Six Penn Kitchen
146 Sixth Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Six Penn Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sixpennkitchen.com/
- Phone: 4125667366
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch is served Monday-Friday 11:00am-2:30pm
Dinner is served Monday-Saturday 4:30pm-close
Brunch is served Sunday 10:30am-2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kevin Klingensmith
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Penn Avenue
- Public Transit: Many bus routes available, as well as a train running within one block of the restaurant.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Located in the heart of the Pittsburgh Cultural district, there are several public garages within walking distance. Validation is offered at the garage located on Penn Avenue, directly across from the restaurant.
A word from Six Penn Kitchen
Six Penn Kitchen features fresh, carefully crafted, all-American cuisine. The menu highlights seasonal ingredients and takes an updated approach to regional classics. From stocks, sauces & charcuterie techniques in the kitchen, to the vermouth soaked olives & marinated maraschino cherries at the bar, everything is expertly prepared and crafted in-house. Both the food & cocktail menu change frequently taking advantage of seasonal products delivered by outstanding local farms & growers' cooperatives. By paying attention to the basics- true hospitality, great food, and a casually sophisticated environment - Six Penn Kitchen is a place where guests can kick back, slow down & enjoy the pleasure of great food, drink and conversation. Six Penn Kitchen looks forward to welcoming you!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Six Penn Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Six Penn Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
214 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (96)special occasion (58)good for groups (51)neighborhood gem (50)great for lunch (49)great for brunch (40)great for outdoor dining (38)hot spot (33)vibrant bar scene (28)notable wine list (26)romantic (23)late-night find (19)scenic view (13)kid-friendly (8)Show More
- Birthday Dinner not so greatcasualdinerDined on 9/27/2014I chose SixPenn because of it's proximity to Heinz Hall. Our reservation was for 6:30pm. The tables are very close to each other, and there was a lot of ambient noise which made it difficult to hold a conversation during the meal. Our waitress took our order and 6:45pm, we didn't get our meals until 7:30pm, in meantime we received our appetizer at 7pm, and she bought us salads (that we did not order) and my wife's soup didn't arrive until 7:20pm (which she' comp'd). I ordered the burger w/ fries. Although the burger was excellent, the fries where cold. and we had to rush through our meal to make to the show on time. I would say overall the experience was conflicting, especially for such a limited menu.Special Features:
- Dinner before the playDKgangDined on 9/27/2014Outstanding waiter, food was fabulous. We were not rushed at any time, we like a 2 1/2 hour dinner with friends for talking and laughter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014View of skyline was awesome, food was adequate at best, and overpriced. I do not mind paying well for good food, but my food was just OK. I would never go there again to eat. I would, however, just go to the rooftop for drinks because of the view.Special Features:
- Great Place for DinnerRed0wl67Dined on 9/26/2014Came here before a show at Heinz Hall. Delicious food, nice atmosphere, and great location to just walk to the show afterwards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited but excellentWahooVIPDined on 9/25/2014If you're looking for a menu with 100 items, this isn't your place. There were four of us and we all ordered the pork shank. It was delivered and served attractively. The pork and surrounding potatoes were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rooftop for Happy Hour Not DinnerUrbanRancherDined on 9/24/2014I had a reservation and requested to be on the rooftop deck. When I got there they told me that the deck was open seating. We got a table and then the waitress came over and told us the table was reserved. Hmmm? Thought you couldn't reserve up there? So we moved to another table, but it ended up being really loud, smoky and overly crowded up there - people were bumping us with their bags and putting their drinks on our table...great for after-work happy hour, but not what we were going for before seeing a show at Heinz Hall. We asked to be moved inside and they took care of us, so that was good. FYI, don't order red wine on the rooftop! They keep it cold, so it doesn't spoil in the sun! Ask for a glass from the inside bar. Food was just OKSpecial Features:
- Good food!BrianTDined on 9/20/2014Had a weekend in Pittsburgh and found Six Penn on the web. Conveniently located near the Pirates stadium, the place was really great. Friendly service, really tasty food and an extensive wine list. Definitely recommend!Special Features:
- Place has gone downhillFrankencupcakesDined on 9/19/2014I took my husband out to dinner here and we used to love their food a few years ago. We ordered drinks.. Mine was a peach old fashioned. Said it was supposed to have a grilled peach slice in it, it didnt. The tortilla soup was good, but not outstanding. I ordered the crab cake dinner that was $29 dollars; the cakes were mostly filler and there was hardly a lump of crab meat available. I picked at it and didn't even eat one of the two of them. The Mac n cheese I ordered as a side was pretty good though. My husband ordered the BBQ plate. The ribs were tasty but the brisket was so dry. We felt like for the $115 we spent on dinner, we could have recreated better food at home... Total waste of money.Special Features:
- Great FoodAlanLDined on 9/19/2014Had a wonderful meal at Six Penn. The main course - a quail dish - was filled with pleasant and striking contrasts - sweet/tangy, soft/chewy, spicy/mild. Great salads and desserts, too.Special Features:
- Great DinnerBuzzDined on 9/19/2014Salmon and pork were both fantastic. Service and presentation were great. Location is very convenient for theater or any activity in the cultural district. I have never had anything other than a fantastic dinner there.Special Features:
- Always Great!BobABooeyVIPDined on 9/17/2014Love the selection of creative, tasteful foods. Always something new on the menu. An excellent diversion by Parkhurst from their traditional Eat n Park restaurants. Perfect part of the Theater District.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service outstandinghurleygirl75VIPDined on 9/16/2014As always Six Penn never disappoints in food and service! you can't beat the restaurant for creative food and Cheryl as a server is the best!!! Make sure you go to Six Penn before a show or just enjoy a cocktail.Special Features:
- Normally good. Not this time.BradK72VIPDined on 9/14/2014I usually have a very good experience here and have been several times. This time was different. The eggs Benedict came out with one egg only half cooked, the other was perfect. Parts of it were very cold while other parts were fine. The other meal came out minus the toast and we were charged $2 more than the menu price. We also had to ask for water refills which just shouldn't happen. If this was my first visit, it would have most certainly been my last. I know they can do better and have in the past. I'll give them one more shot but if it's a repeat, it will be the last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great serviceOut2dinnerDined on 9/13/2014Wonderful dinner with excellent service. Git us out in time for a 7:00 performance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food! Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014We enjoyed the great food. I had the fish of the day (on the recommendation of our server) and my husband had the pork chop. Both were delicious. French press coffee and dessert were also very tasty. The meal was well-paced. Our server was friendly and very attentive. The only negative--the noise level-- much too high for a relaxing, pleasant experience. What a great choice, though, when attending a performance at Heinz Hall.Special Features:
- DisappointingTinaDined on 9/13/2014Starting off with being seated in the furthest room , last table in the corner and we made reservation for 5pm started off not good. We were moved but had to promise to be out by 6:30! Bad start.. Crab cakes were way "too moist".. Almost raw.. The bar has always been nice but won't be trying dinner again:(Special Features:
- Nice pre-game mealTheMonkDined on 9/13/2014Service was very good, and the cocktail that my partner had was done well. I ordered a $15 glass of french Pinot Noir which turned up tasting terrible. I mentioned this to the server and with argument at all, she changed it and came back with a new glass (presumably taken from a recently opened bottle) that was much better. We had the charcuterie which was very good, including a californian Goat cheese, which was amazing. We then shared the surf 'n turf, which was OK, but nothing special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly menuShayneDined on 9/12/2014My friend is vegetarian and gluten free and I'm a vegetarian and Six Penn was great accommodating our needs. Good was excellent and the chickpea cakes are too die for. Our service was excellent to. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/10/2014Think the food was great! However the server was very annoying, she would continue to interrupt the conversation with silly questions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchluvPghdiningDined on 9/7/2014A wonderful brunch on the roof top during a gorgeous Pittsburgh Sunday!Special Features:
- BrunchMomandMeDined on 9/7/2014Enjoyed Brunch before the theatre...great choice. The food was great, staff wonderful and the walk to the theatre after was just a block. Even thought there was a Steeler game that afternoon, the staff moved the people along and was a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Six Penn has changedlebeukVIPDined on 9/7/2014Change can be a good thing, but unfortunately in the case of Six Penn, we don't like the menu change. We always go there before Steeler games for brunch, but Sunday we found the menu loaded with carbs. We used to love the frittata, quiche, fresh fruit, corned beef hash, etc. Sunday we found the menu leaded with waffles, pancakes, beignets, etc. Yes, they still have omelets, but there is not the variety if you are looking for something that is not sweet.Special Features:
- Great Date NightFoodie5Dined on 9/6/2014Went to Six Penn for my birthday dinner with my boyfriend and it was great! The shrimp and calamari starter is amazing, and was flying out of the kitchen to almost every table while we were there. The seafood risotto was also very good, although could have used a bit more on the pate than a large spoonful. All the other portions of the other meals seemed fairly large, except of the risotto. Overall, it was a great meal and I would go back again!Special Features:
- disappointing for the $$$OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/5/2014Scallop app very good. Caprese app good. Crabcakes - Not Good - pasty, pureed, tasteless. Didn't even eat half of one. Bulgar wheat side had more flavor. Large pork chop - over-brined and translucent through a large part of it (not medium-rare though server insisted that's the way it's prepared). Mac-n-cheese...No cheese taste at all. Just creme sauce with breadcrumbs although pasta was cooked well. Didn't bother with dessert. Server blasé' and not very attentive. Very loud. Open kitchen concept adds to noise, not atmosphere.
- Fabulous eveningRegretfulRitaDined on 8/29/2014We started with cocktails on the rooftop prior to our dinner. Dinner was fabulous, but Sheryl's service really helped create a magical evening for our family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner before Pirate gameSuzqDined on 8/29/2014We have eaten at Six Penn several times and it was always great, but this time something was missing. The waitress was curt and impatient. We sat in a booth by the windows and somehow the area seemed dirty - probably the view caused this feeling. The restaurant wasn't busy and it was a beautiful summer Friday night on a holiday weekend. Other restaurants were booked...
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/29/2014Six Penn Kitchen remains one of our favorite Pittsburgh restaurants!Special Features:
- No FlawssixisatenDined on 8/28/2014Excellent sevice from the time we were greated at the door until we left after our lunch was completed. Unique menu, good prices, and perfect lunch portion size. We dined on the patio and it was perfect! Great experience!Special Features:
- Consistantly Delightfulklb47Dined on 8/27/2014On this, my 4th visit to Six Penn Kitchen, I enjoyed a remarkably good glass of Australian shiraz, a perfectly-sized Caesar salad with two anchovies, and an appetizer portion of a most deliciously prepared goat cheese ravioli with eggplant, mushrooms, asparagus and tomato au jus. The waiter was pleasant and helpful. This "fit for foodies" restaurant's location in the Theatre District makes it an ideal choice for return visits.Special Features:
- Sunday Brunch DeliciousMrsYreviewsDined on 8/24/2014The Sunday Brunch menu provides great choices that are out of the ordinary. I was particularly enamored of the home fries -- chunky potatoes with skins on, cheese and leeks, typifying Six Penn's unique twist on a what could be a common menu item. If I ate wheat, I would have indulged in the house-made beignets! But wait, they are Gluten-Free friendly and happily served my crab BLT sandwich on a salad base instead of a bun. I have also lunched a few times at Six Penn. Thrilled to be seated near the 2nd floor fireplace. Another highlight was July 4th on the roof, where I enjoyed GF pizza. It has a hearth baked, rustic crust, not thick, and could be shared by both GF and non-GF folks. Definitely plan to dine there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date Night!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014I've been to Six Penn a handful of times and it's always a favorite of mine for special dinners :-) This time we went for an anniversary dinner and had a lovely time. In previous visits I had been particularly excited by the vegetarian options but this time the menu had changed. I was a bit disappointed I couldn't get the dishes I had been expecting but our waitress was phenomenal and made some alternate suggestions! The chef came up with an amazing pasta dish for me, not on the menu, and it was one of the most delicious dinners I've ever had. We had a very special anniversary and wonderful food with excellent service.Special Features:
- Went DownhillBessie85Dined on 8/22/2014Not big enough portions, and the sides are less than desireable.Special Features:
- My favorite downtown spotJodiDined on 8/21/2014Six Penn remains my favorite. Service is always spot on, menu is interesting and food is always fresh and delicious!Special Features:
- Great AmbianceIshallreturnDined on 8/16/2014Enjoy the changing menu with the seasons. Have visited on two occasions, and both experiences were delightful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food...great locationChrisDined on 8/16/2014Have eaten here many times and am never dissapointed. The food is exceptional. Selection is limited although I always find something that is pleasing. Location is within walking distance of theaters and sports venues. The service was quick but not rushed. Our waiter Andy was above and beyond.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for LunchJim53VIPDined on 8/15/2014I have had dinner here and it was fun, Lunch was quiet and boring.
- Always a good restaurantBigAugDined on 8/12/2014Whether for lunch, dinner, or after a play, concert or ball game. Six Penn always is a good choice.Special Features:
- yum-ofoodiernDined on 8/9/2014Great pork shank, great homemade gnocchi, great wine, great experienceSpecial Features:
- DisappointingEatoutoftenDined on 8/8/2014We went this past Friday and the noise level was too high. Not only that, but we ordered a burger with no fixings and made it very clear to the waitress and she confirmed, but the burger came out slathered with sauce. We sent it back and had to wait another 15 minutes for a new one. No apology from the manager. The chickpea cakes came out cold and I had them take it off the bill - no apology again. The experience was not worth the $130 bill for 4 - and one of us didn't even have an entre.
- great for lunch too27CCCCDined on 8/7/2014went fo lunch for first time -- just as good as dinnerSpecial Features: