1555 Second Ave.
New York, NY 10028Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://sistinany.com/
- Phone: 2128617660x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Dinner: Sunday- Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Giuseppe Bruno
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Sistina
Sistina restaurant, one of the most highly rated Italian restaurants in New York City, has been impressing its sophisticated clientele for almost 30 years. Host/owner/chef Giuseppe Bruno, the Zagat Survey's "Host of the Year", is responsible for every aspect of his restaurant, from greeting his devoted patrons, to preparing special meals and dishes upon request.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sistina reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (10)fit for foodies (10)neighborhood gem (9)special occasion (8)romantic (5)good for groups (2)great for lunch (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- OMGOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/13/2014I never expected to eat the best Risotto I have ever eaten atSistina. Yes it was a bit overpriced, but... The amount of white tuffles used in the risotto was so abundant that i really cannot complaint. Service....don't know how it coud get better. Can't wait to be back in NYC and visit Sistina againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall thoughts on establishment.JessVIPDined on 9/12/2014Overpriced liquor and food! It seems as though this restaurant is a store front operation with very few customers.
- Favorite NYC restaurantbearVIPDined on 9/10/2014Always refined ,excellent well presented and served food in a very pleasant and upscale environmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodDiane707VIPDined on 8/23/2014Food was excellent however we were taken aback by the prices. There are several italian restaurants in the area as good with half the pricesSpecial Features:
- After 31 years still perfectChrisVIPDined on 8/22/2014What a great restaurant probably the best I have ever eaten. At anywhere in the world.Special Features:
- OneHubOneHubDined on 8/16/2014We have been to Sistina before several years ago. It has been redecorated. Very light crowd on Saturday night. Food was great and the wine list extensive. Had a Gavi which was very good. They even know how to make a Rob Roy which is unusual for a NYC restaurant!!Special Features:
- Very good, butmarkcDined on 6/10/2014Very good, distinctive food. Good service; good ambience; a high-end experience. All that said, at this price point there are many better choices. The 3-4 times mark-up on wine and the $14 for a side of vegetables just leaves a bad taste in one's mouth.Special Features:
- Quiet eleganceYumYumVIPDined on 6/1/2014Lovely white tablecloth elegance with room enough between tables so we could have a private conversation....the room was quiet enough that we weren't shouting at each other. Food was very good. Service was a bit fussy, but attentive and considerate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodLongislanderDined on 5/24/2014Loved the venison carpaccio special. Service was excellent. Pricy but worth itSpecial Features:
- The following 64 reviews are from the Sistina reviews archive.
- Excellent food- tight accomdationLivingston314VIPDined on 5/10/2014The food and presentation was excellent. The restaurant is small and hence the noise level is high. The room should have three tables removed to avoid the feeling of overcrowding. The service was rushed albeit attentive.Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood PlacedoctorDined on 5/4/2014Really enjoyed our experience there-- The service as well as the food was great. We very much enjoyed the staff as well. Had leftovers the next day and loved them.Special Features:
- Best Italian on UESShuttersRegularVIPDined on 4/30/2014We love Sisitina. Dont' be put off by the second ave location surrounded by decidely less classy and high-end estasblishments, we are glad it is there and hope it it will be around for many years to come. Great pasta, fish, and ambienceSpecial Features:
- Certainly a DisappointmentAGK1954Dined on 4/25/2014I had been warned, but I found the wait staff either pushy--blaring high-priced specials and/or wanting truffles added to your dish, literally shoving a jar of them under my nose--or lackadaisical and walking by the table as though fog, despite there being lots of staff. The veal scallopini I ordered was just OK. The wine list was marked up astronomically, with a limited selection of reasonably-priced options. Overall, quite over-rated.
- Neighborhood gemMareDined on 4/11/2014Loved it. Thank you, Sistina. I also appreciate how you guys are one of the better UES establishments, yet still are able to fly under the radar. It all just makes you even more desirable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EhUESMomDined on 3/8/2014My husband and I went at the recommendation of a friend. The food and wine were very good, the service was great but I've had comparable food and wine in the neighborhood that was much less expensive. I guess I would recommend it but I have no desire to return.Special Features:
- i have eaten at sistina manyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/7/2014i have eaten at sistina many times. It has a bit of attitude but the food is consistently excellent. The Branzino was as good as i have had anywhere nad the scallops were exceptional (albeit expensive). clearly there is an "A" list and some people walk in and get a great table and the management jumps to their feet. Others get a "table"mand go un-noticed. regardless it is a first class eating experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was very good.RistoranteUomoVIPDined on 2/26/2014Everything was very good. Service was attentive. While all 3 in my party had the same entree (dover sole) all that it was excellent and among the best that we have ever had, A lot of interesting fresh fish specials. Will definately return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A MUSTNancyDined on 1/25/2014We have tried several times to go and had to cancel for one reason or another, I am so glad I kept it I'm mind. The fresh water scallops prepared in a cauliflower purée with truffle oil were outstanding I would highly recommend them if you go. The service was attentive but not intrusive and the restaurant kept them coming in until late in the evening. Prices are high but it is worthy of every dollar. Will definitely go back and let everyone know about them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dissappointingdebra52Dined on 1/15/2014After the ratings on Zagats, we expected a perfect night all be it expensive. It fulfilled the expensive but was WAY less than wonderful. While the ambiance was wonderful the food was quite simply not. Two people in our party of 4 had veal chop that was so tough it was un-cutable. My food was acceptable but nothing to RAVE about. For a Zagats rating of food as 25 i was expecting to be blown away by more than the VERY expensive tab. i would definitely not recommend this restaurant to anyone. There are so many fabulous restaurants in NYC if you don't have to consider cost, that i would finally say, any one of them would have been a better choice. I hesitate to list them here but do caution other UES to avoid Sistina.
- Elegant restaurant on Second Ave.VictoriaDined on 12/22/2013Giuseppe Bruno and his staff provide an excellent dining experience. The fish selection is fresh and the wine list is extensive. The truffles are a highlight. Would dine here again and recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special night outBrettLDined on 12/22/2013Took my fiancé here, along with my brother and sister-in-law. The service was excellent. The waiters were impressive with their knowledge of the menu. Wine list was extensive and impressive. The food was well prepared and nice to look at and was quite tasty. I thought the price for the 4 of us was reasonable. Overall, we really enjoyed our experience. Would certainly visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We've been here many timessanta32clausVIPDined on 12/21/2013We've been here many times and as always, the food is wonderful. We shared the homemade penne with chicken livers and it was amazing. I can't stop thinking about it. My veal meatballs were also outstanding. Looking forward to my next meal at this lovely restaurant.Special Features:
- Madison Avenue prices on Second AveEdMichaelVIPDined on 12/18/2013Outrageously overpriced so-so food. The 25 page wine list has less than a page worth of wines under $100. The wait staff is programmed to over pour sparkling water and wine to empty out all bottles as quickly as possible. and without consulting the table a second bottle of $8 sparkling water was produced and over poured. Twenty seconds after one waiter pours, another shows up to top it off again. The food is nothing special-- not bad, but not great. but when all the pastas are well in the $22-$30 range, it should have been much better. You certainly aren't paying for location. Fish and meats are $38-$52.. Price is generally something I pay little attention to, but here you just feel that the business is a racket, and you should be wary.
- SistinaRichDined on 12/18/2013I am in NYC several times a year. This is my favorite restaurant in the city. Understated. Neighborhood clientele. Wonderful, experienced staff. Outstanding northern Italian cuisine, unpretentious and yet really quite special.Special Features:
- NYC top ten local restaurant!rdultrachiceventsnycDined on 12/14/2013Best Eastside neighborhood place to dine, five star service ! Every dish served to prefection, have the special signature pasta dish called Sistana to start can't go wrong, perfect winner! Scallops were amazing with cauliflower purée ! If you like chocolate please try the flourless chocolate cake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/6/2013Great service and tasty food. I recommend the truffle pasta!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rome on the upper east sideNeilEDined on 11/29/2013We needed a place for a small group (10) to meet and eat that wasn't too far from the Met Museum. I took a chance and booked here based on some strong on-line reviews. I was extremely impressed with the service and the food. I only sampled my orders and my wife's so I'll recommend the strongest: the asparagus/egg salad, the mushroom risotto (don't miss this, but share it) and the branzino in salt. Everyone was thrilled with the food and the service was friendly but not intrusive. The food prices are reasonable but be aware that the wine list has mainly very expensive wines. There are some more reasonable options but you have to look carefully. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedTonyVIPDined on 11/23/2013With a Zagat 25 rating we were expecting an excellent meal. The $70 per person as per Zagat turned out to be $130 per person with only 2 glasses of wine and no dessert. The specials which sounded special were disappointing. One bright spot was the cheese selection.
- Sure BetRobertDined on 11/20/2013You won't be disappointed--a truly enjoyable dining experience!Special Features:
- Service was uneven. Very attentiveBillVIPDined on 11/15/2013Service was uneven. Very attentive but at least one waiter was lacking knowledge of the food offerings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoy going there.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/14/2013Always enjoy going there. Fantastic food. Comfortable. Enjoy the waiters. A special place for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overrated pricesAnnaVIPDined on 11/8/2013The food is not that good, there are dozens of Italian restaurants where you can find better dishes and more true to the Italian cuisine. Service is good, though we have to spend many minutes listening to one of the waiters reciting like twenty dishes (by heart) which was really quite difficult to remember... Very nice and quite ambiance, but we are not coming back.Special Features:
- Wait wait ; don't tellLiketoeatVIPDined on 11/5/2013It took forever to be served. Then we were told it was our fault. Odd for a local ; but they have attitude because the food is good. Food is good, and expensive; Just not worth the aggravation.Special Features:
- Loved ItLoveFoodVIPDined on 11/1/2013We tried all new restaurants on our last visit to NYC. This is another for the favorite's list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food tradition persistsshellyfDined on 10/19/2013Four of us were seated on a recent satufday evening. We started with one of our all time favorites, the risotto with shaved white truffles. The owner comes over with the truffles lying in arborio rice in a jar and gave each of us a whiff.....oh, what a pungent aroma! He then shaves the fungi all over your risotto right there on your plate. We consummed each forkful in quiet rapture stopping only briefly for a sip of a terrific Brunello. For the entre, my wife had the Dover sole and the other woman, scallops. I had the house made pork sausage on top of a creamy polenta. The other gentleman had rabbit. We enjoyed our entire experience. The entire meal including a $200 bottle of wine, tip, tax and truffles, was $900, about $225/person.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once a Neighborhood GemgreatplaceDined on 9/13/2013Maybe this was an off night for the chef at Sistina. The dinner did not meet the quality expected from a restaurant that has been on the upper eastside for a very long time. It was not just one but, all three of us were disappointed. Not sure we would venture there again as the menu is pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced IcetoniDined on 9/11/2013The wait staff hovered over us and made us feel anxious. We had to ask them to pull back and let us have time to ourselves between courses. What turned us off was that when our waiter explained our dessert choice was that it was a tasting of four flavors. We ordered Granita, which is shaved ice with flavored syrup. It was very good but was charged $40.00. We found that outrageous. The manager didn't do anything when we let him know how we felt. Shrugged his shoulders and said that is how it is. That is the reason why we will never go back.
- Wonderful dining experienceMemiDined on 8/28/2013Food and service are five star! A attentive wait staff, great wines and perfectly prepared dishesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great every timesparklebeeVIPDined on 8/23/2013We live in the neighborhood and go to Sistina regularly. Took some friends this time and they loved it. I had the pork chop special which was very flavorable. The tomato and burrata appetizer special was also great with the farm to table taste on the tomatoes. My wife raved about the asparagus soup. It's not cheap, but you will always get a great meal at Sistina.Special Features:
- DisappointingSB4diningVIPDined on 8/10/2013I would give the service an A+ and the ambience an A+. As for the food - very disappointing.... We were so looking forward to coming here. Ordered a special rigatoni with lobster. It was so bland and the lobster was extremely over cooked. The other entres were just okay - nothing special. None of us ate our dinners. As for the wine list - ridiculously inflated. Most of the wines were over $100. We noticed that only one table in the entire restaurant had a bottle of wine on the table. Everyone was ordering the house wine by the glass, as we did.... Lots of empty tables for a Saturday night.