Silk Asian Tavern
4 E Phillip Rd
Vernon Hills, IL 60061Neighborhood:
Mundelein – Vernon Hills - Libertyville
AsianPrice: $30 and under
Silk Asian Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.silkasiantavern.com/
- Phone: 8476801760
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Saturday 11:30am - 2:00pm, Sunday Closed
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday:Closed
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese, Asian, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Bo Wungwattana
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Catering: We offer a large selection of items off our menu as options for off site catering as well Chef designed menus for special occasions and special requests.
- Private Party Facilities: We have a Semi private dining area that seats 40-50ppl comfortably. We highly recommend bookings in advance to reserve the space in addition our Chef will work with you to design a special menu for your event.
- Private Party Contact: Cliff Ostrowski 2247176216
- Entertainment: Two Open Kitchens, 4 Flat screen TV's, Contemporary Asian Lounge Music
A word from Silk Asian Tavern
Silk Asian Tavern (formally Silk Mandarin) has always been synonymous with great Chinese cuisine. Silk Asian Tavern now provides a menu featuring traditional Chinese, Thai, Japanese and Korean dishes presented in a contemporary atmosphere and presentation.With two open kitchens dedicated to Sushi-Robota grilling and Wok cooking enjoy an entertaining opportunity to interact with the chefs as they create before your very eyes. With an extensive list of high and end sake's, wines, asian beers and SILKTINI's you are sure to walk away with a complete dining experience. Please visit our website at SILKASIANTAVERN.COM to learn more.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Silk Asian Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
- Wanted to like the restaurantIceMannDined on 6/21/2013I really wanted to like the restaurant especially since they had a $10 lunch buffet. They could not keep up with the Sushi and constantly ran out. You could see by the presentation that the were rushing the look of the sushi as well... They were not shaped like sushi should be. I would say that eventually they did bring me the shrimp sushi to my table because they noticed I kept going up to the buffet bar and they did not have it. They needed more alternative non-raw fish sushi because this is the growing market. They had 3 items... of which 2 of them kept running out. I also liked the idea of the pasta stir fry but I only had 2 or 3 shrimp in the dish.
- Not RecommendedOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/10/2013Very disappointed. The previous restaurant in this location, Silk Mandarin, had very good Chinese food. The food was bland and poorly done. General Tso's chicken was not good. Lo mein contained very few vegetables. Would not go back
- BummerPhotoGurlVIPDined on 6/6/2013After years of enjoying Silk Mandarin, we decided to try Silk Asian Tavern. Unfortunately, it was a big let down. Stale Popcorn (why would popcorn be served at an Asian Restaurant anyway??), below average food and service and above average prices. We will not be going back, sad to say.
- Book Club OutingvalcDined on 5/14/2013Our book club was interested in trying the restaurant after seeing a new name and new sign go up. We all enjoy Asian cuisine and we all like to cook. Most of us ordered the lunch buffet due to the variety of choices and the reasonable price. The buffet was nicely presented as well. One gal did not like the food offerings on the buffet and she thought her ginger-tini was too strong. The rest of us thought it was fine but not fabulous. The gal who ordered off the menu was most pleased and said she would be likely to return to the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for Mother's Day brunch.TrinkaVIPDined on 5/12/2013Went for Mother's Day brunch. Selection could have been bigger for the price and noodles were a bit bland, but rolls and cold food were great. Mimosas also were delicious.Special Features:
- Needs improvementReviewerDined on 5/3/2013They were out of edamame and spicy green beans at 6pm which seemed strange for a dinner restaurant. The sushi was adequate but nothing compared to their competitors, with inadequate fish and avocado amounts. The breaded shrimp dish was good, but overall poor food and service. The restaurant was not busy, but the fact that they were out of food was disappointing, and the sushi was overpriced for something that did not seem fresh. If you like sushi and good Asian style food, go to Kona Grill
- It took 30 minutes to justOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/24/2013It took 30 minutes to just get the appetizer. We hoped that with the long time it took to get the appetizer and main entrees, maybe the food was worth the wait. The food was horrible! Long wait. Horrible food. And over priced for such poor-quality food!
- Some dishes, like the curries,TrinkaVIPDined on 3/23/2013Some dishes, like the curries, need a little more flavor. Great ambiance, friendly service. Some1/2 orders are a bit over- priced.Special Features:
- been here several times. neverOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/15/2013been here several times. never disappoints. usually go with different people who have never been. always love it.Special Features:
- Good, but not that good......OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/2/2013We responded to the great 3 page article in the Chicago Tribune featuring your new restaurant. We visited the Silk Mandarin many times over the years and found it just terrific each time. Consistant and congenial. Now, the Silk Tavern has taken Asian cuisine to a new level !!! Just outstanding ! The sushi chef was fantastic, though a little overwhelmed with orders. For a Saturday evening in a specialty restaurant, we were so very disappointed in the level of service [super slow], and the dress of the servers. This needs attention, quick.Special Features:
- The food was very good, butTrinkaVIPDined on 2/23/2013The food was very good, but the "full" portions were smaller than expected, so that I wondered how small the "half" portions were. The full portions are for sharing and should be a little larger. I like the new look and concept of the restaurant. It was one of our favorites Chinese restaurants when it was Silk Mandarin.Special Features:
- STEER CLEAR!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/14/2013Absolutely NIGHTMARISH experience!!! To say that the service was horrific would be to suggest that it even existed. The quality of the sushi was ridiculously mediocre. And even more ridiculously over-priced. I would sooner be sent to jail to eat prison food than accept a month's worth of FREE meals at this House of Horrors.
- I've gone there on severalOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013I've gone there on several occasions and its been consistently good. Although, they didn't have the appetizer I wanted available this time. This has happened before, when ordering sushi, they not having it that night. Even with that, I do recommend going.Special Features:
- Even though the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/9/2013Even though the restaurant was not busy--lots of empty tables--the service was slow. We sat looking at menus for twenty minutes without even a glass of water to drink, waiting to order. (I had to ask for water!This never happens at other restaurants.) I ordered a sushi roll, and the waitress said that it wasn't available. I ordered another sushi roll, and she said that one wasn't available either. For dessert, my son ordered the lava cake and that, of course, wasn't available. Overall, I was unimpressed. You need to hire more waitresses and possibly redo your menu so that you have the food available that is listed.
- This was our second trip.ason83jayDined on 1/23/2013This was our second trip. The first was soon after Silk re-opened. The first time was amazing, but this time it was not a great experience. A martini was poured about half full. When questioned, the waitress said this is the normal pour. The food took a long time to come out even though it was not a busy period for the restaurant. A table near us took their food to go when it finally arrived. The food was ok, but didn't compare to the first time we visited. I'm hopeful this was a fluke of poor service and food. I'll try it again just to make sure.
- WOULD LIKE TO SEE MORE TRADITIONALHappyVIPDined on 1/20/2013WOULD LIKE TO SEE MORE TRADITIONAL ASIAN FOOD CHOICES LIKE SWEET & SOUR PORK. SERVIVE WAS VERY SLOW.SERVER SPENT MOST OF HER TIME ON TAKEOUT ORDERS.
- We were so excited to seeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/19/2013We were so excited to see this restaurant move into our community. We have been there twice. The food is good and good variety. I like being able to get half portions. The portion sizes are generous and even the half sizes are good for sharing. The atmosphere is updated and nice bar area and sushi bar. I have to mention that the service was not good. It took 20 minutes for someone to take our order and then the waiter attempted to take dishes that were not finished several times. The waiter was MIA most of the night. We are reluctant to go back because of this.Special Features:
- Good Option for ChineseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/11/2013Good lunch buffet. Restaurant recently renovated, and they did a great job on the decor, however food tasted the same, which is fine because I liked it before. Definitely a good choice for Chinese if you're in the area.Special Features:
- This was our 1st visit sinceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/5/2013This was our 1st visit since the name changed and I was impressed with the food selection and quaity. We got a lot of food for the money and we even brought enough home eat as leftovers the next day. They have something for everyone with a diversified menu. JS Lake Zurich
- Many reviewers have criticizedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/5/2013Many reviewers have criticized the restaurant for inattentive service. Management has obviously taken note and instituted measures to correct this. On our recent visit, the wait staff was very attentive. The executive chef and owner also stopped by to inquire about our dining experience. The personal attention plus delicious food made for a wonderful evening. I also want to note that the restaurant uses premium ingredients like chicken with white meat instead of dark in their dishes. They also offer half size entrees so you can taste several selections. We can't wait to return and try other items on their extensive menu!Special Features:
- Not just your usual asian offeringsSpritleDined on 1/2/2013The food options were unique and inventive. We had a couple of the robatayaki appetizers. Each was a short meat skewer elegantly plated on top of a finely chopped garnish. The half of the main entrees are left up to the person ordering to make the right combination - The glaze used for the mongolian style dish was perfect, but my combination of orange style lobster missed the mark. I would suggest asking for advice on what style goes well with your preferred protein selection. Although we did not have desert the Lava Cake smelled very good and the almond cookie crumble cheesecake sounded very intriguing. The wait staff was extremely attentive. The ambience is a nice combination of modern and asian decor - although a bit bright.Special Features:
- It was kind of cool, evenOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 12/31/2012It was kind of cool, even on the cold side, in the restaurant. Others complained and moved away from the outside wall -- not sure if it was insufficient heat or the place is not well insulated. The food was good. The place was only 1/2 full and didn't have much buzz. Note sure if they are going to make it.
- Unprofessional staff, disorganized.OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 12/31/2012Unprofessional staff, disorganized. Took too long for food to arrive. But food was good.Special Features:
- Silk Asian Buffet Christmas-no mas!Dupax18Dined on 12/25/2012Our table to 10 sat for about 15 minutes before the waitress showed up in spite of staff bussing tables around us. She was apologetic but the rest of staff was indifferent, including the hostess. Granted our reservation was sandwiched in between lunch and dinner but there were at least two more wait staff getting the tables ready for the dinner crowd that could have been scheduled for our seating time. The food was only so-so with typical Gen Tsao Chicken, vegetable friend rice/noodles, and pot stickers that can be seen at your run-of-the-mill hibachi grill/Chinese buffet, but kudos to them for having something real vegetarian as the Curry Tofu, Chinese Broccoli, and boy choy. Also, the turkey and miso mashed potatoes were a good change-up.
- Silk Asian Tavern (formerlyWittyVIPDined on 12/24/2012Silk Asian Tavern (formerly Silk Mandarin) appears to have completed their facelift, and it’s a knockout! The place looks great, feels great and most importantly, the food is GREAT! I look forward to becoming somewhat of a regular client.Special Features:
- Food was fine, but the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/23/2012Food was fine, but the service was not good. Very long waits for our food. Server mentioned several times that they were shorthanded in the kitchen, in the bar, and in the sushi area. There was no host/hostess that night, and too few servers for the number of guests. They also ran out of the spicy scallop sushi roll after we ordered it.
- We were aware that this wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/24/2012We were aware that this was a newly reopened restaurant however we were disappointed that at least the basic "kinks" were not addressed most notably reception and service. To keep us waiting in a restaurant that was not nearly busy was ridiculous and to be told it was a weekend and that's why it's taking so long was equally so. The girl who greated us was in our opinion, unprofessionally dressed which set the tone for our evening. We were seated and were not greated, given water or had drink orders taken for well over 15 minutes. The owner came by and after hearing a complaint from another table and just asked us to please give them another chance. In my opinion, not the best way to handle back to back complaints.
- Definitely NoteworthOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/24/2012Great food, nice atmosphere, reasonably priced. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- This is basically a new restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/23/2012This is basically a new restaurant with new management and a new chef. I recognize his food from one of my favorite restaurants in the city. In fact, some of those items are much better. Now I only need to drive 10 minutes instead of driving to the city and eating in darkness while paying 20 bucks for parking.Special Features:
- My experience with the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/14/2012My experience with the restaurant was wonderful, from the moment we walked in to our whole dining experience. Food was excellent and our server made some wonderful suggestions. I will definately go back.Special Features:
- Food was good but not memorable.FirsttimeoneVIPDined on 11/3/2012Food was good but not memorable. The pot stickers were very good but the rest of the food needed more flavor. The ability to choose a half order versus a full order allowed us to try a variety of dishes. Because of this option, we will return. Service was excellent!!
- Can't wait to go back afterNeilDined on 9/15/2012Can't wait to go back after they have finished remodeling. They have really worked at giving good service in spite of the work going on.Special Features:
- New management is well trainedFree2bDined on 9/1/2012New management is well trained and customer oriented. A true gem in progress.Special Features: