146 Newark Ave.
Jersey City, NJ 07302Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://skinnersloft.com/
- Phone: 2019150600
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Skinner's Loft
Within a beautiful atmosphere of well worn wood, brick and salvaged furnishings, you'll find great food, served by friendly, knowledgeable people. Skinner's Loft is a local spot with a cosmopolitan outlook, featuring fresh ingredients, eclectic dishes, craft beers and a variety of boutique wines and spirits.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Skinner's Loft reviews from OpenTable diners
2 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3Noise LevelModerate
romantic (2)fit for foodies (1)special occasion (1)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- Great SpotlisaDined on 5/3/2014My husband and I had dinner at Skinner's Loft over the weekend, and we had a great experience. We sat upstairs and the atmosphere was comfortable, eclectic and warm. We started with the cippolini onion blossoms; very tasty. My husband enjoyed his steak and parmesan fries and the burger I had was excellent. I also really loved the side of brussels sprouts I ordered. We split a vanilla gelato for dessert which was great too. The menu was on the small side, but when the food is done well, it works. Overall, a really good meal and we will visit again.Special Features:
- First Datecsjersey2Dined on 4/3/2014In the evening, the restaurant is dimly lit and for a first date, I was more than happy with this restaurant. We were sat by the window and were able to carry on a conversation without distractions or chatter in the background. The food was great. The only downside of this restaurant may be the cost of the entrees. Be aware that entrees will start at $25 and up.. it is more of a classier place for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood Find!MARYWDined on 3/29/2014We went here while visiting Grove street and loved it. Their menu is full of interesting flavor profiles and combinations that all delivered. The flight of mini ice cream cones was the perfect finish. The decoration and overall environment is really eclectic and unique. Definitely recommend this jewel!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great small platesssp25Dined on 2/16/2014I've been here several times, once for brunch and twice for dinner. We prefer dinner and sharing their varied small plates and salads is definitely the way to go.Special Features:
- Only for drinks!ChachiDined on 2/6/2014The service was good, but the food was greasy and bland. Nice place to have a drink after work.
- Consistently brilliantHudsonFellaDined on 1/24/2014Our favorite place in town. From the basket of bread to the fireplace, the experience is comforting and civilized. Gnocchi with Duck Confit is perfect for a cold winter night. Salmon deviled eggs -- wow. Perfectly cooked chops; flavorful sides; a smart and well-priced wine menu. Prompt, unobtrusive service from staff that know the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!LucyVIPDined on 1/5/2014The food and service were outstanding -- frequent visits are recommended!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My only complaint may be thatnewlywedsDined on 12/31/2013My only complaint may be that the bar is rather slow to fill cocktail orders for the tables... but the cocktails are very well made and worth the wait. The roof deck is a nice brunch spot in the summertime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local gemMBSolomonDined on 12/31/2013Since Skinner's Loft opened, it's been consistently excellent. I've had several New Year's Eve dinners here, late night drinks on the rooftop deck, drinks at the bar, appetizers at the front tables near the open windows, several brunch meals, and evening snacks. Not once have I (or my fellow diners) been let down. Jersey City is lucky to have a place like Skinner's Loft.Special Features:
- Excellent Food & Decent ServiceJeppy1229Dined on 12/18/2013Went there for a birthday and got right in fine with no wait. Food was excellent and it should be noted that if you are there for a birthday make sure you ask them to bring out the spinning candle thing. That was neatest damn thing! If I had anything to complain about it would be that the service was lacking just a little bit. The place was pretty empty and it still took a long time to get our initial drinks. The waitress was also a little "flat" in her demeanor and not very personable. She didn't seem to know much about the menu. On the other hand, she did take something off the bill we didn't like that was clearly our fault for ordering after not reading correctly on the menu, so that makes up for it. Would def go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lofty gemBillCDined on 11/10/2013Don't know how long this place has been open but I'm glad I found it. The food was excellent and everyone in my party had an excellent meal. Steak cook to specs and well presented. Great craft beers. The service however was weak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time there0251Dined on 11/8/2013Very good dining experience. Would return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining at Skinner's LoftDaisyDined on 11/2/2013Great place. The food and service were very good. Very friendly atmosphere. Quite extensive menu. Highly recommend the Hummus. Only downside is the lack of on the street parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieRocDined on 10/25/2013Food was amazing...as they seem to put a lot of care into every dish...anything with truffle is yummy...love this place!Special Features:
- a must try!papoDined on 9/28/2013Great food and great service! Highly recommend and definitely will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/21/2013Skinner's Loft is top notch - service, food, ambiance - everything! A great family business. I highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Great SpotDebzyVIPDined on 9/10/2013Love this neighborhood restaurant. Great rooftop eating area, really nice decor in an old historic building. Really well done, very friendly staff and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Although I was unable to indulge,LeeLaDined on 8/2/2013Although I was unable to indulge, their Wine list is impressive. The shared Mac & Cheese, delicious. I thoroughly my grilled peach gorgonzola salad.Yet, I must note that I ordered a med. Salmon, and received it well (with little to no moisture).My Server was polite and helpful in guiding me through the extensive menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodAlliesauntDined on 6/8/2013This restaurant never disappoints. The food is first rate and the wait staff are professional and courteous & will gladly make substitutions if you don't happen to like a particular side that comes with a featured entree. The atmosphere is urban rustic but cozy. The food is so consistently good that I wouldn't hesitate to take a business contact there for lunch or dinner yet it's also appropriate for a romantic dinner for two or a family gathering, The salads alone are worth going there for with their unusual combinations (e.g., Asian Pear, Pomegranate & Kumquat). Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this place as always.WastingfoodisasinVIPDined on 6/1/2013I love this place as always. Summer has come. Great for dining on the rooftop loft.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Came here on Mother's DayTaraEatsDined on 5/12/2013Came here on Mother's Day for the first time and we all really enjoyed ourselves. The food was delicious and the waiter was super helpful and attentive. If I lived closer I would definitely be back more often.Special Features:
- Don't know about the restOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/4/2013Don't know about the rest of the food but i ordered the salmon crusted lemon and it was horrible, worst salmon I've ever had. everything about it was horrible, the drink were not the greatest either... I ordered a queen bee and a rhuby martini i barely drank them. Def wouldn't go back. However our waitress was very pleasant and the decor of the place was very nice, had a dim romantic setting. too bad the food was not the best.Special Features:
- Why go to Grove Park?OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/2/2013If you are looking for an interesting night out, venture to Skinner's Loft, which is just a short walk from the Grove Park PATH station. Our recent Thursday night was outstanding. Our Open Table reservation gained us a second floor window table which was quiet, and even romantic. Our waitress was prompt, helpful, and best of all, attentive but not obtrusive. The dinner menu listed many delicious sounding entrees, but we settled on a number of imaginative appetizers and small plates, which were all done very well. This turned out to be a great choice. Skinner's also has a wonderful cocktail, beer, and wine selection, so it's the complete package. Skinner's Loft is definitely a destination if you are looking for a memorable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nice foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/27/2013cool ambiance and great food. our waiter was a bit overwhelmed it seemed, but not crazy bad just a bit slower than i would likeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I went here for my birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/20/2013I went here for my birthday with three other friends. We were impressed from the beginning. The decor and atmosphere was great and we all talked about coming back again soon! Food was amazing and the service was fantastic! Great place!Special Features:
- always consistent and delicious.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/18/2013always consistent and delicious. Wonderful atmosphere. Can't wait for the rooftop to open.Special Features:
- Skinners Loft has become oneMimiVIPDined on 4/6/2013Skinners Loft has become one of our favorites for girlfriends who live in the surrounding area.....it is in the middle for most of us. However, the music in the upstairs dining rooms IS MUCH TOO LOUD for a small space. I understand there is a bar area downstairs, but when people come in to dine (at prices that are not extremely high, but are not cheap either) then they should be able to hear each other speak. We were disappointed since we like to come to Skinner Loft, but may need to choose a more conducive spot for conversation.Special Features:
- Cool place....great food....friendlOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/21/2013Cool place....great food....friendly and welcoming staff.The rosemary bread was delicious and the menu was the perfect size.Special Features:
- Used OpenTable to make a reservatioOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/24/2013Used OpenTable to make a reservation. When we arrived upstairs were finally seated, we were surprised to have the best table in the house: right in front of the lit fireplace, the only table for 2 in front of the large windows overlooking Newark Avenue. Ambiance was outstanding. Rustic, fancy, and romantic all at once. Had 2 delicious cocktails called the "Sixth Borough" which takes a poke at Jersey City's old boast of being so. I ordered the NY Strip Steak. Medium. It was average, but what I would expect from a pub/restaurant that doesn't necessarily specialize in steak-fare exclusively. UNfortunately, service was just alright. The older waitress was obviously having a bad night, but got our food quickly.Special Features:
- Nice, relaxed atmosphere.MichaelDined on 2/10/2013Nice, relaxed atmosphere. Service was timely, but not rushed. The food was really tasty and reasonably priced. Would recommend.Special Features:
- I found the Skinners LoftOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/9/2013I found the Skinners Loft on Trip Advisor as we were staying in Jersey City and wanted to eat locally. The atmosphere was fabulous with great jaz style music in the background giving the place a lively ambiance.Food was lovely and plentiful and the staff were very friendly. Would recommend and return! Was there for my Birthday and the waitress brought out a lovely celebration candle with sparklers - what a nice touch on our first visit.Special Features:
- Great local spotOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/31/2012Excellent place in downtown Jersey City. The food is consistently good, it's never too busy to get in and they have a great drink menu.Special Features:
- We had brunch this weekendOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/22/2012We had brunch this weekend and the food is always good there. We went with our 9 month old and another couple with their baby and they were good enough to seat us on the 1st floor. We enjoy the atmosphere and good for kids.Special Features:
- A First Date!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/4/2012My experience at Skinner's Loft was well rounded, good service, knowledgable staff and very friendly. I had one hiccup during my adventure there but I will not let it define them. I like this place, and will return to give it another go.Special Features:
- Great, central location inLuvEatingVIPDined on 11/26/2012Great, central location in Jersey City. Second floor dining room is comfortable, service is good and food is well prepared with an interesting menu. Great place to meet friends.Special Features:
- Great For BrunchGaryMVIPDined on 11/17/2012My wife and I love going to Skinner's Loft for Brunch. The food is always high quality and the staff are friendly and attentive. It can get busy from time to time which detracts from both of those aspects, but that's what happens at popular places. The craft beers are incredible and I love the fact there there's a pub downstairs and a proper restaurant upstairs. Allows you to decide what you're in the mood for and both are equally well done and enjoyable. Try the "shoestring fries" which I prefer to call "pomme frites." They're super thin and melt in your mouth, literally.Special Features:
- Love this place the food getsLisaVIPDined on 11/15/2012Love this place the food gets better and better everytime I go!Special Features:
- A neighborhood establishmentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/9/2012Skinner's Loft is a neighborhood locals' favorite, owned and run by a proprietor known for creating restaurants with comfortable settings, good food and consistent service. When you go out to a place run by Maggie (the owner) you know what you're going to get. Skinner's Loft is a good choice for both special occasions, and those times when you want a safe choice that you know is going to be good. Along with the Lighthorse Tavern and a few others, it's one of downtown Jersey City's "rocks."Special Features:
- Beautiful restaurant but theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/19/2012Beautiful restaurant but the food does not meet expectations and is not to the quality one would expect for the prices
- Going to "historic" jerseyMarianoDined on 10/19/2012Going to "historic" jersey city is always an eye-opener, even for my wife who was born there. We chose Skinners on the recommendation of one of our friends, and who was part of this group. Everyone was very satisfied with their choice, in fact several days later my wife was still praising her fish choice. I admired the liquor, wine and beer menu which had some unique and hard to find choices. The service was discreet and attentive. If they keep up this standard I would have no qualms recommending them to anyone and will certainly return.Special Features: