Sierra Mar - Post Ranch Inn
47900 State Highway 1
Big Sur, CA 93920Neighborhood:
OrganicPrice: $50 and over
Sierra Mar - Post Ranch Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://postranchinn.com/
- Phone: 8316672800
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Sunday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Californian
- Executive Chef: Craig Von Foerster
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access
A word from Sierra Mar - Post Ranch Inn
Overlooking the Pacific Ocean with a spectacular view of the California coast, the award winning Sierra Mar Restaurant serves world-class cuisine in an awe-inspiring setting. This Big Sur restaurant features an innovative, four course, prix fixe menu, which changes daily and utilizes organic, seasonal fare. Sierra Mar offers wine selections from one of the most extensive collections in North America.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Sierra Mar - Post Ranch Inn - Best Restaurants in Big Sur ›
Sierra Mar - Post Ranch Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.9Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (39)special occasion (35)romantic (34)great for lunch (26)fit for foodies (19)great for outdoor dining (15)notable wine list (11)great for brunch (9)neighborhood gem (5)hot spot (5)good for groups (2)vibrant bar scene (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014My boyfriend and I spent our anniversary here and did the tasting menu! The night was special and perfect! Loved everything about it! Especially enjoying our dessert outside by the firepits with the moon reflecting on the water. A night I will never forget.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- location and no more..giu2dineDined on 8/24/2014Posizione fantastica.. sembra di fluttuare sul mare... per quanto riguarda la cena.. nulla che mi abbia colpito a parte il servizio carente.. molte disattenzioni da parte dei camerieri che per un ristorante che si atteggia a posto di livello, non e' accettabile!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- INCREDIBLE VIEWmikeVIPDined on 8/24/2014Pricing but considering everything, money well spent View is incredible.Special Features:
- a little disappointingfoodieDined on 8/22/2014Food didn't hit the mark as some of the ingredients weren't ripe or best quality. The service was disappointing as my husband's water glass was always empty and neighbors had to keep asking for more bread. I would have expected the food and service to be better at a restaurant that charges $50 for lunch. If you have mobility issues, I would check to see if they can drive you up to the restaurant. There is a wooden bridge and outside stairs that need to be climbed to get to the restaurant. Still is a unique spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/21/2014Very expensive and worth every dollar. Food and ambiance doesn't get any better tan thisSpecial Features:
- The best restaurant in the Bay areaJeremieVIPDined on 8/16/2014Incredible view, outstanding service, extraordinary food, outstanding wine list. I cannot recommend this place enough, the price you pay is very reasonable for the level of quality you get. It is not diner anymore, it is a high-end experience above the clouds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NashvilleNashvilleVIPDined on 8/1/2014Make a late lunch due to fog. Long way to go. If handicapped, you will have a hard time walking up the stairs to the restaurant. The Ranch seemed a little dated, but views were wonderful once the sun appeared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sublime Decadence. Visual Ecstacy!Catreens1Dined on 7/21/2014Do it once in your life, but DO IT. THE ATTENTION TO DETAIL IS OUTSTANDING. THE STAFF ARE OF THE HIGHEST CALIBRE FROM THE MINUTE YOU ENTER THE PROPERTY TILL YOU LEAVE. THE BEST EXPERIENCE WEVE EVER HAD ON A VACATION. WORTH EVERY CENT.Special Features:
- Amazing viewPranjalVIPDined on 7/20/2014The food was amazing and so was the view and the price was just right!Special Features:
- Fabulous as alwaysPorscheTwoVIPDined on 7/19/2014I usually come for lunch on a weekday but braved the summer Saturday traffic this time. Despite the crowd, the service was perfect. The only thing I did not like was the new Pre Fix lunch menu which was very limited. I miss their old, much larger selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible viewsTylerDurdenDined on 7/12/2014Food was great - it was like dinner and a show because you could see whales pop out of the water. Pretty amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in Big SurJRHongKongDined on 7/8/2014Our dinner at Sierra Mar was one of the best dining experiences we have ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowBrutusDined on 7/2/2014Great experience dining here, both service and food were excellent. Our only disappointment was the dress code. The web site was quite clear on dress code so we dressed appropriately but several diners showed up and were seated in athletic shorts and tennis shoes. Not what we expected at a fine dining established. Overall though highly recommend for the food and the views.Special Features:
- Dinner above the cloudsSierramarDined on 6/22/2014We were fortunate with the weather. The inversion layer created a low pressure system pushing the clouds just below the dining room. It was an amazing sight. The food is a prefix and exceeds expectations. Staff is very knowledgable of menu items and wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stunning View & Gourmet GoodnessFoodLoverDined on 6/21/2014Post Ranch Inn is on the beautiful Big Sur Coast with the most stunning views of the Pacific! Add the Sierra Mar Restaurant into this and it's the best of everything! The service, tables with a view, wine & the food! It was our anniversary so we opted for the 9 course which actually came with a few extra surprises as well! It helps to be a gourmet foodie to truly appreciate all that is offered! And we LOVED it!Special Features:
- LovetolunchVIPDined on 6/16/2014Lovely lunch. Beautiful presentation of food. Just nice to take in Sierra Mar and the natural beauty surrounding Post Ranch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place for lunchiambrokeDined on 5/17/2014sat lunch for wife's birthday. not crowded, great view, service was wonderful, and food is great. my wife had the lamb and i had the wagyu burger. The lamb was really good and recommended. The wagyu burger was not bad, but was not great either, it was just meh. I had $10 burgers which tasted better. appetizer and desert was also just okay. i wish they had a bigger selection of items. the pricing is really expensive for what you get so you are really paying for the view (which is free on hw1).Special Features:
- Nice place, normal GoodLuigiDined on 5/3/2014I thought that food was gong to be outstanding, but was very normalSpecial Features:
- The following 179 reviews are from the Sierra Mar - Post Ranch Inn reviews archive.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/27/2014One of the best places I have ever been, great food and a beautiful view!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great Meal!foodforthoughtVIPDined on 4/8/2014Great execution on the 9 course tasting menu with wine pairings. Congrats Chef! Also Matt the sommelier did a nice job finding unique wines from around the world that matched up nicely with each dish, even more remarkable knowing the modest buying budget he has for the pairing option). We ended up buying a half case of our favorite from Sierra Mar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top-flight dining experienceJBGWVIPDined on 4/8/2014Probably the nicest lunch we've had in the last decade. Food was superlative and service was excellent. Enjoyed the prix fixe menu with wine pairings. Everything about this lunch was absolutely first rate! Have been coming to Post Ranch Inn since 1992 and the Sierra Mar has always delivered the freshest food prepared with amazing attention to detail -- complex dishes with singular flavor profiles in a one-of-a-kind setting. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- OKBigSurFriendVIPDined on 3/25/2014The three courses for lunch were absolutely delightful, but I do recommend buying a bottle of wine rather than the wine pairing, since the three pairings were less than two ounces each.Special Features:
- Food was okMickDined on 3/15/2014The location was spectacular and the service was excellent. The food for me was just ok compared to the price. The presentation was spectacular but the portions and tastes were small. We had a great time because of the service and the view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On the edge of the oceanOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/23/2014The special ocean tasting menu with wine pairing was superb. The staff gave great descriptions of the wine and food. The pheasant at the end of the main courses was the best I have ever eaten. Beautiful balance of sauce and flavor. We look forward to another food adventure there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful place for Valentine's DayRickzVIPDined on 2/14/2014Sierra Mar is a very special place. Sitting on the cliffs above Big Sur, the view is superb. The restaurant is beautifully designed with very nice spacing between tables allowing for quiet conversations. The service was excellent because of the well-trained staff and the more than adequate ratio compared to the number of patrons. The fixed price meal was served at a very leisurely pace with nice breaks between courses. The menu provides a lot of nice choices and when asked the restaurant was willing to accommodate some changes. The carrot soup, poached pear, black cod, wagyu burger, toffee cake, and chocolate were all delicious and plated very nicely. They could not have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food ArtajmdDined on 2/1/2014For our 3 year anniversary, my boyfriend and I dined at Sierra Mar for the 3rd time. It was, as always, a magical experience. As the sun sets over the ocean you enjoy what can only be described as food art. We ordered the 9 course tasting menu and determined that between the complementary appetizers before the 9-courses, the unique breads, the 9-courses, and delicious cocktails, we each sampled nearly 30 preparations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food with a viewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/18/2014The food was excellent. The servers take time to bring all the three course meals. Gives you enough time to soak in the scenic view of the grand pacific ocean. You might spot a few whales if you are lucky! Overall a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectFriscoVIPDined on 1/13/2014I had lunch last week and it was amazing… the food is very good, they have a special lunch menu that's excellent but what makes it unique is the place and the setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great restaurant: food andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/3/2014A great restaurant: food and service match and nearly overshadow the amazing locationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunset SpecialTomandBevDined on 12/30/2013A very romantic spot overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Interesting Four Course Menu with a variety of unique options. For those not staying at the Post Ranch Inn, this is a must. Expensive and worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BeautifulfoodievickieVIPDined on 12/22/2013We have eaten here several times. It is always a wonderful meal. But we feel over-priced. In 1993 it was $50 for the dinner, now over $100. Maybe that is the way it goes.Special Features:
- Very disappointingcelesteVIPDined on 12/3/2013This used to be one of my favorite restaurants in the world. It has plummeted in quality and is now wildly overpriced and serving mediocre, uninspired food.
- ViewMichDined on 10/19/2013Sierra Mar has a beautiful view. The food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a treatBernieVIPDined on 10/18/2013To dine at the post ranch inn and enjoy the first Class experience was indeed a special treat. The wine pairing made everything perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed a late lunch withVAtravelerDined on 10/18/2013We enjoyed a late lunch with wine pairings. We were there for over 2 hours. I really felt we'd been forgotten between courses. Location and architecture really cool.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesometarlaVIPDined on 10/16/2013I spend a few days in big sur every year and on each trip I make sure to have lunch or dinner at sierra mar. The food and dining experience is always perfection - it just can't get any better than that.Special Features:
- Worth the 3hr drive for lunch48BentleyVIPDined on 10/13/2013The best ocean views in the state of California! Great prix fix menu and one of the best wine list around. Come for lunch and enjoy the day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch overlooking the pacificAnthonyDined on 9/16/2013The post ranch inn lunch tasting menu (with pairing) is an absolute delight. If you're hiking in the area and need a little pampering, this is the most amazing spot with delicious ramifications.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular meal, wine and viewOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/11/2013Should you be lucky enough to be in Big Sur, you must eat a meal at Sierra Mar. Because they accommodate guests at the Post Ranch Inn with preferred dining times, dinner reservations for non-guests are limited to either 5:30 or 8:45. Not a problem at all as the 5:30 reservation actually allowed us the full sunset experience throughout our meal. Dinner is a 4 course prix fixe [currently $120 per person] with a changing menu based on seasonal availability. We each had the corn soup as our 2nd course, having started with the salad and shaved speck. I went with the scorpion while my wife had the black truffle gnochi for entrees. My dessert was a bountiful cheese course. Ask to see the larger wine list-tremendous bottles-and helpful somm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sierra Mar was just wonderful.NancyDined on 9/8/2013Sierra Mar was just wonderful. We had an amazing view, in a beautiful location (even though we were shrouded in fog). The whole evening was really special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.