Sides Hardware and Shoes - A Brothers Restaurant
2375 Alamo Pintado Avenue
Los Olivos, CA 93441Neighborhood:
Santa Ynez Valley
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Sides Hardware and Shoes - A Brothers Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sidesrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (805) 688-4820 ext. 103
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 8:30pm (until 9:00pm Friday and Saturday)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Cherney
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: No catering offered at this time.
- Entertainment: No live entertainment is scheduled at this time.
- Special Events: For special events, please contact Brie Cromer, General Manager. 805.688.4820 ext. 101
- Cross Street: Grand Avenue
- Public Transit: Routes A and B stop across the street from Sides Hardware and Shoes. Please check www.syvt.com for route information.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Locals and visitors alike will find parking at the front of the building. There is additional parking across the street and around the small township of Los Olivos. All Los Olivos is within walking distance.
A word from Sides Hardware and Shoes - A Brothers Restaurant
Named for its original storefront, Sides Hardware and Shoes serves new American comfort food. You'll experience excellent service and phenomenal cuisine in this casual Los Olivos scene.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Sides Hardware and Shoes - A Brothers Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Santa Ynez Valley ›
Sides Hardware and Shoes - A Brothers Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (38)neighborhood gem (27)special occasion (13)notable wine list (13)great for lunch (12)great for outdoor dining (11)good for groups (7)romantic (6)hot spot (5)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Lacks AtmosphereTbillDined on 11/15/2014It was the first time I'd had dinner--usually lunch. The food was fantastic, but there was a table of ladies near us who were completely obnoxious. Their voices and loud laughter carried throughout the whole restaurant. It might have gone unnoticed had I been with a larger crowd, but I was trying to have a conversation with my husband. I think I'll stick to lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALWAYS Great here!KathyVIPDined on 11/13/2014The food is always great. the soups are always creative and awesome. Best of all are the people!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great As AlwaysDoBeeVIPDined on 10/31/2014The Sides menu has evolved into unique choices in the SYV. Some of the original fried selections have been replaces with more refined and delicious plates. That being said, two of us had the long standing steamed with frites, both deliciously flavored, and the other two in our party had the beautiful duck breast and salmon. The Brothers always have standout seafood, fresh, interesting and properly cooked. We went on Halloween, so it wasn't as packed as usual. The noise level was under control. Great bar and tini's. A local hangout and favorite.Special Features:
- Intimate, distinctive local gemBulldog80Dined on 10/27/2014Simply one of the best the Santa Ynez Valley has to offer. Intimate setting, good service, good wine list and distinctive specials accompanying a solid regular menu. Locally raised produce as to season and wines available by the glass, carafe or bottle.Special Features:
- Wonderful experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/23/2014Couldn't wait to return to Sides from a visit last year. Was not disappointed, had a dinner for 2 out of 4 appetizers. 3 of them had the amazing bacon. Brussel sprouts were very delicious too. After a day of wine tastings, the excellent cocktails hit the spot! We came kinda early, the servers were fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a tacky tourist spotsunnyDayzDined on 10/21/2014We really enjoyed our meals. My favorite was the sweet pea risotto that came with my fish. The mussels that accompanied it were a bit bland however. The ambiance and service was excellent! It was too bad that the parents of the badly behaved child at the table next to us didn't get their meals to go. In addition to the screaming he actually threw a piece of bread at our table at one point. Seriously?!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A treatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014This is the third time we have visited Sides. Always a treat. Try anything with bacon. It is made on premisis.Special Features:
- Great spotpatch24Dined on 10/11/2014The staff seemed a little reticent to accommodate seating for 6, but once we put together 2 and 4 person tables we made it work. Food was exemplary! Service was awesome! We had a fantastic time. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Harvest WeekendCuriousMonkeyDined on 10/10/2014Once again the experience was incredible. Had the Fried Calamari to start followed by the Diver Scallops and Colorado Lamb Sirloin. I have to say that was the best Lamb I have ever had. Washed it all down with some Kaena Grenache - Santa Ynez Valley 2012Special Features:
- TFKathyVIPDined on 9/21/2014Great as always, food is second to none and staff is awesome.Special Features:
- Great food!BamBamDined on 9/21/2014We always make it a point to hit Sides when we are in Los Olivos. The food is always amazing. Unfortunately, this time the service was deplorable. It took forever for anyone to take our order and getting a refill of water was out of the question.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Strange Name, Great Food!CraigVIPDined on 9/20/2014Really enjoyed ourselves this past weekend! Super friendly and knowledgeable service. The calamari was fantastic (with onions and jalepenos), the "special" salad was incredible. For entries, we had the Fried Chicken and the Pork Cheek, both of which were delectable! The dessert was chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwich (ice cream was maple bacon flavored) and was decadent! And all at a very fair price - highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Your Ordinary Hardware StoreBBNMDined on 9/19/2014We were quite lucky to have Sides recommended. It's a fairly small restaurant and lounge. They vary the menu and we had no problem finding some great choices. Our meals were excellent and we enjoyed the whole experience. Hope we get a chance to return.Special Features:
- VERY GOOD DINING EXPERIENCESidesFanDined on 9/8/2014A unique and delicious menu. Somewhat pricy but, worth it. Over-all a fascinating and enjoyable dining experience.Special Features:
- Always a treat!GeneDined on 9/7/2014We live 4 miles away and this is our favorite in the Santa Ynez Valley.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014Our food was very good -- my husband has the Little Gem Salad and the Sea Bass and I had the Mellon Soup and the Sea Scallops. We enjoyed our dishes with the exception of the scallops being a tad salty and oily. On the down side, I wish we had sat outside. The tall ceilings and cement floor make for a very noisy atmosphere (so loud we couldn't here the music from the speakers) when the restaurant was busy. I would also say that although our waiter was nice and polite he didn't know the wine list or the liquor choices (didn't know the whiskeys at all) and basically read a script to us. We would go back again, sit outside and hope for a more seasoned server.
- Fine Dining in Los OlivosDahliaDined on 9/4/2014We had dinner on a Thursday evening at Sides Hardware and Shoes. The restaurant looks a little like an old movie set. The building appears to be turn of the century rustic with a western vibe. We sat on the front porch around sunset, enjoyed the view of this small quaint town,and a glass of local red wine. The starter we enjoyed was a "bacon Steak", with fresh peaches and greens. The salad with baby lettuces and beets was wonderful, and our entree was the steak au poivre with asparagus and fingerling potatoes. This was excellent. The wait staff were attentive. Will definitely return!Special Features:
- Very HeavyRudeWelcomeVIPDined on 8/30/2014Food is very heavy. If you like bacon, it is the place for you because everything has bacon. Unfortunately, we had very average service this last time. It was a relatively slow Saturday night and not only did our server seem anxious for us to leave, but he was not very attentive. We only asked for water about 3 times, and he was very slow with the drinks.Special Features:
- Favorite in Los OlivosOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/21/2014I come to Sides every time I am in Los Olivos. Lunch is great, dinner has inspired dishes that are always perfectly executed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingHowieDined on 8/19/2014Excellent meal and outstanding service! The specialty bacon appetizer is to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 286 reviews are from the Sides Hardware and Shoes - A Brothers Restaurant reviews archive.
- A gem of a find for central coastNipomofoodieDined on 7/28/2014We had an absolutely wonderful dinner here on out 47th anniversary dinner. We had 2 appetizers, Side's special bacon with peaches and steamed buns (folded like a small taco) with a bacon and veggie filling. The servings were so big that we decided to split our dinner of sliced lamb... Another mouth watering delight with a fantastic sauce and gnocchi. Dessert was an ice cream Sundae. All desserts are made on site and I wish we'd had the appetite to try more. Sides has gone on our "definitely go again" list. We eat quite often in San Francisco and this place rivals most of SF's better places for 1/3 the price. We also like the casual ambiance and the conversational noise level.Special Features:
- Frustrating eveningCaptainjack53Dined on 7/20/2014The food was good and the ambience was great. We sat outside on a nice night. The only complaint was the service--it was ok except for one thing. I asked for a glass of water 4 times of three people and never got one. Otherwise it was a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bacon SteakBlueskiesDined on 7/18/2014Whatever they are serving with applewood smoked maple glazed bacon steak, order it. We savored the panzanella with peaches, balsamic and bacon steak. Everything was spot on and delightfully casual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!LetzeatoutDined on 7/18/2014The market salad was amazing with zucchini, radishes, onion, tomatoes all sliced very thin. I had the Scottish salmon and my husband had the steak au poivre. Both excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NevilleDined on 7/16/2014Great place for dinner after a day of wine tasting!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New favoriteGlutenFreeDinerDined on 7/13/2014The food and atmosphere were excellent. The sauteed brussels sprouts appetizer was an unexpected favorite of everyone at the table. The Colorado lamb and Scottish salmon were terrific too. We finished with a dark chocolate and coconut confection that was scrumptious and not overfilling, I had iced tea to drink - which seems like a simple choice but is easy to mess up. Theirs is perfect with a clean refreshing taste. The waitress was friendly and unobtrusively attentive and knowledge, easily accommodating my gluten free diet. The person who was supposed to bring replacements for bread for my family was a little slow. We will definitely return for special occasions though the price is a little steep for a regular hangout.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FG was hereOCwinosDined on 7/12/2014Dinner was very good. This was our second time here. One in our party thought the gnocchi was too salty, but the reads of the food was excellent. Love the roasted brussels sprouts and the mussels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in the areascooterDined on 7/7/2014Have had some real disappointing meals in Los Olivos, Santa Ynez, and Solvang. Not here. Service and a visit by the chef goes a long way when you also have exceptional food. Ballard Inn also excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good recommendationeatingwellDined on 6/21/2014the restaurant was recommended by the front desk manager of the hotel we stayed at. definitely a "right on" recommendation. Be sure they mention the special items of the day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014Love anything on their menu with the homemade baconSpecial Features:
- Good but not GreatRonNDined on 6/20/2014I hate to start with "the service was great" but I will. Great service from the time we walked in until the time we left. The food was fine but nothing outstanding as the prices would suggest. Would I return??? Probably not, but it was good enough the first time and we were happy we went. Would I recommend this to a friend.....I would but I would point out that it won't fill you up and for the price point you should be able to find something a littler nicer.Special Features:
- Good, but just goodfoodwineloverDined on 6/17/2014This is a good restaurant with some interesting wrinkles on the menu. My wife had the sea bass, which she thought good but unremarkable. I had the fried chicken, which was cooked perfectly. However, I thought the batter lacked seasoning or spice or something to really add the 'wow' factor. The risotto and au jus was more exciting than the chicken to be honest, which made for an enjoyable dish but not a knockout. Good food, but not the premier flavors I was hoping for.Special Features:
- 1st TimerssherDined on 6/14/2014It was soooooo delish!!!!!!!! Definitely coming backSpecial Features:
- Great MealwinesanddinesDined on 6/7/2014We happened upon this restaurant about 2 years ago, and was finally able to get back. Same great food & people. Even fellow diners were happy to let us taste their meal of mussels! We, in turn, shared our Evans Ranch wine. Slight corkage fee, but so worth it! Always too full for dessert though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RusticSportivoVIPDined on 6/7/2014While the ambience may not be fantastic (in my opinion, a little stark), the food is worth the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeBigDogVegasVIPDined on 6/6/2014Excellent food, the local mussels were great. Service very good, you will enjoy going. We do miss Patrick though!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/6/2014The fried avocado ceviche and fried brussel sprouts were fabulous. Also LOVED the sweeteenie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodSambamDined on 6/6/2014The Brothers have done it again. Simply gourmet food. Excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/31/2014Wonderfully inventive without fuss! Each course was delicious without fail especially the popcorn ice cream.............Special Features:
- Great PlaceGeoLinVIPDined on 5/31/2014Some of the best food that I have had in a long time. Cold Pea Soup with cucumber and Salmon entree were awesome. We'll be back.Special Features: