55 Needham Street
Newton, MA 02461Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.skipjacks.com/
- Phone: 6179644244
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 3:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Chef Andrew C. Wilkinson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have two private rooms available. One is a minimum of 8 people required to book without a room fee and holds a maximum of 12 people comfortably. We also have a larger room that is a minimum of 30 people required to book without a room fee and holds a maximum of 40 comfortably.
- Private Party Contact: Robert Regan 6179644244
- Entertainment: We have piped in background music.
A word from Skipjack's Newton
Located minutes off of I95/128, Skipjack's has devoted itself to importing the freshest seafood from around the world and offering it at the best prices in town. Skipjack's is a local favorite. Superb seafood, prime steak and fresh creative sushi. Superb drinks and an award winning wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Skipjack's Newton reviews from OpenTable diners
- Pleasant suburban place butOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/24/2012Pleasant suburban place but they need more wine choices by the glass. Our waiter said they had no pinot grigio....that they had run out, which I find hard to believe. Food is fairly good.
- We took an out of town executiveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/20/2012We took an out of town executive from our corporate office to Skipjack's for a seafood dinner. From the moment you enter the restaurant to the time you exit you experience complete professionalism. The service was outstanding and the food, for the flavor and presentation was that of a very high end restaurant. Our executive was very impressed and the dinner was enjoyed by all. I would highly recommend this restaurant, offering the high level of seafood as those in Boston without the hassle of the city and the high cost of parking. Perfect!Special Features:
- Food was good. They cookedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/18/2012Food was good. They cooked the lobsters, both steamed and bake-stuffed, very well. The waiter was a little spacey. They made a mistake with one of the orders so one of our party got her food way after the rest of us. Not a big deal, all things considered, but all the manager did was say sorry. No offer to buy us coffee or send over a dessert or anything. The staff just seemed generally aloof. And this was on a Monday night when they weren't very busy.
- Love the clam chowder at Skipjack'sOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/6/2012Love the clam chowder at Skipjack's! Our server, Janelle was lovely and timed our courses perfectly. She was on top of drink refills and checked in appropriately, always smiling. Will definitely be back again.Special Features:
- The fried clams were not cleanedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/30/2012The fried clams were not cleaned or prepared well. Three people actually had the same dinner and all three thought the same. We have spoken to the manager and have to go to the restaurant to return our "take home" portion of food.
- The servers were very attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/25/2012The servers were very attentive and helpful. The food was excellent. I had the Mahi Mahi teriyaki and it was tender and flavorful. My husband's Chilean Sea Bass with Ginger was bland and we sent it back for extra seasonings which helped. There were a lot of family groups with children, so it was a bit noisy for us but still a pleasant experience.
- We went very early so a quietemilyDined on 5/25/2012We went very early so a quiet booth was available and service was excellent. It was busier and noisier by the time wwe left but certainly still comfortable.
- Food was exellent. ServersOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/13/2012Food was exellent. Servers did not rush you and was very polite.Special Features:
- excellent SOFT SHELL CRAB...but!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/12/2012The soft shell crab was OUTSTANDING along with the Manager that evening, Bob, that evening, both of which salvaged the horrific experience of the waitress, Jonelle. Her attitude and demeanor need to be improved both for herself and the image projected for the restaurant. The draw of the excellent crab would not compensate being assigned to her table again. I shutter to think how she would behave if it were during a busier time. Our reservation was at 6:30 pm and the restaurant was only about half full!!!
- Skipjack's maintains a highOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/11/2012Skipjack's maintains a high level of quality in a quiet room. I had special soft-shelled crabs that were outstanding.
- Friendly service, quiet, spaciousOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/6/2012Friendly service, quiet, spacious ambience, really great food. We've been passing by for years and never tried it. Now we're really glad we did.Special Features:
- -The food was fairly goodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/5/2012-The food was fairly good but did not correspond to the price. -Rhode Island calamari appetizer - nothing special, very average, too spicy. -Sushi/maki were good but pretty ordinary. -Belgian St. Luis beer was like cranberry juice in taste. -No special meal/meal of the day was offered. -I found the service unusually not chatty and pretty formal with no individual touch.
- Second time there in a weekOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/18/2012Second time there in a week ... I am starting to like it more and more. On Wednesdays, they have great sushi roll specials at the bar.
- At at the bar ... on MondayOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/16/2012At at the bar ... on Monday nights, they have decent raw bar specials. I will definitely go back again.
- The restaurant did not offerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/25/2012The restaurant did not offer sushi on Sundays though it was listed on the website menu. They were also out of several other offerings and the food was just OK, nothing to want to make us return in the future.
- My husband and I keep comingAllyncDined on 3/24/2012My husband and I keep coming back to this Skip Jacks. We like the porch area because it's quieter for dining. Great food and excellent service.Special Features:
- The piped in music was tooMangiaDined on 3/15/2012The piped in music was too loud and the selection was annoying.Special Features:
- The food,as always with Skipjacks,wOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/10/2012The food,as always with Skipjacks,was fresh and excellently prepared. I would have enjoyed a bigger entree for the price,however,it was plenty for most people.Special Features:
- Delicious, and the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/6/2012Delicious, and the service was great. Was there for a business lunch, and the server recognized the right times to approach the table, allowing us to conduct our business, while maintaining a high level of service.
- Food was very good and theOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/3/2012Food was very good and the wait staff was friendly and ver accomadatting to the younger kidsSpecial Features:
- Great combination of New EnglandOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/26/2012Great combination of New England seafood and sushi on a menu (rare to see), although no sushi on Sundays :( Good food, great service. Very weird coctails menu, but good enough wine list.
- Skipjack's has gone down fromOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/18/2012Skipjack's has gone down from being a place you go dressed business casual to a jeans and sweatshirt restaurant. We went for an evening out and could have rolled out of bed for my meal. The server was concerned about filling my water glass all night long, and not my food, or the food at the table.
- The seafood tower was reallyFrancaVIPDined on 2/17/2012The seafood tower was really fresh, great presentation, wished there was more seafood. The skipjack's sampler was good not the best I've had.The warm bread was outstanding!!!Special Features:
- Limited menu since it wasTheDogDined on 2/14/2012Limited menu since it was Valentines Day and would have liked to have known this at the time I made the reservation. Sushi was excellent - except the waitress brought us the wrong item - which we ate without saying anything. It's kind of a stuffy atomosphere and not sure I would recommend this SkipJack's. Lot of $$ for what we had.
- The seafood was sublime, possiblyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/14/2012The seafood was sublime, possibly the best seafood I have had in the area. And THIS area presents some serious competition. The Gingered Sea Bass wa so delicious I wanted to order another plate of it as soon as I finished it! The cod was fabulous as well. But the decor needs updating. The upholstery and carpets are stale. The acoustic tile ceiling is passe' and the lighting/ambience in need of a rethinking. If you want superlative seafood though, this is a great place to go. But the food is far more elegant than the physical plant.Special Features:
- The Valentine Menu was great....sawlambkinVIPDined on 2/14/2012The Valentine Menu was great....saw many new items as well as some of my favorites. It is a great neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:
- Cioppino is ok, needs a rethinking.GFreshDined on 2/11/2012Had cioppino which was filled with only shellfish, no white fish, which I thought unusual, so I had lots of calamari, some mussels, no clams, some shrimp, some scallops... Nice broth, but I wanted more broth, no vegetables other than some hints of tomato, the dish needs some rethinking, although it was filling...Special Features:
- Skipjacks has restored theirpussycatDined on 2/3/2012Skipjacks has restored their terrific Signature Dishes - Teryaki Mahi Mahi and Wasabi crusted Salmon and has wonderful fresh fish - fresher than some places near the water in Boston. And now has an extensive Sushi offering. Great place for quiet business lunch with good maitre d' and attentive service. And the sweet potato fries are to die for. Lovely bar area to sit in too.Special Features:
- Poor lighting was our onlyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/31/2012Poor lighting was our only complaint. Meals were delicious and we had more than generous portions. Our waitress was great, atttentive and helpful.Special Features:
- DisappointedKimSVIPDined on 1/25/2012Very disappointed. We were seated in the way back, next to a table of food that was being consumed by people standing around -- often right by our table. Disturbing, noisy,and unpleasant. The hostess was not friendly or responsive. She should have warned us. The waiter or hostess or manager should have moved us.
- Prices have increased, qualitygoodeatersandcookersVIPDined on 1/23/2012Prices have increased, quality dimished; used to be favorite
- The food at Skip Jacks remainsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/10/2012The food at Skip Jacks remains constant--really good fish (better than Legals I would say), good food at good prices. The restaurant itself is a little dated/tired and probably needs a facelift, but our server and the food made up for it.
- The New Years Special wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2011The New Years Special was over at 11PM but was not advertised as just a menue special.I will never go there again becaused it caused me and my date to miss out on celebrating the New Year.It was not worth $120 for just a meal.We could have gone to a Tango party insead. Ken NygrenSpecial Features:
- Unaccommodating ManagementlabbydogVIPDined on 12/31/2011We went on NY's eve. We were told on the phone that we could order off the regular menu, as well as from the prix fixe one ($45 per person) that night. When we got there, Yuri, one of the managers, said no, we could not unless we "remembered" what was on the regular menu (What do I have? A photographic memory? This was nonsense!) My husband explained that he had called and was told he could. Yuri just stood there and said it was a misunderstanding. I wanted to leave, but our drinks suddenly appeared. This place has a communication problem amongst the staff. IMO Yuri made the wrong move; he should have let us order from the regular menu. The food was wonderful (at least they have a good chef), but the management leaves a lot to be desired.
- We went for an early New Year'sAllyncDined on 12/31/2011We went for an early New Year's dinner. It looked so nice decorated for the holidays. Our waitress was lovely and chatted with us just enough. Food was great. Really good Blue Point oysters followed by swordfish and sea bass entrees that were delicious and interesting with a lot of veges. We will go back again.Special Features:
- Food was way too salty. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/23/2011Food was way too salty. The clam chowder was gritty and salty and the ciopino was tasteless and oversalted.
- The food was fine. Never great,KennVIPDined on 12/17/2011The food was fine. Never great, but more than adequate for the price. It is local, so I continue to go on occasion, but it really can't come close to Legals, any location, on any score. This trip, MY waiter was very kind; however, he was not around frequently which may have had to do with other duties seeing that I was there in an off hour. I needed him a few times and had to wait. There was a waitress serving another table, who was just obnoxious to me, when I asked her, quite kindly, to send my waiter over if she saw him. She never said a bad word but her eyes, facial contortion and body language could have killed. I did notice that she was very friendly to her party of 5, so I was clearly a bother, from whom she was not going to benefit.
- Delicious and DependablesimcohVIPDined on 12/13/2011We had a terrific meal. The caterpillar roll was delicious as was the chilean sea bass cooked the Skipjack way. The sides were soso. Our friends had the steam clams that were also great and the hot buttery rolls are always a treat. We miss the baked potato option.Special Features:
- i haven't been to SkipjacksSteakloverVIPDined on 12/12/2011i haven't been to Skipjacks in quite a while. i'll be back. food was well prepared, staff were attentive. a great casual dinnerSpecial Features:
- Waiter was OK. Food veryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/10/2011Waiter was OK. Food very good, as usual. Hostess had ZERO personality - borderline zombie. She was most unhelpful.