Simply Thai Restaurant & Wine Bar
1211 Hamilton St.
Vancouver, BC V6B 6K3Neighborhood:
ThaiPrice: CAN$30 and under
Simply Thai Restaurant & Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.simplythairestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6046420123
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Wednesday & Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - close late night, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai, Asian
- Executive Chef: Grace Rerksuttisiridach
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Jesse 6046420123
A word from Simply Thai Restaurant & Wine Bar
This is no ordinary Thai eatery it's more like SOHO meets Southern Thailand. Very cool in style, yet very warm in spirit. There's art on the walls, world music in the air, and maybe a celebrity or three, or one of the city's top chefs having a meal. They love Grace's cooking. Grace is the Owner and Executive Chef Siriwan Rerksuttisiridach. Bangkok born and raised, she apprenticed under Penpan Sittitrai, teacher of Royal Thai Chefs for the Royal Family of Thailand. Grace wanted to give Vancouver true Thai cuisine flavoured with her own creativity. Grace and Simply Thai are the real deal. Simply Thai's selection of more than 200 different types wines from BC, Australia, California, Germany and France offers a range of wines that go perfectly with Thai dishes, including Alsatian, Pinot Gris and Gewürztraminer. It's such a well-thought-out selection that Simply Thai has annually won New York Wine Spectator's “Award of Excellence”.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Simply Thai Restaurant & Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (6)neighborhood gem (5)fit for foodies (2)late-night find (2)good for groups (2)great for lunch (1)special occasion (1)romantic (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- great!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014"Simply" amazing!! So good! If you are looking for Thai , this is the placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 151 reviews are from the Simply Thai Restaurant & Wine Bar reviews archive.
- Not like beforePipayDined on 5/21/2014It's quite sad that Simply Thai is not like what it used to. Food was mediocre and not authentic anymore. It used to be my go to for Thai in Yaletown but won't me going back.
- DissapointedwonanVIPDined on 5/17/2014Not the best Thai food I've had. The food was average and blend, not full of spice and taste like the usual Thai food dishes, service was good though. Not happy we got charged $4.00 for each bowl of rice we ordered. Overall expensive for average Thai food.Special Features:
- Saturday nite dining outThaifoodlover23Dined on 4/19/2014I had a fabulous Mango Colada. Our waitress was a lot of fun and the food came quickly. We ordered the chicken satay. Wish the pieces were more uniform instead of tiny and medium. We had prawns wrapped in wanton wrappers, quite good. For our mains we had Pad Thai which was really good and Tiger Cry, good as well but the beef was a bit dry. For dessert we had the deep fried bananas but the batter was a little too heavy. All in all an enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice Thai, but i've had betterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/16/2014Ok ok so its not as good as being in Thailand, but if you can afford to fly to Thailand for a meal then you wont be looking on here anyways.. Ordered Thai fish cakes, (very tasty and fresh with an awesome sauce), Tiger cry beef, Pad Thai & coconut rice for main. The Pad thai was "ok", but ive had much better - it just lacked depth of flavour.. I've had melt in your mouth Tiger cry beef, this was not, it was very thin pieces, that were tasty but not something I'd reorder. Coconut rice was great (as you'd expect). Staff were lovely, & very patient as we both took a while to decide, the place is nice, I went for an early dinner so it was quiet. I'd definitely go back again, however will probably see what else is out there first.
- Very nice Thai restaurant.winendineDined on 4/13/2014Very nice Thai restaurant. Food is delicious along with attentive service. A bit expensive for the meals. We did not sit outside as it was a little cold for the girlfriend so we missed out on the patio as I am sure it would have been much nicer seating. I was a bit surprised that they do not have chopsticks as an option for utensils for the complete experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/25/2014I eat here every time I a in Vancouver, ie once or twice a month. AlwAys good... Well priced for the quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great flavoursmexxDined on 2/26/2014Great meal with wonderful flavours. Will definitely be back. Very relaxed and on time service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- had betterndgdfdDined on 12/31/2013booked through OpenTable...but had to wait 15min for table to be ready, waited 25 min to have order actually taken, another 30 min before drinks came, appetizers came well before the drinks, then another appetizer came during dinner, only offered drinks at initial order, not again, food taste was nothing great, even sent one dish back. However, waitress did apologize for limited staff on New Years Eve, no discount offered for poor service.
- Avoid this placemarsbarDined on 12/31/2013Boy, I wish I never came to this place. The papaya salad tasted like it was marinated in fish sauce for days with a few pale tomatoes. We sent the dish back suggesting it was too salty.The server took the dish back to the cook and brought the same one back, saying they 'fixed it'. Nope, still the same. We sent it back and certainly didn't want round 3. The beef was over cooked like it was super dehydrated or they wanted to show that they can over cook beef. The 'special green curry' was offered to us instead of their regular one on the Levitt. With as 25% premium with no mention of the price increase. Totally not with it. Tasted like day-old food court curry heavily salted again. That's all I could taste in all their dishes.
- Simply Amazingeat2liveDined on 12/6/2013Brought two friends from Calgary here tonight and ordered a wonderful bottle of Craggy Range a New Zealand white wine. The meal consisted of four dishes: #20. Pad Thai, 33. Gra-Paow Nun, 58. Goong Ma Muang, & 76. Chicken Swimming Angels. Lots of veggies, beef, chicken & shrimp. Simply delicious. Love that peanut sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- really good Thai food!evdsluysDined on 11/23/2013I haven't been here in a few years. It was really good. Food was really quick and the drinks were delicious. I'll definitely be coming back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply Thai, VancouverbteeDined on 10/25/2013Simply the food was not up to snuff. The Tom Yum was hot, but not sour enough. We asked for lime wedges, they only had lemon wedges. The Tom Yum was (at the Thai hottest level, perfect!) and the spring rolls were just weird with vermicelli instead of some kind of vegetables inside, Pad Thai was fine but nothing to rave about.
- We've been coming to SimplySteveDined on 10/25/2013We've been coming to Simply Thai for the past 7 years it never disappoints. Everything is perfect every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedCharisseDined on 10/17/2013The food is ok, but definitely overpriced. For half the price, I can get very good Thai food in Toronto. The waitress serving us is very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty food, good serviceGreatbritDined on 9/21/2013Just off a plane and jet-lagged. Simply Thai was just what we needed. Informal, good quality food at a reasonable price. Met by a waitress with a typical Thai smile and food arrived promptly in good quantities. The waitress checked that we were happy several times and we had a. Excellent bottle of local wine, albeit rather pricey. Left rather early to our beds just as the restaurant began to fill up and get more of a buzz. Would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply Thia is Simply the BestABitPriceyVIPDined on 8/13/2013If you enjoy Thai food give Simply Thai a try, I have a feeling you will enjoy it! This vist to Simply Thai was to entertain out of town business guests and the entire group raved about the food. The service, food and feel of the resturanunt were all perfect. Next time I am in Downtown Vancouver, I will go back.... Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply deliciousGarthDined on 8/2/2013Very very good food Nice menu options A little too spicy for wife Reasonable prices Server/waitress charmingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to impress visitorsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/28/2013Went with relatives visiting from France and they were very impressed. Impressive wine list. All our dishes were delicious! We have been several times to Simply Thai and it will continue to be a dining experience we chose to impress visitors and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nothing special about theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/27/2013nothing special about the dishes. Very plain and thrown together.
- Economical, Tasty Thai!ladydocDined on 4/26/2013Excellent food at Simply Thai. Our group of four really enjoyed the curries and the usual Pad Thai. Our waiter was friendly, if a little distracted (i.e. allowed one of our party to sample the wine, then he put it back in the ice bucket and left it to us to pour!) Very good value as our bill was $120 for 4 of us. Conveniently located in Yaletown. We will return.Special Features:
- Food was just fair to goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/13/2013Food was just fair to good compared to other Thai restaurants I frequent in Vancouver.
- This is a great find in Yaletown.ABitPriceyVIPDined on 4/9/2013This is a great find in Yaletown. The food was really amazing and if you like Thai food you must give Simply Thai a try! The service was very good, atmosphere is comfortably and relaxed. Enjoy!!Special Features:
- Make sure you specificallyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/4/2013Make sure you specifically tell them you have booked a reservation through OpenTable or they cancel it after you leave and you don't get the points.
- Simply Great Thai!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/19/2013My friend & I enjoyed a quiet dinner on a weeknight. Atmosphere warm, and our server, Donna, was helpful and friendly. We greatly enjoyed the veg curry and prawn/veg curries we ordered. Love the rice options; we had brown, served family style. Generous portions, reasonable prices. Personally, I find some Yaletown places too trendy & overpriced for my taste; "Simply Thai" is just that...we shall return!Special Features:
- Was disappointed with theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2013Was disappointed with the Pad Thai with shrimp. It was too salty. Vegetable with calamari was delicious.
- Very nice experience and goodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/22/2013Very nice experience and good portions as well, food was very tasty.Special Features:
- Simply brilliant...again.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/17/2013Dinner Sunday with friends, nice and quiet their first visit and rave reviews on all counts. Started with the green papaya salad, fresh, crisp and just the right amount of heat. Mains arrived, Pad Thai with chicken, Scallops Prig Paow, Garlic chicken and the star of the show, C6 - Salmon Pa-nang, Fresh Wild Salmon in a thick red curry with coconut milk, bell peppers, topped with fresh Thai basil and lime leaves. The salmon plays nicely with the curry and coconut and you can get the spice level to order. Go medium heat, you can take it, nice tingle in the tastebuds and not crazy hot. Ended with fried bananas with mango ice cream - perfect way to cap a great evening. Dinner for 4, including wine ($38) was about $160, and well worth itSpecial Features:
- The place was dead the wholeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/5/2012The place was dead the whole time we were there. Maybe 2-3 tables of guests only. Probably because of it's pricey menu. About 40% more expensive than another Thai restaurant in the area.
- Great food! Quick, friendlyLive2EatDined on 12/3/2012Great food! Quick, friendly service - they even happily prepared a small dish of scrambled eggs for a 3 yr old - I would eat here again any time.Special Features:
- very nice food!! We love theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/23/2012very nice food!! We love the green curry so much although the medium is still little bit spicy to us LOLSpecial Features:
- Extremely tasty food and aBrianMDined on 10/17/2012Extremely tasty food and a large enough menu selection to suit anyone looking for a taste of Thai food.Special Features:
- It was ok - I was expectingOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/13/2012It was ok - I was expecting better but the food is very good. Nothing fabulous though.
- Great meal - wonderful serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2012Great meal - wonderful service (very attentive). Can't go wrong!Special Features:
- Once again, we ate too much.rds3waveDined on 10/4/2012Once again, we ate too much. We had to try the spring rolls appetizer, and of course I had to have the satay. And have to have the Pad Thai, in order to properly compare the restaurant to all the others I have enjoyed. And finally, the coconut milk soup (I forget the name of it). Everything A1 delicious, and I was very full. Portions are healthy.Special Features:
- Flavorless FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2012Pretty bland across the board. The portion sizes were exceedingly small for the price, and the food was quite bland. Since when has ordering something "mild" meant "flavorless?" I go to Thai restaurants to enjoy exotic Asian spices, not washed out flavors. The food was so bland, even the veggies failed to absorb any flavor and ended up tasting like they were simply steamed outside of the dish. The waitress was ok, and the place filled up for dinner time, but otherwise it was very lackluster and I won't be returning.
- If you love Thai this is aShannonTDined on 9/14/2012If you love Thai this is a great place to go. Great selection and flavor was 5 star. Pleasant staff and ambiance.Special Features:
- Our fIrst dinning experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2012Our fIrst dinning experience at Simply Thai. Excellent & authentic cuisine and service was very good. One suggestion is a small complimentary dessert for my husband from the restaurant would have been much appreciated since our waitress had initially asked if it was a special occasion and I mentioned that it was my husband's 40th birthday that day. Some restaurants go above and beyond to make such occasions extra special with a bonus dessert or drink & we did spend well over $100 for 2 adults & 2 children so it would have been a thoughtful gesture. Other than that though, overall, it was a terrific experience!Special Features:
- First timers - very well received.winesmellyehVIPDined on 8/13/2012First timers - very well received. Food was extremely tasty. Excellent service. Will return again.Special Features:
- Food a disappointmentTruckiDined on 7/29/2012Food was a disappointment, compared to previous visits. 73. Simply Thai’s Gai-Yang (Half chicken marinated in coconut milk, honey, herbs and special spices): yes, it was marinated in coconut but then served completely dry, no sauce, on a few leaves of salad. 86. Broccoli Nam Mun Hoy (Stir-fried broccoli with garlic and oyster sauce): This was pure stir-fried broccoli, nothing on it, not very tasty. Maybe a side-dish but not for $ 15. Tom Khai-Gai and Thai spring rolls were good. Not what I expect from a relatively expensive Thai restaurant.