Sidedoor Contemporary Kitchen & Bar
18 B York Street
Ottawa, ON K1N 5T5Neighborhood:
Ottawa / Gatineau
Contemporary AsianPrice: CAN$30 and under
Sidedoor Contemporary Kitchen & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sidedoorrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (613) 562-9331
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Friday 11:45am-2pm
Dinner: Monday- Thursday & Sunday 4:30pm-10:30pm, Friday and Saturday 4:30pm-11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Asian
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Korecki
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room
- Special Events: From corporate gatherings to weddings SIDEDOOR loves to host special events.
A word from Sidedoor Contemporary Kitchen & Bar
Asian Fusion, Sharing PlatesContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Sidedoor Contemporary Kitchen & Bar - Best Restaurants in Ottawa / Gatineau ›
Sidedoor Contemporary Kitchen & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (38)good for groups (28)special occasion (20)neighborhood gem (16)hot spot (14)great for lunch (12)romantic (10)great for outdoor dining (8)notable wine list (7)late-night find (5)scenic view (5)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014We ordered the oysters that the waiter suggested and other tacos and a vegetable. The vegetable arrived first than all the rest of the food arrived at the same time and they were cold. We had been in that place before but never again.
- A must-go place to go in Ottawa!aussieinottawaDined on 11/14/2014Loved Sidedoor - it is fantastic for date night and also a really good place to go with a few friends. The sharing style of the food means that it's very interactive, but the quality of the food is amaziing. Fresh, vibrant, tasty and with interesting twists. Note though, if you don't like cilantro, you won't like Sidedoor as the food is very much Mexican/Thai fusion which means lots of sour and cilantro flavours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was a great dinner.dahhwooDined on 11/8/2014Well it is my boyfriend's birthday and we decided to go somewhere special for dinner, ordered a chefs special taco, tuna sashimi and lobster curry. The food portions are not the biggest but the taste and quality was amazing. Growing up in Asia, I am heavily spoiled by good and cheap seafood which is difficult to find, but a lot of the flavors I had reminded me so much of home. My only complaint is that the restaurant didn't have a big beer selection (because my boyfriend loves a good beer with his food) and that my request for a little something special for my boyfriend's birthday wasn't followed and i wasn't informed at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster dishOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014Unfortunately, this was a bit of a disappointment: lots of sauce and the pieces of lobster were few and far between. I would not order it again, nor recommend it to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special celebrationHelene819Dined on 11/2/2014We went there for a very early supper before Convocation and the small plates for sharing were perfect for the occasion. The place is beautiful, the tables are big and roomy and not too close together. The food is excellent, especially the soft tacos.Special Features:
- Great spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Excellent place for a romantic dinner out. Never had a bad meal here, and the cocktails are excellent as well. Our last visit was during a busier night than normal, and it took a while to pay our bill and meet our server once we sat down. Other than that, the food arrived quickly and was delicious. Try the lobster green curry!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun EveningAuntieFiDined on 10/30/2014Our party of 6 was at Side Door for a birthday dinner and we enjoyed our evening. The facilities are welcoming and the lighting was good, which is not often the case in a restaurant serving dinner. That is, sometimes the lighting is too dim, seeking atmosphere but invoking the need for a flashlight. The washrooms are clean and well-appointed, something I always appreciate :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurantCarolDined on 10/15/2014I recently met my brother and sister here for lunch and we were not disappointed. I had previously had dinner at Side Door but this was my first time for lunch. I highly recommend the fish tacos but make sure you save room for the donuts. I think they were the best I have ever tasted. The service was both friendly and efficient. I will definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressing guestsenjoydiningoutDined on 10/11/2014My wife and I had been to Sidedoor once before. We had family visiting from out of town and wanted to take them to a unique restaurant eg the sharing concept. It was a big hit including 2 teenagers. Very friendly staff and great selection of food and good valueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good range of flavorMRN1801Dined on 10/11/2014This was my first visit and I was impressed with the variety of flavors. Everything tasted great and the service was good. I will be back.Special Features:
- Inconsistent food and serviceOttawafoodieDined on 9/27/2014This was our second time to Sidedoor. The first time was great: fantastic service despite how busy it was, food that tasted incredible. Our second trip was not great. We went with two different friends, we ordered mainly what we had the first time. Each item looked the same, but it was all bland due to lack of seasoning. The worst part was our server. He was sarcastic and while that's fine in most cases, it was very awkward when trying to order food. The worst part was he made a lewd joke about the chef's special donut gushing/squirting over someone's face if we weren't careful when cutting it. Some people might have found the gross-out humour funny, but he definitely didn't read the table.Special Features:
- You gotta eat hereTimdVIPDined on 9/18/2014Great place in Ottawa. The venue was perfect for a business meeting lunch. Service was attentive but discrete. The food is kinda Asian/Latin American. We had tacos, soup and salad. Great small plates; perfect for lunch. I have recommended this place to colleagues, and, cannot wait to go back for dinner; I am anxious to try other things on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch boxfoodiegeekDined on 9/17/2014The Side Door is a great place to have an affordable and interesting lunch. The service was efficient and respected the limited time for those who have to go back to work.Special Features:
- outstandingBaltimDined on 8/24/2014Locally sourced ingredients prepared in the contemporary high style with an Asian twist. The halibut steamed in coconut milk was fabulous. So were the signature donuts. The small plates are small and oh so tastySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014You were out of three main menu dishes Tuesday night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great - tweaks neededTraveleatoutDined on 8/9/2014Loved the mango salad w. garnishes of fresh toasted coconut and fried beef strings; however, it was sopping wet with dressing, making it hard to appreciate the flavours of the fantastic garnishes. The pan seared pickerel, with Thai green-goddess dressing, was similarly flavourful. The dressing, in particular, was sublime. The portion size was small, though, for $28. I am by far not a large-portion size eater, but even I found it stingy. Sides, including starches such as rice, are priced separately, which I find an ungenerous approach. It certainly would have been nice to have included a portion of rice with the main dish I purchased. I actually left the restaurant still feeling a bit hungry - after an appetizer and main dish.Special Features:
- Disappointing dining experiencefeedmeDined on 8/8/2014The food and service was disappointing. We ordered the dim sum special and it was oily, tough & fishy tasting. We hailed the server over and told him we were not enjoying the dish. He said "ok I'll take it away" and left. We would have appreciated if he asked for feedback or suggested another dish to replace that one. We enjoyed the tacos and the beef lettuce wrap dishes, however wine service was lacking. We ordered a bottle of wine and the only service the server provided was the initial pour. We then waited over 20 minutes for our bill after we asked for it. We ended up walking to the server stand and asking for it again, to which he said "the kitchens about to close so I'm trying to get everyone's order in".
- Love this placeMattDined on 8/8/2014Haven't been here for a while, but food is as good as I remember it. It is definitely pricey, and their "happy hour" isn't much of a happy hour (very limited selection), however, only went during 'this time' due to being at capacity for the later hours. I highly recommend the "braised beef", with a side of rice. My fiancé also recommends the lobster item. Their fish tacos for appetizers are amazing. Overall, service was excellent, food was 10/10, drink selection was 8/10, price was 6/10. I would definitely go back, even considering the prices ($18 for 4 small tacos as apps - even as good as they are, still too much)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great wine and foodSmilywilyDined on 8/2/2014A great find in the Market, not your typical tourist trap. The food is amazing and there's a great wine selection by the bottle or glass. Dessert is limited to donuts, which are made to order and delicious! Lovely evening out. Will be glib back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tacos and donutsunknown123Dined on 7/31/2014The tacos and donuts at this restaurant are amazing! Our main course was very bland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveToEatOttawaLoveToEatOttawaDined on 7/26/2014My new favorite dining spot in Ottawa. Amazing service. Never feel rushed. Perfect for date night! Atmosphere is subdued and rustic but modern. Food is unique and playful... And did I mention delicious? Perfect for foodies looking to try original dishes. Drink selection is fantastic! Try Herb's choice before dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014wine at 3 times the cost at LCBO is outrageously too expensiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kateDined on 7/26/2014We had two principal difficulties with the restaurant: first, the quality of food was very uneven! Tacos were very good, entrees tasteless, desert fine. The entree was salty and otherwise tasteless... at $28.00 plate! Second, the service was bad: our server began well, informative, attentive but not cloying. After taking the order, she disappeared. Totally. At the restaurant where you are encouraged to order plates to share, and 'as you go' we were expecting to be asked if we wanted to order more, or if we liked what we ate - we were asked this after we were done, by another server and never if we wanted to keep ordering. As it was, we did not. Lastly, the place is huge and has as much intimacy as a cavernous office with bad music...
- The following 293 reviews are from the Sidedoor Contemporary Kitchen & Bar reviews archive.
- Astonishing experienceDialecticsDined on 7/14/2014As I was speachless with all these senses' explosions when I tasted my choices, it is still difficult for me to describe the unfathomable secrets underlyning this terrific fine cuisine... One word: astonishing!Special Features:
- Family loved it!OttawacottagersDined on 7/5/2014Food was delicious and presentation deemed "Instagram-worthy" by teens!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sharing dishes2pleasedcustomersVIPDined on 6/4/2014Love this place and the food is so fresh and deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousTraveller23Dined on 5/24/2014Great service. Food very tasty from the crispy white fish taco, to the calamari, the tuna sashimi, to the lobster in green curry. All yummy. It is sharing style small plates. You can't be in Arusha here. Do not miss the gourmet donuts! Amazing! Great night.Special Features:
- Too noisy down undergoodfood1Dined on 5/8/2014Food was good/ very good but seating at the back of restaurant was not comfortable. It was way too noisy: level of music, table next door and seats are not comfortable and way too heavy to move towards the table. When your customers make reservations they should have a choice of window table and in your questionnaire there should be a choice for too loud when you ask about noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShirleyvsVIPDined on 5/3/2014Was there a few years ago and preferred the menu then. Now its a tasting menu. Food choices were tasty, however the best part was the fresh baked donuts for dessert (and this is coming from someone who normally does not crave sweets!).Special Features:
- Fabulous foodKihei4meVIPDined on 4/18/2014Sticky table was the only wrinkle to a perfect outingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quality but want more for the priceneesygroovyDined on 4/13/2014best flavorful papaya salad. Calamari taco fresh but a little too subtle. Tuna appetizer was chintzy on the tuna, mabye a total of 1 oz. Fresh & an OK marinade but jalepanos take away from the nice delicate tuna. Artic char was excellent(4.5 stars), ate the crispy skin too. I think they should give you more vegetables. Could use more wines by the glass choicesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- With its small lunch menu,OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/9/2014With its small lunch menu, this By Market resto offers fine fare. Great tacos with shrimp, fish, pork, beef, etc, all with hot peppers. Four of us ate well on 7 small plates and a salad. Really very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperiencelovedinningVIPDined on 4/7/2014It was my first time in Ottawa and I was sceptical about the restaurant scene (coming from Toronto). After much deliberation, my bf and I decided to go and try Sidedoor based the reviews I read.First impression as we walked in was great. We were greeted from the hostess and showed to our table, where she made us aware that the kitchen was backed up a little from a big group that had walked in before and that food may come out a little late. The atmosphere was cool and energetic. Our server Loui was outstanding. Definitely would go back when in Ottawa again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!myrieDined on 4/5/2014I've been there twice now and the food has always been stellar. This time the service left to be desired. I believe the server may have been inexperienced. The last time everything was fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a business lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/24/2014I took two different business associates for lunch here on two separate days. The service was quick, the food outstanding and it was quiet enough for a good conversation. Portions were smallish but adequate. The only potential problem was the temperature rise at tables near the big windows when the sun shone through.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a delight @ sidedoor!sidedooradorerDined on 3/19/2014we were celebrating a birthday and requested in advance via the opentable app the deuce booth by the windows, and sidedoor was very accomodating! great to see that the app and restaurant are able to coordinate special requests when often times little details like that can be overlooked. our server was plesant, made sure to give us extra side plates for sharing! we ordered the papaya salad and lunch box to start - there are 2 tacos that accompany the box, and we were under the impression that we could choose 2 different tacos (1 fish 1 pork) for 1 box but when we received an extra box with 2 fish tacos and the original box of 2 pork tacos it was quite a surprise. no big deal seeing as we were famished, but clarification wouldve be nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!Aly03Dined on 2/21/2014The food is amazing! The service is great! The only bummer is that it's hard to get a reasonably timed reservation even weeks in advance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this sharing restaurant2pleasedcustomersVIPDined on 2/16/2014Love this sharing restaurant and the food is great.Special Features:
- Tasty food I can eat!LotsaAllergiesDined on 2/10/2014I met three friends on a weeknight evening at Sidedoor recently. Eating out is tricky for me, as I have numerous food allergies and sensitivities. Honestly, I didn't expect to be able to order at all, beyond a drink. Our server, however, was tremendously attentive. He took detailed notes on my dietary needs, consulted with the kitchen, and came back to me with several options for dishes that could be adapted to be suitable for me. Everything I selected was impeccable - fresh, quality ingredients, perfectly prepared. It was the most satisfying meal I've had since my allergy diagnosis. My lower-maintenance dining companions ordered off the standard menu, and were equally pleased with their choices. Great experience!Special Features:
- We were a group of 8 ladiesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/6/2014We were a group of 8 ladies all with different tastes and expectations. We all had fun and there was enough variety that we could all enjoy. Our waitress was great and helped us to make our selections. She was very knowledgeable about the menu and brought us numerous wonderful dishes to try. For some of us Tapas dining was a new experience. We all enjoyed our evening and are committed to returning to do it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.