401 N. Wabash
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://sixteenchicago.com/
- Phone: 3125888030x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Sunday: 6:30am - 11:00am; Sunday Brunch: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm, Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Thomas Lents
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Lounge/Bar on 2nd floor (Re-Bar)
- Special Events: Sixteen offers two semi-private dining rooms with unparalleled views of the Chicago skyline. Plan your semi-private dining experience in Sixteen by contacting Ariel Lickton at 312.588.8114 or email@example.com.
A word from Sixteen
Located on the 16th floor of Trump International Hotel & Tower, the signature Michelin-rated Sixteen offers panoramic views of the Chicago skyline. Diners will delight in Chef Lents’ innovative dinner menus that showcase the highest quality ingredients in the world. Since his appointment, Chef Lents has introduced exciting new programming at Sixteen and features a thoughtful approach to modern American cuisine. Chef Lents brings more than two decades of experience, most recently as the chef de cuisine of the three Michelin star-rated Joel Robuchon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Sixteen reviews from OpenTable diners
145 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelQuiet
scenic view (108)special occasion (99)fit for foodies (84)romantic (77)notable wine list (54)great for outdoor dining (20)hot spot (18)great for lunch (17)great for brunch (15)neighborhood gem (12)vibrant bar scene (11)good for groups (8)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- SuperbShellyVIPDined on 9/13/2014One of my 5 favorites in Chicago with a few that cannot be beat. Wait staff fantastic.Special Features:
- Deserving of two starsBobkatDined on 9/12/2014The whole experience was outstanding. Starting with a cocktail with a terrific mixologist named Derek who was a fount of information, continuing with a terrific attitude by the management when a table adjustment was requested and ending with a spectacular meal served by a highly capable but not stuffy staff. I particular want to shout out about Johnny and Ramon, who made the whole dinner more enjoyable and relaxed.Special Features:
- fun timefoodieVIPDined on 9/11/2014This was the most fun just eating great food. The service was wonderful and the presentation of food was unique. I would recomend this to anyone who wants great food and an entertaining evening.Special Features:
- LWFELWFEDined on 9/1/2014The evening was excellent. Great wine and martini. The staff was superb….excellent attention to details and great presentation. The food was excellent and well proportioned. The Chef had a theme to the dining experience. The menu needs more Gluten Free offerings. Great view of the Chicago river and downtown area. This is a restaurant we look forward to eating at again the next time we are in Chicago. I tip my hat Mr. Trump and his staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SixteenReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014My wife and I decided to go "big" and do the summer menu plus the ultimate wine pairings. Unfortunately their idea of "good" wines are those made by small vineyards or 40 year old bottles. Most of the wines were not that good when compared with "great" wines that we have had during other chef tastings and it felt like it was not worth the money ($1500 for wine alone). There appeared to be much more white and sweet wines than dry reds. The meal was about 10 courses which meant you were shoving food and wine in as fast as possible because the wait staff was hovering waiting to take the plate away as soon as the food left the plate. A few times they tried to grab our plates prior to us being done which was kind of annoying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special enchanted evening dinnerBosleyDined on 8/30/2014This special dining experience made me feel like a princess in an enchanted evening. Our view was the 16th floor overlooking a large clock on the Wrigley Building among the skyline buildings. I kept thinking I was near a castle at DisneyWorld. The menu was so creative that it was worthy of a picture to keep for a memory. We had the 9 course chef tasting menu that was very costly but each dish was an amazing creation. This restaurant is for a very special occasion that will be one of your most costly bills but it will be one of your most special evenings to savor. The menu changes with the seasons so it will be fresh the next time you visit. Service was perfect and attentive. It had everything that a Trump experience had to offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has Become a Bit PretentiousOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/28/2014This was the second time that my wife and I have dined at Sixteen. We did not enjoy it as well as we did the first time. This is due to the restaurant taking on quite a pretentious air recently. The attempt to put dining at Sixteen at the outer edge of dining experiences is too overdone and not worth the cost. The food itself is quite tasty but, we felt, not worth the effort. Also, the service, while attentive, was not as warm as we previously experienced. We will probably not return.Special Features:
- EmpressEmpressVIPDined on 8/28/2014Absolutely Fabulous! Amazing food, the view is spectacular! Our waitress, Diana was a true gem. She was not only filled with information, she was charming and friendly. She was our personal sommelier and tour guide. We had a leisurely lunch. We made a random choice and we're pleased with our choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but priceynothanksDined on 8/24/2014This is a nice restaurant but I felt it was way overpriced. I probably won't go back.Special Features:
- Perfect food let down by noiseKuhooonaDined on 8/24/2014The food was exquisite and the menu was exciting and fresh. The service was first class. The only gripe we had was that the hotel bar adjoined has thumping dance music which sadly let the experience down. For 500 dollars (for 2 people), we would expect the sound to be calm and in keeping with beautiful food and great service. We did query the noise but were told that it was common and that it was either outside or upstairs. We expected our waiter to look into this but it very clearly wasn't an option. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection DefinedBethVIPDined on 8/22/2014Sixteen deserves 3 Michelin stars. If you have dined here recently, you would not need any explanation. Service was impeccable. Staff were very professional yet warm. Chef Lents had beautiful presentation from all the amuse bouche to the desserts. Every course was delicious with balance flavors. Wine pairing was spot on. Tables were spaced enough us for privacy. It was an unforgettable birthday dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good atmosphere and good foodRichVIPDined on 8/22/2014The way the menu was dustributed was very hokie and I never expected such a circus presentation from a restaurant with the reputation thst 16 has. 4 hours for a dinner is absurd. While the ambiance and views are very nice the circus menu and EXTREMLY SLOW service would give me reason to never return. There are many fine quality restaurants in the city where I can have a spectacular dinner and not to wonder if I need to do a sleep over in order to finish dinner.Special Features:
- Food great, but everything else....foodfinderVIPDined on 8/19/2014No complaints about the food, but room too loud! Party room too close & groups can actually be heard yelling. Not cool for this type of dining experience. Waiter didn't mention that they charge $12 for water, even when you request regular water. No price on menu...... Staff really needs to take it up a notch. Food servers, did a nice job, though. Won't rush back, especially if you want a romantic or special dinner.Special Features:
- Great brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2014We had brunch, and everything there was terrific. The scallops in particular were outstanding. It was pricey but worth it because of the quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent but not perfectPghMDDined on 8/14/2014The restaurant is beautiful and the view of the city is wonderful--not a bird's eye view but more like an oasis surrounded by attractive buildings. Everyone was nice and not stuffy, and attentive to one special need, but the pace of the meal seemed rushed. There wasn't much time to savor a course before the next arrived, and the pace made it impossible to enjoy the wine pairings that accompanied the courses--a lot went to waste. Most of the courses were interesting (occasionally amusing) and excellent, but a couple were a miss -- didn't enjoy the squab stuffed with crab, but the lardo/yellowtail and the leek/sweetbread/razorclam and dessert were spectacular. I'm happy to have gone, but it's not quite at the level it ought to be.Special Features:
- DisappointingRAMJETDined on 8/13/2014Cdrtainly not a Micheiln starred place, used flatware returned to the PLACEMAT.Special Features:
- EasterDined on 8/10/2014we always enjoy our time at the 16th, usually for a wedding anniversarySpecial Features:
- Overrateddown2earthgourmandDined on 8/8/2014I readily admit to snobbish tendencies. Checking out critically acclaimed restaurants in Chicago is a part of it. Two Michelin stars are not easy to come by. Naturally, we were intrigued. And as it has frequently happened in the past, it was an overall disappointment. The food preparation (9 course degustation) was ambitious, potentially interesting, but ultimately fairly flat with 3 exceptions or so. The wine pairings were decent, with some interesting, off the beaten path choices. Those did not particularly jibe with the food or enhance it. The room has a knock-out view of the Chicago skyline, which is the big winner for the place, and not much more. The service was friendly and knowledgeable, but not polished. A disappointment.Special Features:
- Fine but not the bestfelipeDined on 8/6/2014We ordered the summer menu. There was a lot of food, I think too much. The first course was called a snack which consisted of sandwiches, fried quail quarter (legs), quail eggs, skewers of something (I don't remember), potato chips with anchovies, and raspberry popsicles, and a drink (apple cider?). That was already enough to make one full. After that, we felt satiated and could not savor or enjoy the rest of the meal. And there were more than a dozen courses that followed. The staff and the ambiance were the saving grace.Special Features:
- Beautiful panoramic viewtheconsultantDined on 8/6/2014I dined at Sixteen for lunch on a Wednesday afternoon. It was 11:45am. It was pleasantly quiet with few other tables occupied by guests. At 12:30, the restaurant was buzzing. The view was beautiful and the food was fairly inventive, but I left feeling only moderately impressed. I found myself wishing more of the dishes had a bit more acidity. Otherwise, the food did taste wonderful and all portions were the perfect size for foodies. Even though the lunch menu didn't completely stun me, it was delicious enough to have me assuming that the dinner menu might. Next time I'm in town, I'll definitely try Sixteen for dinner. I'm positive the view out the floor to ceiling windows is breathtaking in the evening with all of the city lights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LUNCHBlondieDined on 8/4/2014My friends and I had lunch at 16. The Little Gem salad was very fresh and tasty as was the prime burger and all that went with it. The Hanger steak was made to perfection and so flavorful. The chocolate cognac cake was a great end to a wonderful experience. The service was without fault.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top class tasting menuOrthochowDined on 8/3/2014With a tasting menu that changes seasonally rather than daily, sixteen offers the opportunity for a few top class meals each year. The staff really get to know the menu/wine pairings and it makes the experience more robust. The execution was outstanding. Arguably, the best meal we've ever had including top spots on NYC and SF. Don't let the hotel address prevent you from going.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected a lot more from the foodHonestMeDined on 8/2/2014I expected it to be pretentious overpriced place for foodies, I didn't expect to not like the food at all. Out of 9 courses I liked one dish. I expected more from a place where you drop $700 per couple.Special Features:
- Enjoyable meal.brandcVIPDined on 8/2/2014We had the 12-course tasting menu which we enjoyed--all beautifully presented and well-balanced. The service was outstanding overall but we did find the dramatic intro a bit silly (rolling out of a map, acrylic pillars detailing the menu items). We enjoyed most of the wine pairings. While the view is lovely, the restaurant itself is rather stark and lacking personality--just a big, open space with all tables on view--perhaps this is so the skyline can take centre stage. Ramone and Fernando provided excellent service.Special Features:
- a tasting menu with tastegoodfoodfirstVIPDined on 7/31/2014wow, what an extraordinary meal we really had at Sixteen -- from delicious and playful "snacks" to melt-in-your-mouth Wagyu (the upgrade to the Japanese version is well worth it). We did not do the wine pairings, but selected bottles off the extensive and impressive list, and, with the assistance of Doug, were incredibly pleased. The only let down was dessert, which frankly was OK with me as I am not a big dessert fan and believe some restaurants just get carried away on that part of tasting menus. Ultimately, it was expensive, but worth it.Special Features:
- Unique culinary experienceOhioExplorerDined on 7/27/2014Unforgettable offerings, presentation and combinations. Delicious sensations. Superb in every way. Unexpected supplements were a delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceDujuanDined on 7/26/2014We came to Sixteen restaurant to celebrate our wedding anniversary. It was our first time here. It was quite an experience. It has great view of the Chicago river and downtown buildings. The service was great. The food tasted great, especially the ribeye and squab. The price was relatively high, good for special occasions.Special Features:
- Surprisingly Small PortionsWhit0525VIPDined on 7/22/2014We had a business lunch at Sixteen. Most of us had the green curry salmon for lunch. Although the dish was tasty, we were very surprised at how small the portions were. There are many other business lunch options in Chicago. We will not be returning to Sixteen.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/21/2014Brought my teens and all of us loved the food equally. The water land prefix was fun and outstanding. Pricey but excellent. Service amazing. We had a night to remember with our kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection even tho its a Trump BldJu1244Dined on 7/20/2014The food is so inventive, beautiful and well served you almost forget you are in a Trump property. Our Bill was $660 for 2, this included 1 wine pairing.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/20/2014Went there for breakfast only, so I can only critique that. Food was disappointing. My friend and I both ordered the crab omelet and we both agreed about the food. Egg was tough, overcooked and flavorless. The fried potatoes were soggy (Literally dripping with oil or butter) and way too salty for both of us. Our other friend ordered the truffle texas toast. No truffle whatsoever, not even truffle oil. It was supposed to have a poached egg on top and appeared to have a poached egg, but the yolk was hard boiled solid. My wife had the croque madame which she enjoyed. So 1 out of 4 meals were okay. The service was acceptable. Location and ambiance obviously great. Would like to try the dinner as it seems that is their primary focus.
- Amazing food, ok servicesrayDined on 7/18/2014Location- gorgeous. Great views of city, river, and the lake. Try to get there early for a drink on the terrace beforehand. Food- amazing. We did the full tasting menu with wine pairing. The food was delicious, well presented, and quite diverse. The wine pairings were also very well thought out, some different and surprising (in a good way) picks. Service- my only gripe. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad- just not what I would expect from a Michelin starred restaurant. Not on par with the service at Grace, L20, Moto, Tru, etc... Hurried at times, courses presented when one of us had stepped away, a little wine drippage, etc... Overall- very good, worth trying.Special Features:
- PhenomenalLuluDined on 7/11/2014What a great experience, our best experience in Chicago!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- elaborate and sophisticated foodawchiDined on 7/9/2014This is a place for a serious dining experience - 9 course tasting menu, which ends up being closer to 12. We had a lovely time and the food was delicious and artistically presented.Special Features:
- rickVIPDined on 7/6/2014First, the food is outstanding. The service, however is indifferent and uneven. We were there for brunch, which doesn't actually require much service (you serve yourself) and we struggled with being seated and ordering drinks. A five minute wait to be seated (with no host insight) and a further 10-minute wait to get our first drink order. Food made up for it, but service should be equal to the food. Drinks on the terrace afterward we're no better, being greeted by surly hostesses and having to wait for a table, with many open tables and bar seats available.
- Wow! Fabulous Sunday Brunch!DeboDined on 7/6/2014Everything was perfect...food...service...setting. Everything you would expect from a Trump property. I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting menu was awesome !ILCScottVIPDined on 6/30/2014We have not had dinner at Sixteen since they went exclusively to a tasting menu for dinner. Ordinarily, we go to Alinea or Tru for tastings. We have also dined at Moto (felt they tried to hard and was nothing spectacular) as well as French Laundry in Sonoma. Sixteen's offering was on par with all of these well known and highly acclaimed establishments ! Well done !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An entire evening of foodStarbuckerDined on 6/28/2014I was pleasantly surprised with the concept. All the staff was attentive. The food was good. The event made for a long evening but it was definitely worth it if you've never dined here before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sixteen Going on SeventeenDoubleHelixDined on 6/25/2014I try to get to Sixteen each time I return to Chicago. The cuisine remains extremely creative and the pairings work. I don't think it is necessary to spread the map on the table - it's cumbersome for the wait staff. It would work perfectly fine placing the heavy glass bits containing the menu. It would be better if the glass naming the item return to the table as the course was served. The picnic hamper is whimsical and the contents delicious and surprising. My favourite was the potato chip with the embedded smelt. The "dark" dessert likely was the weakest (the "light" or "day" dessert was perfectly good). Will I return for dinner? Yes but no more than annually. Right now, Chef Lenz is teetering between exquisite and over-the-top.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/24/2014My expectations were quite high for a 2-star Michelin restaurant, and for the most part I was quite happy with my dining experience. The food was definitely one of the best, and the presentation/concept was great. Service was generally good and friendly (though it did feel a bit contrived a couple of times). I would definitely recommend going here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.