Skosh Monahan's Steakhouse & Irish Pub
2000 Newport Blvd
Costa Mesa, CA 92627Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
Skosh Monahan's Steakhouse & Irish Pub
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://skoshmonahans.com/
- Phone: 9495480099
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Tuesday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Wednesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:30am
Lunch: Open Saturday @12:30 pm...Sunday @ 9:30 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse, Irish
- Executive Chef: Martin Morales
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering Food & Beverage including liquor available for business, personal or holiday events. Please call Gary Monahan @ 949-548-0099 to arrange.
- Private Party Facilities: Skosh's separate dining room can seat up to 60 people for a fantastic banquet, birthday party or other special occasion. With preset menus, the hassles of coordinating the meals for your occasion are taken care of. We also can host mixers or for a truly special occasion, the entire restaurant may be available...
- Private Party Contact: Michelle Mauro 9495480099
- Entertainment: In addition to our 12 HD TV's showing all major sporting events, nightly games, NFL Sunday Ticket, NHL Center Ice and MLB Extra Innings, Skosh Monahan's has live music and/or Karaoke every Friday and Saturday starting at 9 pm. With our Late Night Dining, Skosh's is a good tome all the time!
A word from Skosh Monahan's Steakhouse & Irish Pub
Celebrating our 12th year, Skosh Monahan's is known for our tantalizing steak, lamb & seafood dinners, excellent beer, wine & cocktail selections and fun, relaxed atmosphere. We serve Happy Hour until 6:30 pm daily, & all day & night Sundays & Mondays with sports on 15 HD flat screen TV's, , and live entertainment on Special Occasions. We also offer Kid's menus, with Kids eat free every Wednesday, a Gluten Free menu and daily dinner specials. So come in and enjoy yourself, let your hair down and engage in the old Irish custom of "Blarney". "The taller the tale, the merrier the laughter". The Spirit of St. Patrick's day lives every day at Skosh Monahan's.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Skosh Monahan's Steakhouse & Irish Pub reviews from OpenTable diners
5 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (4)neighborhood gem (3)great for lunch (3)fit for foodies (2)good for groups (2)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)notable wine list (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Thought we would have a great meal.Bronx731VIPDined on 7/26/2014I looked at the Open Table list of restaurants for a place for our small (6 people) group to dine and found Skosh Monahan's, an Irish pub with a 4.2 rating. I checked out the menu and it looked like a great place for us. All of the reviews I read mentioned the great food, especially the steaks. The six of us all had different dishes, ranging from salads to a rib eye (I had the rib eye). Not a single one of us enjoyed our meal. Two sent their meals back, my steak was tough and the sauce was bland. One person ordered a full rack of ribs, planning to bring half of it home. She ate three ribs and left the rest. The waitress (who was very good) apologized for "the new chef," but no accommodation was offered. Can't recommend this place.Special Features:
- great place to watch a gamescrapbookcathleenVIPDined on 7/13/2014We wanted to watch the final World Cup game, and Skosh's was just the place to enjoy a delicious Lamb Chop lunch special and watch Germany defeat Argentina in extra time! Perfect afternoon!Special Features:
- WowMichaelVIPDined on 6/26/2014It really is surprising to find such good food at a pub. We go there with our baby. They are so nice and accommodating. It is greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvinfood2Dined on 6/8/2014This was the first time at Skosh Monahan's. The restaurant is equally divided with a small bar but it totally works. The menu is a nice compliment of seafood, steaks, chicken and pastas. I had a steak which was absolutely delicious. The steak was served with garlic mashed potatoes and fresh vegetables. I was pleasantly surprised at the whole experience of ambiance and food. The owner came over and introduced himself and he was very nice and inviting to him establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 48 reviews are from the Skosh Monahan's Steakhouse & Irish Pub reviews archive.
- a neighbourhood favouritescrapbookcathleenVIPDined on 5/6/2014We dropped in for a late night burger, and I decided to try their "Corned Beef Burger". I was impressed, a tasty combination of burger, corned beef, grilled onions and bell peppers, and cheese. I'll definitely be back for one of those!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/14/2014Really enjoyed our first experience. Good food. A tad expensive but good enough that it was a good value. Worth the price. Great beer and liquor selection (didn't check the wine list). Would recommend and will be back. Great job.Special Features:
- a neighbourhood pubscrapbookcathleenVIPDined on 2/14/2014always a great place to drop in, have a bite to eat, watch a favourite sport (or the Olympics!), and see friendly faces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I wish we lived closer!YalooblooDined on 2/14/2014We made a reservation for Valentine's Day. My hubby and I were at a seminar in Irvine and it was on our way home. The seminar let out way early, but we stopped at Skosh's to see if we could change our time. They did not have any booths available but were happy to seat us in the bar at a high top. We were cool with that. They apologized a couple of times, but it was our bad, showing up an hour and a half early! The food was good and our bottle of wine was nice and reasonably priced. Chocolate creme brulee was the bomb. Only drawback is they looked to be short staffed. Things took awhile and there was some confusion on a change to the order. But we had a great time, and the bar was a cool place to hangout. We'd love to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as great as in past visitsCommentDined on 2/14/2014We mainly go for the quality of the food, the drinks and friendly service, but do enjoy the sports bar atmosphere that it is noted for as well.....For Valentines Day the food as always was delicious, however there was a large crowd and they were obviously understaffed....the wait was very long after we ordered. A salad was cancelled as it didn't arrive prior to the meal. We've had great experiences in the past at Skosh Monahans, so we would still recommend this restaurant to others... .I just really hate to complain to waiters about their oversights when our evening is predicated on having a wonderful experience overall....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good mealanneDined on 1/2/2014The rack of lamb was very good. We had a lovely experience.Special Features:
- always a good time at Skosh'sscrapbookcathleenVIPDined on 12/14/2013We love coming to Skosh's whether it is meeting a friend, or a big group meeting up. It is always welcoming. Service is great. Looking forward to the next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visitGracie952000Dined on 12/6/2013Food was good, service was great!! Drinks were STRONG!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten free menu!FinkDined on 11/30/2013They offer an extensive gluten free menu and (I asked) a dedicated prep area and dedicated frier, so you are actually getting gluten free food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasant surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/28/2013Late afternoon on Thanksgiving day. No other diners, only bar and sports bar patrons but chef still in residence and we had three very satisfactory meals at a reasonable cost.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighbourhood pubscrapbookcathleenVIPDined on 11/16/2013Skosh's is a classic neighbourhood pub, where food, family, and friends all spill together. Family-owned, Skosh is there to make sure everything goes well. It is not a fancy place, but it definitely has the feel of a pub. Too many tvs for my tastes, but if you wanted to watch a game, this is the place. Came with a group, and on less than 15 minutes notice, had a table set and ready to go as we arrived! No complaintsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second Visit, First BetterSullyfishVIPDined on 8/14/2013This was our second visit. The first visit was excellent. The steaks this time seemed of lower quality. Will give another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServiceSullyfishVIPDined on 7/25/2013The service and food were excellent. Had the 16oz New York. Best ever. No wonder they are famous for their steaks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed (Wish it were better)jaclynkbVIPDined on 5/31/2013My husband and I really want Skosh's to be our go-to place, but it continues to disappoint. I have been telling him for years (we have been in the area for 10) that we are too old for bad food or service, which is what we get at Skosh's half the time. He has continued to believe that things will get better. They have not. They have gotten worse. Four of us arrived on Friday night for dinner. It's uncomfortable for dining. The leather booths have been replaced by a clutter of bar-height tables. The beer from the tap was warm. Food was fair. The server said the fish of the "fish and chips" was tilapia. (Really? We had it. It was NOT tilapia.) There were plenty of servers but they were no where to be found. It's done. We're not going back.
- Food was very good (steak)delightedDined on 5/17/2013Food was very good (steak) service very good... low key restaurant in neighborhoodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have been to Skosh Monahan'sOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/20/2013We have been to Skosh Monahan's several times & always enjoy our meal.
- Service was excellent. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/7/2013Service was excellent. The owner came over to talk to us and made us feel special. The variety of dishes meant everyone found the perfect choice. I can' wait to go again and try something different. The corned beef and cabbage was fantastic.Special Features:
- Mr Monahan himself was onOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/25/2012Mr Monahan himself was on duty and took great care of us on Christmas!Special Features:
- Fun and upbeat atomosphere.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/13/2012Fun and upbeat atomosphere. Customer friendly. Very good food.Special Features:
- Love everything about thisKateDined on 10/7/2012Love everything about this place except the service. While the owner is affable, the waitress were awful. Our waitress had no clue about drinks, was absent / inattentive, and when I mentioned she brought me a broken glass (the rim was broken with sharp edges - I have a picture of it) she rolled her eyes at me before taking the replacing it. Sorry, but I don't tip because the waitress wears short shorts. I tip good service.Special Features:
- Good food but not a steakhouse.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/22/2012First of all, calling this a steakhouse is like calling McDonalds a place for Haute Cuisine. Call me silly but when I hear the word steakhouse I think of a place that specializes in steaks, not burgers and bar food. That being said, the food was very good. We started with an artichoke that was okay but did have a very good dipping sauce and then my girlfriend got a lobster dish that she said was great and I got the cheese steak which was okay. The apple cobbler for desert was also very good. The waitresses were very friendly and the service was quick and efficient so no problems there. But please drop the steakhouse from the name and just call it an Irish pub and it would be more accurate.
- local owned pubscrapbookcathleenVIPDined on 9/14/2012Food is good, local owner is friendly and available, some of the waitresses are good, some need an attitude an adjustment, live music is welcoming, not a fan of TVs, but then pubs are like sports bars these days.Special Features:
- Not a great first timeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/11/2012My wife ordered the seared ahi and I ordered the fish and chips. As an appetizer we ordered the Irish nachos. The nachos were excellent and her dinner dish was great too. My dish however was horrible, the fish smelled very fishy and we could smell the fish before she even sat it on the table. The fish tasted very fishy and gross. I am willing to give this place another try but the only way that I would ever try the fish again is if they were to let me try a piece for free. The waitress did not know drinks that well and neither did the bartender, but that is somewhat passable.Special Features:
- Gluten free & yummy!CrazyfrocksDined on 7/6/2012What a wonderful local hot spot! The food was hot, fresh and tasty! They had a extensive gluten free menu! Service a great! Will definitely be back next time I'm in town!Special Features:
- This is a bar, not a restaurant.KateDined on 6/17/2012This place is a bar. It is not kid friendly, except for the menu. The one area to sit in for kids (where there is no smoking and you can hear each other w/o shouting) is so dark kids can't see what color the crayons are. Service was hard to get at first, but they stepped up. Pub food was good. Steak was okay - not good. As loud as the bar was for a Sunday evening, I'm not sure I'd go back w/o the kids. Definitely will not be back with them, though.
- Take the Kids to Chuckie CheeseFoodieVIPDined on 6/8/2012Decided to try out Skosh for Friday dinner and watch the Dodger Game. Greeted well and found a table in the dinning room to watch the Game. However a large group with loud screaming kids running around made the ambiance less along with a loud obnoxiousness man drinking for four people did not make the experience nice but the food is very good. next time will just sit in the pub area. What ever happened to Children should be seen and not heard?Special Features:
- another great meal at Skosh'sscrapbookcathleenVIPDined on 5/25/2012Another great meal at Skosh's: this time an halibut dish on a bed of spinach, tasty.Special Features:
- It was my first time hereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/24/2012It was my first time here and missed the place once. The sign seemed to be smaller than what was shown on-line. The food was good and we really enjoyed our after dinner Irish coffee. I had the fish & chips and my friend had the lamb chops which were both delicious. For dessert, we had apple cobbler with vanilla ice cream. Yummy! However, I was not very impressed with our main server, Echo. It was very difficult to find her when we needed something. The other servers seemed to be much better since I see them more than our server and they had helped us on several occasions. My impression is that they share the tips since everyone jumped in & accomodated our requests. Overall, it was not a bad dining experience.
- Great burger, great service, greatscrapbookcathleenVIPDined on 4/24/2012Great burger, very nice waitress. She got the order taken and in quickly, and came back to make sure everything was great. Just the kind of service you want in a neighbourhood pub. Thanks again!
- very casual and offers a wideOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/24/2012very casual and offers a wide variety of food....good place for the sport enthusisast as they have many wide screensSpecial Features:
- The Food was very good asOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/25/2012The Food was very good as well as the service...ThanksSpecial Features:
- Great service for a group!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/22/2012Held a group gathering for the NFC/AFC Championships. They reserved a table for us which was perfect for watching the games. Service was great. Owner came by regularly to see how we were doing and if we needed anything. They even bought us a round or two. A great time was had by all and we'll see you again next year!Special Features:
- Service was a little slowOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2011Service was a little slow but there was a large party that received a lot of attention. Would not totally rate their service based on that one night. Also was NYE.Special Features:
- Great Food & Sports WatchingFrequentDinerVIPDined on 12/18/2011My wife and I found this restaurant to be your typical neigborhood Irish sports bar hang-out, only with very good food. The portions and taste were suprisingly good and if you enjoy watching the game while eating, this place has a flat screen covering almost every inch of the place. As you would expect, the dress is very causal, jeans, sweatshirts and in some cases shorts, prices are resonable and you diffinately get more than what you pay for!Special Features:
- Great food but that was itOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/7/2011This was out first time to Skosh's. Food was fantastic. Best Sheperds Pie I have had in Calif. Service needs work. Only seemed like there was one waitress. Lots of servers to bring food once you finaly got to order but drink refills etc. were not good. Took for ever to get the check when we were done. Then even longer to get card back once bill was picked up. But food was so good we will give it another try.Special Features:
- We visited on a very quietluv2dine2VIPDined on 7/24/2011We visited on a very quiet Sunday evening. The service was excellent and dinner was good.Special Features: