660 Albany Shaker Road
Albany, NY 12211Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.desmondhotelsalbany.com/
- Phone: (518) 640-6094
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 11:00am, Saturday - Sunday: 7:00am - 12:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:30pm, Saturday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 1:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 1:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Michael St. John
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Shaker Room in the Desmond Hotel offers Simpson's menu and service
- Private Party Contact: Frank Rivera 5186406093
A word from Simpson's Grille
"Casual, friendly dining at its best" See what the critics are saying about Simpson's Restaurant at The Desmond Hotel & Conference Center. Five chefs sharing 83 years of experience have created menus for breakfast, lunch and dinner to tantalize even the most discriminating palates. Featuring weekly specials and a culinary style for everyone, Simpsons is where Sole Francaise and Grilled Atlantic Salmon, meet New York sirloin and filet mignon!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Simpson's Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
12 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (4)fit for foodies (4)neighborhood gem (4)romantic (4)good for groups (2)notable wine list (2)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- slightly above averagePaulFDined on 11/18/2014I had a party of 8...business breakfast. Reservation for 6:45. We were seated on time, and greeted right away. There were only 5 other tables seated...light crowd. Coffee (slightly weak flavor and richness) and water also came right away. Juice came and food orders taken in a reasonable amount of time. The food did take a little while to arrive. We were all just wondering where it was...it came out a couple minutes later. Bacon was very good. I had the signature toast, breaded with Corn Flakes. I wouldn't order it again. Maybe its just the nature of the plate, but it was pretty dry and lacked any real flavor. The fruit kabob that came with it was too modest...how about a side dish? When I took the bill it was $140 for 7 of us. That's steep for breakfast, I don't care where you are. Overall, the service was good. Our waiter and his helper (water, etc) were on top of it and hustling. I would go back, but would stick to the basic eggs and bacon w/ toast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Great!JemmyVIPDined on 10/4/2014This is our go to place for the best prime rib in the world!Special Features:
- A Time to Dress Up and Dine WellscottishlassDined on 10/4/2014Simpson's at The Desmond is a quiet, elegant restaurant that offers good food at a reasonable price. That being said, their menu is seriously limited when it comes to gluten-free dining and the staff (at least the waiter assigned to my table) was completely ignorant of Celiac issues. No simple accommodations were made for this... bread and post-dining cookies were "autonomically" supplied but no other options were offered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a chain restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014We truly enjoy coming here...able to have conversation with out the loud music in the back ground; that is found in all the local chain restaurant(s). Our server was wonderful and has a good sense of humor. Thanks for putting with my husband's sense of humor. The food was very good as always. Thanks for a wonderful evening (date night) for a set a parents.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yojoanieDined on 8/14/2014this was a very friendly and comfortable restaurant . the service was great the food delicious and we were not rushed at all. would go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 71 reviews are from the Simpson's Grille reviews archive.
- Not Desond Quality4StarDined on 7/19/2014This restaurant did meet up to my expectations in overall quality for a Desmond Hotel restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/1/2014Consistent quality and service. Best prime rib in town.Special Features:
- MarvelousM22548Dined on 6/28/2014Outstanding service and dinner! We would definitely recommend this restaurant to our family and friends. A new favorite on our list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent spot for quick bus. lunchJustLoveGreatMealsDined on 6/20/2014Nice to be able to have a semi-private booth for business-related discussions. Service with just the right level of attentiveness. Location made it idea for the last work session before guest left out-of-town.I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedFrequentdinerDined on 6/7/2014we arrived early and were seated immediately. A few moments later we were given water' 10 minutes later our drink order was taken and received at 7:17- bar was crowded because of race. waitress wanted to take dinner order a' drink order, we declined. when drinks arrived we ordered delicious calamari appetizer, best ever! Bread was not brought until we asked. Disappointed - rye rolls and poppyseed/sesame roll. I prefer plain ole fools or italian. Scallop dinner was dry, not much flavor, asparagus was bland. Out of prime rib at 7?????? My husbands meal was good. Hostess was attentive, but ......... We did tip 20% but .......... My brother frequents this restaurant and they enjoy it alwaysSpecial Features:
- Great for Saturday lunchSharonDined on 5/31/2014Located near a major shopping area, this is a great place to get away from the jam-packed (mostly) fast food restaurants in the area and enjoy good food in a very nice setting. It never fails to please.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014Prime Rib was not cooked as it was ordered. We went for dinner, not an overnight stay (we sat down at 5:30 and left at 7:30). Too long for dinner.Special Features:
- Mom loved it!Phyllis125Dined on 5/10/2014Took mom there and twenty year old also. All three generations loved the food . Service was old fashioned and good. Took forever to get cashed out. Quiet and dated decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Prime Rib AnywhereJemmyVIPDined on 3/30/2014Have traveled the world and have eaten at some of the best places for steak and no one can beat the Prime Rib dinner at Simpson's! Absolutely THE BEST! They make it authentic with Yorkshire Pudding (a classic Popover) which is absolute heaven when dunked in the au jus.Special Features:
- Forgotten Homebarbg52Dined on 3/26/2014We dine out 2-3 times a week, and haven't been to the Desmond in years. We spent a lot of table talk trying to figure out why. The soups were award winning, (we shared) i can still see & taste them as I write this days later. The Simpon's Grille is a well appointed & comfortable room, and our server Darlene made the night a treat with honesty, humor and perfect service. It was Colonie Rest. Week and we were really impressed with the choices & quality of the offerings for $20.14. Th Desmond has always been a asset and great partner to the Town. We have no idea why we haven't been there in so long... It won't happen again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentHappyDined on 3/22/2014We have come a few times through the years for special occasions. Have always found it to be the perfect setting for an excellent meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BreakfastRandyDined on 3/2/2014It really isn't brunch in the truest sense. Rather than having a buffet, we ordered off the menu as one would for a normal breakfast. Other than that, it was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst service everEsquireVIPDined on 2/14/2014No bread. Asked for bread. No bread for twenty minutes. Why? They are warming rolls! Main course. Steak over cooked. Enough said? Friends who accompanied us and sat at another table experienced same treatment.
- Worst Valentine's everjstai72Dined on 2/14/2014Food was terrible, both presentation & taste. Acerbic was uber slow, but mainly due to understaffing (on Valentine's Day!).
- good food poor service bad valueluv2eatoutDined on 12/25/2013We waited 1 hr and 25 mins from when we were seated to when we received our entre. For $35 per person would not even put scoop of icecream on apple pie. Appetizer was only cup of soup. Best choice was rib eye but I had salmon which was over cooked and dry. Ambiance was good and enjoyed drinking coffee from china cup. Would not go back.
- night outtmbm7926Dined on 10/27/2013We went to Simpson's because Scrimshaw wasn't open on a Sunday evening. We had reservations, although it appeared we didn't really need them. All of the diners seemed to be seated on one side of the restaurant, causing the noise level and conversations easily heard. There was a gentleman at a nearby table who dominated his party's conversation with a loud voice. Our waiter, Daniel, was very nice and efficient. They had only one piece of prime rib left, which my husband was able to get. It seems the menu is a bit dated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very mixed bag..Phyllis125Dined on 10/12/2013We arrived at 6:30 pm and were greeted and shown to a small table for two. When we asked, the manager who seated us changed us to a more comfortable and slightly more private booth. There were few patrons there. The waiter came over took our drink order and promptly brought us drinks. We watched him scamper around taking care of half the restaurant .There seemed to be three managers and only two servers for the entire restaurant. 30 minutes later we had not even put in our dinner order! We finally were able to flag down the manager who took our order. 25 minutes later the manager told us he was bringing shrimp cocktails as our order was delayed.Food was great. Would not bring kids here. Restaurant could use a facelift as well. Very dated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service here was wonderfulmelbatDined on 10/3/2013Service here was wonderful and good selections and food qualitySpecial Features:
- Food was a little slow toBackaDined on 9/27/2013Food was a little slow to come out even though the restaurant was not that full.Special Features:
- We were just there for a mid-week677PVIPDined on 8/6/2013We were just there for a mid-week lunch, so the vibrant bar scene, which can happen at night, was not underway yet.. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was some of theOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/3/2013The service was some of the best that we have ever had, anywhere. Clam appetizer was awesome. My wife's Sole dish could not have been better. The Swordfish was very fresh, but a little too much black pepper in the preparation. Overall I would rate this restaurant a 9 out of 10.Special Features:
- Always constant and alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/1/2013Always constant and always good even in August when the track is open.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relax and enjoy.GrandmadgDined on 7/28/2013If you have had a trying day and need some quiet time to relax and unwind then the Desmond Simpson's Grille is just the place to go. The food is delicious, the service is exceptional, and the relaxing music and quiet is beautiful. Give it a try and see if I am not right. Enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coming Home Goodness!JemmyVIPDined on 7/26/2013Many restaurants offer great food and excellent dining experience but it takes a deft balance of classic but masterfully prepared cuisine with a feel at home ambiance to bring us back again and again! Simpson's at the Desmond does just that. The food is consistently perfect, the ambience is always warm and cozy and the service nicely familiar! It feels like going to grandma's for one of her out-of-this world classics every Sunday! Love this place!Special Features:
- Surprising billOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/14/2013My food was delicious but my husband's wasn't. He ordered his usual - a salad (which was very good) & a breast of chicken sandwich (which was not seasoned & was not cooked thoroughly). After a couple of bites he asked me to taste the chicken as it didn't seem "right." My husband didn't want it cooked and didn't want it back. The waitress asked if he wanted something else. He ordered a shrimp cocktail - delicious. When the bill came, the chicken sandwich & shrimp cocktail were listed. This shouldn't have happened. My husband asked the waitress & manager about the policy. They said that we had to pay for both. We have been coming to the Desmond on the average of once a month for the past 28 years. This wasn't "in true Desmond fashion."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic goodness!JemmyVIPDined on 6/8/2013We were looking for classic, traditional fare and Simpson's delivered. This is the place to go for classic New England goodness - from the ambience, the delicious New England Clam Chowder (a well deserved award winner!), the awesome French Onion Soup (which my husband could not pass up) and the beyond superb prime rib complete with au jus, creamy horseradisch, wonderful popover and terrific baked potato - everything was absolutely prepared to perfection! It was one of the most satisfying, tastiest meal and certainly the best prime rib anywhere!Special Features:
- Previously, we have only attendedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/16/2013Previously, we have only attended a wedding reception at the Desmond Americana. This was our first time (but not our last) at Simpon's Restaurant. We were celebrating our 47th Anniversary and could not have picked a better restaurant anywhere in the Capital District. The receptionist greeted us by our name and showed us immediately to our table. Everything was excellent from the ambiance, food, waitress, and the easy quick way to reserve a table online.Special Features:
- iT'S NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE!!!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/6/2013This used to be my wife's and my favorite place to go out to. We were even part of the Frequent Dinner's Reward Club program there, and have dined enough to get free certificates.BUT...............SOMETHING HAS CHANGED!!!! We were met by a "hostess" who was to busy reading the paper to seat us, a waiter who just stood and looked at us like we were from Mars. Thankfully, our usual waitress (who has been there for ever) did her very best to serve us well. The "waiter" who brought us the bread, just sort of "threw it" on the table, and had all of the hospitality professionalism of a ROCK. The usual dinner selections have gone up in price, no longer include any salad. Prime rib was actually PRIME FAT!Special Features:
- Food was great, service efficientOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/15/2013Food was great, service efficient and friendly-nice and quiet-loved the night!Special Features:
- A HIdden TreasureOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/9/2013Simpson's Grille was a very special treat. I found it through Open Table and the experience was wonderful from the moment we were greated at the restaurant. The service was exceptionial and the food excellent. The rolls were served warm and fresh. The salad and dressing were perfect. I selected the Veal Picatta and it was delectable and the prime rib was delicious! A very pleasant experience. Thank you!Special Features:
- Good brunch option in Albany, NYQuincyDined on 3/9/2013Pleasantly surprised that the Desmond restaurant was open for a nice brunch. There is a lack of brunch options especially on Saturdays. Dining room is attractive and the egg white omelet I ordered was good. The negatives: we had a surly waiter who seemed a bit impatient, even though the restaurant was relatively empty at 11am on Saturday This is basic brunch - it is not a gourmet "foodie" experience. It's good basic brunch in an attractive equestrienne themed venue.Special Features:
- Had a wonderful evening atOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/23/2013Had a wonderful evening at Simpson's last Saturday. Making reservations was efficient. Service was friendly and in general very accommodating. We did have a bit of problem keeping our water glasses filled though, and had to ask for more butter three times. The food was very tasty. It just so happened that all four of us ordered different types seafood (scallops, sole, orange roughy, and shrimp). Every single dinner was properly prepared, fresh, and flavorful. Salads were good, though unremarkable. Bar drinks were well-made. Desserts were good, but could use some unique touches to be more special. I ordered a dessert coffee (not on the menu) with kahlua, baileys and whip cream and that was just right.Special Features:
- We were very pleased withOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/16/2013We were very pleased with the service and variety of the menu. The salad was very fresh and crisp and the dressing was nicely seasoned. My shrimp were cooked very well, and my husband's chicken was very juicy and tasty. Our only complaint was the rice served with the meal. It was extremely dry and completely tasteless.Special Features:
- This was our second time goingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013This was our second time going to Simpson's Grill. We went back because we really enjoyed the food the first time. The potato crusted salmon is SO delcious! This visist was more of a special occassion, as it was not only my birthday but also valentine's day. I felt comfortable and relaxed, though we were the youngest people in the entire place, by 20 years, except for the hostess, busser and one server. I'm not sure if this is the trend for this place or if it was just because we went in the early evening? (5:40pm) But once again, the food was awesome. Service was good, not exceptional, but we were taken care of as needed. Our server wasn't overly nice but she got the job done, I guess is what I mean. :) The atmosphere was quiet.
- Thought the entree was veryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/27/2013Thought the entree was very good and the service was exceptional. One thing...Calamari appaetizer had a garlic and parmesan crust....but there was almost no calamari inside the crust. The crust was good! But it would have been nice to taste some clamari.