Sixth Engine Restaurant
438 Massachusetts Ave NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Sixth Engine Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sixthengine.com/
- Phone: 2025062455
- Hours of Operation:
Open for dinner nightly from 4:30-10:30 PM, late night menu available till midnight Friday & Saturday. Serving Brunch Saturday & Sundays from 11AM-5PM(Breakfast Items only till 3PM) .
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Paul Madrid
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Sixth Engine Restaurant
A contemporary American restaurant set in D.C.'s 1st firehouse, Sixth Engine uses classic techniques to produce comfort foods with a touch of refinement while providing polished service in a comfortable setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sixth Engine Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (34)great for outdoor dining (29)great for brunch (23)good for groups (16)fit for foodies (15)great for lunch (10)romantic (7)special occasion (7)kid-friendly (5)vibrant bar scene (5)scenic view (3)late-night find (3)notable wine list (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/21/2014Delicious food and great service. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JerryJerryDined on 9/20/2014Great service and great food. Steaks were awesome and desserts were delicious. Perfect evening.Special Features:
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2014Hush puppies and Mac and Cheese were must try's. Who knew a porkchop topped with applesauce would be so great?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciouslovegreatfoodDined on 9/13/2014I had the bistro steak and my friends ordered the lamb and the shrimp sandwich. All were exceptionally good. Our server was friendly and passionate about the food--and steered us in the exact right direction.Special Features:
- Serious Comfort FoodLuluVIPDined on 8/28/2014We are regulars, and always enjoy their serious comfort food--huge tender port chop, shrimp over grits are two examples. Nothing exotic, just good. And the upstairs setting, in an old firehouse, is gorgeous, with huge windows.This weekend they are featuring food from Maine--specifically an excellent lobster roll (large hunks of lobster with just a touch of mayo), with sides of sweet local corn on the cob and a good potato salad, as well as a superb blueberry pie (the tiny blueberries come from Maine). As former residents of Maine, we have longed for such food, and were not disappointed. There is also outside dining in front of the restaurant, under a string of lights, on Massachuetts Avenue, clearly beloved by millenials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LkjhDined on 8/23/2014Undercooked food, meat and veggies sausages and Brussels sprouts rawSpecial Features:
- Brunching ItSalledeMangeDined on 8/17/2014The menu is short but not lacking for variety. Egg dishes are clean and flavorful. Breakfast meats are tasty. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Great food & service, historicMOMwithTEENSDined on 8/16/2014My husband and our teenage sons dined at 6th Engine to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Waiter, Ben, was warm and helpful without being intrusive. At our request, he gave us some history of the building and it's unique features -- sons enjoyed this too. The food was yummy, including complimentary home-made potato chips, appetizer of amazing hush puppies, great burgers. I had the catfish sandwich which was savory and crispy. Sons each ordered a dessert (forget name) that was a large log of rice-crispies and peanut butter covered in chocolate -- must have been good because the inhaled them. We had informed Ben that we were there to celebrate an anniversary, so he surprised us with a complimentary chocolate caramel cake for dessert!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great servicejonerthonDined on 8/16/2014Service is usually quite good but Katie B was extra helpful and kept the mimosas full.Special Features:
- First time's a charmDrawPastTenseVIPDined on 8/9/2014The outside patio caught my eye while driving by a few times so finally decided to try it out. My other half loved their cosmo and gave it 5 stars (he has a food blog, http://friesandcosmos.wordpress.com/). Our server (Kate I think?) was outstanding and our food tasted as good as it looked... and it looked beautiful. Well done 6th Engine!Special Features:
- Excellent brunchmswope88Dined on 8/9/2014Went here with a friend for Saturday brunch. The service was excellent and speedy, the "brunch punch" was delicious, and they had a wide range of brunch entree options (we both loved ours, and the portions are very generous). I also loved the atmosphere of the old restored fire hall - I would definitely recommend Sixth Engine and will be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good TimeThenevDined on 8/4/2014I saw a segment on the Cooking Channel for G. Garvin's Road Trip where he highlighted Sixth Engine as one of the DC restaurants. I had never heard of this place, and it looked like a cool, hip, little spot. Especially after its rebirth from an old DC Fire Station that I use to pass by on my way to work many years ago. I was right on the mark! Took my best friend there with a group of the fellas for his 51st birthday, and we had a great time. Service as a bit slow to start, but they caught up. Had some great unique drinks and beers and the food was excellent! The pork chop entree is a must try! ~ Thanks to the manager for the special birthday desserts for out table. The apple doughnut balls sent us over the moon! A must try restaurant...Special Features:
- Mass Ave LocalMikeVIPDined on 8/2/2014Great food, reasonably priced. Duck pastrami was awesome so was the roast chicken specialSpecial Features:
- too much saltaaaaDined on 7/28/2014Took family from out of town there, since they had a pretty basic menu that their kids would eat. Everything tasted like salt was dumped all over it. the DC rolls were flavorless except for the salt, the burgers were over cooked, the catfish sandwich was all salt and no fish.Special Features:
- consistently goodrudyDined on 7/24/2014i've been coming here on occasion for several years, and have never been disappointed. fantastic food, and amazing cocktails.Special Features:
- Perfect Brunch Spot!CupcakeQueenDined on 7/20/2014Enjoyed a wonderful Sunday brunch here with a small group. Our server was sweet and attentive, and the mimosas were perfect! I also recommend the apple fritters and hush puppies :-)Special Features:
- Saturday group dinnerwendfishVIPDined on 7/19/2014My friends & I went before a Fringe Festival show. I didn't realize there was outdoor seating, so was disappointed that we were put all the way in the back corner of the restaurant on a nice night. Sort of my fault, but would have preferred to be closer to the front - it wasn't busy inside at all at 8pm on a Sat night. Our server was very nice and accommodating! I enjoyed the Shiraz blend, and the catfish was a very nice surprise - not at all salty, lightly breaded (not fried), atop fresh veggies. My friends all liked their dishes, except the Safe Way salad was more like coleslaw than the description. Liked the touch of the homemade chips before the meal, too. Good place for a quick dinner, though sit outside!Special Features:
- Great as AlwaysYLeeCoyoteVIPDined on 7/19/2014The service and food is always amazing a Sixth Engine. Coffee and water came out quickly so what more could you ask for on a Sunday Morning. I had the daily omelet special. Just the right amount of mushrooms to give the meaty flavor I wanted yet let the spinach and mozzarella shineSpecial Features:
- Great indoor and outdoor vibeUrbanHippyDined on 7/17/2014Awesome place for drinks and an appetizer. The food tends to fall a bit on the heavy side, but what do you expect from a restaurant in an old fire-house?Special Features:
- Decent FindTrevbowVIPDined on 7/11/2014Good food and service, not pretentious and a relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:
- Thank you!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014I went here with my boyfriend for his 30th birthday and it was fantastic! The service was excellent! I was very impressed when they brought out a dessert for him. It made the night very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedKameleonVIPDined on 7/4/2014Fell upon this restaurant by chance. Diverse food options with a pleasant wait staff! A must do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sixth Engine was full of character4nichsDined on 7/1/2014My 14 year old son and I loved the setting. Set in DC's first fire station it is 'Super Cool'. The food was delicious. They bring you chips and dip to snack on and it was so good! My son had a 14 oz steak and I had a burger. It was great food. We loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inconsistent.DinnertimeVIPDined on 6/29/2014I've eaten here 4 times now, I'll come back but only for drinks from now on. The food is good, not great, but good. Brunch options like ham/egg/cheese on a pretzel bun and the eggs benedict were solid. The hushpuppies are okay, dry (2nd try). The wings are never good (3rd try). The potatoes they served on the side on 29 June were atrocious, par-boiled chopped gray potatoes, lukewarm no seasoning, came with all meals, the chef should be embarrassed. Service on my previous 3 occasions was excellent, but Sunday was absolutely non-existent. Our server was one of the worst I've experienced in a long time (slow, errors, had to be asked to clear plates, take orders, silverware, etc). An engaged floor manager would have helped out.
- Completely IgnoredAfinkle1Dined on 6/18/2014Came for a birthday, but after fifteen minutes of being completely ignored without so much as water we left. Staff did not care when we told them why. We have been loyal for two years, never had a problem before. Never going back.
- ExcellentTheCogDined on 6/15/2014Food, service, and atmosphere were excellent. The food is obviously prepared by a skilled chef, and everything our group ordered was perfectly unique and delicious.Special Features:
- great place!lilzimmDined on 6/14/2014Great service. Great outdoor seating for brunch. Great food! Overall, I had a fantastic brunch experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/6/2014I went to Sixth Engine for a date night. I wanted to treat my significant other to a nice restaurant with great cocktails... That is exactly what Sixth Engine was. I was able to snag a last minute reservation AND get to sit on the patio on a beautiful Friday Afternoon! The service was great. He talked to us about the menu and drinks, since it was our first visit, and also brought a lightness to the table. He also didn't hover and was there to fill our drinks just as they were emptying. The patio was great! Right on Mass Ave, but really not that loud. I highly recommend. I will be returning to Sixth Engine.Special Features:
- The following 217 reviews are from the Sixth Engine Restaurant reviews archive.
- Place Was Empty - Food was OKDistrictFoodieVIPDined on 5/17/2014We went here expecting great food, left pretty disappointed. Burgers were not very good. Beer selection was nothing to write home about. Overall, would not go back.Special Features:
- Nicest Staff in DCBrunchBabesDined on 5/17/2014The staff here are SO friendly, and not in that fake nice "we work for tips" way. From the hostess to the bartneder to the server everyone was super chill, very accommodating unpretentious, just genuinely nice people. That alone made me want to come back.While waiting for our table the bartender started us on our bottomless mimosas even though we weren't going to be sitting at the bar. The ambiance is awesome, even though we sat outside I would've been just as happy inside in the cool old firehouse. The food was really really good, so many interesting choices I had a hard time chooosing. My only one issue was the egg whites were a little underdone on my benedict, but it did not deter my great time at the restaurant!Special Features:
- Great place to grab a burgerwaltVIPDined on 5/15/2014If you live in this 'hood, you're very lucky to have this place nearby. It's not a place I'd recommend to anyone who doesn't already live a few blocks from it since there's nothing remarkable about it that would make it worth a long trip. However, the food is good and if you like beer they seem to have quite a bit of it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good BrunchAntonioRVIPDined on 5/11/2014Came here for brunch on a sunny, sunday afternoon. Very thankful for the restaurant reserving a table outside when I requested one during my reservation. Not every restaurant does that and I'm grateful for it. Brunch was good, the fritters were amazing! Got the toastado which was fine. We had the bottomless mimosa option though the mimosa's didn't seem that strong. Was a leisurely brunch but we weren't rushed and the waitress was attentive. Only wish they had umbrellas as the sun was a little strong at time. The portions were a good size and all my dining companions enjoyed their food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014We took Mom for Mother's Day, right at opening, 11 am on a Sunday. Really enjoyed it. Had the tostada, the beef hash and the No 6 Breakfast. All were excellent. We sat outside in brilliant sun (they will need umbrellas soon as summer sets in). The tables were far enough apart that the family with kids next to us was not at all a factor. General ambiance was upscale casual (genuine linens and plates and so on). Inside, the tables looked nice too, and the bathroom was spotless and well appointed. Our waitress was attentive - refills of the water bottle and occasional checks on us - without hurrying us along.Special Features:
- Good PickOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/30/2014Nice atmosphere for an evening out and drinks with friends. The wait staff is really professional and attentive to the customer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal, great serviceChairmanMeeowVIPDined on 4/26/2014My wife, daughter, and I had a delicious meal at Sixth Engine on a recent trip to DC (from NY). The location is convenient, great outdoor and indoor space, and the staff was friendly and very helpful. We requested a lot of information to deal with a gluten allergy -- no problems from the waiter or the kitchen in getting info and working around it. All was great - I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Dining Out for Life MealAntonioRVIPDined on 4/24/2014Decided to come here for Dining Out for Life since they were one of the only restaurants in the area participating. Had the burger, salad, and cauliflower. The cauliflower side was huge and good (covered in cheese). The burger was very good and my friend loved his catfish sandwich. The complementary chips and dip is always a good way to start the meal. My old-fashioned was in a nice size glass and delicious.Special Features:
- Tons of character and great foodJamesDined on 4/24/2014The outdoor seating was a little packed. It looked nice though. It unfortunately is on Mass Ave. which can get a little loud and be distracting. The inside dining space is a world apart and very nicely done. Small dining room, but ample space for each diner. The building is a converted fire house. So the main dining room looks out on Mass Ave through floor to ceiling, wall to wall windows. The food was really good. We had the oxtail Barbacoa nachos which were delicious. A perfect combo of fresh pico, cheese sauce and meat. There was also no rush between courses. I had an Old Fashioned which, while hard to get wrong, was very good. We had the filet and the burger. Both were cooked perfect to our requests. A bit high on price, but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time & I'd come back...DaisyDined on 4/22/2014a few of us met after work, it was a convenient location and we all liked the idea of an old firehouse. The burger was AWESOME, very very delicious, and the onion rings are the size of your fist. Impressive. Others had cod and other items, everyone was happy with their food, the service was excellent, and there was a decent wine list etc. All in all we would definitely come back, it's a casual place, great outdoor space and really yummy food!
- Worth a tryBFFsDined on 4/19/2014Visiting DC and decided to try Sixth Engine based on recommendation. Food is a bit eclectic and limited, but very good. Tried the Filet, Pork Panini, Mushroom Pasta...all were very good. Son had cheesecaske for dessert. Outstanding! Waitress was nice and competent, just not all that friendly. Seemed to be put off by any questions.Special Features:
- Good for Brunch but...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014In terms of the bottomless mimosa portion of the meal, our group had 2 complaints: 1. The orange juice used in the mimosa was EXTREMELY pulpy. It was almost overwhelming. They should consider going with a less pulpy OJ option. 2. The service on refilling mimosas was a little slow. The food was very good though.Special Features: