Sissy's Southern Kitchen & Bar
2929 N Henderson Ave
Dallas, TX 75206Neighborhood:
Knox / Henderson
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
Sissy's Southern Kitchen & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://sissyssouthernkitchen.com/
- Phone: 2148279900x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Thursday- Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Low Country, Southern
- Executive Chef: Lisa Garza & Juan Morales
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Sissy’s Southern Kitchen & Bar Catering is a full-service caterer and luxury event specialist. Whether you are planning a large or intimate gathering, our staff will tend to all of your catering preferences. Sissy’s Catering specializes in providing the highest quality cuisine, service and style.
- Entertainment: On special occasions we will have live music performed by local musicians after dinner service.
- Special Events: Sissy’s Southern Kitchen & Bar is available for private events seven days a week. We offer event packages that include brunch, high tea, showers, luncheons, cocktail parties, business meetings and seated dinners. Private event menus are custom designed based on the clients preferences, budget and number of guests.
We offer design and full-service event coordination for any occasion. Whether you are interested in a seated dinner or a beautiful grand buffet, Sissy’s will tend to your every need.
A word from Sissy's Southern Kitchen & Bar
Sissy's Southern Kitchen & Bar provides our guests a comfortable atmosphere to enjoy tasty vittles, lively libations, with attentive service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sissy's Southern Kitchen & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
155 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (79)fit for foodies (77)special occasion (67)good for groups (47)great for lunch (43)great for brunch (41)hot spot (32)romantic (24)vibrant bar scene (21)great for outdoor dining (17)late-night find (13)kid-friendly (8)notable wine list (6)scenic view (1)Show More
- GreggVIPDined on 8/29/2014First time here and we will be back. The food was as tasty as any old time southern family could prepare. Collard greens were fresh and spiced just right and the Mac and cheese was crunchy on top and cheesy inside. The only negative is the bar tender was very un attentive as we were unable to get a drink and then impossible to get our bill. Small inconvenience to a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great wine guy!MavsFanVIPDined on 8/28/2014Ben the wine guy there is great! Very knowledgeable and recommended a great wine. He was the high point of our visit. The food was good, but not great. The fried chicken and fried green tomatoes were good, but the batter was heavy - not what I expected from their specialty dishes. The short ribs were tender and fell off the bone - but no sauce, so they tasted more like pot roast than short ribs. Overall, we were a little disappointed - but will probably go back and visit the bar for a bottle of wine.Special Features:
- ElizabethElizabethVIPDined on 8/28/2014Bubba's is tremedously better------------Sissy's biscuits were merely ok & served w/over whipped semi-butter; the deviled eggs without the tiny bit of caviar would have been even more average, the gravy was fairly tasteless, the coleslaw was soupy, and part of the chicken crust was way over cooked. This meal must taste much better w/some of the scrumptious sounding drinks on their menu. Oh, and the server forgot to even ask if we wanted dessert.
- Excellent restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Excellent food - we all went for the fried chicken option. The waitress provided her own recommendations... Good cocktail menu too. It was our first time in Dallas, and the waitress went out of her way to recommend other hot spots in town and have us a list of 'must see' places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We Don't Have That EitherOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/27/2014The evening started well;the staff greeted us warmly at the door, and we were shown to our table quickly. The decor and ambience were delightful. Our server promptly came to take our drink order. I requested a drink off the specials chalkboard. "I'm sorry, we're out of that." My husband ordered a beer - they were out of that, too. Another ordered a glass of wine; didn't have that either. It was a frustrating and disappointing beginning to the meal. Entree items sounded wonderful, were well prepared, but weren't extraordinary. The two orders of chicken and dumplings had absolutely no dumplings, and very little chicken. At the end of the evening, we all felt awful, as though we had been to a high-end version of the state fair.
- Meh.AllisonRDined on 8/25/2014I'd describe my experience at Sissy's as "fine." I ate here with a friend on a Monday evening to celebrate her birthday. I found nothing exceptional and, from my point of view, nothing worthwhile for which to return. The food was fine. Not good, not great, just fine. The service was disinterested at best and absent at worst. As an example, my friend and I waited for quite some time for a server to pass by our table to request a fork for dessert, since no dessert forks were provided to us when we were served. The fried green tomato appetizer was the best part of the meal, and it all went downhill from there. I've had much better meals (particularly fried chicken, which Sissy's touts as a specialty) at numerous other DFW area restaurants.
- Good comfort foodMabriejDined on 8/25/2014The porch is my favorite place to sit with a large group. The food is perfect when you need a little fried comfort food. Service was a little slow for a Monday but the gentleman at the host station was lovely and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service problem sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Charged us for an item my wife and I did not order. We ordered 2 appetizers which they forgot to give to the cooks and didn't bring out till we were already eating the main course. When we told this to the waitress she said it wasn't her fault. She pretty much DID NOTHING.Special Features:
- expensive deliciousnessZeekaybeeDined on 8/21/2014This is NOT diet food friendly. Everything is seriously delicious and very hefty portions...and expensive. Come for a special occasion and enjoyed best in groupsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wanted everything on the menu!IlovefoodDined on 8/18/2014We started with the wonderful purple hull pea cakes. Then our party of three ordered the chicken bucket with delicious mashed potatoes and side of oven roasted greens to insure that we had something to take home. One had shrimp and grits and another the Muffaletta sandwich with coleslaw. We would love to have all of these again on our return visit. But, there are so many other equally great choices on the menu (Squash Puppies, Cast Iron Texas Quail, etc....! ), it will take months to make it back around to the original excellent fare!Special Features:
- Less than favorable experienceCusdineDined on 8/9/2014Slow service. Wine didn't arrive til meal was almost over. Ordered the quail. Took bite...it was rare. Couldn't find the waitress to let her know. Was starving. Cked the second quail. Second quail was cooked (delicious). Started to eat my 2nd quail. Finally, the waitress showed up. I informed the waitress. She asked for my plate to show the chef. Didn't return til my husband had finished his meal. Asked if I wanted another quail. Never offered to take care of anything. Never returned my existing plate. Left hungry! POOR SERVICE! Unacceptable!!!Special Features:
- My NewFavorite PlaceFoodie4lifeDined on 8/9/2014I have yet to be disappointed in this resturant and have taken 3 different groups there. I will have my birthday party in their private room and really want to try their brunch. I highly recommend the purple hull peas, fried green tomatoes, cornbread, catfish, Mac n cheese, and short ribs. The pecan pie and moonshine is enough to make a reservation. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedDallasDinetteVIPDined on 8/9/2014I'd been anxiously waiting to dine at Sissy's after all of the rave reviews I have read and heard about. Yes, the Mac & Cheese was delicious (probably because it was the only dish that arrived piping hot). Most of the food was under-seasoned (squash puppies especially). My fried chicken and mashed potatoes arrived luke warm at best - same with the grits. The "famous" cole slaw was very runny and overall just didn't taste right. We were seated at my reservation time at 8 and we were finished eating by 9. We didn't leave the restaurant until 10 due to our waitress seemingly disappearing. Aside from seeming unengaged throughout the entire evening, this was the most frustrating.Special Features:
- Dinner with FriendsBrunchDined on 8/5/2014We celebrated a birthday at Sissy's. We loved the atmosphere and the food was very good. Had the Fried Green Tomatoes, which were excellent and Shrimp and Grits which were also very good. The portions are very generous and we would definitely go back and recommend the Southern Cooking to our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Southern Style Cuisinechis1222Dined on 8/2/2014We were celebrating my husband's birthday and decided to try Sissy's as my daughter had recommended. Living in Fort Worth, we go to Babe's for our fried chicken fix so naturally we had to compare. Even though the fried chicken was good at Sissy's, it did not compare to the flavor of Babe's. But, Sissy's had a variety of sides that were delicious. The mac-n-cheese was probably the BEST we've ever eaten, collard greens and fried okra were excellent. My husband had the chocolate cake and shared with our daughter and friend and they all loved it! I had the bread pudding and it was awesome as well! Our group shared the carafe of Mimosa's before we had lunch which was fun! We definitely would return as we had an enjoyable time!Special Features:
- WONDERFUL!kateecatDined on 8/1/2014I took my dad here as a surprise after we have been talking about going since it opened. I had a great time! Food was wonderful, service was great, we came right before it got busy so we were the only people in the place for awhile. It was just great. I highly recommend Sissy's for any birthday or special occasion. I just wish we had gotten to sit outside.Special Features:
- Not worth the HYPEStolarmomDined on 7/30/2014I did not like anything about Sissy's except the decor and the fried oysters. The rest was totally not worth the money. And the service - awful. Our waitress acted like we were annoying her to take our order. When my daughter wanted to add another entree (and increase the bill/tip) she nearly huffed at us. The rest of the night did not go any better. Incorrect orders, no service, etc. etc. I tried to write the entire experience and the character limit cut me off. Just don't go. You will be disappointed like us and it was our friend's 50th Birthday. ugh. We can't get that back.
- Delicious lunch!FoodiesDined on 7/29/2014I loved the food! Innovative and delicious. The service was outstanding as well.Special Features:
- horrible receptionliveforloveVIPDined on 7/26/2014upon arrival for a 5:pm reservation for 2 and only a few other people seated at the restaurant, the hostess proceeded to seat us at the worst 2-top table in the dining room. As all other 2 (and 4) top tables were open we asked if it would be ok to sit in a nicer area. She said to wait and disappeared. We stood in the middle of the restaurant for 5 minutes. We then decided to take a seat in what was a comfortable spot but certainly not the best. She then returned and told us we needed to move to another table. It was absolutely the worst reception you could anticipate considering the number of people in the restaurant. Management should take a look at how they train their employees. Food was OK but did not make up for this.
- I love this place, but ...Troy16Dined on 7/25/2014The service has been pretty poor the last three times I have eaten here. In all three instances, it took a server forever to acknowledge us and take our orders. Then, after we place the orders, the server would become a ghost -- nowhere to be found. This saddens me because I love this place, but the service needs work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun little place to dineOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/25/2014enjoyed our lunch at sissy's. shared an app, salad, and entree - all were yummy. will return for lunch again definitely.Special Features:
- Fancy SouthernduofoodieDined on 7/23/2014Delicious!!! Great great food, good service. Not cheap but the food was worth it. We want to go back and try the fried chicken. The shrimp grits, chocolate cake, bread pudding and mac and cheese were ridiculously good!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Birthday Celebration SpotPlouiseyDined on 7/22/2014I love Sissy's and have introduced my family on different occasions. This visit was to celebrate a birthday for my niece who is 35. Perfect setting, great food and setting. Even my sister, the cook of our family, was impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/21/2014I went to Sissy's for dinner on Monday with friends. It was my first time and I really enjoyed their foods, service, and ambience. I highly recommend their bucket sized fried chicekn and Mac and cheese.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/21/2014The fried chicken was a good as my friend promised--reminded me of my grandmother's. Want to go back to try a number of other items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food but noisyViscountDined on 7/19/2014We love Sissy's, but it is almost impossible to get in. The decor is gorgeous, but there is nothing to absorb the sound, so the dining room is very noisy. However, the cocktails, food, and especially dessert are worth it!Special Features:
- yummy!!idriveworldwideDined on 7/19/2014I'm becoming a peace tartan , and the special entrée of the night with lobster was amazing!! The okra is always on point. I'll be back..spoken like the terminator!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but really loudwoodroeDined on 7/19/2014Consistently good food hear and excellent cocktail menu with some interesting things on it. Ths problem with this place is the patio seating. If you get seated out there and you are not part of a really large group, you may be a little overwhelmed. Really loud with the tile floor and plastic roof. Try to sit inside if you've got fewer than 6 people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall great experienceIslandermom40Dined on 7/19/2014We visited Sissy's for the first time on Saturday. The fried green tomatoes with the shrimp remoulade was fantastic. The other appetizer we ordered, the crispy ribs were dry and a little under seasoned and sauce with them not remarkable. The gumbo was great! My husband had the quail, which was very well prepared and I had the pork chop, which I loved. Then dessert, where we tried the Better than Sex Chocolate Cake. It was so rich. I just wish it had a little more of the crunchy peanut sauce. I loved that part and next time will ask for more. Other all a great experience. I will go again!!Special Features:
- Awesome Food and ServicePatrick0718Dined on 7/18/2014We came to celebrate. Friends had told us we were in for a special treat at Sissy's Southern Kitchen and Bar. First, we had Fried Green Tomatoes and the Wedge Salad. Excellent. We were tempted by the Specials. We had the Pecan Crusted Troat from those and the Short Ribs. We finished with the Buttermilk Pecan Pie, which was not impressive. Overall it was exceptional. Our waitress was attentive, efficient and friendly. We will go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Friendly Dining ExperienceDeliciousDined on 7/18/2014From the moment you are greeted at the door this restaurant is a delightful experience. The staff was knowledgeable and pleasant, along with a deliciously diverse menu. The atmosphere was inviting and comfortable yet with a rustic down home appeal. The food was brought out in a timely fashion and was just as tasty as imagined. I would recommend this for a great low key dinner and lunch restaurant with wonderful food and a comfortable and relaxing bar area.Special Features:
- Cuisine and Noise level - both highDaveDined on 7/12/2014Roasted Redfish with sweet corn was a perfection. Our second time visiting - the food seleciton is spot on. Was seated in the side paito area on this occasion. Quickly overwhelmed by loud conversations. Will ask for main dining area on next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family LunchJMyummyDined on 7/12/2014We had a delightful time. We ordered the fried chicken bucket along with a few appetizers and several sides. The family style presentation fit our occasion perfectly. We were all wowed by the desserts, but all of the food was extremely tasty. Our waitress was very friendly and attentive. The noise level is high, but it did not detract from our enjoyment. This was my second visit to Sissy's. I am sure to return to keep trying out the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!SheliaBHDined on 7/11/2014Everything we ate was amazing...fried green tomatoes, okra, green beans, asparagus, Deviled eggs...a must try is the fried chicken!! The chicken is hands down the best I have EVER tasted and I'm from Georgia :) Make your reservation NOW!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/9/2014Ate at the bar. Terrific cocktails. Wonderful food. Friendly service from front door throughout the rest of our meal. Can't wait to come back. Fortunate to be a born & raised southern girl, you are after mine own heart Sissy's!!!!!Special Features:
- Sissy'sLadiesLeisurelyLunchVIPDined on 7/9/2014Overpriced for the quantity of food you receive. $18 at lunch for shrimp and grits (no sides) and only 4 shrimp. Not worth the value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent serviceTrynewplacesDined on 7/5/2014Excellent service. Vibrant atmosphere. Unique drink and food selections. Fried green tomatoes, topped with shrimp remoulade, were awesome. Fried chicken was very good--juicy and not greasy. Expensive ($16 cocktails and $9 side dishes).Special Features:
- service was not great.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/5/2014food was just ok, eggs came out cold and scorced . Salad was described on on the menu as three beet salad...exactly three slices of beets and mixed greens that were hard and unetible. never questioned by waitress as to how was it or why didn't you eat the salad. my last time to Sissys.
- Love this place!ktjimmyDined on 7/4/2014I've been to Sissy's several times before, but always during the dinner rush. I brought in visitors from London on the Fourth of July for a great Southern meal before fireworks. The food was great and they loved the Southern vibe of the decor. Our server was very attentive and engaging, he even briefly chatted about our celebrations: birthday and engagement. He suggested an amazing drink for one guest, which he was in love with! My only complaint was that it was extremely quiet, as we were there around 6 PM (only time available for a reservation). They missed out a little on the great energy it has when the restaurant is full of diners. Otherwise, a great night!Special Features:
- Great food and Great fun!execproducerDined on 6/30/2014Sissy's Southern Kitchen & Bar is a great place! Food is good and freshly prepared, drinks are awesome and the atmosphere is great. Lots of fun and energy in the place. Great for a date, great for a group of friends to gather together and have a good time. Definitely recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.