Sierra Mar - Post Ranch Inn
47900 State Highway 1
Big Sur, CA 93920Neighborhood:
OrganicPrice: $50 and over
Sierra Mar - Post Ranch Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://postranchinn.com/
- Phone: 8316672800
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Sunday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Californian
- Executive Chef: Craig Von Foerster
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access
A word from Sierra Mar - Post Ranch Inn
Overlooking the Pacific Ocean with a spectacular view of the California coast, the award winning Sierra Mar Restaurant serves world-class cuisine in an awe-inspiring setting. This Big Sur restaurant features an innovative, four course, prix fixe menu, which changes daily and utilizes organic, seasonal fare. Sierra Mar offers wine selections from one of the most extensive collections in North America.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Sierra Mar - Post Ranch Inn - Best Restaurants in Big Sur ›
Sierra Mar - Post Ranch Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since June 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.9Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (43)romantic (39)special occasion (39)great for lunch (27)fit for foodies (26)notable wine list (20)great for outdoor dining (16)great for brunch (10)hot spot (7)neighborhood gem (6)good for groups (2)vibrant bar scene (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Exceptional tasting lunchRocklinBobDined on 10/15/2014The food at Sierra Mar was so good that it competed with the exceptional view and won hands down. A five-course tasting menu began with an amuse bouche of Quilcene oysters on the half-shell and proceeded to cold-smoked venison tartare with bold mustard on a rye crisp, a perfect pairing with the oysters. Next up was Monterey Bay farmed abalone drenched in buttermilk, miso and clarified brown butter. Course three was a perfect grass-fed tenderloin of beef with savory corn pudding and dried green and red tomato slices, followed by San Luis Obispo Schoch cheese, acorn bread, and apple butter. The desert course of caramelia mousse and chocolate brioche with bay laurel ash. Lyle, our local waiter, the chef's crew and staff made us feel special.Special Features:
- expensive but worth itMelOnWheelsVIPDined on 10/2/2014if you're choosing the place to go in big sur with a view, this is it. ventana inn has nothing on this place...the presentation, the quality and the choice was so much better here at the Post Ranch Inn, it's no contestSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/30/2014The most amazing restaurant I have ever been to! The view is breathtaking and the food is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion diningPatrVIPDined on 9/18/2014We enjoyed visiting Sierra Mar once again.....the setting is breath taking and the staff are very attentive and kind.Special Features:
- Special experiencejcsunVIPDined on 9/17/2014Hard to get a rez but worth it. Visiting Bug Sur for the first time and on our baby moon, we're from NYC. Expensive but perfect for special occasion. The view is breathtaking. Food is impeccable. At first I thought the small portions would leave us feeling hungry but we were stuffed by the end. We both ordered the tenderloin and short rib as main course and loved it. Everything from the bread they serve to the courses are well thought out and detailed. High quality. Special place for us. Hope to be back.Special Features:
- Still A Good BetFormerChicagoFoodieVIPDined on 9/14/2014I have enjoyed Sierra Mar several times and we always bring guests from out of town. The views are spectacular. The service was outstanding - all of our guests agreed. This time, the food was a little less than we have come to expect, unfortunately. While most dishes were good, we felt the first courses were really well done, but for mains, the risotto was a little one-note and my own was mostly fat (the chef did provide me with another piece of meat). All-in-all, a spectacular place to dine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best and keeps getting betterRickzVIPDined on 9/6/2014Absolutely love this place. The service is excellent (we always make a reservation) from the moment we walk in the door. The fixed price menu and wine pairings are great. The wines are varied depending on the appetizer, entree and dessert selections. Everything is perfect. We can't wait to go back. Not only do we recommend Sierra Mar to friends but we bring them there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeNettoDined on 9/4/2014It's a wonderul place. Worth take a lunch there. I recommend.Special Features:
- great timesleatsierraDined on 9/1/2014Sierra Mar, food and ambiance are in one of my top 5 restaurants now. The view of Pacific is spectacular the drive to the restaurant from Monterey is without question beautiful. food was excellent in all waysSpecial Features:
- Elevated diningLHeatsDined on 9/1/2014The views (we saw whales everywhere!) is only rivaled by the careful attention to the menu. We loved every item. Great wine list too. We've eaten at some of the best restaurants in the world and would count this one among them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!AdairDined on 8/30/2014My boyfriend and I spent our anniversary here and did the tasting menu! The night was special and perfect! Loved everything about it! Especially enjoying our dessert outside by the firepits with the moon reflecting on the water. A night I will never forget.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- location and no more..giu2dineDined on 8/24/2014Posizione fantastica.. sembra di fluttuare sul mare... per quanto riguarda la cena.. nulla che mi abbia colpito a parte il servizio carente.. molte disattenzioni da parte dei camerieri che per un ristorante che si atteggia a posto di livello, non e' accettabile!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- INCREDIBLE VIEWmikeVIPDined on 8/24/2014Pricing but considering everything, money well spent View is incredible.Special Features:
- a little disappointingfoodieVIPDined on 8/22/2014Food didn't hit the mark as some of the ingredients weren't ripe or best quality. The service was disappointing as my husband's water glass was always empty and neighbors had to keep asking for more bread. I would have expected the food and service to be better at a restaurant that charges $50 for lunch. If you have mobility issues, I would check to see if they can drive you up to the restaurant. There is a wooden bridge and outside stairs that need to be climbed to get to the restaurant. Still is a unique spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/21/2014Very expensive and worth every dollar. Food and ambiance doesn't get any better tan thisSpecial Features:
- The best restaurant in the Bay areaJeremieVIPDined on 8/16/2014Incredible view, outstanding service, extraordinary food, outstanding wine list. I cannot recommend this place enough, the price you pay is very reasonable for the level of quality you get. It is not diner anymore, it is a high-end experience above the clouds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Utterly charmingwgiverVIPDined on 8/6/2014I had the prix fixe lunch and loved the whole experience. The atmosphere feels luxurious, from the wood-iron-glass decor to the fresh cloth towels in the bathroom for drying your hands. The tiered floor was so smart, allowing all diners to enjoy the view. As for the food, I left full and content. I liked being able to choose among several options for each course. The herbs were so fragrant it was clear they were picked that morning. Very nice balance of flavors on each dish. Service - although we had to ask for bread twice (rather than it being offered), the meal was relaxed not rushed, and we especially appreciated that our server allowed us to sip coffee and watch the clouds for a while after dessert. I'd return in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- NashvilleNashvilleVIPDined on 8/1/2014Make a late lunch due to fog. Long way to go. If handicapped, you will have a hard time walking up the stairs to the restaurant. The Ranch seemed a little dated, but views were wonderful once the sun appeared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sublime Decadence. Visual Ecstacy!Catreens1Dined on 7/21/2014Do it once in your life, but DO IT. THE ATTENTION TO DETAIL IS OUTSTANDING. THE STAFF ARE OF THE HIGHEST CALIBRE FROM THE MINUTE YOU ENTER THE PROPERTY TILL YOU LEAVE. THE BEST EXPERIENCE WEVE EVER HAD ON A VACATION. WORTH EVERY CENT.Special Features:
- Amazing viewPranjalVIPDined on 7/20/2014The food was amazing and so was the view and the price was just right!Special Features:
- Fabulous as alwaysPorscheTwoVIPDined on 7/19/2014I usually come for lunch on a weekday but braved the summer Saturday traffic this time. Despite the crowd, the service was perfect. The only thing I did not like was the new Pre Fix lunch menu which was very limited. I miss their old, much larger selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible viewsTylerDurdenDined on 7/12/2014Food was great - it was like dinner and a show because you could see whales pop out of the water. Pretty amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unforgettable eveningFrenchieDined on 7/11/2014I booked this reservation for my husband's 50th birthday dinner. We were seated right in front of the window looking over the ocean and had the most remarkable dinner. The service wasn't super speedy, but actually we enjoyed that because the experience was so great, as was the food, we really were not in any hurry to rush out. This is one place I'd put on the must do list when visiting Big Sur.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in Big SurJRHongKongDined on 7/8/2014Our dinner at Sierra Mar was one of the best dining experiences we have ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowBrutusDined on 7/2/2014Great experience dining here, both service and food were excellent. Our only disappointment was the dress code. The web site was quite clear on dress code so we dressed appropriately but several diners showed up and were seated in athletic shorts and tennis shoes. Not what we expected at a fine dining established. Overall though highly recommend for the food and the views.Special Features:
- Dinner above the cloudsSierramarDined on 6/22/2014We were fortunate with the weather. The inversion layer created a low pressure system pushing the clouds just below the dining room. It was an amazing sight. The food is a prefix and exceeds expectations. Staff is very knowledgable of menu items and wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stunning View & Gourmet GoodnessFoodLoverDined on 6/21/2014Post Ranch Inn is on the beautiful Big Sur Coast with the most stunning views of the Pacific! Add the Sierra Mar Restaurant into this and it's the best of everything! The service, tables with a view, wine & the food! It was our anniversary so we opted for the 9 course which actually came with a few extra surprises as well! It helps to be a gourmet foodie to truly appreciate all that is offered! And we LOVED it!Special Features:
- The following 181 reviews are from the Sierra Mar - Post Ranch Inn reviews archive.
- LovetolunchVIPDined on 6/16/2014Lovely lunch. Beautiful presentation of food. Just nice to take in Sierra Mar and the natural beauty surrounding Post Ranch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place for lunchiambrokeDined on 5/17/2014sat lunch for wife's birthday. not crowded, great view, service was wonderful, and food is great. my wife had the lamb and i had the wagyu burger. The lamb was really good and recommended. The wagyu burger was not bad, but was not great either, it was just meh. I had $10 burgers which tasted better. appetizer and desert was also just okay. i wish they had a bigger selection of items. the pricing is really expensive for what you get so you are really paying for the view (which is free on hw1).Special Features:
- Nice place, normal GoodLuigiDined on 5/3/2014I thought that food was gong to be outstanding, but was very normalSpecial Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/27/2014One of the best places I have ever been, great food and a beautiful view!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great Meal!foodforthoughtVIPDined on 4/8/2014Great execution on the 9 course tasting menu with wine pairings. Congrats Chef! Also Matt the sommelier did a nice job finding unique wines from around the world that matched up nicely with each dish, even more remarkable knowing the modest buying budget he has for the pairing option). We ended up buying a half case of our favorite from Sierra Mar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top-flight dining experienceJBGWVIPDined on 4/8/2014Probably the nicest lunch we've had in the last decade. Food was superlative and service was excellent. Enjoyed the prix fixe menu with wine pairings. Everything about this lunch was absolutely first rate! Have been coming to Post Ranch Inn since 1992 and the Sierra Mar has always delivered the freshest food prepared with amazing attention to detail -- complex dishes with singular flavor profiles in a one-of-a-kind setting. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- OKBigSurFriendVIPDined on 3/25/2014The three courses for lunch were absolutely delightful, but I do recommend buying a bottle of wine rather than the wine pairing, since the three pairings were less than two ounces each.Special Features:
- Food was okMickDined on 3/15/2014The location was spectacular and the service was excellent. The food for me was just ok compared to the price. The presentation was spectacular but the portions and tastes were small. We had a great time because of the service and the view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On the edge of the oceanOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/23/2014The special ocean tasting menu with wine pairing was superb. The staff gave great descriptions of the wine and food. The pheasant at the end of the main courses was the best I have ever eaten. Beautiful balance of sauce and flavor. We look forward to another food adventure there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful place for Valentine's DayRickzVIPDined on 2/14/2014Sierra Mar is a very special place. Sitting on the cliffs above Big Sur, the view is superb. The restaurant is beautifully designed with very nice spacing between tables allowing for quiet conversations. The service was excellent because of the well-trained staff and the more than adequate ratio compared to the number of patrons. The fixed price meal was served at a very leisurely pace with nice breaks between courses. The menu provides a lot of nice choices and when asked the restaurant was willing to accommodate some changes. The carrot soup, poached pear, black cod, wagyu burger, toffee cake, and chocolate were all delicious and plated very nicely. They could not have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food ArtajmdDined on 2/1/2014For our 3 year anniversary, my boyfriend and I dined at Sierra Mar for the 3rd time. It was, as always, a magical experience. As the sun sets over the ocean you enjoy what can only be described as food art. We ordered the 9 course tasting menu and determined that between the complementary appetizers before the 9-courses, the unique breads, the 9-courses, and delicious cocktails, we each sampled nearly 30 preparations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food with a viewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/18/2014The food was excellent. The servers take time to bring all the three course meals. Gives you enough time to soak in the scenic view of the grand pacific ocean. You might spot a few whales if you are lucky! Overall a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectFriscoVIPDined on 1/13/2014I had lunch last week and it was amazing… the food is very good, they have a special lunch menu that's excellent but what makes it unique is the place and the setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.