Sides Hardware and Shoes - A Brothers Restaurant
2375 Alamo Pintado Avenue
Los Olivos, CA 93441Neighborhood:
Santa Ynez Valley
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Sides Hardware and Shoes - A Brothers Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sidesrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8056884820x103
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 2:30pm;
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 8:30pm (until 9:00pm Friday and Saturday)
We take reservations for dinner only.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Cherney
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: No catering offered at this time.
- Entertainment: No live entertainment is scheduled at this time.
- Special Events: For special events, please contact Brie Cromer, General Manager. 805.688.4820 ext. 101
- Cross Street: Grand Avenue
- Public Transit: Routes A and B stop across the street from Sides Hardware and Shoes. Please check www.syvt.com for route information.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Locals and visitors alike will find parking at the front of the building. There is additional parking across the street and around the small township of Los Olivos. All Los Olivos is within walking distance.
A word from Sides Hardware and Shoes - A Brothers Restaurant
Named for its original storefront, Sides Hardware and Shoes serves new American comfort food. You'll experience excellent service and phenomenal cuisine in this casual Los Olivos scene.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Sides Hardware and Shoes - A Brothers Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Santa Ynez Valley ›
Sides Hardware and Shoes - A Brothers Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (47)neighborhood gem (31)special occasion (21)great for outdoor dining (21)notable wine list (17)great for lunch (13)romantic (8)good for groups (7)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- VERY GOOD DINING EXPERIENCESidesFanDined on 9/8/2014A unique and delicious menu. Somewhat pricy but, worth it. Over-all a fascinating and enjoyable dining experience.Special Features:
- Always a treat!GeneDined on 9/7/2014We live 4 miles away and this is our favorite in the Santa Ynez Valley.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014Our food was very good -- my husband has the Little Gem Salad and the Sea Bass and I had the Mellon Soup and the Sea Scallops. We enjoyed our dishes with the exception of the scallops being a tad salty and oily. On the down side, I wish we had sat outside. The tall ceilings and cement floor make for a very noisy atmosphere (so loud we couldn't here the music from the speakers) when the restaurant was busy. I would also say that although our waiter was nice and polite he didn't know the wine list or the liquor choices (didn't know the whiskeys at all) and basically read a script to us. We would go back again, sit outside and hope for a more seasoned server.
- Fine Dining in Los OlivosDahliaDined on 9/4/2014We had dinner on a Thursday evening at Sides Hardware and Shoes. The restaurant looks a little like an old movie set. The building appears to be turn of the century rustic with a western vibe. We sat on the front porch around sunset, enjoyed the view of this small quaint town,and a glass of local red wine. The starter we enjoyed was a "bacon Steak", with fresh peaches and greens. The salad with baby lettuces and beets was wonderful, and our entree was the steak au poivre with asparagus and fingerling potatoes. This was excellent. The wait staff were attentive. Will definitely return!Special Features:
- Very HeavyRudeWelcomeVIPDined on 8/30/2014Food is very heavy. If you like bacon, it is the place for you because everything has bacon. Unfortunately, we had very average service this last time. It was a relatively slow Saturday night and not only did our server seem anxious for us to leave, but he was not very attentive. We only asked for water about 3 times, and he was very slow with the drinks.Special Features:
- Favorite in Los OlivosOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/21/2014I come to Sides every time I am in Los Olivos. Lunch is great, dinner has inspired dishes that are always perfectly executed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingHowieDined on 8/19/2014Excellent meal and outstanding service! The specialty bacon appetizer is to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem of a find for central coastNipomofoodieDined on 7/28/2014We had an absolutely wonderful dinner here on out 47th anniversary dinner. We had 2 appetizers, Side's special bacon with peaches and steamed buns (folded like a small taco) with a bacon and veggie filling. The servings were so big that we decided to split our dinner of sliced lamb... Another mouth watering delight with a fantastic sauce and gnocchi. Dessert was an ice cream Sundae. All desserts are made on site and I wish we'd had the appetite to try more. Sides has gone on our "definitely go again" list. We eat quite often in San Francisco and this place rivals most of SF's better places for 1/3 the price. We also like the casual ambiance and the conversational noise level.Special Features:
- Frustrating eveningCaptainjack53Dined on 7/20/2014The food was good and the ambience was great. We sat outside on a nice night. The only complaint was the service--it was ok except for one thing. I asked for a glass of water 4 times of three people and never got one. Otherwise it was a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bacon SteakBlueskiesDined on 7/18/2014Whatever they are serving with applewood smoked maple glazed bacon steak, order it. We savored the panzanella with peaches, balsamic and bacon steak. Everything was spot on and delightfully casual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!LetzeatoutDined on 7/18/2014The market salad was amazing with zucchini, radishes, onion, tomatoes all sliced very thin. I had the Scottish salmon and my husband had the steak au poivre. Both excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NevilleDined on 7/16/2014Great place for dinner after a day of wine tasting!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New favoriteGlutenFreeDinerDined on 7/13/2014The food and atmosphere were excellent. The sauteed brussels sprouts appetizer was an unexpected favorite of everyone at the table. The Colorado lamb and Scottish salmon were terrific too. We finished with a dark chocolate and coconut confection that was scrumptious and not overfilling, I had iced tea to drink - which seems like a simple choice but is easy to mess up. Theirs is perfect with a clean refreshing taste. The waitress was friendly and unobtrusively attentive and knowledge, easily accommodating my gluten free diet. The person who was supposed to bring replacements for bread for my family was a little slow. We will definitely return for special occasions though the price is a little steep for a regular hangout.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FG was hereOCwinosDined on 7/12/2014Dinner was very good. This was our second time here. One in our party thought the gnocchi was too salty, but the reads of the food was excellent. Love the roasted brussels sprouts and the mussels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in the areascooterDined on 7/7/2014Have had some real disappointing meals in Los Olivos, Santa Ynez, and Solvang. Not here. Service and a visit by the chef goes a long way when you also have exceptional food. Ballard Inn also excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good recommendationeatingwellDined on 6/21/2014the restaurant was recommended by the front desk manager of the hotel we stayed at. definitely a "right on" recommendation. Be sure they mention the special items of the day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014Love anything on their menu with the homemade baconSpecial Features:
- Good but not GreatRonNDined on 6/20/2014I hate to start with "the service was great" but I will. Great service from the time we walked in until the time we left. The food was fine but nothing outstanding as the prices would suggest. Would I return??? Probably not, but it was good enough the first time and we were happy we went. Would I recommend this to a friend.....I would but I would point out that it won't fill you up and for the price point you should be able to find something a littler nicer.Special Features:
- Good, but just goodfoodwineloverDined on 6/17/2014This is a good restaurant with some interesting wrinkles on the menu. My wife had the sea bass, which she thought good but unremarkable. I had the fried chicken, which was cooked perfectly. However, I thought the batter lacked seasoning or spice or something to really add the 'wow' factor. The risotto and au jus was more exciting than the chicken to be honest, which made for an enjoyable dish but not a knockout. Good food, but not the premier flavors I was hoping for.Special Features:
- 1st TimerssherDined on 6/14/2014It was soooooo delish!!!!!!!! Definitely coming backSpecial Features:
- Great MealwinesanddinesDined on 6/7/2014We happened upon this restaurant about 2 years ago, and was finally able to get back. Same great food & people. Even fellow diners were happy to let us taste their meal of mussels! We, in turn, shared our Evans Ranch wine. Slight corkage fee, but so worth it! Always too full for dessert though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RusticSportivoVIPDined on 6/7/2014While the ambience may not be fantastic (in my opinion, a little stark), the food is worth the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeBigDogVegasVIPDined on 6/6/2014Excellent food, the local mussels were great. Service very good, you will enjoy going. We do miss Patrick though!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/6/2014The fried avocado ceviche and fried brussel sprouts were fabulous. Also LOVED the sweeteenie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodSambamDined on 6/6/2014The Brothers have done it again. Simply gourmet food. Excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/31/2014Wonderfully inventive without fuss! Each course was delicious without fail especially the popcorn ice cream.............Special Features:
- Great PlaceGeoLinVIPDined on 5/31/2014Some of the best food that I have had in a long time. Cold Pea Soup with cucumber and Salmon entree were awesome. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Food could have been better!EricDined on 5/25/2014We read that this restaurant was owned by the same brothers that used to own Mattie's Tavern and we were always happy with our meal, the ambience, and service at Mattie's. However, we felt nothing much was done to make the decor special or note worthy but because it was crowded we felt that probably the food was good. The menu did have a salmon that sounded good but we both opted for the scallops which looked great when they came out to other diners. Unfortunately, the giant scallops were so salty that we both had a sore mouth after we ate most of the meal. We reported it to the waitress whose response was, "I'll let the chef know". Nothing was done to rectify the issue for us. We won't go back.
- WowJgurlDined on 5/24/2014One of the best dinners I've ever had. Chilled pea soup - extraordinary! Steak au poivre, asparagus - perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 264 reviews are from the Sides Hardware and Shoes - A Brothers Restaurant reviews archive.
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014Everyone has raved about the Brussels sprouts, and they were quite tasty! But too greasy... Everything else was wonderful! Service was good, as well!Special Features:
- Always a PleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/17/2014I don't get to Paso Robles often but when I do I ALWAYS go to Sides. I was there when it as Mattie's Tavern and as disappointed as I was for the move from the other location, I was glad to know it wasn't closed permanently. I love the food and the staff.Special Features:
- Still savoringVintageFrenchDined on 5/16/2014After trying a not-quite-making-it attempt at fried chicken (full disclosure, I'm a Southerner) on my first visit to Sides, I was happy to be totally wowed by the pork cheeks dish (the roasted carrots were memorable. When was the last time you had memorable carrots?) I ordered, while my companion had an amazing scallops and house-made bacon dish. I wish we had stopped there, but we ordered dessert -- macaroons and sorbet sandwiches. It was fine, but not on par with the main entree. The "spring salad" with which we both started our meal was beautiful to look at and filled with lovely taste surprises that melded perfectly. We sat outside on a lovely Friday evening and had a friendly, knowledgeable server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow.TinteraVIPDined on 5/11/2014I admit that after a day of wine tasting, I was expecting this place which used to be a hardware store (hence the name) to have decent bar food and sandwiches. I did not expect to have one of the best meals of my life. Perfect Hendrick's martini. The garlic soup was velvety. People use that too often, but this soup was truly velvety. Rich as a good potato soup with a great spring flavor of garlic. For a main course I had lamb chops with seasonal veggies. Tender, cooked perfectly medium rare, a meal that will not be soon forgotten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dinner at Sides!Bbird25Dined on 5/11/2014This was my first time at Sides after being told it was "the place" to eat in Los Olivos. Very cute restaurant, great service, and by far thebest lamb dish I have ever had!!! I will be returning next time I'm in Los Olivos!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible Food & AmbienceAaronL805Dined on 5/2/2014Sides has an incredible menu that is updated frequently and is never a disappointment. The service is always top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud and rude tableRogerDDined on 4/27/2014We had a five top next to us which was enthralled with themselves, their i phones, and making as much ruckus as they could. They left after an off-key Happy Birthday, extolling their own prowess and whom they knew where and when. Earlier many of wished they would quiet down while devouring their food but they ramped up the noise instead. But, once gone the high-ceiling dining room was quiet, the food wonderful, and the wait staff excellent. A fabulous place to eat, with wonderful food and excellent spirits (the kind in a glass not the loud ones at the next table).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow ServiceRKWJDined on 4/25/2014Have eaten here several times as we live in the area and have always enjoyed the food. Unfortunately, had dinner last Friday night and the service was not what it used to be or the standard this restaurant usually offers. Took fifteen minutes to get a cocktail, once we ordered salads arrived within five minutes and we waited close to an hour before our dinner arrived. Had to ask the waitress twice where our dinner was, was starting to get annoyed especially after two tables that arrived after we did were served their dinner. I understand they were busy on a Friday night, but this was not the service you would expect at this establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply AmazingMissV1Dined on 4/23/2014We often travel to this area and found Sides two years ago. We returned daily and at the time they served an amazing breakfast. Our dinner was the best we have ever had, we travel to different Islands and other Countries as well and eat out daily. Chef simply outdid himself with the Lamb Sirlion and I had the Scallops with the brown apple butter. My husband and I simply cannot get over it. I am a a Food and Beverage Director and have experienced many, many meals of excellence. We will be back soon with other guest. We also went to see the Red Barn the other Brothers new Resturant and loved the ambiance, we are certainly determinaned to eat there as well on our next visit. Great job Brothers on continuing to meet and exceed our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two in a row!HappyCampersDined on 4/18/2014Went for dinner Friday night. Everything was delicious as usual. Returned for lunch on Saturday and sat at the bar. We were impressed with the cocktails being prepared. Had the "Spice is nice" Margarita with our fish tacos---again enjoyed everything! Can't wait to return to Los Olivos!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent find in a small town.Larry800Dined on 4/16/2014Outstanding food. Especially the Brussels Sprouts. Daily slider appetizer was prepared just right to allow all the flavors to come out. Service was friendly and after a slightly slow start, very efficient and knowledgeable. Fish dish was fresh and perfectly prepared. Lamb was rich, and more than ample. Wine by the Carafe is a good idea, but quality of wine in the heart of Central Coast wine country could have been better. Bottle selection was adequate.Special Features: