Sisters at the Martha
150 West Main Street
Abingdon, VA 24210Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Sisters at the Martha
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.themartha.com/dining/sisters-american-grill
- Phone: (276) 628-3161
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Phill Powers
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Sisters at the Martha
With it's intimate, cozy atmosphere and snuggly bar, Sisters has become a local favorite with a menu that adapts frequently to seasonal favorites and freshness.Relax and come casual.Browse the history of a storied past in this nod to the eighty years The Martha spent as a College for young ladies and enjoy some of the best food served anywhere in the region.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Sisters at the Martha - Best Restaurants in Abingdon, VA ›
Sisters at the Martha reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (22)romantic (15)fit for foodies (13)good for groups (11)neighborhood gem (10)notable wine list (6)scenic view (5)late-night find (4)great for brunch (3)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- delicious scallopsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014The scallops were amazing. We aren't foodies, but the presentation was beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ajb5golfDined on 10/31/2014Wonderful food excellent service. Very good at accommodating groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I loved it!!historylover76Dined on 10/31/2014This was such a delightful place to dine. I loved the room, creative decorations, a touch of history and a touch of whimsy. The fried green tomatoes were SO good, so was the trout! We will definitely return!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014Great service! Menu selections were a disappointment, had expected elegant or at least gracious dining but it was rather casual. Menu had meatloaf as a choice - had it been exceptional or out of the ordinary, perhaps it wouldn't have been as offensive. And I did not expect bolgna sandwich as a menu item when booking a restaurant for an classy celebration. Service was great and very responsive. Staff very knowledgeable regarding selections. If I return it will be for drinks at the bar.
- grannyDgrannyDDined on 10/25/2014Food was good but not exceptional; our table was too close to its neighbors, not a great atmosphere but not horrible; good place for pre-theater dining; ambivalent about recommending to others. I think it needs to find a niche, it tries to be too many things- sandwich menu for a nice dinner restaurant seems out of place.I would recommend this to a friend.
- table arrangementcheek2cheekDined on 10/11/2014We really enjoyed the food and the experience and loved the old Inn. On the downside, the tables were too close together. We sat at a table for two, and the tables on each side of us were so close that we felt as though we were at the same table with strangers. It stifled conversation somewhat. Perhaps more space could be put between the tables, or at least turn every other table in the opposite direction.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- refined and relaxinglilliebeckDined on 10/10/2014We enjoyed the wonderful food and relaxed, yet refined atmosphere. Upscale but not stuffy!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historic charmfoodsnobVIPDined on 10/3/2014Lovely dinner with family. Friendly and attentive service. Food, while not exactly inventive was all prepared perfectly. Desserts - especially the flourless chocolate torte were to die for!Special Features:
- great foodfoodieDined on 10/3/2014The food was greatand is recommended for food lovers everywhereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience3puttDined on 9/22/2014The good food and the attentive wait staff made for a memorable experience. And the fact that it occurred in an historic setting made it that much more special! Our compliments to the chef!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at SistersfitzdinerDined on 9/13/2014My husband and I had dinner there on Saturday night. I thought we were seeing the musical at the Barksdale on Friday night so I made reservations for 7:00 on Saturday night. Then when I realized my mistake and they were full on Saturday night, I called down to the restaurant and they were very nice about changing my reservation to an earlier time. My husband enjoyed the ice berg lettuce salad and the meatloaf and mashed potatoes. I LOVED the squash soup and the scallops were the best I had ever eaten..sure wish I had the recipe!! We shared a bread pudding for dessert and it was also tasty. I really recommend eating here. The staff was very friendly and we highly enjoyed our dining experience. The square rolls were awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing RestaurantExiled21Dined on 9/12/2014My and my now fiancée ate at this restaurant moments before I proposed to her. It was a very romantic place to eat at and she described the place as amazing and outstanding. The food was amazing and the ambiance was so good. Will definitely eat here again, it will be a night I will never forget for my entire life.Special Features:
- ExcellentHokieDined on 8/28/2014Our family met at the Sisters at Martha to celebrate by father's 80th birthday. The food was outstanding, sevice excellent and attentive, and the ambiance was perfect. Following dinner we attended the 7:30pm performance at the Barter Theater. I will definitely return on my next trip through Abingdon. Thank you for a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable dinner!pickypeteDined on 8/22/2014We had tickets to the Barter Theatre and wanted a nice dinner beforehand. Sisters at the Martha is located in the Martha Washington Inn, which is directly across the street from the theatre. We had a lovely dinner with good service. Would recommend highly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reunion at SistersLarkDined on 8/15/2014College roommate reunion was appropriately staged at "Sisters" for a delightful dinner in a setting that allowed catching up on years of news. Delightful server was very helpful with questions about the menu. Presentation of the salmon/risotto/asparagus meal was beautiful and flavors were perfectly matched. We dined opposite from the Bar area and our "TV Screen" was showing black and white Charlie Chaplin shorts -- What a hoot! and so period-appropriate for the era of the Martha. Quite a treat for ladies who haven't shared quality time in years! Thank you for a marvelous memory!Special Features:
- 2raccoonsDined on 8/2/2014Some of the wait staff was too loud and took away from the ambience. Wished the food could have come out sooner. Otherwise, we enjoyed the dinner and both the complimentary breakfast and one ordered from the menu the next day.Special Features:
- The following 106 reviews are from the Sisters at the Martha reviews archive.
- Birthday at Sisters at the Martha.NatalieNicoleDined on 7/25/2014I had my 20th birthday here and it was great! The food is awesome and the service is great! Best restaurant in Abingdon by far. Not to mention its location is perfect. While we were waiting for our reservation time we explored the hotel. It was beautiful with rich history! You must go to this restaurant if you are ever in the Abingdon area.Special Features:
- Good SpotMike45Dined on 7/14/2014Nice place, convenient, and good service. Dinner menu a bit disappointing....limited number of entree selections. Salmon was outstanding!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well priced for the ambienceNCgirlDined on 7/12/2014We enjoyed a pre-theatre dinner at Sisters. Portions were modest for some appetizers and entrees (clam fritters and shrimp and grits) but prices were set accordingly. It was nice to have the full menu available for dinner, so that you could get a sandwich or salad if you weren't up for a full entree. The food we had was well prepared and tasty. We had a friendly, attentive waitress. The atmosphere was classic fine hotel dining room, if a little noisy. We would return if we come back to Abingdon.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good entreesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014Great service. Appetizer wasn't great and the dessert was terrible but our server made it right. Salmon and crab cakes were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Experience at Sisters at MarthaeatwellDined on 7/1/2014Our experience was very good. There were three adults a child six and a child nine. We were taken to a walled off alcove, very private and nice. Evidently, when I made the reservations and included the children it was a worry that we might cause problems. Our children have eaten in public since they were born and are very well behave, although I have seen others who were not well behaved. The food was very, very good and served in a timely manner. We had a variety of items. The bread was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special dinner with friendsJeanette1Dined on 6/28/2014first visit and enjoyed location and food. Attended Barter Show and they recommended as a great place to eat before show. the surroundings was like going back in time. Hope to dine again and learn more about the area shops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date NightWesMorrisDined on 6/21/2014Quiet atmosphere for a pleasant evening without the kids. Salmon was outstanding & my wife loved the Shrimp & Grits!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as always!LeighDined on 6/16/2014The menu contains a good selection of small plates (which are quite generous), soups, salads, sandwiches and large plates, and everything we sampled during our three-night stay at The Martha was excellent. Our favorites were the fried green tomatoes and hand-cut steaks! Service was also excellent--attentive and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy and SophisticatedlocalfoodloverDined on 6/1/2014The waitress, Courtney, was fabulous and so personable. She made our 1 year anniversary dinner so enjoyable. The craft beer selection was awesome. They had a great selection and even a few I had never tried before. We had the artisan cheese plate for an appetizer and split the wedge salad. Both were lovely and a great, light start for our meal. My husband had a 12oz ribeye and I had the parmesan chicken pasta. We both all but licked the plate clean. We shared the strawberry cheesecake for dessert which is made by a local bakery and it was the best I've ever had. Definitely a great place to go for a nice dinner and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014Exceptional food, service, and atmosphere. Perfect for dining before the Barter Theater show. Definitely becomes part of the routine when going to the shows.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedDeltasegmentflyDined on 5/18/2014Fine for a resort but better local options by far. Would come back for apps and a drink after a show.
- Date NightBrownEdwardsDined on 5/17/2014This was a wonderful dining experience with a romantic feel, perfect for a special occasion date night. The food tasted great and was a nice light dinner before an enjoyable show at the Barter. Serving sizes weren't great but they were reasonably priced for a restaurant of this quality. Superb service!Special Features:
- Mother's DelightFLnativeDined on 5/11/2014A wonderful experience for Mother's Day or any special occasion. Sunday brunch complete with beautiful live piano music, bountiful delicious food items---smoked salmon, seafood pasta, prime rib slicing station, fresh fruit and salads, pecan pie, carrot cake, and tiramisu, etc. in a lovely, historic hotel. Delightful!Special Features:
- Miss the Old DaysScarlettDined on 5/10/2014For years we have enjoyed celebrating special occassions by dining at The Martha. I must say that I miss the old ambience. Adding the big screen TV, even with the silent movies, as well as some of the decor doesn't fit the dining room. The food is still good, but the vintage atmosphere is fading.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historic VenueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014The restaurant is located in the historic Martha Washington Inn. The grounds are beautiful and convenient to other historic sites in downtown Abingdon. The food and service were ok for the price.Special Features:
- Before the showVirginiaLoversDined on 5/4/2014What a wonderful restaurant to relax and enjoy an outstanding dining experience prior to a theatrical performance.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/20/2014The restraunt was closed yet your app allowed me to make a reservation BIG DISSAPPOINTMENT
- Nice eveningLiketoeatoutDined on 4/2/2014My wife and I had a very nice evening at Sisters. The meal, service, and atmosphere was great.Special Features:
- Elegant dinningtndinerDined on 3/30/2014I It is a very old, beautiful, elegant place. we enjoyed it very much. The menu is limited. It could be pricy, depending on what you get. We don't drink so can't comment on the wine. very romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant EleganceNickDined on 3/22/2014This mini-vacation to Abingdon for my wife and me was accentuated by our visit to The Sisters. The total experience was beyond our expectations in every way! We will definitely return in the near future!Special Features:
- A night at Sisters and the Barter!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/13/2014Everything was wonderful! Lilli took excellent care of us :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly, yet upscale.VeganDined on 3/6/2014We frequently stay at The Martha, and usually eat at Sisters while in Abingdon for the Barter Theatre. We were recognized and greeted after just a couple of visits. It's very convenient to the Barter (right across the street) and has a great kitchen. My Vegan diet is always accommodated nicely.Special Features:
- Nice place to visit for anniversary2NCfolksDined on 3/6/2014Overall, an extremely nice place, good service, good food and great ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sisters DeliversJEstepDined on 2/28/2014This restaurant was the perfect place to celebrate a family birthday! Everyone of us loved the atmosphere & the food!! From the appetizers, to the main coarse & even dessert, it was all delicious!!!! We left the restaurant wanting to come back again soon! Would highly recommend!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.