Sisters at the Martha
150 West Main Street
Abingdon, VA 24210Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Sisters at the Martha
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.themartha.com/dining/sisters-american-grill
- Phone: 2766283161
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Phill Powers
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Sisters at the Martha
With it's intimate, cozy atmosphere and snuggly bar, Sisters has become a local favorite with a menu that adapts frequently to seasonal favorites and freshness.Relax and come casual.Browse the history of a storied past in this nod to the eighty years The Martha spent as a College for young ladies and enjoy some of the best food served anywhere in the region.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Sisters at the Martha - Best Restaurants in Abingdon, VA ›
Sisters at the Martha reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (21)romantic (12)good for groups (9)neighborhood gem (7)fit for foodies (6)great for brunch (5)late-night find (4)scenic view (3)notable wine list (2)great for lunch (1)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Wonderful experience3puttDined on 9/22/2014The good food and the attentive wait staff made for a memorable experience. And the fact that it occurred in an historic setting made it that much more special! Our compliments to the chef!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at SistersfitzdinerDined on 9/13/2014My husband and I had dinner there on Saturday night. I thought we were seeing the musical at the Barksdale on Friday night so I made reservations for 7:00 on Saturday night. Then when I realized my mistake and they were full on Saturday night, I called down to the restaurant and they were very nice about changing my reservation to an earlier time. My husband enjoyed the ice berg lettuce salad and the meatloaf and mashed potatoes. I LOVED the squash soup and the scallops were the best I had ever eaten..sure wish I had the recipe!! We shared a bread pudding for dessert and it was also tasty. I really recommend eating here. The staff was very friendly and we highly enjoyed our dining experience. The square rolls were awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing RestaurantExiled21Dined on 9/12/2014My and my now fiancée ate at this restaurant moments before I proposed to her. It was a very romantic place to eat at and she described the place as amazing and outstanding. The food was amazing and the ambiance was so good. Will definitely eat here again, it will be a night I will never forget for my entire life.Special Features:
- ExcellentHokieDined on 8/28/2014Our family met at the Sisters at Martha to celebrate by father's 80th birthday. The food was outstanding, sevice excellent and attentive, and the ambiance was perfect. Following dinner we attended the 7:30pm performance at the Barter Theater. I will definitely return on my next trip through Abingdon. Thank you for a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable dinner!pickypeteDined on 8/22/2014We had tickets to the Barter Theatre and wanted a nice dinner beforehand. Sisters at the Martha is located in the Martha Washington Inn, which is directly across the street from the theatre. We had a lovely dinner with good service. Would recommend highly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reunion at SistersLarkDined on 8/15/2014College roommate reunion was appropriately staged at "Sisters" for a delightful dinner in a setting that allowed catching up on years of news. Delightful server was very helpful with questions about the menu. Presentation of the salmon/risotto/asparagus meal was beautiful and flavors were perfectly matched. We dined opposite from the Bar area and our "TV Screen" was showing black and white Charlie Chaplin shorts -- What a hoot! and so period-appropriate for the era of the Martha. Quite a treat for ladies who haven't shared quality time in years! Thank you for a marvelous memory!Special Features:
- 2raccoonsDined on 8/2/2014Some of the wait staff was too loud and took away from the ambience. Wished the food could have come out sooner. Otherwise, we enjoyed the dinner and both the complimentary breakfast and one ordered from the menu the next day.Special Features:
- Birthday at Sisters at the Martha.NatalieNicoleDined on 7/25/2014I had my 20th birthday here and it was great! The food is awesome and the service is great! Best restaurant in Abingdon by far. Not to mention its location is perfect. While we were waiting for our reservation time we explored the hotel. It was beautiful with rich history! You must go to this restaurant if you are ever in the Abingdon area.Special Features:
- Good SpotMike45Dined on 7/14/2014Nice place, convenient, and good service. Dinner menu a bit disappointing....limited number of entree selections. Salmon was outstanding!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well priced for the ambienceNCgirlDined on 7/12/2014We enjoyed a pre-theatre dinner at Sisters. Portions were modest for some appetizers and entrees (clam fritters and shrimp and grits) but prices were set accordingly. It was nice to have the full menu available for dinner, so that you could get a sandwich or salad if you weren't up for a full entree. The food we had was well prepared and tasty. We had a friendly, attentive waitress. The atmosphere was classic fine hotel dining room, if a little noisy. We would return if we come back to Abingdon.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good entreesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014Great service. Appetizer wasn't great and the dessert was terrible but our server made it right. Salmon and crab cakes were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Experience at Sisters at MarthaeatwellDined on 7/1/2014Our experience was very good. There were three adults a child six and a child nine. We were taken to a walled off alcove, very private and nice. Evidently, when I made the reservations and included the children it was a worry that we might cause problems. Our children have eaten in public since they were born and are very well behave, although I have seen others who were not well behaved. The food was very, very good and served in a timely manner. We had a variety of items. The bread was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special dinner with friendsJeanette1Dined on 6/28/2014first visit and enjoyed location and food. Attended Barter Show and they recommended as a great place to eat before show. the surroundings was like going back in time. Hope to dine again and learn more about the area shops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date NightWesMorrisDined on 6/21/2014Quiet atmosphere for a pleasant evening without the kids. Salmon was outstanding & my wife loved the Shrimp & Grits!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as always!LeighDined on 6/16/2014The menu contains a good selection of small plates (which are quite generous), soups, salads, sandwiches and large plates, and everything we sampled during our three-night stay at The Martha was excellent. Our favorites were the fried green tomatoes and hand-cut steaks! Service was also excellent--attentive and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 98 reviews are from the Sisters at the Martha reviews archive.
- Cozy and SophisticatedlocalfoodloverDined on 6/1/2014The waitress, Courtney, was fabulous and so personable. She made our 1 year anniversary dinner so enjoyable. The craft beer selection was awesome. They had a great selection and even a few I had never tried before. We had the artisan cheese plate for an appetizer and split the wedge salad. Both were lovely and a great, light start for our meal. My husband had a 12oz ribeye and I had the parmesan chicken pasta. We both all but licked the plate clean. We shared the strawberry cheesecake for dessert which is made by a local bakery and it was the best I've ever had. Definitely a great place to go for a nice dinner and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014Exceptional food, service, and atmosphere. Perfect for dining before the Barter Theater show. Definitely becomes part of the routine when going to the shows.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedDeltasegmentflyDined on 5/18/2014Fine for a resort but better local options by far. Would come back for apps and a drink after a show.
- Date NightBrownEdwardsDined on 5/17/2014This was a wonderful dining experience with a romantic feel, perfect for a special occasion date night. The food tasted great and was a nice light dinner before an enjoyable show at the Barter. Serving sizes weren't great but they were reasonably priced for a restaurant of this quality. Superb service!Special Features:
- Mother's DelightFLnativeDined on 5/11/2014A wonderful experience for Mother's Day or any special occasion. Sunday brunch complete with beautiful live piano music, bountiful delicious food items---smoked salmon, seafood pasta, prime rib slicing station, fresh fruit and salads, pecan pie, carrot cake, and tiramisu, etc. in a lovely, historic hotel. Delightful!Special Features:
- Miss the Old DaysScarlettDined on 5/10/2014For years we have enjoyed celebrating special occassions by dining at The Martha. I must say that I miss the old ambience. Adding the big screen TV, even with the silent movies, as well as some of the decor doesn't fit the dining room. The food is still good, but the vintage atmosphere is fading.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historic VenueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014The restaurant is located in the historic Martha Washington Inn. The grounds are beautiful and convenient to other historic sites in downtown Abingdon. The food and service were ok for the price.Special Features:
- Before the showVirginiaLoversDined on 5/4/2014What a wonderful restaurant to relax and enjoy an outstanding dining experience prior to a theatrical performance.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/20/2014The restraunt was closed yet your app allowed me to make a reservation BIG DISSAPPOINTMENT
- Nice eveningLiketoeatoutDined on 4/2/2014My wife and I had a very nice evening at Sisters. The meal, service, and atmosphere was great.Special Features:
- Elegant dinningtndinerDined on 3/30/2014I It is a very old, beautiful, elegant place. we enjoyed it very much. The menu is limited. It could be pricy, depending on what you get. We don't drink so can't comment on the wine. very romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant EleganceNickDined on 3/22/2014This mini-vacation to Abingdon for my wife and me was accentuated by our visit to The Sisters. The total experience was beyond our expectations in every way! We will definitely return in the near future!Special Features:
- A night at Sisters and the Barter!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/13/2014Everything was wonderful! Lilli took excellent care of us :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly, yet upscale.VeganDined on 3/6/2014We frequently stay at The Martha, and usually eat at Sisters while in Abingdon for the Barter Theatre. We were recognized and greeted after just a couple of visits. It's very convenient to the Barter (right across the street) and has a great kitchen. My Vegan diet is always accommodated nicely.Special Features:
- Nice place to visit for anniversary2NCfolksDined on 3/6/2014Overall, an extremely nice place, good service, good food and great ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sisters DeliversJEstepDined on 2/28/2014This restaurant was the perfect place to celebrate a family birthday! Everyone of us loved the atmosphere & the food!! From the appetizers, to the main coarse & even dessert, it was all delicious!!!! We left the restaurant wanting to come back again soon! Would highly recommend!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatcybercDined on 2/15/2014We dined two evenings at Sisters and both experiences were wonderful! Great friendly staff and the food was absolutely delicious. I'm not a salmon fan but decided to give the cast iron salmon a try and definitely wasn't disappointed and will have it again. A must on our list of "to dos" is to return and try the(much talked about shrimp and grits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ENJOYABLE WINTER OUTINGTWO4DININGOUTDined on 2/9/2014LOVELY SETTING, GREAT SERVICE, FOOD WAS WELL PREPARED AND HAD A DIVERSE MENU. I THINK THE MENU WAS A LITTLE LIMITED BUT I BELIEVE IT WAS DUE TO THE WINTER SEASON WITH A MUCH REDUCED CLIENTELE RELATED TO THE FIRST RATE HOTEL WHERE THE RESTAURANT IS LOCATED. I WOULD THINK THAT THE MENU WILL BE ENHANCED ONCE THE SEASON IS IN FULL SWING. IT IS NICE TO BE ABLE TO REVIEW THE MENU AND BOOK A TABLE. THE AREA IS A STRONG TOURIST AREA AND THE BARTER THEATER IS A NATIONAL DRAW.Special Features:
- Relaxing and enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/17/2013Had a wonderful experience at The Sisters. It was relaxing, no rush to order or finish. The server was vey pleasant and accommodating and the food was delicious. Great wine selection. Will definetly come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Martha-the best!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/14/2013Just a casual night before The Barter with friends who had never dined and it was more than they expected and we were overwhelmed again. The Martha 'nuff said.'Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dine at martha washingtonliv2indulgeDined on 12/6/2013My group was disappointed with the taste of the food, the selection was great but just a bland taste. Our waitress lacked the knowledge of the types of drinks, she had to go ask the bartender, and service was very slow.Special Features:
- An Appropriate ThanksgivingWellfedDined on 11/28/2013Considering that it was an extraordinary occasion, and we dined in the ballroom, not the restaurant, I'd say it was a festive way to observe Thanksgiving not at home and surrounded by family. The piano music was a stellar addition. And the food was fresh and attractive and plentiful. And we were the last seating! Martha Washington Inn is to be commended for running things smoothly and efficiently.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Adequate but very over pricedGBWinstonSalemNCDined on 11/23/2013Ddisappointing . The food was not bad, but certainly not exceptional considering the cost. Four of us dined with three different dishes. Neither of these entrees was exceptional in any way considering they were priced 15% to 20 % above the value received. The house wine was good but not $9 dollar a glass good, more like $7 to $7.5 a glass. We four guests shared two butter pecan cheesecakes which were only average in taste and presentation. This appeared to be not in house prepared but more outhouse. When I return to the beautiful Martha Washington Inn and am forced to dine there I will go to the bar and grab a cheeseburger and beer, unless of course I am made aware of changes in the Sisters Restaurant. $225 lighter but wiser indeed!
- Great place for an aniversary celebDine4luvDined on 11/13/2013Sisters at Martha Washington Inn, Abingdon, VA has an early 20s ambiance but a modern menu and great service. We've eaten there 4-5 times, and each time enjoyed it more. Convenient to the Barter Theatre, and steeped in history. Parking is convenient yet valet service is available. Server was attentive, yet not overly so. My wife and I are sure to dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a must visitglendoraDined on 10/26/2013Sisters at MWI was a wonderful experience from beginning to end. For our anniversary, we had private seating, excellent food and wine, and attentive but not overly so, waitstaff. We will definately come again when we are in the area and we highly recommmend it for others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.