Sissy's Southern Kitchen & Bar
2929 N Henderson Ave
Dallas, TX 75206Neighborhood:
Knox / Henderson
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
Sissy's Southern Kitchen & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://sissyssouthernkitchen.com/
- Phone: (214) 827-9900
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Thursday- Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Low Country, Southern
- Executive Chef: Lisa Garza & Juan Morales
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Sissy’s Southern Kitchen & Bar Catering is a full-service caterer and luxury event specialist. Whether you are planning a large or intimate gathering, our staff will tend to all of your catering preferences. Sissy’s Catering specializes in providing the highest quality cuisine, service and style.
- Entertainment: On special occasions we will have live music performed by local musicians after dinner service.
- Special Events: Sissy’s Southern Kitchen & Bar is available for private events seven days a week. We offer event packages that include brunch, high tea, showers, luncheons, cocktail parties, business meetings and seated dinners. Private event menus are custom designed based on the clients preferences, budget and number of guests.
We offer design and full-service event coordination for any occasion. Whether you are interested in a seated dinner or a beautiful grand buffet, Sissy’s will tend to your every need.
A word from Sissy's Southern Kitchen & Bar
Sissy's Southern Kitchen & Bar provides our guests a comfortable atmosphere to enjoy tasty vittles, lively libations, with attentive service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sissy's Southern Kitchen & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
130 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (67)fit for foodies (64)hot spot (42)good for groups (41)special occasion (37)great for lunch (35)great for brunch (25)romantic (20)vibrant bar scene (20)late-night find (12)great for outdoor dining (9)kid-friendly (7)notable wine list (6)scenic view (1)Show More
- Home cooking with a twistRChilcoatDined on 11/22/2014This was the second time I've gone to Sissy's Southern kitchen and it was nothing short of amazing. The food is incredible. I love that they are old southern dishes that are cooked to perfection. The drink menu is outstanding too and the staff are great at recommending drinks to accompany your meal. I highly recommend trying Sissy's out, you won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food-feels like your Grandma's table!NickyBeeDined on 11/18/2014Loved the decor and the atmosphere! Parking is a nightmare, but there is complimentary valet service. Inside the restaurant is a little bit dark and the place got very noisy..........even on a Tuesday night it was a packed house. But the food is fabulous. Homestyle food but the taste is better than anything my family members could ever make.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fried chicken!luncharoundDined on 11/14/2014Fried green tomatoes appetizer was delicious, and the fried chicken was delicious. I didn't care for the coleslaw - too vinegary for my taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for an intimate dinner partyLauraDDined on 11/12/2014My family and I came here for my birthday and had a great experience. Our server was sweet and friendly, the food was delectable and the restaurant atmosphere was cozy yet chic. I'd highly recommend this place for a date night, business dinner, or special occasions. The sides are incredible and you don't want to miss out - so I would recommend the family-style approach to ordering. Also - make sure to have a few bucks on you to tip the valet. It's complimentary and by far the easiest way to park here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good lunchBilly525VIPDined on 11/12/2014After a couple of hiccups upon arrival, we were most pleased with our lunch today at Sissy's. The facility, itself, was rather bland and boring, and the stuffed deer on the wall didn't help. The fried chicken was good (Hattie's is better); the fried okra was VERY salty; Texas caviar was excellent; and the jalapeno cornbread to die for! Our server, China, was lovely and friendly. Overall, a nice meal and we would definitely return for a second!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best fried chickenSconnieYanniDined on 11/7/2014Great service! Awesome cocktails. Order the fried chicken bucket and mashed potatoes. Mac n cheese okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sissy's Divine DiningBraveheartVIPDined on 11/7/2014The epitome of Southern Comfort Food can be found here at Sissy's. From the perfect fried chicken to the Shrimp and Grits, the entrees were fantastic. The vegetables (Mac and cheese, squash casserole) were so good, getting a veggie plate would be a great way to go. And finally dessert, all good choices but the bread pudding and the chocolate cake topped off the evening with flourish. The only negative at all was this is a loud place, some would call it energetic...or loud.Special Features:
- Gret Placermj5037Dined on 11/7/2014Great quant place to take a date, etc. Love the ambiance and mood. Food is great as well!Special Features:
- Good food - Bad ServicePennyVIPDined on 11/7/2014Our waiter forgot about us on several occasions. We had to ask for our cocktails 3 times (over 30 minutes) and then our appetizer came out with our main course. Food was amazing but bring your patience. Manager was nowhere to be seen.
- PuzzlingTenorDined on 11/6/2014Some of the food was great! Chicken was a bit darkly fried, but leg was amazing; breast was too small, and had an unedible end that was not small that was fat & bone...was surprised that would come out of this kitchen. Collard greens were awesome; Sissy's take on mojito was great! Squash puppies were not as good as last time, when they were light and amazing...heavy, and doughy and more like hush puppies this timeSpecial Features:
- Great place !execproducerDined on 11/4/2014Sissy's is great! Food is delicious, service is awesome and ambience is fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great southern foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/1/2014The food was amazing. The fried chicken is great. Every thing I ate there made your head turn and say wow. Service and waiter was perfect. I would go back in a second.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceMJDfoodguruDined on 10/30/2014I have been here a few times and love the way they prepare their food. The service is excellent and our servers are alway very promt and knowledgeable about the entire menu. Definitely worth a visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love Sissy'scoppellcowboyDined on 10/25/2014My wife and I are making Sissy's our new favorite spot. Great Service! Great Food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good timeWeeknightDinerDined on 10/21/2014Yummy! Nice for lunch with a girlfriend. Parking is difficult but valet is available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Great ServiceBrandonDined on 10/18/2014The food is amazing and the menu offers plenty to choose from. However just get the fried chicken and you will not go wrong. The cocktail menu is different but awesome. The cocktails are "crafted" to perfection and are made with fresh ingredients. I will be going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- upscale soul foodLinzDined on 10/10/2014Great experience from the food to drinks to service!Special Features:
- OUTSTANDINGgwenrwDined on 10/4/2014I've eaten a lot of fried chicken in my day and I think this was some of the VERY BEST!! The chicken was crispy on the outside and juicy and tender on the inside. The service was great also. We will definitely go back!!Special Features:
- Fried ChickenMjwvillDined on 10/1/2014The fried chicken was excellent. Crispy, spicey, and really good with the mashed potatoes. Valet parking very convenient. Prompt service. We'll be sure to go there again.Special Features:
- Great find!FunFindDined on 9/30/2014We were given a gift card. Until then we had never heard if Sissy's Southern Kitchen. Great food. Fun atmosphere. Friendly staff. Dessert is a must have. Very well run restaurant and super service. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new find!AfanDined on 9/27/2014A taste of the old favorites kicked up a notch. The food was very good and service was great! Had the fried chicken and the squash balls with the jalepeno Jam, yum! The collards packed an extra kick with hot peppers but were a nice pairing with the creamy mashed potatoes. Can't wait to go back. In addition to the wonderful regular menu, there were many off menu items that night that are definitely worth trying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but....PlanoBobVIPDined on 9/26/2014Definitely will go again. Service was very attentive. The only draw back was they brought ALL our food at one time including our appetizer. Also, cocktails - not enough ice and what was there melted quickly.Special Features:
- Good food, poor servicej00hn7Dined on 9/24/2014The food was good, but the service was horrible. We had to wait 20-30 minutes until our server came to take our order. I was afraid that it would take another 20-30 minutes for our food to arrive, but that came out in a fair amount of time. Our server was also rude during the checkout process. I would recommend this restaurant only for the food, but I would not recommend this restaurant because of the poor service that I experienced.Special Features:
- Liked it very muchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/23/2014Overall our experience at Sissy's was great. The wine list had some errors and misspellings which unfortunately annoys me. The food was great although the fried chicken was not as crispy as I would have liked... it did have amazing flavor and was a bargain at $11. Drinks were fabulous and the server was great - I would go back just for him!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DocHossDocHossDined on 9/22/2014The chicken was very good but appetizers, sides were pricey...and a small bowl of mash potatoes to go along with a bucket of 10 pieces of chicken wasn't enough...had to order another bowl. Also I was surprised the bisquits / cornbread wasn't included with chicken.Special Features:
- Just O KElieDined on 9/20/2014I think it was an off day mostly for me. I think I was expecting too much. The good thing was that they accommodated 3 more people than we had reservations for. A last minute change. I like the fried chicken better at Bubbas but our group was happy with their orders. I would Order differently next time. We would go again, maybe on a day I felt better.Special Features:
- Always good!dallasfoodieDined on 9/19/2014Sissy's fried green tomatoes are the best! Their specials are always amazing, but so is the rest the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Be careful what you order...MhawtofVIPDined on 9/15/2014I ordered the filet for $38. It was over cooked, dry and salty... The meat was cooked differently than I expected too. I think your safer ordering the comfort foods here. The price was not worth it...unfortunately. Stick to the fried options here, not the 'heathy' options. Service was great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch meetingBigTexDined on 9/15/2014On the pricey side. Chicken was excellent, not that big of pieces. Small potions of the mash potatoes. For $11.00 I should get at least twice the amount. Got a basket of biscuits, good. Asked for honey charged me a $1.00 for about a spoon full.Special Features:
- AccomodatingpickyDined on 9/12/2014I set a reservation for 6:45 on my Open Table App which apparently showed up at 9pm. When we got to the restaurant at 6:45pm the staff worked to accommodate us and set us in the parlor which was even better for us (one of our party is handicapped). Our waitress was fantastic and everyone was very nice and kept checking on us to make sure we were ok. Thank you so much for taking care of us, the food was fantastic but the service was somehow better!! Katherine PierceSpecial Features:
- Fried Chicken to Die ForOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/12/2014Get there early for a drink and relax. Then order a bucket of chicken, mashed potatoes, and greens and it is a fabulous meal. Take any leftover chicken home for lunch or dinner the next few days and you will be happy you did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall a good experienceAcceptableVIPDined on 9/12/2014Expansive choice of entrees, and each had a unique flavor and presentation Service was spotty at times but this appeared to be due to a lack of number of servers Sitting in the terrace area was a downgrade compared to the dining roomSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Sissy!!love2dineDined on 9/6/2014Great service and amazing food! Loved Sissy's from the start! Don't miss it!Special Features:
- Great service, uneven foodsweettoothDined on 9/5/2014Our waitress was excellent--smiling, responsive and energetic. Food was less successful, especially the entrees. House specialty (fried chicken) was greasy; redfish portion was small and was crunchy and hard. The hush puppies, biscuits, honey butter, jalepeno jelly and grits were very good--even purchased some of the jelly. Macaroni and cheese was flavorless and mashed potatoes served with chicken were cold and small portion. Liked the place but doubt we will return because food was so inconsistent and not worth the price.
- I really wanted to like this placedsherDined on 9/3/2014We are always looking for new places to try to get out of the rut of Mexican food. I really wanted to like Sissy's but when there is so little food on the plates that my 11-year-old leaves hungry, that doesn't work. The food tasted good (we had short ribs, fried chicken and pork chop) but they were ridiculously small portions. I was afraid to even try my son's short ribs because he would not have enough to eat. My husband's fried chicken pieces (all white) were so small that they looked like KFC. We had an appetizer and a chopped salad which were both yummy but the $9 salad had less than 1/2 cup of lettuce on the plate. Our family of Four left this restaurant hungry and it still cost over $180. Not going back.Special Features:
- Awesome Service!desiDined on 9/2/2014I appreciate everybody being so amicable! I was having a birthday dinner for my boyfriend and they let me bring in his present before hand and set it up so his present would be waiting at the table already when we were seated! It was awesome and I am happy they were able to work with me!Special Features:
- GreggVIPDined on 8/29/2014First time here and we will be back. The food was as tasty as any old time southern family could prepare. Collard greens were fresh and spiced just right and the Mac and cheese was crunchy on top and cheesy inside. The only negative is the bar tender was very un attentive as we were unable to get a drink and then impossible to get our bill. Small inconvenience to a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great wine guy!MavsFanVIPDined on 8/28/2014Ben the wine guy there is great! Very knowledgeable and recommended a great wine. He was the high point of our visit. The food was good, but not great. The fried chicken and fried green tomatoes were good, but the batter was heavy - not what I expected from their specialty dishes. The short ribs were tender and fell off the bone - but no sauce, so they tasted more like pot roast than short ribs. Overall, we were a little disappointed - but will probably go back and visit the bar for a bottle of wine.Special Features:
- ElizabethElizabethVIPDined on 8/28/2014Bubba's is tremedously better------------Sissy's biscuits were merely ok & served w/over whipped semi-butter; the deviled eggs without the tiny bit of caviar would have been even more average, the gravy was fairly tasteless, the coleslaw was soupy, and part of the chicken crust was way over cooked. This meal must taste much better w/some of the scrumptious sounding drinks on their menu. Oh, and the server forgot to even ask if we wanted dessert.
- Excellent restaurantJasminDined on 8/27/2014Excellent food - we all went for the fried chicken option. The waitress provided her own recommendations... Good cocktail menu too. It was our first time in Dallas, and the waitress went out of her way to recommend other hot spots in town and have us a list of 'must see' places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.