577 College St.
Toronto, ON M6G 1B2Neighborhood:
Little Italy / College St.
AmericanPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sidecarrestaurant.ca/
- Phone: 4165367000x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
A word from Sidecar
Sidecar Bar and Grill emphasizes simple preparation with fresh ingredients and uncomplicated presentations. A small menu helps to ensure freshness and expedite service, elevating the overall dining experience while maintaining a focus on value. Sidecar succeeds in combining a high level of food and service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Sidecar reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (54)great for outdoor dining (52)romantic (33)special occasion (28)fit for foodies (28)good for groups (19)late-night find (10)hot spot (7)notable wine list (7)great for brunch (5)great for lunch (4)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Pleasant DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014I chose Sidecar for my birthday dinner. The service was quick in terms of appetizers, however the main course took 40 minutes. Although we were warned, I was not impressed with the wait. The food was amazing; I recommend the scallops! My main disappointment was the failure to complete my special request to do something special for the birthday girl. Overall, a pleasant experience. If you go in the summer, make use of the patio - stunning décor and cozy atmosphere!Special Features:
- Great people, great valueOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/20/2014This is a welcoming and well-run spot any time, but especially good value early in the week when their $25 prix fixe is offered.Special Features:
- applefaceVIPDined on 8/20/2014My first time here. The amuse bouche was a very nice touch - the fig/onion compote on taro chip was a burst of flavour. We definitely enjoyed our Horse(s) with No Name and El Presidente! We were told the incorrect soup de jour and had to change our orders. The caesar salad with the crispy pancetta was a highlight! My steak was perfectly done, but too heavily salted; my frites were suboptimal - got the bottom of the basket as most were too crispy or burnt, and not a piece of fries was longer than an inch. Patrions at table adjacent to us had fries all about 2.5 inches long - dishes not consistent! Dessert was supposed to be upside down pineapple cake, but was not available and substituted. Nice atmosphere; would give Sidecar another try!Special Features:
- A Little OasisGerryDined on 8/18/2014Went to Sidecar not expecting much for a Monday night dinner with my wife and a friend. Instead we ended up having a wonderful and completely satisfying dinning experience. The backyard patio was quaint, quiet, and lovely. The service by the entire staff was exceptional...especially from our server Aiden. Best of all the food was outstanding. We shall return!Special Features:
- Fourth Visit.CherryDined on 8/15/2014I love this restaurant. I always bring a new a friend. The service is always wonderful, the food is always perfectly cooked and delicious. I will always come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always terrificwarrenDined on 8/13/2014This is one of my favorite "go to "restaurants in Toronto as well as my neighborhood. Food and service is consistently excellent. And their prix fix menu is attractive and very reasonably priced.Special Features:
- AdequateOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/13/2014Sidecar is adequate -- it's fine, it's pleasant, the food is reasonably well-prepared and plainly presented, there are no surprises. But the food needs something -- it was just alright, but that's all. The dessert -- pineapple upside down cake, was very disappointing -- one little piece of pineapple and a tiny drizzle of caramel sauce on a tasteless sponge cake. Steak frites were fine, but just that -- they were fine. Service was pleasant but slow. So the evening was alright, but not memorable, and I would probably suggest somewhere else next time.
- Excellent as alwaysTheBestorNeverAgainDined on 8/6/2014Prix fixe was very, very good. Although desert was excellent, I would like a choice or two.Special Features:
- It was all goodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/5/2014What a pleasant surprise. This restaurant is obviously not hot (at least not on a Tuesday night), but everything was close to perfect. The steak was a little underdone and a bit chewy, but very tasty. And the prix fixe menu is a great deal. You could do much worse for twice the price. Also, the service was impeccable...which may also be due to the Tuesday factor. Nevertheless, I'd come back again and go through the rest of the menu, although I might just stay with the steak frites on account of the frites.Special Features:
- new chef, new menuMUSHYSPAPPYVIPDined on 7/26/2014Especially enjoyed the rack of lamb, new to the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeLiveFreeOrDineHardDined on 7/22/2014Went to Sidecar for a special event and it was great. I had the steak and it was cooked perfect medium-rare, my girlfriend had the chicken and loved her meal as well. When it came time to desert it did take a little longer to arrive compared to the rest of the meal which was fast. Even then it didn't feel long and compared to other restaurants I'm sure it wasn't but the host brought us complimentary drinks which was very nice. The waiters were wonderful and I would recommend to anyone looking for a nice quiet place with good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulClark007Dined on 7/21/2014Second time to Sidecar and this time for son's Birthday treat. We had a wonderful evening on the patio at the back of resturant. It was such a Lovely experience. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/19/2014Hadn't been for about 18 months and decided to give it a try. Food was tasty, though I did leave still hungry. Portions (especially crab cakes) were quite small, however I was particularly hungry so on other nights may not have been an issue. You cant beat the price - terrific value for a restaurant of this caliber.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurantCodyHunterDined on 7/19/2014We really enjoyed our dinner and Sidecar. It was our first visit, but it had been highly recommended by family. We will definitely come back.Special Features:
- Great patio, great foodCodyDined on 7/4/2014We celebrated a double birthday at Sidecar. The food was wonderfully prepared, very tasty and seasoned just right. Everyone enjoyed their dinner but personally, I loved the rack of lamb. YUM! The service was outstanding - personable, attentive and professional. The weather totally cooperated that night and we enjoyed dinner on the spacious patio. We'll be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/2/2014your food is great. the ambiance is good....your kitchen seems disorganized when busy. last two times we experienced extended wait for our food. first time we were compensated with no charge. (waited over an hour after salads) last time similiar time wait. had to ask server three times for bread......got very frustrating...said it was because of power outage which is reasonable...but this is second time it happened, so not sure what to think. will give it a third (and last try) if there is an extended wait for main.Special Features:
- Enjoyed, againEllenBDined on 6/30/2014A very nice meal once again and had a friendly, attentive waiter. Would recommend to others.Special Features:
- Very nice time and great foodNewtoTODined on 6/24/2014Went with a small group of friends for a Birthday dinner, got a poorly located table in the back where it was hot and busy with the pickup window, but they quickly accommodated our request to be moved to the beautiful patio in the back without any fuss. Everyone's dish was excellent (Steak Frites X3, Shrimp Risotto, Duck Confit Gnocchi), appetizers and soup just as good. (The seared Ahi tuna was a little salty, but still much to my liking). Overall service was very good as well, professional and friendly. Two areas for improvement, (but still good): Pouring the wine & forgot the bread after asking us if we wanted some. As a nice subtle accent for the birthday they added a small candle to the dessert dish which was a perfect touch.Special Features:
- Nice patioMouseJuniorVIPDined on 6/14/2014I must say the patio at the back is pretty nice. Food is not bad either.Special Features:
- lgg011Dined on 6/12/2014they have a very committed owner who ensures that consistent service and food are delivered every time great place to visitSpecial Features:
- Sidecar in the summerGayleDined on 6/12/2014The patio at Sidecar is lovely - serene and comfortable. Service is very friendly and knowledgeable. The food was great. Excellent steak frites and lamb shank on the menu. Nice selection on the wine list.Special Features:
- Simple & ConsistentDJpjDined on 6/9/2014This restaurant has outlasted a lot of its neighbours in the Little Italy strip of College Street, in large part because of its low key approach to simple, delicious food, understated ambience, very affordable pricing, and excellent table service. It remains one of my favourite local destinations, in particular for entertaining out-of-towners, due to the consistency of all these factors. It doesn't alienate less adventurous palettes, nor does it disappoint. The creative cocktail list doesn't hurt either.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceVaughan1Dined on 6/8/2014As usual, the food at Sidecar was excellent. Notable this time was the duck gnocci. What made the meal outstanding was the service. We ate outside on a rainy day and the server physically moved our table to avoid any chance of us getting sprinkled with water. She described the entrée choices eloquently, and as it turned out, correctly. For example the gnocci was described as "pillows of flavour". Her timing as to when and when not to visit our table was professional. For both the food and the service, my partner declared Sidecar to be her new favourite restaurant!Special Features:
- llee82Dined on 6/7/2014Great service and ambiance. The patio in the back is really lovely. Been a few times and the food is consistently good (not outstanding) and not overly expensive.Special Features:
- Delicious!SaraDined on 5/30/2014We loved our dinner. The servers were attentive but not intrusive and everyone made us feel very welcome, comfortable and well informed about the menu. The food was great; delicious, fresh, and thoughtfully composed. We especially liked the duck confit gnocchi with fresh peas and we really enjoyed sharing a cheese plate for dessert. The cocktails were superlative. I highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous all around!AllisonDined on 5/25/2014My husband and I were visiting from out of town and stumbled on this gem. It was 9:30 sun night so was quiet inside, a few people outside. We sat in the lovely back yard garden, where we got to enjoy a delicious appetizer salad (creamy oregano dressing yum). My husband had the steak.. Loved the garlic aioli, and I had the pumpkin risotto -- also fabulous. Even the coconut cake (included with the prix fixe) was great. And to top it all off, the service was divine! You won't regret eating hereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too busy to be excellentDP1000Dined on 5/24/2014We had an 8:00pm Saturday reservation and were fortunate to be seated on the outdoor patio. It was a lovely evening and the patio was full as were many tables indoors. The food was excellent as usual at Sidecar and the serving staff attentive and friendly. The problem was the wait time for each of the food courses. We finished our drinks and waited and waited for our appetizers and then waited even longer for our main courses. Our server apologized for the delays but it took much of the pleasure from the evening. We have been to Sidecar several times but have decided in the future we'll go early and on weekdays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SideCar SaladnewjicamafanDined on 5/17/2014Delicious food! One of the best salads I have ever had, introduced me to Jicama. So delicious although the serving size is way too small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gone downhill.,Dinner4twoVIPDined on 5/16/2014Sadly, our meal was horrible from start to finish. I've always enjoyed this restaurant in the past. Hopefully a "one off".
- Always fabulous!FireMonkey56Dined on 5/16/2014Sidecar is one of my favorite restaurants for dinner with my special friends. The servers are attentive, friendly, polite, sophisticated - its obvious that they love their work. I usually order my favorite, steak frites and its perfect every time. Plus I love their cocktails. Definitely will come back again and again.Special Features:
- Service made the rxperienceHappyDaysDined on 5/13/2014Coming from the restaurant industry I find myself constantly finding myself thinking...we would be having more fun if I hosted dinner... Or... What is this servers problem, I don't care if they're having a bad day... But I found myself in the moment, enjoying every inure of my conversation with my friend but also my server. Shout out to her! Beautiful girl with that being said with the proper definition of the word. The food was fantastic. The pesto on the buffalo mozzarella app was incredible! I have since told many people since being there and that was two days ago. Great job team!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 631 reviews are from the Sidecar reviews archive.
- Great dinner spotOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/29/2014The steak was cooked to perfection, though a touch salty. Our server was very attentive and friendly. Great neighbourhood spot for dinner or drinks. Excellent for client entertainment if you need a place you can still have a conversation that isn't drowned out by loud music or a chattery crowd.Special Features:
- Consistently great!hungryjennDined on 4/26/2014I always enjoy dining at Sidecar. Food, drink and service is fantastic - I always enjoy nights out here! Thanks for a great meal.Special Features:
- Fantastic night out at Sidecar.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/24/2014Outstanding service, excellent food and wonderful atmosphere!Special Features:
- A delightful findOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/10/2014I guess that Sidecar has been around for quite a time, but not actually living in T.O., I'm not on top of the whole restaurant scene. But for us, this first occasion at Sidecar was a delight in every sense. The food, across all courses, was great, subtly creative and very much more accessibly priced than most spots that we have been to recently. The service was simply perfect - cordial, attentive, unobtrusive and insightful. Our group of four were unanimous in our appreciation and enjoyment. We will certainly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent experiencehappycustomerDined on 4/6/2014We were 4 on a Sunday having dinner at Sidecar. We really enjoyed it and the service was impeccable. There was a mix up with the bottle of wine and they did not make a fuss and settle the problem right away. That is what I would call an intelligent and customer service oriented. For sure, we will go back there. Personnaly, it was my 4th time and it was the same very good experience every time. That is rare in Toronto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- snooty greeterfirstimpressionsDined on 4/5/2014I found the door greeter officious and humourless. They took our coats and my earring flung out of me ear. He did not even make a gesture to help me find it. Everything else was great, that guy total downer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect DinnerKateDined on 4/1/2014My dad and I went to Sidecar just to have a nice dinner and catch up, and it was perfect. The food, service, and ambiance was all excellent. My dad wears hearing aids so sometimes very noisy places are uncomfortable for him, but the noise level was great. The place was almost full (which is impressive for a Tuesday night in Toronto), but we didn't have to raise our voices to talk. My pops has experienced his fair share of great restaurants and also loved Sidecar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have enjoyed dining hereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/30/2014We have enjoyed dining here on several occasions. The prix fixe menu and wine are very good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing! Never lets me down.TorontoLatinoDined on 3/28/2014Love this place. Food is amazingly fresh and so tasty. Service is pleasant not over bearing or pretencious. Ordered Shrimp tempura Papardalle Gnocci Really enjoyed it..Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.