Six Penn Kitchen
146 Sixth Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Six Penn Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sixpennkitchen.com/
- Phone: (412) 566-7366
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch is served Monday-Friday 11:00am-2:30pm
Dinner is served Monday-Saturday 4:30pm-close
Brunch is served Sunday 10:30am-2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kevin Klingensmith
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Penn Avenue
- Public Transit: Many bus routes available, as well as a train running within one block of the restaurant.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Located in the heart of the Pittsburgh Cultural district, there are several public garages within walking distance. Validation is offered at the garage located on Penn Avenue, directly across from the restaurant.
A word from Six Penn Kitchen
Six Penn Kitchen features fresh, carefully crafted, all-American cuisine. The menu highlights seasonal ingredients and takes an updated approach to regional classics. From stocks, sauces & charcuterie techniques in the kitchen, to the vermouth soaked olives & marinated maraschino cherries at the bar, everything is expertly prepared and crafted in-house. Both the food & cocktail menu change frequently taking advantage of seasonal products delivered by outstanding local farms & growers' cooperatives. By paying attention to the basics- true hospitality, great food, and a casually sophisticated environment - Six Penn Kitchen is a place where guests can kick back, slow down & enjoy the pleasure of great food, drink and conversation. Six Penn Kitchen looks forward to welcoming you!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Six Penn Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Six Penn Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
219 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (112)special occasion (69)good for groups (55)great for lunch (50)hot spot (42)neighborhood gem (41)notable wine list (35)great for brunch (34)vibrant bar scene (29)great for outdoor dining (21)late-night find (18)romantic (14)kid-friendly (10)scenic view (9)Show More
- Six Penn is okOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/25/2014Got the butternut squash soup and chickpea crab cake salad- came out cold and tasteless- sort of surprised because I ate there before and it was decent. Waiter had the food heated - not much but he tried but still was not great. Nice restaurant but just not going to be my first choiceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014Wait staff was very attentive. The restaurant was very crowded for Sunday brunch but we did manage to get seated a bit early for our Noon reservation. Having a reservation for brunch is highly recommended. They were out of three of the main dishes by Noon... All three of which were the ones I wanted to try. We ended up ordering quiche and pumpkin pancakes which were very good. At times we struggled to hear each other during conversation. There was a large party or event in the back room on the second floor where we were seated and all the sound from below carries upward.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some problems.RichlovesfoodDined on 11/23/2014Uncharacteristicly there was a mistake with my order and unfortunately the meat enter was burnt. The manager made it right, but it was disappointing. Mistakes happen.Special Features:
- Great dinner spot.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2014The atmosphere was very warm and friendly, the staff was knowledgable and the food was pretty good. A little pricey but worth the money and the wine selection was very nice. I enjoyed my first time and would recommend to others to try it out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Start to Finish, a good experience.JonBLDined on 11/22/2014Used OpenTable to make a reservation for 2. Promptly received confirmation. So far, so good. Arrived just prior to time. Well received by front, though their information indicated there would be 4 of us. No problem, within minutes we were seated upstairs. Server arrived shortly. He was busy but was appropriately attentive, good personality, and suggestions upon request. One awkward situation. We were seated at a table for two, opposite each other. However, table is long, putting some distance between your date and yourself. Difficult to carry on a private conversation without leaning in very far, both of you, so as to be heard but not by the entire crowd. Drinks innovative, starters good, entrees very tasty. Crab Cannelloni was a very generous serving and hot, oh, and quite delicious! The Confit Cracklin' Pork Shank was also quite enough to eat, delicious, however, only lukewarm. Forged ahead anyway, just a slip-up not expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but not hotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/22/2014Our food was tasty and full of flavor but not hot. My moms dish was room was barely warm. We didn't send it back because we were heading to a show and didn't know if there was time. Wine list included bottles to fit all budgets. Overall good but not great because of food temperature.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/21/2014One of our favorite restaurants in downtown Pittsburgh. The seasonally changing menu is always delicious and interesting. A bit pricey but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem.AnewlaughDined on 11/19/2014Six Penn has an open warm feeling, and though at times when at high capacity the noise level does rise, it is never at a point where you can't carry on a conversation. The servers know the food and make it very easy to dine at a high quality restaurant as a vegetarian. The seasonal menu means there's always something new to try and I can trust the chef when ordering outside my normal palate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Six PennCathyLDined on 11/19/2014Food was good albeit a little too over the top. Pretzel bites were delicious - a must try - I wish they had a few simpler things on menu. I had my 83 year old mother and 25 year old daughter - you need something for everyone and it doesn't always have to be over the top, just plain good food. Waiter had a great sense of humor and very helpful. This was a theater crowd so a lot of "mature" folks - so maybe a tad more accommodating for regular people just wanting a nice dinner before the show. Also it was a little pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deliciousVirginiaDined on 11/19/2014The food was absolutely delicious. Four people dined, all had something different, and all thoroughly enjoyed their food. The service was wonderful; everyone we encountered was friendly. We will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off nightBethDined on 11/18/2014We've been to Six Penn many times. It's one of our favorite restaurants downtown. This just must have been an off nite. Both dinners were served just warm, and the pork chop I ordered was served almost half raw and had to be sent back. There was a long delay after ordering desert, which had to be canceled since we had theater tickets and it was getting too close to curtain time. Like I said though, one of our favorites. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice BreakfastPensIceDined on 11/16/2014Went for brunch before the Opera on Sunday. Each person ordered something different because it was our first time. The chicken fried steak was great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely foodie feastCastaJenDined on 11/14/2014Excellent food. LARGE fresh farm table side portions. However, appetizers are rather small for sharing. I had the Chef's Oyster special. 15 bucks) but only 3 Oysters. Wonderful service and management. They will go out of the way to make you feel SPECIAL~!!! Which I always enjoy. :) Try the dessert specials. Out of this WORLD.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly service & good foodUsedtobeaYinzerDined on 11/8/2014The place was hopping with folks attending events at Heinz Hall & Benedum on a Saturday night, but we were seated w/in minutes of our arrival thanks the the Open Table reservation. Menu is limited, but everything was very good. Great staff who were attentive but not intrusive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/8/2014Delicious dinner right across the street from Heinz Hall. The food was fresh and nicely presented. We loved the atmosphere and open kitchen. Service was friendly and efficient. We were going to a show and they served us without any delay. Special attention was paid to our daughter's food allergy. We loved the pasta and short rib entrees. Burger was delicious too. Overall an excellent dining experience with a great vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Timeeeb0119Dined on 11/8/2014My husband and I chose to celebrate our anniversary at Six Penn. We made early reservations anticipating the theater crowd and were seated right away. Everything was wonderful from the moment we walked in. I thought the service was outstanding- our waitress was attentive, the chef stopped by to check on us, and the manager said hello as well. Each course was brought out promptly and was hot. My husband thoroughly enjoyed the pork shank and I loved the crab cannelloni. Yes, the menu is somewhat limited, but I like that it changes seasonally. Knowing this, we'd come back again to try the new items next season. Thanks for a great dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Opera enthusiasts...GNOLadiesDined on 11/8/2014Thank you, thank you, thank you.....all was terrific and food prep and presentation was perfect. Thanks for accommodating our larger party and creating a relaxed dining experience.Special Features:
- Great experience!TeachDined on 11/6/2014Reservation online was actually read and the time adjusted. Comfortable table and great service! We were shocked by the generous size of the onion rings portion - delicious. All entrees were presented beautifully and the taste never disappointed. Marvelous experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sunday reservationpennyDined on 11/2/2014reservation was 2:00 was not seated until 2:20. waiter told us they were out of corned beef-most of their brunch menu is made with corned beef. ordered omelets with potatoes and two guests had salads. omelet and potatoes were cold, others said salad was adequate. sangria was white wine with lemon and lime. was not crowded and service was very slow. would not recommend nor would go back on a sunday.
- Farm to PlateWinnerChickenDinnerDined on 11/1/2014Great quality ingredients and fresh options. Food is excellent.
- circus circusiriniDined on 11/1/2014good kids menu, good service,good food --a nice before the theater spot. The circus dessert worth the look on the kids faces when it arrivedSpecial Features:
- Great Options for Kids tooKfromPADined on 11/1/2014Though I have dined at Six Penn many times before, I had never taken children to the restaurant until this past Saturday. I was especially impressed with the level of attention the wait staff paid to my two young companions, who were delighted with their Shirley Temple "cocktails," their meals from the children's menu selection (my niece's pasta looked so good, I insisted on a taste too), and their ice cream desserts.Special Features:
- Dinner Before the SymphonyOldBobbyBoyDined on 11/1/2014We had dinner on Saturday (11/1/14) night before attending the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra concert, and like all of the other times we have visited Six Penn Kitchen for dinner, we were surprised at how different the menu for that night was from other visits. We each had a salad before dinner and we both chose the pork chop as the entrée. While it was very good, it wasn't quite as memorable as the pork loin we had on our last visit to Six Penn Kitchen. Our server was very attentive and overall, the experience was a good one.Special Features:
- Still my Go-To Spot downtownYinzerFoodieDined on 11/1/2014SixPenn does not disappoint. I'm happy that they have found a balance between rotating seasonal items and old favorites, like their pork shank and potatoes (individually, I am not a fan of sauerkraut or mashed potatoes, but put them together, and add some bacon, and my is it heavenly!) I have never been disappointed I their brunch, and it continues to be my favorite bruch spot in the area. It features new twists on old favorites, like their eggs Benedict with ham, crab cake, and asaparagus. I also look forward to their panackr so and french toast, which are always delectable. French toast made with pound cake? Smothered in fruit or Choclate or something else luscious? Yes, please!Special Features:
- Incredible find in pittsburghCinnamonVIPDined on 10/27/2014Stumbled upon this restaurant while in town for a convention. Thought the food was superb and service very good. Recommended to all my colleagues who also loved it. The chef uses local ingredients and the prices are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a place for BrunchMaryH1Dined on 10/26/2014I've been at Six Penn for lunch, dinner and special events and have always enjoyed it. However, this past Sunday, when we arrived to a half empty restaurant, we were placed directly next to a large pole in the middle of the room, while surrounded by much "nicer" tables. Menu was limited. Food was well prepared. Service was also rather slow given number of customers, but waiter was ok.I would recommend this to a friend.
- JimIrishVIPDined on 10/26/2014Great place to brumch prior to an afternoon event a Heinz Hall or Benedum Center.Special Features:
- Love this restaurantluvbrunchDined on 10/26/2014We come to this restaurant for brunch about once a month before going to the Pittsburgh Public Theater. We love it! The food is creative and excellent. The service is warm and friendly and the pricing is very reasonable.Special Features:
- First time dinerNeed2GetOutMoreDined on 10/25/2014My wife and I visited Six Penn for the first time Saturday night, and loved our time there. The food was spectacular, timed well, and the service was great too. We enjoyed dinner actually more than the show we saw afterward, and will be back.Special Features:
- We loved itJudiaDined on 10/24/2014Had not been here before but it was recommended by several friends. Lots of different selections. The fall menu is great. The guys liked the shanks and loved their beer. Great place to go before or after a showSpecial Features:
- Good; but not fantastickaitb1103Dined on 10/24/2014Service was wonderful; however, the food was just 'ok'. I had a birthday coupon so that lessened the overall cost (which I put back into the tip), but it was just ho hum. I had the caesar salad & it was better than the fish special (a salmon filet in red sauce). I'm also of the opinion that fish entrees should be presented fully decaled without a scale crust, and this one included it. Overall, just ok. If I didn't have the birthday coupon, I wouldn't go again anytime soon.Special Features:
- lots of veggiessusanloves2cookDined on 10/22/2014We were pleasantly surprised to find plenty of non-meat options, and they were prepared very well. The Chick Pea Cakes appetizer surprised us with its fluffy texture (I was expecting something closer to falafel). The only thing that has always bugged us is the noise level, even upstairs away from the main bar. A little more soundproofing would really help.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food has potentialOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/21/2014Service slow (server had too many tables to attend to). Everything was luke warm starting with the heirloom tomato soup de jour. 3 of our 4 entrees were also barely warm. Crab cannelloni just doesn't cut it at room temp. Server alerted manager and we received 20% off our tab and a free dessert, but it didn't make up for the restaurant's shortcomings! Unfortunate, because the flavors were good but we did not enjoy our meal!
- Good not greatjgrahamDined on 10/20/2014While the food itself was delicious and our server was very attentive and did a great job, the rest of the experience did not meet expectations. Despite having a reservation and being on time, we stood there for almost 10 minutes before even being acknowledged. Many different employees were at the host/hostess podium w/o even making eye contact with us while a number of walk-ins were greeted and sat immediately. Also, while there were several tables and booths open, we were sat at a tiny little table crammed between other small tables. Overall, aside from the French Onion soup, we thought the food was delicious but the whole experience was very underwhelming when you factor in the high price.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely a Pittsburgh Go ToCollyflowerpghDined on 10/18/2014We were treated like VIPs by Executive Chef, Cory Hughes. From the wine/cocktails to appetizers to the entrees to the delicious dessert - every aspect was phenominal. Although SIX PENN isn't the newest or trendiest restaurant in Pittsburgh these days, it should be resurfaced and brought into the spotlight again.Special Features:
- One of our favoritesVickyDined on 10/18/2014We just really enjoy Six Penn, they have a great menu and our food is always quite good. Its a great location. It's also not too snobby when you are dressed for a sporting event and not the theater, we always feel like we fit in!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014We have been to this restaurant before, there is now a new menu, not updated on open table. Chickpea cake appetizer had no flavor. Choices for main courses were extremely limited especially for anyone with dietary restrictions. The only bread they offered had seeds which my husband can not have. Server was a little over zealous. Dessert was good.
- Amazing Service10outta10Dined on 10/17/2014Our server was excellent. He had a sense of humor and was very knowledgeable about the menu and wine list. He was beyond accommodating.Special Features:
- Great find in the Cultural DistrictFoodNerdVIPDined on 10/16/2014A colleague and I were visiting from out of town and had tickets to a nearby theater. Found this spot online, via reviews, etc., and were not disappointed! Great service, amazing food and a really fun variety. Definitely recommend!Special Features:
- ok for pre event diningbeelahDined on 10/16/2014Six Penn is decent for downtown Pittsburgh pre event dining.I would recommend this to a friend.