4515 Sepulveda blvd.
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403Neighborhood:
MoroccanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.simonscafe.com/
- Phone: 8187836698
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Moroccan, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Simon Elmaleh
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Fully or partially Custom Catering on request.
A word from Simon's Café
Moroccan born Chef Simon Elmaleh, started his career at the age of fourteen as Chef Helper at "Club Med" later he joined a five star liner as an assistant chef,and worked for them seventeen years. In 1986 he Opened the first Moroccan Restaurant and catering in Japan and it was successful for fifteen years, among the most important Customers was Prince Mikasanomiya of the Japanese royal family. In 2001 Opened Simon's Cafe in Encino wich received great reviews by food critic Elmer Dills and Larry Lipson. Since January 2004 we Opened our current Location and again great reviews by Thi Nguen of Los Angeles Times, and many others. Simon's culinary background gives his Restaurant the expertise of how to utilize the unique flavors of the Mediterranean with a five star flare.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Simon's Café reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelQuiet
neighborhood gem (9)fit for foodies (6)great for lunch (3)good for groups (3)special occasion (1)kid-friendly (1)romantic (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Ultimate chefFionaVIPDined on 8/2/2014Chef Simon is amazing! Every dish is a labor of love. I love his cooking all his dishes our bursting flavor! What a wonderful chef, he always greats his customers and explains his preparation of dishes, makes you want to try different food. Always look forward to going am a regular now!Special Features:
- Always a GREAT MealValleyLELDined on 7/12/2014A Valley gem - very tasty Moroccan food and owner/chef Simon is there to meet and greet. It's a great location to meet up with West Side Friends (near Sepulveda and Ventura freeway exits). I highly recommend the tangines - lamb and chicken melt in your mouth. Wonderful desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic!theronesDined on 7/10/2014Simon came over to the table and we chatted about Moroccan and other Mediterranean areas and he gave us his favorite suggestions. The food was filling and plentiful. My lamb tajine was very flavorful and the lamb was tender and juicy.Special Features:
- Personal serviceAndrewVIPDined on 7/6/2014The owner chef spent a lot of time with us making sure all was OK. It was. The food was interesting and solid, though far short of great. It was a very good deal for the price.I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Delicious "OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/28/2014I had to go back a few time to make sure it was not just a one time hit. The food is fabulous. Everything is made fresh, the Zaalouk a grilled eggplant with tomato is spiced perfect. The Pastilla with powder sugar is the best I have ever had. Each time I have been there have eaten the moist lamb so tender and delicious. Definitely worth a visit if you like Moroccan food and if you have never tried it try it here you will love itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 24 reviews are from the Simon's Café reviews archive.
- What a find!LARubyDined on 5/16/2014A charming, little Sherman Oaks cafe with terrific Mediterranean food. The owner is a delight who really enjoys preparing food and watching his customers enjoying what has come out of the kitchen. The cauliflower and roasted hazelnut soup was creamy, yet not heavy. My friend's Chicken tagine with fruit had a flavor that is out of this world. My husband loved the lamb and the Chicken Feuillete was superb and crunch...not greasy at all. It was a little high priced but the food and Simon's gracious way made it worthwhile! Go and enjoy!!!Special Features:
- Best Hummus in LAdvdsnDined on 3/18/2014A true Gem, just a half block off of the main road, across from Whole Foods, the staff is extremely nice and the food is delectable! This is a place that I will return to often, Simon is an excellent cook! Best Flourless Chocolate Cake I've had in many years!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful findjdgretzDined on 3/7/2014My wife specifically wanted Moroccan food so we looked at the on-line reviews and decided to give Simon's a try, and are we glad we did. This is an exceptional restaurant that makes no pretense to be anything other than what it is - Simon's personal restaurant. It is not a bar. If you want some place to sit and drink, do someplace else. If, on the other hand, you want an exceptional dining experience with wonderful food from a great chef, then give Simon's a try. Each dish was prepared with an eye towards the tastes being complimentary. We shared a Pastilla followed by Lamb, Beef and Chicken Tagines. The total effect was just short of absolute perfection. Highly recommended. Go there, relax, and enjoySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Hidden Gem!leeniecastroDined on 2/27/2014What a great find! A small restaurant one block south of the Sherman Oaks Galleria, just before the freeway ramp. It was a quiet evening with only a few other customers in the restaurant, which in the beginning worried me. But the quiet was actually a welcome from the bustling busy-ness of the outside (especially the traffic and freeway noise). We were able to ask questions and make small conversation with Simon, the owner, chef, host, waiter, and bus boy. We got the appetizer combination plate and lamb tagine. It was all sooo delicious. Overall, our dinner was so good we've decided to come back with a group of friends next week. I'm already salivating thinking about what we're going to order!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Moroccan BlissKarybVIPDined on 2/23/2014Simon is the real deal. From Morocco, he's cooked for kings and now has this neighborhood joint where he keeps it simple and does it all himself. The appetizers are heavenly - way lighter and cleaner-tasting than you find in Middle Easter restaurants. Terrific puffy pita, too. Go for the tagines - lamb or the chicken with dried fruit - you can not go wrong. It may take time to get your food - Simon has little help - but if you are not in a rush and want a relaxing neighborhood experience with exotic flair - Simon's is for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A welcome surpriseTraveler58Dined on 2/14/2014The place we wanted to go on Valentine's Day was booked up. But we love Moroccan food and we saw this place on Open Table so we thought we'd give it a try. It doesn't look like much, and at first we thought we'd made a sad mistake. But the food was incredibly satisfying -- the sea bass was melt-in-your-mouth, and my wife thought the lamb was maybe the best she'd ever had. We would be happy to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely experienceFrequentDinerDined on 1/28/2014Simon, the owner, was a charming and attentive host. The lamb tagine I had was outstanding. And the sampling of desserts, including the poached eggplant (to die for) and sour cherry/almond tart (yummy) was out of sight. Atmosphere was not much, but otherwise, a very pleasant place (just hard to get to).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something for everyoneOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/18/2014We dine her about once a month, it is a convenient place to eat before or after attending a movie at the Sherman Oaks Galleria, which is just 2 blocks away. They have a wide variety of chicken, lamb and beef dishes, the best Middle Eastern Appetizers around, and delicious couscous dishes and many vegetarian entrees. Simon makes everything fresh daily, his meats are tender and flavorful, his salads are fresh, and he uses a lemon/olive oil dressing that is light and tasty. It is a nice place to go with a group and order family style, so everyone can share and taste the variety of things. .It is quiet and you can hear yourself talk. Nice wine list, and wonderful home made desserts, including a in house freshly made Ricotta Cheese Cake .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Food IS Worth the WaitPhaedraVIPDined on 12/25/2013Simon's is a restaurant from a different era. It's a mom & pop cafe with mouth watering home cooking. Simon has created the cuisine. He is out front running the operation. He's the maitre'd, wait staff and cashier. His wife is in the kitchen preparing all his home made recipes fresh to order. This being the case, service can be very sporadic depending on how busy they are. On Christmas Day the few restaurants open are busy, so service suffers. That being said, I love Simon's and was happy to wait for the food. Bring along some good company and a bottle or two of wine (corkage is only $10) and settle in for a low-key evening with delicious food. Simon always makes time to have a friendly chat with his guests no matter how busy he is!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is always great at Simons.clccDined on 11/12/2013Food is always great at Simons. Perfect place to go with the family, or catch up with a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!lmacg8gtDined on 10/20/2013Went for dinner on a Sunday night. Small dining room with very friendly and helpful wait staff. All food made from scratch on premises. Wonderful flavor and freshness for all dishes served to our group of five. Definitely recommend the traditional dishes and be sure to save room for dessert! We are still talking about it almost a week later. I will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- simon!!biscuittVIPDined on 7/9/2013the food was fantastic. simon is the place, the cook, the server, the bus boy! he is amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Moroccan and accessibleTarzanaVIPDined on 3/9/2013This is a very special place. The food is amazing- Moroccan and as far as I can tell- very authentic. There is also the feeling of a family home. Simon and his staff are warm and welcoming.Special Features:
- Delicious Moroccan food preparedSandyjkVIPDined on 2/26/2013Delicious Moroccan food prepared very well and interesting. The owner-host is pleasant, helpful and very knowledgeable. One has to pay attention to the directions into the parking lot or one can end up on the freeway. It was a lovely spot to meet and visit quietly with a friend.Special Features:
- The most notable feature ofOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/23/2013The most notable feature of this restaurant is the great food. I recommend any of the Tagines. They are delicious and served in an attractive Moroccan bowl that keeps the food hot for quite a while. The service could use a little improvement, but the food was so good I overlooked that part.Special Features:
- Tasty TaginesOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/14/2013I thought the food was very good. The baba ganoush was outstanding. For our entrees I had the lamb tagine with fruit and my friend had the beef tagine with olives. Both were very tasty. We went on Valentine's Day so the staff was spread a little thin. I would have been fine with that if my wine had come in a reasonable time. But I would definitely go back and next time I will get a dessert. Some of the options in the display looked fab.Special Features:
- Expensive for foods offered.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 1/23/2013Expensive for foods offered. Service O.K. until "regulars" arrived. Loved the lamb tangine; other dishes were very good.
- poor restaurant - food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/26/2012Hard to find parking since the place was very close to 405 ramp. Service was horrible. Even with coupon, we are not going back. Price was a bit high for the food quantity and nothing special with the food. We only finished the whole meal for the reason of being so hungry. We waited 45 minutes for the complimentary pita bread that was soggy (microwaved) and salsa as dip which did not match at all that I had to ask for butter instead. Simon even asked why I asked for butter. Then waited another 20 minutes for the food to be served. No consistency with serving. He managed to talk to other customers but not to the rest of use. Did not bother to ask how the food was. It also took some time for the bill to be paid. Everything was just horrible.
- Simon's Cafe is a great findOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/15/2012Simon's Cafe is a great find in Sherman Oaks located just across the street from Whole Foods on Sepulveda. 3 of us went on Saturday night and everything we had tasted fresh and delicious. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Great restaurant, lots ofrififiVIPDined on 12/1/2012Great restaurant, lots of variety on the menu and fabulous service. My only issue is that I think the prices are a little steep. 2 entrees and 2 beers was almost $50.Special Features:
- Simon is charming and thisLeneVIPDined on 11/11/2012Simon is charming and this is a neighborhood restaurant for us. Everyone we take there loves him and his food.Special Features:
- You could not ask for better food.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/9/2012You could not ask for better food. A lot of love goes into each dish, with fresh ingredients and the right combinations. The owner is also one of the friendlies people you will ever meet. A MUST try for anybody.Special Features:
- This was awful. The foodzyggroupVIPDined on 8/11/2012This was awful. The food was bad, the service by Simon was with attitude. The place is a dump. Never again.
- Loved Simon's!! The lambbwoodgalDined on 7/28/2012Loved Simon's!! The lamb tagine was good, but the couscous royale was phenomenal.Special Features: