wasn't much to be desired.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/9/2013Food was average. Nothing to tell a friend about. But our server Maegan was awesome. Very friendly and attentive. Also the scenery is great.Special Features:
- Not so greatJCguru1Dined on 10/22/2013The restaurant was very empty. We waited over 15 minutes for drinks. (They were sitting on the bar for at least 5 minutes) Appetizers took almost 25 minutes and entrees well over 30 minutes. It was also very noisy because there was a private party.Special Features:
- Horrible ServiceJoshVIPDined on 10/20/2013Decided to check it out for Sunday brunch. We sat outside. Service was as bad as it gets, it took over 20 minutes to get our menus, and another 20 minutes to order. Food came out wrong. C-.Special Features:
- Slow ServicektvmiscDined on 10/19/2013The restaurant was really nice but the service had a lot to be desired. Asked for cream for my coffee four times before I got it. Food took a long time to get to the table. By the time we got our plates, the food was lukewarm. When the bill came, I even had to ask for a pen to sign the credit card slip.
- a great experience crab cakessilkcityVIPDined on 9/29/2013a great experience crab cakes were superb! had an early dinner so not packed. wait staff was very attentive! third time there with no complaints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Diner FoodStick66VIPDined on 9/25/2013Looking for a diner in Jersey City? This is the place. Clean, good food, good service. It works.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty gooddetourDined on 9/21/2013We went here for my sister's birthday. Six people, one child. We were seated at a table that was slightly too small, wasn't a big deal as it was all family but might have been awkward otherwise. Drinks and appetizers came quickly and were all tasty. Entrees took a bit longer to arrive. A few of the fries that came with my steak were undercooked but other than that my meal was excellent. General consensus around the table was satisfaction. Average price was around $30-35 per person which was quite reasonable considering 3 apps and drinks all around. They had run out of many yummy sounding desserts but my peanut butter bombe was rich and delicious (make sure you share they're way too much for one person). All told, would eat here again.Special Features:
- BrunchGerryVIPDined on 9/1/2013We've had dinner at Skylark before but tried brunch for the first time. The food was great. I would describe it as diner food that was actually fresh and tasted good. We all had different omelettes; the portions were good and everyone liked their order. Coffee is good and the onsite baked bread was a nice surprise and great. Prices are reasonable. Service was okay--could have been better. They say they validate parking but they only validate partial or up the $3. We'll definitely go back and would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortably happyLuvalluDined on 8/14/2013We were going to go to P. F. Chang's, . I wanted something comfortable. not people on top of me while I was eating. So I looked on line for restaurants and found Skylark . I seen the menu had a variety of seafoods which I love, but my husband does not eat seafood. No worries, Skylark had a variety of meats to choose from.I also brought my daughter's to dine with us it was my Birthday. They are very picky eaters, But guess what they had food to satisfy them to .My daughter's are 13 and 14 and they were very happy. This beautiful happy server named MARTINE she made the night more extravagant even though we were casual. So polite. Beautifully spoken. she listen to every detail and request we made, she was so patient but yet efficient.C U soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service, ambience, locationnice2flVIPDined on 8/10/2013Service, ambience, location and view was great. Food was good as well. Will definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice neighborhood spotOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/30/2013I thought Skylark would have better views of the NYC skyline but it didn't (great promenade 2 min around the corner). Outdoor dining was still nice though. Dog friendly outside as well. Service was decent, a little slow to get started but the servers were friendly. We ordered a bunch of appetizers to share - lamb meatballs, mac & cheese, mussels and wings. The mac & cheese was the best with bacon and scallions. Wings were just wings and the lamb meatballs were tasty. I was very disappointed with the mussels because they were TINY and overcooked. Also got the apple strudel/cheesecake...not a great dessert to combine. Good variety of foods on the menu, cool concept of intl "upscale diner" but it was pricier than I would've hoped for.Special Features:
- good varietyLS115Dined on 7/26/20132 omnivores, a vegetarian, 2 kids...all had plenty to choose from and enjoy. The hostess and wait staff were very attentive. Interesting - and tasty - desserts. Again for a variety of palettes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.