Six Penn Kitchen
146 Sixth Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Six Penn Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sixpennkitchen.com/
- Phone: 4125667366
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch is served Monday-Friday 11:00am-2:30pm
Dinner is served Monday-Saturday 4:30pm-close
Brunch is served Sunday 10:30am-2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kevin Klingensmith
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Penn Avenue
- Public Transit: Many bus routes available, as well as a train running within one block of the restaurant.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Located in the heart of the Pittsburgh Cultural district, there are several public garages within walking distance. Validation is offered at the garage located on Penn Avenue, directly across from the restaurant.
A word from Six Penn Kitchen
Six Penn Kitchen features fresh, carefully crafted, all-American cuisine. The menu highlights seasonal ingredients and takes an updated approach to regional classics. From stocks, sauces & charcuterie techniques in the kitchen, to the vermouth soaked olives & marinated maraschino cherries at the bar, everything is expertly prepared and crafted in-house. Both the food & cocktail menu change frequently taking advantage of seasonal products delivered by outstanding local farms & growers' cooperatives. By paying attention to the basics- true hospitality, great food, and a casually sophisticated environment - Six Penn Kitchen is a place where guests can kick back, slow down & enjoy the pleasure of great food, drink and conversation. Six Penn Kitchen looks forward to welcoming you!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Six Penn Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Six Penn Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
218 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (91)special occasion (60)neighborhood gem (49)great for lunch (48)great for outdoor dining (46)great for brunch (45)good for groups (45)hot spot (28)romantic (22)vibrant bar scene (22)notable wine list (21)late-night find (20)scenic view (14)kid-friendly (11)Show More
- Normally good. Not this time.BradK72VIPDined on 9/14/2014I usually have a very good experience here and have been several times. This time was different. The eggs Benedict came out with one egg only half cooked, the other was perfect. Parts of it were very cold while other parts were fine. The other meal came out minus the toast and we were charged $2 more than the menu price. We also had to ask for water refills which just shouldn't happen. If this was my first visit, it would have most certainly been my last. I know they can do better and have in the past. I'll give them one more shot but if it's a repeat, it will be the last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/13/2014Wonderful dinner with excellent service. Git us out in time for a 7:00 performance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food! Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014We enjoyed the great food. I had the fish of the day (on the recommendation of our server) and my husband had the pork chop. Both were delicious. French press coffee and dessert were also very tasty. The meal was well-paced. Our server was friendly and very attentive. The only negative--the noise level-- much too high for a relaxing, pleasant experience. What a great choice, though, when attending a performance at Heinz Hall.Special Features:
- DisappointingTinaDined on 9/13/2014Starting off with being seated in the furthest room , last table in the corner and we made reservation for 5pm started off not good. We were moved but had to promise to be out by 6:30! Bad start.. Crab cakes were way "too moist".. Almost raw.. The bar has always been nice but won't be trying dinner again:(Special Features:
- Nice pre-game mealOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014Service was very good, and the cocktail that my partner had was done well. I ordered a $15 glass of french Pinot Noir which turned up tasting terrible. I mentioned this to the server and with argument at all, she changed it and came back with a new glass (presumably taken from a recently opened bottle) that was much better. We had the charcuterie which was very good, including a californian Goat cheese, which was amazing. We then shared the surf 'n turf, which was OK, but nothing special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly menuShayneDined on 9/12/2014My friend is vegetarian and gluten free and I'm a vegetarian and Six Penn was great accommodating our needs. Good was excellent and the chickpea cakes are too die for. Our service was excellent to. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/10/2014Think the food was great! However the server was very annoying, she would continue to interrupt the conversation with silly questions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/7/2014A wonderful brunch on the roof top during a gorgeous Pittsburgh Sunday!Special Features:
- BrunchMomandMeDined on 9/7/2014Enjoyed Brunch before the theatre...great choice. The food was great, staff wonderful and the walk to the theatre after was just a block. Even thought there was a Steeler game that afternoon, the staff moved the people along and was a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Six Penn has changedlebeukVIPDined on 9/7/2014Change can be a good thing, but unfortunately in the case of Six Penn, we don't like the menu change. We always go there before Steeler games for brunch, but Sunday we found the menu loaded with carbs. We used to love the frittata, quiche, fresh fruit, corned beef hash, etc. Sunday we found the menu leaded with waffles, pancakes, beignets, etc. Yes, they still have omelets, but there is not the variety if you are looking for something that is not sweet.Special Features:
- Great Date NightFoodie5Dined on 9/6/2014Went to Six Penn for my birthday dinner with my boyfriend and it was great! The shrimp and calamari starter is amazing, and was flying out of the kitchen to almost every table while we were there. The seafood risotto was also very good, although could have used a bit more on the pate than a large spoonful. All the other portions of the other meals seemed fairly large, except of the risotto. Overall, it was a great meal and I would go back again!Special Features:
- disappointing for the $$$OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/5/2014Scallop app very good. Caprese app good. Crabcakes - Not Good - pasty, pureed, tasteless. Didn't even eat half of one. Bulgar wheat side had more flavor. Large pork chop - over-brined and translucent through a large part of it (not medium-rare though server insisted that's the way it's prepared). Mac-n-cheese...No cheese taste at all. Just creme sauce with breadcrumbs although pasta was cooked well. Didn't bother with dessert. Server blasé' and not very attentive. Very loud. Open kitchen concept adds to noise, not atmosphere.
- Fabulous eveningRegretfulRitaDined on 8/29/2014We started with cocktails on the rooftop prior to our dinner. Dinner was fabulous, but Sheryl's service really helped create a magical evening for our family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner before Pirate gameSuzqDined on 8/29/2014We have eaten at Six Penn several times and it was always great, but this time something was missing. The waitress was curt and impatient. We sat in a booth by the windows and somehow the area seemed dirty - probably the view caused this feeling. The restaurant wasn't busy and it was a beautiful summer Friday night on a holiday weekend. Other restaurants were booked...
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/29/2014Six Penn Kitchen remains one of our favorite Pittsburgh restaurants!Special Features:
- No FlawssixisatenDined on 8/28/2014Excellent sevice from the time we were greated at the door until we left after our lunch was completed. Unique menu, good prices, and perfect lunch portion size. We dined on the patio and it was perfect! Great experience!Special Features:
- Consistantly Delightfulklb47Dined on 8/27/2014On this, my 4th visit to Six Penn Kitchen, I enjoyed a remarkably good glass of Australian shiraz, a perfectly-sized Caesar salad with two anchovies, and an appetizer portion of a most deliciously prepared goat cheese ravioli with eggplant, mushrooms, asparagus and tomato au jus. The waiter was pleasant and helpful. This "fit for foodies" restaurant's location in the Theatre District makes it an ideal choice for return visits.Special Features:
- Sunday Brunch DeliciousMrsYreviewsDined on 8/24/2014The Sunday Brunch menu provides great choices that are out of the ordinary. I was particularly enamored of the home fries -- chunky potatoes with skins on, cheese and leeks, typifying Six Penn's unique twist on a what could be a common menu item. If I ate wheat, I would have indulged in the house-made beignets! But wait, they are Gluten-Free friendly and happily served my crab BLT sandwich on a salad base instead of a bun. I have also lunched a few times at Six Penn. Thrilled to be seated near the 2nd floor fireplace. Another highlight was July 4th on the roof, where I enjoyed GF pizza. It has a hearth baked, rustic crust, not thick, and could be shared by both GF and non-GF folks. Definitely plan to dine there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date Night!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014I've been to Six Penn a handful of times and it's always a favorite of mine for special dinners :-) This time we went for an anniversary dinner and had a lovely time. In previous visits I had been particularly excited by the vegetarian options but this time the menu had changed. I was a bit disappointed I couldn't get the dishes I had been expecting but our waitress was phenomenal and made some alternate suggestions! The chef came up with an amazing pasta dish for me, not on the menu, and it was one of the most delicious dinners I've ever had. We had a very special anniversary and wonderful food with excellent service.Special Features:
- Went DownhillBessie85Dined on 8/22/2014Not big enough portions, and the sides are less than desireable.Special Features:
- My favorite downtown spotJodiDined on 8/21/2014Six Penn remains my favorite. Service is always spot on, menu is interesting and food is always fresh and delicious!Special Features:
- Great AmbianceIshallreturnDined on 8/16/2014Enjoy the changing menu with the seasons. Have visited on two occasions, and both experiences were delightful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food...great locationChrisDined on 8/16/2014Have eaten here many times and am never dissapointed. The food is exceptional. Selection is limited although I always find something that is pleasing. Location is within walking distance of theaters and sports venues. The service was quick but not rushed. Our waiter Andy was above and beyond.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for LunchJim53VIPDined on 8/15/2014I have had dinner here and it was fun, Lunch was quiet and boring.
- Always a good restaurantBigAugDined on 8/12/2014Whether for lunch, dinner, or after a play, concert or ball game. Six Penn always is a good choice.Special Features:
- yum-ofoodiernDined on 8/9/2014Great pork shank, great homemade gnocchi, great wine, great experienceSpecial Features:
- DisappointingEatoutoftenDined on 8/8/2014We went this past Friday and the noise level was too high. Not only that, but we ordered a burger with no fixings and made it very clear to the waitress and she confirmed, but the burger came out slathered with sauce. We sent it back and had to wait another 15 minutes for a new one. No apology from the manager. The chickpea cakes came out cold and I had them take it off the bill - no apology again. The experience was not worth the $130 bill for 4 - and one of us didn't even have an entre.
- great for lunch too27CCCCDined on 8/7/2014went fo lunch for first time -- just as good as dinnerSpecial Features:
- Good food, not a good pricelj00Dined on 8/2/2014For the prices that Six Penn Kitchen charges, the portions are SMALL. Appetizer of TWO Chick Pea cakes-- $9. Yikes! Chick Peas are not an expensive food! I visited with my parents and husband, and they all ordered a Sea Food Risotto plate. It was $27 for 3 clams, 3 mussels, and a 2 ounce portion of fish. Actually, they only gave my husband 2 clams :-/ Ouch! While the food all tasted good, they were still hungry after their meals! For as much as this place is charging for food, they should give you a bit more of it. Maybe they're trying to encourage you to order an appetizer, dinner and dessert in order to feel full (and spend more money?) I'm not sure, but their are restaurants downtown with equally good food and fairer pricing.Special Features:
- Salty food..OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014Food was very salty - both mine and the dish my friend had..... we did not order the same food... the waitress did bring free dessert- her choosing... for the price-over $30 per meal plus a few drinks , we will not be back...
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014The staff was extremely accommodating to my many dietary restrictions and the kitchen prepared me a beautiful, delicious meal. I will definitely be back and will recommend six penn to others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodPWRrevueDined on 8/2/2014There were only (2) entree's without something sweet added to it. Seems like the chef likes to cook with sweet ingredients. Disappointed in the choices.......onion soup was all onions no broth....Special Features:
- Pre-Theatre ChoiceQueenoftheUniverseDined on 8/1/2014Great place to have dinner before an event in Cultural District. Make a reservation when multiple shows or weekends. You rarely wait if you have a reservation - great food choices - always interesting items worthy of a try. The staff seem very knowledgable and want you to have a good experience. I think prices are very reasonable - cocktails have always been a good pour and all that the description says. The fresh items are indeed fresh and presentation has been interesting. I don't get tired of the menu due to the changes based on fresh options available to the chef. Fun dinner!Special Features:
- great view of the burghburghfoodDined on 7/31/2014enjoyed a good lunch with fast service on the rooftop. would do it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth it.ElleVDined on 7/28/2014With so many other great restaurants downtown, it's not worth it to come here for overly-salted (caprese burger and greens with jowl) entrees. The pork shank was passable, but if you're going out for a night on the town, go somewhere else.
- Matinee BrunchLouJoDined on 7/27/2014We experienced outstanding food and service. This was an excellent choice for brunch before a Sunday show!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theater DinnerNOLAnativeDined on 7/26/2014Went with my daughters and husband before a show at Heinz Hall. The service was ok, the ambience was very loud due to the vibrant kitchen in the dining area. My daughter and I ordered the same meal, but her steak was much bigger and cooked perfectly, while mine was a thinner and smaller NY Strip that was overcooked. Good wine list, but never asked if I wanted another glass and then it got too close to show time.Special Features:
- Exceeded ExpectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Seating was prompt (hostesses could be friendlier), service was excellent, food was delicious. Steak, perfectly cooked ( my husband said it was the best he has ever had and that includes The Palm in NYC). My fish was cooked perfectly with the perfect flavoring. You must have dessert...Apple pie with house made ice cream was to die for. If I thought taking kids here would be welcomed, we would dine here more often!Special Features:
- Noisy, slow serviceBurghgalDined on 7/26/2014The restaurant was busy and noisy due to a concert being in town. Lots of loud people drinking prior to the concert. Bathrooms were messy and stalls out of TP. Our service was slow. The server didn't know the menu. I asked what was on my plate and he said it was a mole type sauce for the duck when it was confit lentils. My sister got the wrong fish with her meal but it was something she would eat so it wasn't sent back. The dining experience was just ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what we expected!Concertgoers2Dined on 7/25/2014Normally we have brunch at Six Penn Kitchen before going to the symphony. This time we were going to an evening symphony so we decided to have dinner there. We were not happy with our dinner experience. We realize that because of the location and the type of meal being served the meals were 30 to 35 dollars each. This is higher than we expected. In addition, my wife had crab cakes which were served cold and had to be sent back to the kitchen and warmed up. Even after being warmed up, they were not worth the price paid, and the delay kind of put a damper on the whole thing. The service was excellent and my meal was good. However, we will think twice about going back to Six Penn Kitchen. We like the atmosphere and the service was great.Special Features: