199 Clarendon St.
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.skipjacks.com/
- Phone: 6175363500x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 3:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Jeff Senior
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Party with us! Let our experts help you celebrate hassle free. We can create a menu and atmosphere perfect for your party needs. From family parties to corporate events, your place or ours, we eagerly await your call.
- Private Party Contact: Allison Barnhart 6175363500x
- Entertainment: Live jazz brunch every Sunday at Skipjack's! The Winiker's offer top quality jazz with their quartet. Skipjack's offers an acoustically favorable room and delicious brunch fare to make every Sunday memorable. Starts at 10am every Sunday!
- Cross Street: Boylston & St James
- Public Transit: We are walking distance from both the Back Bay Station(orange line and commuter rail) and the Copley T(green line).
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: We offer two hour free parking in our building anytime after 5:00PM. Simply have your parking ticket validated by your server prior to leaving. Enter the underground area on Clarendon or St James.
A word from Skipjack's Boston
Located in the heart of the Back Bay (across the street from Trinity Church). Skipjack's has devoted itself to importing the freshest seafood from around the world and offering it at the best prices in town. Skipjack's is a local favorite. Superb seafood, prime steak and a fresh creative sushi menu. Delicious cocktails and libations with an award winning wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Skipjack's Boston reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (22)good for groups (20)great for lunch (13)neighborhood gem (13)special occasion (12)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (5)romantic (4)late-night find (4)great for outdoor dining (4)great for brunch (3)hot spot (2)Show More
- jackVIPDined on 10/19/2014Hard to find good seafood in Boston and heard Skipjacks was a good alternative to the over rated other fish behemoth. While the fish was fresh the "special" preparations were a bit off, too creamy and obscured the fish flavor. Stick with the simple plain preparations.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014The entire meal - from soup to nuts- was quite delicious; we had never been to the restaurant, we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Losing the battleKnishdoctorVIPDined on 10/16/2014Skipjacks was once a great place. We dined many times at their Brookline location (closed), their Newton location (closed), and just dined at their Boston location--which our excellent waitress informed us would be closing by November 1st. Our fish entrees were very average. They were cooked long enough but the presentation, sauces, etc were basic and not terribly tasty. Salmon with wasabi glaze. The salmon was cooked well but the wasabi glaze was mealy and tasteless and the vegetable bed it was presented on was oily and tasteless. We used to have great dinners at Skipjacks--the quality standards have fallen and soon there will be only a single location left in the Boston area. Too bad.
- Enjoyable but saltyvodilDined on 10/12/2014Good place. The one ding we would give it is that many of the dishes were overly salty.Special Features:
- Great food!NewcomerVIPDined on 10/10/2014Everything about this restaurant was good. The hostess was pleasant and our waiter was wonderful. The food was delicious and we were able to have good conversation without screaming over noise. I recommend this restaurant highly to anyone in Boston. Best deal was the free parking in the garage underneath! Thank you for a very nice evening out!Special Features:
- Great foodBgriffeeDined on 10/8/2014My first trip to Boston and Skipjacks was recommended by the bellhop of the Loews Hotel. Great recommendation! Food was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Sunday Jazz BrunchbobrussDined on 10/5/2014Birthday brunch with the family. Nice jazz group. Outstanding service and very good food. 3 of us had the signature Skipjack Eggs. Eggs benedict with homemade crab cake; unique and delicious. Not very crowded when we went just before 1:30PM, but it's a couple blocks away from the hustle and bustle of Newbury St.Special Features:
- Clams with BelliesLUVTHELOBSTERDined on 10/3/2014My first night in Boston, wanted to eat somewhere close to my Hotel. Skipjack's was recommended by the Hotel so I gave it a try. The Ipswich Clams were awesome and just the right amount. My wife had the Lobster Roll which she said was delicious. I would highly recommend Skipjack's Boston.Special Features:
- Good place to eat - little priceygtpitchDined on 9/26/2014Overall was very satisfied with my meal. Our server was very good, made recommendations and was very attentive. I ordered the wasabi salmon and found that the vegetables underneath were delicious. The crust on the salmon was also very good, though not as spicy as I would've liked. The salmon itself was overcooked but still not bad. The lobster bisque was delicious and a large helping and the crab cakes also very good. Overall not a bad experience just didn't expect overcooked fish for $30.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2014Haven't been here in years, away from crowds and easy to park or get a reservation on short notice. Great variety of seafood and very good.
- Very Good Food and Service.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Food and service was excellent. The food was very good and reasonable priced.Special Features:
- Denny's look but flavorful.DenverCulinaryAdventureDined on 9/11/2014Behind a famous church, not much to the eye, with many booths and diners staying just long enough to eat and leave. But the food was very good. The seafood pasta was tasty and filling. Clam Chowder was very good, but not the best.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/10/2014We hope it was only a one night problem, but the rolls were not up to their usual standard. They weren't hot and had been sitting around for a while as they were dry.
- Hidden gemDonccpaVIPDined on 9/6/2014Easy Boston restaurant. Validated parking with underground garage connected to the restaurant. The food was awesome. Had oysters and salmon.
- Just so average!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/5/2014First time @ skip jacks . Not sure if I would return . Although the food tasted fresh and delicious . The service was the worst ever . I see why this place was 85% empty on a beautiful Friday evening .I would recommend this to a friend.
- CowpollyDined on 9/4/2014Good seafood a nice switch from Legal. Staff great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected mealClaycnstDined on 8/29/2014One of the top three best meals I've had in Boston. Except for the table across the room with 7 kids, all under 8yrs old, it was great. The chop chop salad was unique, and the ginger sea bass was excellent as expected. I'm in Boston every 4 months, and I've eaten at maybe 15 restaurants that are supposed to be fine dining experiences.Special Features:
- BradyBoyDined on 8/23/2014Really enjoyed the mussels. The trio was excellent with swordfish, a crab cake, and large shrimp. We will be back.
- Reliably great fishJonBDined on 8/23/2014We've been coming to Skipjack's for years. Its reliably very good with great salads (try the chop chop), great raw bar, good sushi, great fish entrees and fine service. If they had the name recognition of Legals, it would be hard to get in. As it stands, its easy to get a table and the food is great.Special Features:
- Skipjack's BostonjaydeeDined on 8/17/2014We had a very enjoyable evening at SkipJack's. Our server was very friendly and accommodating, the sushi and seafood entrees were terrific, and dessert was outstanding. The Chocolate Mousse with Strawberries was delicious and twice the size one usually sees and the Chocolate Bread Pudding is awesome! We always enjoy going to Skipjack's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Service was excellent, and everyone in our group enjoyed their food. The lobster casserole special I had was delicious.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependable Reasonable SeafoodbernerloverDined on 8/5/2014I travel rarely to Boston from Florida, but I remembered Skipjack's from my 2009 visit. In fact, I ate here and at Atlantic Fish both this trip and in 2009, but recalled only Skipjack from '09 until I found my records. That is very positive for Skipjack's. I ate there twice in 2009 and once this trip. They cheerfully accommodated a group that grew from 2 to 4 to 6, with the last two added only 15 minutes before arriving at the restaurant. The servers were pleasant and prompt, and I really enjoyed the very fresh shellfish. The noise level was modest, so we could talk. Everyone in my group bragged about the food and my choice of the restaurant. They certainly deserve a higher ranking on Trip Advisor than they have currently!Special Features:
- Decent lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/5/2014I ordered the seafood sliders - they were ok. Not fantastic, but a decent meal.
- service ok, food, so soOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014While service was good, food was not hot, little ambience.
- Consistently delicious !LuvgoodfoodDined on 7/26/2014The food is always great. I love the chop chop salad, so no matter what else I am getting, I have to have that first. My friend agreed about the food, location and atmosphereSpecial Features:
- A new great seafood findPowell133Dined on 7/26/2014My wife and I visit Boston once a year and try a new restaurant each time. Having read other reviews of Skipjack's on Open Table, we decided to try it. It was great! I tried the chef's special which was a grilled striped bass and it was excellent. After advising the server that my wife had an allergy to soy oil, they were quick to point out where soy oil is used in their preparation so she could avoid those items. She had the baked cod and was not disappointed. We will definitely return to Skipjack's the next time we're in Boston.
- Visitor to the CityHarriettMosesDined on 7/21/2014I was in town for a conference at the Sheraton. I ate here once for lunch and came back for dinner. What a nice find. I had the blackened salmon, which I substituted from the chicken offered on the Cobb salad. It was incredible. My dinner meal, baked scrod was good too. Although I thoroughly enjoyed the salad more. I would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewNopeDined on 7/12/2014It was good. No clue what the waiter's name was, but he was excellent.Special Features:
- Great food and service!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/11/2014We were very pleased with boy the food and the service! Our waiter recommended the Ginger Sea bass which was amazing and a great inexpensive bottle of wine to accompany it. A great pick for a seafood dinner!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinner near Copley PlazaExpatInNJDined on 7/4/2014Decided on Skipjack's due to it's proximity to our hotel on Copley Plaza - this was a good call, as Hurricane Arthur decided to drench and gust and carry on the night we ventured out, and more than a two block walk would have drowned or blown us away. Our server was wonderfully attentive without being a bother, and the food was tasty. The Dan Dan Shrimp Dumplings were GREAT, and our main courses were nice, too. I gave up on eating the fish tacos as tacos, though, as the shell got soggy and fell apart. Hubby was ok with the substitution of green beans for spinach in his meal, but would have liked to have been told about it beforehand. Biggest win: the prices were MUCH more reasonable than a lot of the restaurants in Back Bay.Special Features:
- Terrible food!!!dpm27Dined on 7/4/2014ordered a fisherman's platter... evidently the chef just throws the fried food onto the plate directly from the deep fryer. the food was soggy and just plain unappetizing.$100 for 2 platters 2 wines and 2 salads. Waaaay overpriced for the quality and service. only myself and a friend sitting at the bar and they still screwed up our order.
- Good, but not GreatSarahDined on 6/29/2014We tried to get reservations at other seafood restaurants, but were unsuccessful, so landed on Skipjack's due to availability. Assets are location, and the excellent oysters. A fellow guest was excited about the $2 Yuengling Draft. However, while it was not bad, it was not great.Special Features:
- Fresh seafood and a great mealBrewstaBoyVIPDined on 6/25/2014Our party of five enjoyed a wonderful meal of seafood choices, all well prepared and attentively served. Among us, we had a delicious and generous lobster bisque, a slightly dry swordfish, moist crab cakes, a nicely prepared steak and a lovely salmon fillet. The preparations, while mainly well executed, were a little on the in imaginative side - a light sauce, a pairing with a starch, something - would have been nice, but one can also argue that one comes to a seafood restaurant for fresh fish, period, and we surely got that. One knock: the place was SO empty at 7:30 on a Wednesday night that they should have aggregated the diners in one area; because they didn't, we felt as if we were eating in an abandoned function hall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 809 reviews are from the Skipjack's Boston reviews archive.
- Great fishlovebostonfoodDined on 6/20/2014I thought the food was fantastic, and the location was convenient. Best fish tacos I've had in Boston because they have great cuts of fish. Will definitely go again.
- Awful ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/16/2014Rude staff. The oyster special "required" a 45 minutes wait even when all the other patrons had food and the place was almost empty. Not great atmosphere either... All in all I would not recommend to anybody and it is my first time ever writing a negative review so it tells you how bad it was
- Great classic seafoodShannonDined on 6/10/2014Ordered the steamers and crab cakes. Both were great classic seafood entrees done really well. Looking forward to going back and trying more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots to Pick FromOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/7/2014We enjoyed our salads and entrees here and still had room to enjoy dessert. Grilled char was especially good, as were the Green Goddess Salad and the special strawberry shortcake. Service was a bit inconsistent but generally fine. We'd gladly come back here when we're back in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Great fish near Copley!JPdinerDined on 6/6/2014We had a great meal before going to the Lyric Stage to see a play! Nice view from our table near the window. Tony was a wonderful server!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/1/2014One of the best experiences. We went for brunch had the delicious shrimp cocktail with fresh oysters. Then we ate the most amazing lobster rolls. I will come back over and over again, plus love the jazz band that preformed during the brunch! Great service, our waitress was amazing and she made it easy to decide one what to get!Special Features:
- Great food, but ambiance is lackingRDBADined on 5/31/2014This was my third visit to Skipjacks. They serve very good seafood, with a nicely varied menu and reasonable prices. However, I am always uninspired by the ambiance. It's kind of dark and drab, with lots of wood and old furniture. Maybe one step above S&S deli. It seems outdated…like a place that might have seemed fancy in the 60s, but is in dire need of a contemporary make-over. Mind you, it's not a dive, just kind of blah. This is why I typically prefer Atlantic Seafood when I'm in the Back Bay, which seems a bit more stylish, festive and on par with the look and feel of the Back Bay. That said, Skipjacks delivers on taste and the service is decent.