Sidedoor Contemporary Kitchen & Bar
18 B York Street
Ottawa, ON K1N 5T5Neighborhood:
Ottawa / Gatineau
Contemporary AsianPrice: CAN$30 and under
Sidedoor Contemporary Kitchen & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sidedoorrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6135629331
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Friday 11:45am-2pm
Dinner: Monday- Thursday & Sunday 4:30pm-10:30pm, Friday and Saturday 4:30pm-11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Asian
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Korecki
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room
- Special Events: From corporate gatherings to weddings SIDEDOOR loves to host special events.
A word from Sidedoor Contemporary Kitchen & Bar
Asian Fusion, Sharing PlatesContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Sidedoor Contemporary Kitchen & Bar - Best Restaurants in Ottawa / Gatineau ›
Sidedoor Contemporary Kitchen & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (25)special occasion (20)good for groups (15)neighborhood gem (13)romantic (9)hot spot (7)great for outdoor dining (7)late-night find (6)great for lunch (5)notable wine list (2)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- outstandingBaltimDined on 8/24/2014Locally sourced ingredients prepared in the contemporary high style with an Asian twist. The halibut steamed in coconut milk was fabulous. So were the signature donuts. The small plates are small and oh so tastySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014You were out of three main menu dishes Tuesday night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great - tweaks neededTraveleatoutDined on 8/9/2014Loved the mango salad w. garnishes of fresh toasted coconut and fried beef strings; however, it was sopping wet with dressing, making it hard to appreciate the flavours of the fantastic garnishes. The pan seared pickerel, with Thai green-goddess dressing, was similarly flavourful. The dressing, in particular, was sublime. The portion size was small, though, for $28. I am by far not a large-portion size eater, but even I found it stingy. Sides, including starches such as rice, are priced separately, which I find an ungenerous approach. It certainly would have been nice to have included a portion of rice with the main dish I purchased. I actually left the restaurant still feeling a bit hungry - after an appetizer and main dish.Special Features:
- Disappointing dining experiencefeedmeDined on 8/8/2014The food and service was disappointing. We ordered the dim sum special and it was oily, tough & fishy tasting. We hailed the server over and told him we were not enjoying the dish. He said "ok I'll take it away" and left. We would have appreciated if he asked for feedback or suggested another dish to replace that one. We enjoyed the tacos and the beef lettuce wrap dishes, however wine service was lacking. We ordered a bottle of wine and the only service the server provided was the initial pour. We then waited over 20 minutes for our bill after we asked for it. We ended up walking to the server stand and asking for it again, to which he said "the kitchens about to close so I'm trying to get everyone's order in".
- Love this placeMattDined on 8/8/2014Haven't been here for a while, but food is as good as I remember it. It is definitely pricey, and their "happy hour" isn't much of a happy hour (very limited selection), however, only went during 'this time' due to being at capacity for the later hours. I highly recommend the "braised beef", with a side of rice. My fiancé also recommends the lobster item. Their fish tacos for appetizers are amazing. Overall, service was excellent, food was 10/10, drink selection was 8/10, price was 6/10. I would definitely go back, even considering the prices ($18 for 4 small tacos as apps - even as good as they are, still too much)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great wine and foodSmilywilyDined on 8/2/2014A great find in the Market, not your typical tourist trap. The food is amazing and there's a great wine selection by the bottle or glass. Dessert is limited to donuts, which are made to order and delicious! Lovely evening out. Will be glib back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tacos and donutsunknown123Dined on 7/31/2014The tacos and donuts at this restaurant are amazing! Our main course was very bland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveToEatOttawaLoveToEatOttawaDined on 7/26/2014My new favorite dining spot in Ottawa. Amazing service. Never feel rushed. Perfect for date night! Atmosphere is subdued and rustic but modern. Food is unique and playful... And did I mention delicious? Perfect for foodies looking to try original dishes. Drink selection is fantastic! Try Herb's choice before dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014wine at 3 times the cost at LCBO is outrageously too expensiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kateDined on 7/26/2014We had two principal difficulties with the restaurant: first, the quality of food was very uneven! Tacos were very good, entrees tasteless, desert fine. The entree was salty and otherwise tasteless... at $28.00 plate! Second, the service was bad: our server began well, informative, attentive but not cloying. After taking the order, she disappeared. Totally. At the restaurant where you are encouraged to order plates to share, and 'as you go' we were expecting to be asked if we wanted to order more, or if we liked what we ate - we were asked this after we were done, by another server and never if we wanted to keep ordering. As it was, we did not. Lastly, the place is huge and has as much intimacy as a cavernous office with bad music...
- Astonishing experienceDialecticsDined on 7/14/2014As I was speachless with all these senses' explosions when I tasted my choices, it is still difficult for me to describe the unfathomable secrets underlyning this terrific fine cuisine... One word: astonishing!Special Features:
- Family loved it!OttawacottagersDined on 7/5/2014Food was delicious and presentation deemed "Instagram-worthy" by teens!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sharing dishes2pleasedcustomersVIPDined on 6/4/2014Love this place and the food is so fresh and deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousTraveller23Dined on 5/24/2014Great service. Food very tasty from the crispy white fish taco, to the calamari, the tuna sashimi, to the lobster in green curry. All yummy. It is sharing style small plates. You can't be in Arusha here. Do not miss the gourmet donuts! Amazing! Great night.Special Features:
- Too noisy down undergoodfood1Dined on 5/8/2014Food was good/ very good but seating at the back of restaurant was not comfortable. It was way too noisy: level of music, table next door and seats are not comfortable and way too heavy to move towards the table. When your customers make reservations they should have a choice of window table and in your questionnaire there should be a choice for too loud when you ask about noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 288 reviews are from the Sidedoor Contemporary Kitchen & Bar reviews archive.
- ShirleyvsVIPDined on 5/3/2014Was there a few years ago and preferred the menu then. Now its a tasting menu. Food choices were tasty, however the best part was the fresh baked donuts for dessert (and this is coming from someone who normally does not crave sweets!).Special Features:
- Fabulous foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/18/2014Sticky table was the only wrinkle to a perfect outingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quality but want more for the priceneesygroovyDined on 4/13/2014best flavorful papaya salad. Calamari taco fresh but a little too subtle. Tuna appetizer was chintzy on the tuna, mabye a total of 1 oz. Fresh & an OK marinade but jalepanos take away from the nice delicate tuna. Artic char was excellent(4.5 stars), ate the crispy skin too. I think they should give you more vegetables. Could use more wines by the glass choicesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- With its small lunch menu,OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/9/2014With its small lunch menu, this By Market resto offers fine fare. Great tacos with shrimp, fish, pork, beef, etc, all with hot peppers. Four of us ate well on 7 small plates and a salad. Really very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperiencelovedinningDined on 4/7/2014It was my first time in Ottawa and I was sceptical about the restaurant scene (coming from Toronto). After much deliberation, my bf and I decided to go and try Sidedoor based the reviews I read.First impression as we walked in was great. We were greeted from the hostess and showed to our table, where she made us aware that the kitchen was backed up a little from a big group that had walked in before and that food may come out a little late. The atmosphere was cool and energetic. Our server Loui was outstanding. Definitely would go back when in Ottawa again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!myrieDined on 4/5/2014I've been there twice now and the food has always been stellar. This time the service left to be desired. I believe the server may have been inexperienced. The last time everything was fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a business lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/24/2014I took two different business associates for lunch here on two separate days. The service was quick, the food outstanding and it was quiet enough for a good conversation. Portions were smallish but adequate. The only potential problem was the temperature rise at tables near the big windows when the sun shone through.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a delight @ sidedoor!sidedooradorerDined on 3/19/2014we were celebrating a birthday and requested in advance via the opentable app the deuce booth by the windows, and sidedoor was very accomodating! great to see that the app and restaurant are able to coordinate special requests when often times little details like that can be overlooked. our server was plesant, made sure to give us extra side plates for sharing! we ordered the papaya salad and lunch box to start - there are 2 tacos that accompany the box, and we were under the impression that we could choose 2 different tacos (1 fish 1 pork) for 1 box but when we received an extra box with 2 fish tacos and the original box of 2 pork tacos it was quite a surprise. no big deal seeing as we were famished, but clarification wouldve be nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!Aly03Dined on 2/21/2014The food is amazing! The service is great! The only bummer is that it's hard to get a reasonably timed reservation even weeks in advance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this sharing restaurant2pleasedcustomersVIPDined on 2/16/2014Love this sharing restaurant and the food is great.Special Features:
- Tasty food I can eat!LotsaAllergiesDined on 2/10/2014I met three friends on a weeknight evening at Sidedoor recently. Eating out is tricky for me, as I have numerous food allergies and sensitivities. Honestly, I didn't expect to be able to order at all, beyond a drink. Our server, however, was tremendously attentive. He took detailed notes on my dietary needs, consulted with the kitchen, and came back to me with several options for dishes that could be adapted to be suitable for me. Everything I selected was impeccable - fresh, quality ingredients, perfectly prepared. It was the most satisfying meal I've had since my allergy diagnosis. My lower-maintenance dining companions ordered off the standard menu, and were equally pleased with their choices. Great experience!Special Features:
- We were a group of 8 ladiesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/6/2014We were a group of 8 ladies all with different tastes and expectations. We all had fun and there was enough variety that we could all enjoy. Our waitress was great and helped us to make our selections. She was very knowledgeable about the menu and brought us numerous wonderful dishes to try. For some of us Tapas dining was a new experience. We all enjoyed our evening and are committed to returning to do it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ambience.The food was1stTimeAtSideDoorDined on 2/1/2014Nice ambience.The food was very good, many interesting fusion combinations and all very tasty. Cocktail menu was great! *Green Papaya Salad is a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!! AmazingDmrsDined on 1/9/2014Love this place!! Amazing food, ambiance and service. Always outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After Christmas date nightSheilamaxDined on 12/28/2013I have been to side door a few times previously for a business lunch as well as drinks at night. Each and very time I have always been impressed with the amazing food and very attentive servers. Josh was great as our server. Not overbearing and constantly hovering about but seemed to appear just at the right moment to pour more water or wine or to bring out another of our small player. We will Definately return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Below standard on a holiday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/26/2013Went during a holiday for group dinner. Food came fast but was cold. All guests ordered tacos, and all agreed they tasted "OK". Meat was cold on some. One guest commented portion was nearly half the amount we used to get (calamari). Frites had texture like they were re-fried three times over (too chewy, not crunchy). Other dishes were good. Drinks and cocktails were great. Bartender did everything right. Our waitress was good. Very polite and knowledgeable. Always smiled. First time using online reservation. Very easy. Follow up was great. Staff was very accommodating. Been here many many times but first time during a holiday. Would still come back but probably never again during holidays, especially when entertaining a big group.
- Fun to shareCruzpuppyDined on 12/20/2013The menu encourages sharing which is a great way to try multiple items on the menu. Our table of four shared assorted tacos to start and then three larger plates for our main course. Everything was great, but we especially liked the Thai style braised beef dish. For dessert we had to try the sample platter of their house made donuts, and we were not disappointed. A fun place to experiment with contemporary Asian food in the beautiful Byward market.Special Features:
- A Great SurpriseMegzmomDined on 12/18/2013It's been ages since we've dined downtown and The Side Door was a pleasant surprise. Great food (fish tacos to die for) and wonderful service. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/18/2013You can never go wrong with this place. The food is absolutely delicious and perfectly prepared. You can tell the chef and his team have a lot of passion in what they do. I couldn't have asked for a better place to celebrate my birthday! One suggestion - they should have more gluten-free dessert options. As it stands, the only G-Free option is the Gelato. Also, never remove the green papaya salad from your menu. NEVER :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friends night outOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/18/2013This is a great place to share plates and try different things. As usual the food was tasty and my group thouroughly enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/11/2013Exceptional quality of food and imaginative preparation of the sharing plates makes Sidedoor one of the best food experiences in Ottawa. Add an attentive wait staff and a cool minimilastic decor and you have a perfect evening.Special Features:
- Tasty interesting foodRonBDined on 12/3/2013A great spot if you like to share. Every dish had lots of flavor. You can easily make a meal of tacos and taco prices are reduced for happy hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ottawa GemN8RGDined on 11/30/2013Unique food, nice atmosphere, great service! We're from Toronto, and this is definitely one of our favorite places to eat in Ottawa. The food (Thai/Asian fusion) is fresh, tasty, and yummy! Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and foodAlleycatVIPDined on 11/22/2013This was my second time at Sidedoor and I was impressed again. Tuna sashimi, calamari, Papaya salad were excellent. The donuts were heavenly. And most of all, the fun and attentive service from Simon was exceptional. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, uneven serviceOttawomanDined on 11/21/2013Went at 8:15 on a weeknight, with a reservation. Almost walked out because no one took our order for 20 minutes! Come on, it was late and we were hungry. They did bring drinks after 10 minutes. Got the impression that the wait staff are told to act casual and cool - like they're not really servers. Several gave off that vibe as we tried to make eye contact to get our order in. Not terribly helpful explaining the menu either. Perhaps we were too uncool! On the plus side, the food was amazing and original - tacos, calamari, the best Chinese greens we've ever had, soup, and, finally, fantastic hot donuts for dessert. Received food quickly too after ordering, and the service did get more helpful as we stayed longer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.