Six Penn Kitchen
146 Sixth Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Six Penn Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sixpennkitchen.com/
- Phone: 4125667366
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch is served Monday-Friday 11:00am-2:30pm
Dinner is served Monday-Saturday 4:30pm-close
Brunch is served Sunday 10:30am-2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kevin Klingensmith
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Penn Avenue
- Public Transit: Many bus routes available, as well as a train running within one block of the restaurant.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Located in the heart of the Pittsburgh Cultural district, there are several public garages within walking distance. Validation is offered at the garage located on Penn Avenue, directly across from the restaurant.
A word from Six Penn Kitchen
Six Penn Kitchen features fresh, carefully crafted, all-American cuisine. The menu highlights seasonal ingredients and takes an updated approach to regional classics. From stocks, sauces & charcuterie techniques in the kitchen, to the vermouth soaked olives & marinated maraschino cherries at the bar, everything is expertly prepared and crafted in-house. Both the food & cocktail menu change frequently taking advantage of seasonal products delivered by outstanding local farms & growers' cooperatives. By paying attention to the basics- true hospitality, great food, and a casually sophisticated environment - Six Penn Kitchen is a place where guests can kick back, slow down & enjoy the pleasure of great food, drink and conversation. Six Penn Kitchen looks forward to welcoming you!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Six Penn Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Six Penn Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
219 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (105)special occasion (67)good for groups (60)neighborhood gem (50)great for lunch (50)hot spot (39)great for brunch (37)great for outdoor dining (36)notable wine list (32)vibrant bar scene (30)romantic (22)late-night find (20)scenic view (12)kid-friendly (9)Show More
- Definitely a Pittsburgh Go ToOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014We were treated like VIPs by Executive Chef, Cory Hughes. From the wine/cocktails to appetizers to the entrees to the delicious dessert - every aspect was phenominal. Although SIX PENN isn't the newest or trendiest restaurant in Pittsburgh these days, it should be resurfaced and brought into the spotlight again.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014We have been to this restaurant before, there is now a new menu, not updated on open table. Chickpea cake appetizer had no flavor. Choices for main courses were extremely limited especially for anyone with dietary restrictions. The only bread they offered had seeds which my husband can not have. Server was a little over zealous. Dessert was good.
- Amazing ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Our server was excellent. He had a sense of humor and was very knowledgeable about the menu and wine list. He was beyond accommodating.Special Features:
- Great find in the Cultural DistrictFoodNerdVIPDined on 10/16/2014A colleague and I were visiting from out of town and had tickets to a nearby theater. Found this spot online, via reviews, etc., and were not disappointed! Great service, amazing food and a really fun variety. Definitely recommend!Special Features:
- ok for pre event diningbeelahDined on 10/16/2014Six Penn is decent for downtown Pittsburgh pre event dining.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best thing about fall - new menu!OnewvugradVIPDined on 10/14/2014I was a little worried about trying the grilled pear cheese sandwich. Didn't seem like a good combo. However, it was amazing!!!! I absolutely loved it! I am loving the new fall menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 6 Penn RestaurantnotformeDined on 10/12/2014My visit to 6 Penn Kitchen was a good one. I cam hungry, and was satisfied with good food and good service. I definitely will return to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!BptravelerDined on 10/11/2014The food was amazing! Our waitress was very friendly and accommodating. It was perfect for a special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deliciousmeg08011Dined on 10/10/2014Good was delicious, waiter was very attentive. A little noisy but it was very busy. Would definitely eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very DisappointedLouyDined on 10/8/2014I was very disappointed with my meal. I always order the beer breaded fish and chips. The time before last when I was there for lunch, my fish was a little under cooked but I said nothing and it was okay. This time the fish was so overcooked that I couldn't penetrate it with a knife. I sent it back and got another fish which was now grossly under cooked. My waitress offered to have them cook another fish but I declined. I did not have time to wait for them to get it right the third time. I am very disappointed in the meals I have been getting at SixPenn. I stopped coming there for a while thinking maybe things over time would get better. I was wrong, things have actually gotten worse.
- Still my favoriteJodiDined on 10/8/2014With so many resteraunts in the city now, Six Penn still remains one of my favorites. The service is always outstanding, the atmosphere is comfortable and the food is fresh. I like that the menu is simple with interesting choices. I don't need to read a book when going out to eat!Special Features:
- Yummy ... will returnDrGrapesVIPDined on 10/6/2014The restaurant is ideally located if you're looking for a great meal before a concert or show. This is not a restaurant for 'light / fresh' eaters. I wasn't terribly hungry and most of the items on the menu were quite hearty / heavy food. I would encourage you to go here hungry because the flavors are terrific and lots of great options. I was there on a Monday night so it was slow and I can only comment that my service was spot-on. Not sure how they do on a busy night but I'll definitely repeat.Special Features:
- Amazing Anniversary BrunchgirlaccountantDined on 10/5/2014Six Penn Kitchen has been a go-to place for my husband and I prior to a theater event for years. We had Sunday matinee tickets on our anniversary this year, and Six Penn Kitchen did not disappoint! The brunch is spectacular, and the manager is amazing! We were given the best seat in the house, along with complimentary mimosas and a "Happy Anniversary" donut. They went above and beyond and made this anniversary a memorable one. Thank you, Six Penn Kitchen!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor seating even with reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/4/2014When we walked into the restaurant I really liked the ambiance, energy. The hostess not very pleasant or friendly took us upstairs and led us all the way to a backroom which had absolutely no ambience like the rest of the restaurant, and seated the four of us at a tilted table made for a party of six, next to two parties of ten. One of the parties was celebrating a bachelorette party and were extremely loud. I would have had a better first experience if we were seated appropriately. It was such a turn off that I will not be returning. The food was good but not good enough to make up for the poor seating.Special Features:
- Overall Very GoodPamperedPalateDined on 10/4/2014Though there were a few issues with service, our experience was quite enjoyable. Everyone very much enjoyed their food and, save for some blips in service and the fact that the fat on my duck breast was not totally rendered, we all enjoyed our food. Specifically the buffalo orzo balls were quite tasty as was the pork shank. Those two stars we the most appreciated items that we received. In my opinion, this is a nice restaurant to visit for a special occasion, but as a foodie destination, I think there are better options. Perhaps if I ever go back, I will try the chef's tasting menu (as I am intrigued by it) and perhaps my palate will be pampered.Special Features:
- Awesome Lunch for Tworjj130Dined on 10/3/2014My wife and I recently had lunch at Six Penn. We previously had only stopped by for drinks prior to a show and decided to give lunch a try. We left with satisfied opinions as well as bellys! I had had the pulled pork tacos while my wife had the butternut squash soup and sampled the pizza of the day, pulled pork with caramelized red onions and a BBQ vinaigrette sauce. The portions were awesome and the food was even better. There was plenty of pizza to bring home for a snack later on. We definitely will be back to sample dinner next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- usually good before theaterdinnerdivaDined on 9/30/2014I have been here many times before. The food was good once again, but the service was less than stellar. We had tickets to the theater and told our server and we had plenty of time. He ignored us after our dinner and finally came and we asked for the check and then he did not come back to take it. We finally cornered someone else to take or credit card. Fortunately the theater was across the street, but what should have been a relaxing dinner became one of watching for the waiter and then rushing across the street. I am sure we will go somewhere else before the next production in the city. I have never had this trouble there before. It is also very loud in this establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food. Way too noisy.luvgoodfoodDined on 9/27/2014The chef is amazing. Couldn't have been more pleased with the dinner itself. Unfortunately, there was a big high school reunion at the bar a few tables away. They should have shut the restaurant for it. Who goes out for a great dinner next to a boisterous class reunion?Special Features:
- Birthday Dinner not so greatcasualdinerDined on 9/27/2014I chose SixPenn because of it's proximity to Heinz Hall. Our reservation was for 6:30pm. The tables are very close to each other, and there was a lot of ambient noise which made it difficult to hold a conversation during the meal. Our waitress took our order and 6:45pm, we didn't get our meals until 7:30pm, in meantime we received our appetizer at 7pm, and she bought us salads (that we did not order) and my wife's soup didn't arrive until 7:20pm (which she' comp'd). I ordered the burger w/ fries. Although the burger was excellent, the fries where cold. and we had to rush through our meal to make to the show on time. I would say overall the experience was conflicting, especially for such a limited menu.Special Features:
- Dinner before the playDKgangDined on 9/27/2014Outstanding waiter, food was fabulous. We were not rushed at any time, we like a 2 1/2 hour dinner with friends for talking and laughter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014View of skyline was awesome, food was adequate at best, and overpriced. I do not mind paying well for good food, but my food was just OK. I would never go there again to eat. I would, however, just go to the rooftop for drinks because of the view.Special Features:
- Great Place for DinnerRed0wl67Dined on 9/26/2014Came here before a show at Heinz Hall. Delicious food, nice atmosphere, and great location to just walk to the show afterwards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited but excellentWahooVIPDined on 9/25/2014If you're looking for a menu with 100 items, this isn't your place. There were four of us and we all ordered the pork shank. It was delivered and served attractively. The pork and surrounding potatoes were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rooftop for Happy Hour Not DinnerUrbanRancherDined on 9/24/2014I had a reservation and requested to be on the rooftop deck. When I got there they told me that the deck was open seating. We got a table and then the waitress came over and told us the table was reserved. Hmmm? Thought you couldn't reserve up there? So we moved to another table, but it ended up being really loud, smoky and overly crowded up there - people were bumping us with their bags and putting their drinks on our table...great for after-work happy hour, but not what we were going for before seeing a show at Heinz Hall. We asked to be moved inside and they took care of us, so that was good. FYI, don't order red wine on the rooftop! They keep it cold, so it doesn't spoil in the sun! Ask for a glass from the inside bar. Food was just OKSpecial Features:
- Good food!BrianTDined on 9/20/2014Had a weekend in Pittsburgh and found Six Penn on the web. Conveniently located near the Pirates stadium, the place was really great. Friendly service, really tasty food and an extensive wine list. Definitely recommend!Special Features:
- Place has gone downhillFrankencupcakesDined on 9/19/2014I took my husband out to dinner here and we used to love their food a few years ago. We ordered drinks.. Mine was a peach old fashioned. Said it was supposed to have a grilled peach slice in it, it didnt. The tortilla soup was good, but not outstanding. I ordered the crab cake dinner that was $29 dollars; the cakes were mostly filler and there was hardly a lump of crab meat available. I picked at it and didn't even eat one of the two of them. The Mac n cheese I ordered as a side was pretty good though. My husband ordered the BBQ plate. The ribs were tasty but the brisket was so dry. We felt like for the $115 we spent on dinner, we could have recreated better food at home... Total waste of money.Special Features:
- Great FoodAlanLDined on 9/19/2014Had a wonderful meal at Six Penn. The main course - a quail dish - was filled with pleasant and striking contrasts - sweet/tangy, soft/chewy, spicy/mild. Great salads and desserts, too.Special Features:
- Great DinnerBuzzDined on 9/19/2014Salmon and pork were both fantastic. Service and presentation were great. Location is very convenient for theater or any activity in the cultural district. I have never had anything other than a fantastic dinner there.Special Features:
- Always Great!BobABooeyVIPDined on 9/17/2014Love the selection of creative, tasteful foods. Always something new on the menu. An excellent diversion by Parkhurst from their traditional Eat n Park restaurants. Perfect part of the Theater District.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service outstandinghurleygirl75VIPDined on 9/16/2014As always Six Penn never disappoints in food and service! you can't beat the restaurant for creative food and Cheryl as a server is the best!!! Make sure you go to Six Penn before a show or just enjoy a cocktail.Special Features:
- Normally good. Not this time.BradK72VIPDined on 9/14/2014I usually have a very good experience here and have been several times. This time was different. The eggs Benedict came out with one egg only half cooked, the other was perfect. Parts of it were very cold while other parts were fine. The other meal came out minus the toast and we were charged $2 more than the menu price. We also had to ask for water refills which just shouldn't happen. If this was my first visit, it would have most certainly been my last. I know they can do better and have in the past. I'll give them one more shot but if it's a repeat, it will be the last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great serviceOut2dinnerDined on 9/13/2014Wonderful dinner with excellent service. Git us out in time for a 7:00 performance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food! Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014We enjoyed the great food. I had the fish of the day (on the recommendation of our server) and my husband had the pork chop. Both were delicious. French press coffee and dessert were also very tasty. The meal was well-paced. Our server was friendly and very attentive. The only negative--the noise level-- much too high for a relaxing, pleasant experience. What a great choice, though, when attending a performance at Heinz Hall.Special Features:
- DisappointingTinaDined on 9/13/2014Starting off with being seated in the furthest room , last table in the corner and we made reservation for 5pm started off not good. We were moved but had to promise to be out by 6:30! Bad start.. Crab cakes were way "too moist".. Almost raw.. The bar has always been nice but won't be trying dinner again:(Special Features:
- Nice pre-game mealTheMonkDined on 9/13/2014Service was very good, and the cocktail that my partner had was done well. I ordered a $15 glass of french Pinot Noir which turned up tasting terrible. I mentioned this to the server and with argument at all, she changed it and came back with a new glass (presumably taken from a recently opened bottle) that was much better. We had the charcuterie which was very good, including a californian Goat cheese, which was amazing. We then shared the surf 'n turf, which was OK, but nothing special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly menuShayneDined on 9/12/2014My friend is vegetarian and gluten free and I'm a vegetarian and Six Penn was great accommodating our needs. Good was excellent and the chickpea cakes are too die for. Our service was excellent to. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/10/2014Think the food was great! However the server was very annoying, she would continue to interrupt the conversation with silly questions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchluvPghdiningDined on 9/7/2014A wonderful brunch on the roof top during a gorgeous Pittsburgh Sunday!Special Features:
- BrunchMomandMeDined on 9/7/2014Enjoyed Brunch before the theatre...great choice. The food was great, staff wonderful and the walk to the theatre after was just a block. Even thought there was a Steeler game that afternoon, the staff moved the people along and was a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Six Penn has changedlebeukVIPDined on 9/7/2014Change can be a good thing, but unfortunately in the case of Six Penn, we don't like the menu change. We always go there before Steeler games for brunch, but Sunday we found the menu loaded with carbs. We used to love the frittata, quiche, fresh fruit, corned beef hash, etc. Sunday we found the menu leaded with waffles, pancakes, beignets, etc. Yes, they still have omelets, but there is not the variety if you are looking for something that is not sweet.Special Features: