Silk Vietnamese Restaurant
1012 NW Glisan St
Portland, OR 97209-3246Neighborhood:
VietnamesePrice: $30 and under
Silk Vietnamese Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.phovanrestaurant.com/silk/Default.htm
- Phone: 5032482172
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm -10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southeast Asian, Vietnamese
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining area seats up to 20 guests. Available for lunch reservations Monday - Saturday between 11 am and 12:15 pm. Available for dinner reservations Monday - Saturday. Early between 5 pm and 6:30 pm. Late 8 pm and 8:30 pm.
- Private Party Contact: Vinh Wong 5032671386
A word from Silk Vietnamese Restaurant
If the Perl District is your destination hot spot or you are just wanting to venture out, desiring delicious Vietnamese cuisine, then Silk is just the place to enjoy traditional dishes and flavors jazzed up to appeal to your senses. Dine in a casual elegant atmosphere where our friendly and courteous staff are eager to serve you delightful Vietnamese food. Whether you are looking for familiar dishes like noodle soups and grill or tempted to try something new, Silk offers your palate a taste of Vietnam.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Silk Vietnamese Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
- Well priced, delicious fresh foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/29/2013So yummy! I love the fresh flavors of Vietnamese food, and this place didn't let me down. I would love to go back and try more dishes, but the vermicelli noodles and spicy dumplings entre we had were delish!Special Features:
- Many of the dishes had tooOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2013Many of the dishes had too much soy sauce. The ambiance was very pleasant.
- I was a little disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/28/2013I was a little disappointed because I ordered the beef pho and received the veggie pho. The server offered to bring me the beef, but I was short on time.
- Amazing food. Good drinks.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2013Amazing food. Good drinks. We got Golden Dragon (mango-ey) and Scorpion (black cherry-ey, more intense flavor)Special Features:
- Food was great. Shared kaffirGroupoffourVIPDined on 2/15/2013Food was great. Shared kaffir lime chicken which was fantastic.Special Features:
- It was kind of smoky insideOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013It was kind of smoky inside on valentines day, but otherwise I enjoyed it wry much great food and good service.Special Features:
- We both loved our meals.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013We both loved our meals. I had a ginger chicken dish that was wonderful and my husband really liked his yellow curry. We will definitely go back.
- In spite of having literallyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/22/2013In spite of having literally closed the restaurant, the staff and the owner were very gratious and stopped and chit chatted with us. The food is always superb. I have never had a bad experiece over the years that I have been going there. If you spend 4 hours in a restaurant on a date, it can only be a good sign. The atmosphere is very condusive to great conversation. Thanks you! You should be proud.Special Features:
- Everything as expected. FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/12/2013Everything as expected. Food was excellent as usual
- I had reserved a table forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012I had reserved a table for New Year's Eve a few weeks before and received a phone call three days before letting me know that my reservation time was not acceptable and hads to change my times....inconvenient but because I really do like silk and that's where I wanted to eat, I changed the reservation. I think they should probably stay on top of the online reservations a little closer!Also the waitress was ok but seemed a little hurried and not very happy to be working.
- Food seems to have been dum-downOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/21/2012Food seems to have been dum-down in terms of inventiveness and spice. Service as atrocious - one server for dining area!Special Features:
- Cocktails like they are meant to benorthgapVIPDined on 12/15/2012To me, this restaurant was about the bar. The cocktails are simply some of the best I have ever had. Instead of a pre-mixed concoction, every one is hand made and absolutely out of this world. Incredible and the way that very few can make. The food was a matter of differing opinions. Personally, I did not think it was great. My wife, on the other hand, thought it was. Whether that is a comment on marriage or the restaurant is another matter. The service never failed and the overall experience was one that I would happily repeat.
- Overall atmosphere, food andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/17/2012Overall atmosphere, food and service was a mediocre experience. I've had a better dining experience at Pho Van.
- Yummy foodPortlandFoodieDined on 11/16/2012The vermicelli noodles with lemongrass pork & crispy pork was outstanding!Special Features:
- Conceptually, Silk is an oddOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/10/2012Conceptually, Silk is an odd little restaurant. The food is consistently above average and often excellent, but the menu sends mixed messages to the diner. Silk's dinner menu includes items from the suburban strip mall favorite Pho Van as well as upscale fusion fare more in line with the Pearl District clientele - but there's no practical way to order from both. The Pho Van menu is geared towards soups and vermicelli bowls, best-suited for individual diners, while the upscale "entree" menu is best shared family style. The quality and ingenuity of the food more than makes up for the initial consternation, but it seems like more could be done to unify the dining experience.Special Features:
- Loved the food. The pho boOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/8/2012Loved the food. The pho bo was amazing. The drinks were yummy. But the service was terrible. It was not a busy evening, but it took forever for the waitress to take our drink order. The food was delivered in a timely manner. But when I was done with my drink, no one stopped to ask if I wanted a second. I had to ask for it when the busboy came to take the appetizer dishes away. And he walked away without asking if my friend also wanted one. The servers were just horribly inattentive.
- We've had better nights atsimonepdxDined on 10/30/2012We've had better nights at Silk. It was a very quiet evening for them, and possibly the kitchen was down a few members or something. Things which are usually standouts were only "fine,"--under-flavored or one-note--and the waitress got half of our order wrong--though as I would expect she offered to fix it right away. They are really friendly here, and the atmosphere is very pleasant and relaxing when it's not too crowded. Usually the food is excellent, so I will definitely give them another chance.Special Features:
- Perhaps one of the best selections11goose19VIPDined on 10/27/2012Perhaps one of the best selections of Pho in town esp. the Pho Ga (Chicken Noodle soup) and Bun do bien (spicy seafood soup) and salads. Which is what our group had.Special Features:
- We enjoyed the tastes andPaulDined on 10/9/2012We enjoyed the tastes and creative combinations. The salad rolls were fresh and very good. The entrees while tasty were over cooked. For example pork slices while tasty were stiff. The entrees gave the impression of production cooking where 3/4 cooked food is held in the kitchen frig and then reheated for for service. Silk is a good choice for a different venue in the Pearl but Vietnamese restaurants on the east side are a better choice for the real thing.
- Delicious food, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/5/2012Great service for my admin's Appreciation Day! Thank you for the great meal and hospitality!Special Features:
- Excellent food and prettyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/29/2012Excellent food and pretty reasonably priced. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Could be betterGrantVIPDined on 9/29/2012After reading the reviews, I was expecting more. The food was good, and there wasn't anything particularly wrong, but it wasn't special. And as other reviewers have said, it could so easily be so much better. We used Open Table to let them know it was a a birthday lunch, and they made no mention of it. The food took a long time to come out. Our waitress didn't say or do much for us. The curry chicken sandwich was delicious though. The bread tasted freshly baked. But bottom line, I wouldn't go out of my way to eat here. If you are in the neighborhood, this is safe, but I imagine you too will feel a little underwhelmed. Perhaps after reading a cautionary review -- you'll enjoy it more because you'll be expecting less.
- Happened upon this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/22/2012Happened upon this restaurant on accident wandering through the Pearl District on vacation. Very happy we ate here. Food was excellent and the prices were very reasonable.
- Previously went to Silk forDine90740VIPDined on 8/29/2012Previously went to Silk for lunch a few years back. It was excellent. Went for dinner this time and place didn't seem quite up to the same standard as a few years back. Food was still very good. Especially enjoyed the Sweet Bun appetizer.Special Features:
- Food was very good. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2012Food was very good. Service excellent. Will go back.Special Features:
- always find the food deliciousMokiDined on 8/20/2012always find the food delicious and fresh. try the ginger creme brulee'!Special Features:
- great, if not quiet, diningEmilyDined on 8/16/2012awesome happy hour, tasty food, usually a bit too busy for great conversation or service, but sexy to boot.Special Features:
- Great food and drinks, slow servicegroovetasticVIPDined on 8/2/2012I normally enjoy Silk and conside myself a semi-regular there. The food is good and the cocktails are tasty. But the service just gets slower and slower every time I go. On the most recent visit the server announced on our arrival that it was "a bit slow for a first Thursday". Despite it being slower than they had anticipated, the service was still glacial. Drinks took 15 minutes to arrive, and the food was a long time coming too. Come on, Silk. You have a decent product here: yummy food and drinks. But you really have got to fix the service. It's not just slowness. Your people really just aren't on the ball, and walk past tables multiple times when drinks glasses are empty or plates need clearing. Time for retraining I think.
- A frustrating experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/23/2012Silk is an ok Vietnamese restaurant, conveniently located to Powell's books and other shopping. My husband and I were there on an off night, though. We waited over an hour for any food at all to come out of the kitchen. A salad that we ordered as a starter came out (eventually) with the rest of the meal; the kitchen had "lost" the order. While our server was very apologetic, showing that she was aware of our long wait, she described the kitchen staff as "traumatized" by the crowds in the restaurant. (There were several unoccupied tables, so I'm not sure what was so traumatic.) The restaurant did not offer to compensate us for the inconvenience but agreed when we asked them to comp the salad. Next time, we'll go to Luc Lac.
- Wonderful food, wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/21/2012Wonderful food, wonderful service. We go on special occasions or just because... Love it!Special Features:
- Out of key ingredients forlrk8138Dined on 7/5/2012Out of key ingredients for 2 of 3 drinks I requested. Out of one of their "signature" dishes. It was 7 PM on a Thursday.Special Features:
- I hadn't been to Silk in aOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/2/2012I hadn't been to Silk in a few years. It was average as I remembered it. Good food and drinks, but feel slightly over priced. I still prefer Pok Pok.
- papaya squid salad was veryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/26/2012papaya squid salad was very tasty. the blue crab soup was okay, but lacked a more flavorful combination with the asparagus...something is missing to bring it all together. The chairs are not all that comfortable. The depth of the seat ratio to the width is too narrow.Special Features:
- A Better SilkmuncieVIPDined on 6/23/2012This was our first time at Silk in a long while. It seems the food is substantially better than we last recalled. The duck buns were a delicious appetizer. We also had the chicken curry and the basil tofu, which were both excellent. Everyone at our table (six all together) enjoyed the meal. The cocktails were also terrific. The only negative note was the slow, but pleasant service. They are now offering brown rice as well as white, which is a nice touch. We will definitely return
- AMAZING FOOD!!! Great ambiance,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/15/2012AMAZING FOOD!!! Great ambiance, and very good service. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Outstanding food. Had theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/25/2012Outstanding food. Had the catfish and duck filled buns. Excellent!
- A delicious lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2012Wonderful lunch. I was surprised by the fairly large size of the entrees for lunch. We had a noodle dish with chicken that sounded very normal on the menu but came packed with flavor, wide noodles and vegetables. We had a beef dish that was served with watercress - fabulous favors and tenderloin tips cooked to perfection. I will definitely go back for lunch. We sat in a booth so felt out of the busy luncheon rush. On top of that, we had a very friendly, attentive server.Special Features:
- It was perfect. Just whatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/23/2012It was perfect. Just what I wanted for lunch. Many choices. Service was quick and unobtrusive. Food was perfect.Special Features:
- We had a nice lunch at SilkFoodieFriendsDined on 5/16/2012We had a nice lunch at Silk - the noise level was perfect for our meal and conversation, and the food was delicious. Tried the catfish dish and the curry - both were prepared well and had lovely flavours.Special Features:
- I am never disappointed with11goose19VIPDined on 5/15/2012I am never disappointed with the soups and salads on the menu. Vegetarian choices are good too.Special Features: