409 Mendocino Ave.
Santa Rosa, CA 95401Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sizzlingtandoor.com/
- Phone: 7075795999
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30 AM - 2:00 PM.
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM, Friday - Saturday: 5:00 PM - 9:30 PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Vinay "Curry DOC" Patel
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Please call restaurant for details.
- Private Party Contact: Vinay 7077585889
- Entertainment: Belly Dancing/Classical Indian Live Music.
A word from Sizzling Tandoor
For almost quarter of a century as the premier gourmet Indian food restaurant in the Sonoma Valley Wine Country, Sizzling Tandoor has created culinary delights for many locals and tourists. Customers return time and again to enjoy our traditional Tandoori chicken, curries, samosas and nan, while exploring our more exotic cuisine from North and South India and our Indo-Chinese fusion cuisine in a relaxing and uplifting ambiance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sizzling Tandoor reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great Indian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/24/2012This is a very good Indian Restaurant. We went on a Friday evening and there were very few tables occupied. The food was excellent. My husband had the Lamb Roti Kabab and I had the Chicken Tikka Marsala. We upgraded the Nan to the garlic basil nan for only 70 cents more....well worth it! We added a small bowl of rice and with the included salad, we had more food than we could eat. The lamb dish was the best we had ever had. I can't recommend it enough. On the weekends, there is belly dancing. The belly dancer was very good. I would have preferred a little Bollywood dancing but,when the dancer was not on, they played Bollywood videos in the bar area. My only criticism is that the decor could use a little updating.Special Features:
- We arrived late for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/8/2012We arrived late for lunch so we decided on the buffet.Everything was brilliantly seasoned and fresh.Can't wait to go back for dinner.Even though they closed while we were still there they kept saying "no rush",and were very gracious.Special Features:
- The place was really niceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/7/2012The place was really nice the ambiance was relaxing and the food was great I lOve their chai tea! Bottomless was awesome! ;) overall it was good for family dining! Group of friends or couple! They had live music when we went me and my bf I think it was romantic and yet relaxing as well... For sure coming back again!Special Features:
- Great Indian food.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/10/2012Really outstanding Indian food. And, their wine special - buy two glasses and get the whole bottle is hard to beat.Special Features:
- Delicious Vegan Choices!AntidivaVIPDined on 4/23/2012Sizzling Tandoor has some of my favorite vegan food in town. I often find myself craving the Bhindi Masala, and they make great samosas and daal!Special Features:
- It was very busy and the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/12/2012It was very busy and the service was just okay. I was seated by a busboy that didn't seem to understand a word I said. It seemed as though they rushed me in and out.Special Features:
- Fun atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/30/2012They had a beautiful belly-dancer that made the dinner even more enjoyable!
- As an indecisive vegetarian,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/27/2012As an indecisive vegetarian, I really should've looked at the menu and decided online first, there were so many amazing options!Special Features:
- Staff was friendly and helpful,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/15/2012Staff was friendly and helpful, and their suggestions on the level of seasoning was a definite plus. Excellent variety of foods, and I would plan to return to sample more. Portions generous and there took some home. My vegan son was also pleased with the menu
- YUM!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/6/2012Delicious food & good happy hour prices! And who can beat "buy two glasses of wine & the bottle is yours"?!?!Special Features:
- Jon WinterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012Food is always good with me always wondering how many spices were used in each dish.Special Features:
- Nice but SaltyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/11/2012Had to wait about 15 minutes to be seated...not that they didn't have any open tables, they just asked us to wait and then ignored us...no host, just wait staff seating people when they can. When several other groups walked in, we had to remind them we had been waiting. They were all very pleasant, our server was very nice and we had good attention once we were seated. The sauce on my dish was WAY too Salty...and one of the sauces for the appetizers (which were very good) had absolutely NO flavor-literally NO flavor! The chai was great and they have an endless cup if you get it hot...like coffee. There was a belly dancer which added to the experience. If they get a host and don't drop the salt shaker into the sauce they'd be good to go!!Special Features:
- An Indian buffet althoughOTfanaticVIPDined on 2/6/2012An Indian buffet although the full menu was also available. Like most buffets, some items do well despite the "sitting" time but others lose their pizazz. Soup was excellent, tandoori chicken, very good.
- Great place for excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 1/31/2012Great place for excellent Indian food in Santa Rosa.Special Features:
- My daughters and I waitedEleLVIPDined on 1/27/2012My daughters and I waited more than half an hour before our order was taken, asked our waitress twice for water, but we did not get it until we asked our much-more-responsive bus person. The other wait staff seemed much better, but our waitress was the most inattentive I've had in ages. The food was good--particularly the vegetable korma. My daughters (3 and 6) loved the naan, rice and korma.
- Ambiance/ Seating was awful.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/27/2012Ambiance/ Seating was awful. Tiny place suited more for lunch. Food was average at best, and they add automatic gratuity on the bill; watchout, as they still ask for further tip on receipt. As the Patron I feel I should be able to decide what the tip is, if any. We have had far better Indian Cuisine for 1/3 the cost.Kudos to the Belly-Dancing; my wife does that as well,and she and I enjoyed the entertainment.
- I am vegan and my friend isOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/19/2012I am vegan and my friend is not, and the lunch buffet was great for both of us. We would definitely come back.Special Features:
- I was very disappointed withOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/30/2011I was very disappointed with not only the service but with the food pricing for what is served. Tiny portions of (not the best) Indian food for a high price. We order Naan bread and were charged for it but with our meals came another set. The waiter didn't bother to tell us that Naan would be served with the meal and ask if we wanted it early, he just wanted to up his bill. We received some tea that we didn't like and they brought a new one but charged for both the first one and the new drink. The food was OK at best. We have eaten at many Indian restaurants in both the San Francisco and Peninsula area and this restaurant's food doesn't even come close. The total bill, without tip, for a party of 4 was over $117.00 without any wine.
- I believe we had the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/13/2011I believe we had the best possible weekday business lunch experience here. They were very smart to use Open Table. I was one hundred miles away, I needed an Indian restarant in Downtown Santa Rosa, and they were the only one listed on Open Table. Afterwards, we drove past another such restaurant just one block away, and they are obviously not so smart in there. Thanks again to both Open Table and Sizzling Tandoor for making life a whole lot easier for just a regular working guy.Special Features:
- It's a lovely spot. We hadOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/28/2011It's a lovely spot. We had eaten here before, when it first opened and found it fabulous then. This time, the tandoori chicken servings were very small, the salad was dry chopped romaine with no dressing. Considering the $25 discount (for which we had paid $12), it seemed expensive (net cost to us was $72 for three people).
- A great restaurant and wonderfulTheColonelVIPDined on 11/19/2011A great restaurant and wonderful buffet. Wish they were open until 2:30pm for lunchSpecial Features:
- Ordered Lamb which was overcookedJen49erFanVIPDined on 11/11/2011Ordered Lamb which was overcooked and very chewy. The service was good, although the host sat us without giving us menus. The belly dancer was 40 minutes late. I would not recommend this restaurant.
- Great service and fast! WeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/5/2011Great service and fast! We had a show to get to and they brought our food out right away! The belly dancing show was a nice surprise too!Special Features:
- Dancers and wine, I love this placemaxxrattDined on 11/5/2011I hadn't been here in many years (10+) due to cosistant bad service. We decided to give it a shot and I am so glad I did. The service was very good. The food was excellent. A wine list? Yep, and it pairs up well with the food. Overall we had a great time and will be back soon. The dancers on the weekends are a great touch.Special Features:
- Wonderful food and the BellyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/22/2011Wonderful food and the Belly dancers were awesome!Special Features:
- THE SERVICE AND THE FOOD WEREOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/22/2011THE SERVICE AND THE FOOD WERE VERY GOOD. WE HAD A LARGE GROUP AND EVERYONE ENJOYED THEIR SELECTION. THE SHOW WAS VERY GOOD AS WELL. I WOULD RECOMMEND IT IF YOU LIKE TO TRY EXOTIC FOOD.Special Features:
- Excellent meal! The wine listOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/2/2011Excellent meal! The wine list is pricey, but the meal itself was generous, delicious, and a great deal. Check out their $20 menu, which comes with soup, a salad, an entree from a shortened list, rice, and your choice of naan.Special Features:
- We went for buffet lunch andTheColonelVIPDined on 9/2/2011We went for buffet lunch and we were completely blown away at the extreem high quality of ALL the food! This is not your typical , "it has been on the burners for hours, it is good but not as good as ordering off the menu kind of place. All the selections were of extreem high quality and freshly made. We loved this first experience so much we are making Sizzling Tandor a regular on our lunch places to eat.Special Features:
- We were in town for a conferenceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/20/2011We were in town for a conference & found this on Open Table. The reviews were pretty good & we are big fans of Indian food, so we decided to give it a shot, but were very disappointed. The place was busy, and possibly for this reason, the service was slow, inattentive, with mistakes here & there. In fact, when we arrived, we waited several minutes up front just to be greeted - there was no staff to be found. The food, perhaps, is the best available in the area (which may explain the good reviews), but having had ample experience w/ Indian cuisine, we found this to be less than average: either flavorless, or unevenly spiced with one in particular overpowering the rest. The best part was the talent & look of the belly dancers. Not recommendedSpecial Features:
- Super good indian food, especiallyTheColonelVIPDined on 8/16/2011Super good indian food, especially nice lunch buffet. parking lot is next door on the side so dont worry if you dont see any street parking at first.Special Features:
- My favorite Indian restaurant!AntidivaVIPDined on 8/1/2011This is my favorite Indian restaurant in Sonoma Valley! This time we had Bhindi Masala (sooo good!), Daal Bukhara and vegetable samosas. Not only do they have a lot of great vegan options, which is important to me, but the flavors are consistently wonderful, and the portions are generous, so I always have delicious leftovers for lunch the next day. I love the fact that I can order off the full menu anytime of day, and I also greatly appreciate the discount specials offered through a variety of sources. Honestly, as much as I love this place, I couldn't afford to visit if it wasn't for the special deals they offer. So, thank you, and I look forward to my next feast!Special Features:
- Too much salt until I broughtAstrologueDined on 7/30/2011Too much salt until I brought this to the attention of the waitress. Lamb Saag the BEST--including my own--I ever had after the salt was reduced: my hobby is cooking Indian food in which I make my own Masalas! Dance music, unfortunately, too loud. Dancer very good!Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/10/2011Great food and loved the buy-2-glasses-get-the-bottle deal on the wine.Special Features:
- For a 4th of July, the placePickyDinerDined on 7/2/2011For a 4th of July, the place was fairly empty, though hotels around were full. Yet, there were 2 shows of belly-dancers who, as far as I am concerned, "disrupted" the evening. I was looking for a nice quiet place, it ended up not being so relaxing. The chicken tikka masala was good, but the mixed vegetable dish was so-so.
- I have been comming her forOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/24/2011I have been comming her for years now. But it seems the service has gone down a bit. Love the food, excellent as always. I am absolutely in love with their Sahi Korma and dal bakhara..soo yummy. Anyways, nothing wrong with the food, but the service could be better, the only thing they did right was my water glass was never empty. But they just didn't have the friendliest demeanor, and they over charged for some dishes as well, not the price the menu had! so be aware of your bill, i didn't notice until it was too late, it was a big party so i didn't have time to check it at the table like i usually do.Special Features:
- The food was awesome. If youOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/12/2011The food was awesome. If you like Indian food, definitely check this out. They had several options we haven't tried before. Everyone was happy with their food. The service was a little slow and seemed somewhat confused by us.Special Features:
- Went there with a group ofJohnHVIPDined on 4/18/2011Went there with a group of people. Had a fun time! The good was good and the staff was very accommodating.Special Features:
- My criticizm is that whenOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/15/2011My criticizm is that when the dancing stopped there was no background music. Also, it is a rather unnatractive large room which could do with being divided into smaller areas perhaps with drapes or partitions. Obviously the food is superb, and the wine generous in that if you order a 2nd glass the bottle is yours. But the ambience lets this resaturant down. We will return, and hope to see some of these ideas put into practice.Special Features:
- Food was great! There wereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/9/2011Food was great! There were 7 of us for dinner and we all enjoyed our meal and the service was great!! Only thing I couldn't understand was having the TV on during dinner(music videos with scantily clad women). It was very distracting and inappropriate for the venue (I felt like I should have been sitting in a bar rather than seated in a dining room). If I ate dinner there again, I would be sure to sit on the other side of the dining room.
- The food is great. They havespiritglitterDined on 4/8/2011The food is great. They have a huge menu and a great deal on wine. They had belly dancers, music, and fun. This is not the place for a quiet, Friday night date. It's loud, busy, and cultural. Our experience was great. I do recommend calling to confirm open table reservations though. The owner did not have us on the reservation list. However, when I told him I made it on open table, he checked it and sat us right away. Overall...a fun, delicious, and entertaining evening.