577 College St.
Toronto, ON M6G 1B2Neighborhood:
Little Italy / College St.
AmericanPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sidecarrestaurant.ca/
- Phone: 4165367000x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
A word from Sidecar
Sidecar Bar and Grill emphasizes simple preparation with fresh ingredients and uncomplicated presentations. A small menu helps to ensure freshness and expedite service, elevating the overall dining experience while maintaining a focus on value. Sidecar succeeds in combining a high level of food and service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Sidecar reviews from OpenTable diners
81 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (53)great for outdoor dining (41)romantic (41)special occasion (31)fit for foodies (27)good for groups (23)notable wine list (13)hot spot (13)late-night find (11)vibrant bar scene (4)great for lunch (4)scenic view (3)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Awesome findMelanieDined on 10/26/2014The restaurant offers a prix-fixe menu from Sunday to Wednesday, which gives you an amazing dinner for the price offered. The steak frites and the chicken are especially good. Also the flourless chocolate cake is not to miss. I love going here and it's my favorite place to recommend to friends and family!Special Features:
- Consistently GreatBrandonDined on 10/23/2014I have been dining at Sidecar for years. This last experience was great as usual. The space is nice, the servers are knowledgable and most importantly the food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, as always!TheBestorNeverAgainDined on 10/20/2014As always, the dinner and the service were excellent. I look forward to many more dinners there.Special Features:
- Love the steak and fritesRoxterDined on 10/17/2014Sidecar is one of my favourite places on College. The service is consistently good, nice ambience and the steak and frites are to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/11/2014Great place, not a large number of menu items so you know each one will be good. We each had the Salmon and it was great. Cooked perfectly with an amazing honey glaze. Service was on point as well. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Dinner at SidecarAMO1962Dined on 10/10/2014I went to Sidecar with my friend. It was really nice to not have to look at a tv! The staff was wonderful. I have a garlic allergy and the server made sure that my meal was garlic free. The food was wonderful I would certainly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ...................................123456Dined on 10/4/2014...................................................................................................................................................Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrianDined on 10/1/2014I have been to Sidecar before but never booked through open table. The service for this visit was spectacular. Probably one of the best experiences I've hard in Toronto; the waiter was friendly, attentive and helpful. There was such attention to detail including giving us an amuse bouche and a special dessert presentation since we were celebrating an anniversary. The food was excellent. We both had the crab cakes, soup of the day, salmon with ratatouille and tiramisu. Every item was excellent in presentation, quality and flavour. The restaurant is also intimately decorated (both the dining room and bar area) and is very clean. I will continue to be a patron of Sidecar and would suggest for you to try it too!Special Features:
- Attention to DetailOutofTownersDined on 9/30/2014This is our go-to restaurant for any number of reasons, all of them based on the staff's attention to the myriad of details that make for a special dining experience. These include drinks given the attention they deserve, fresh (and I mean really fresh) breads, an always interesting amuse bouche, and main courses that consistently amaze.Special Features:
- Lovely evening outfoodieinthegenesVIPDined on 9/23/2014Five friends out to celebrate a 50th birthday, post jewelry workshop. We all had a delicious meal - all salads were delicious, steak frites on prix-fixe was great value. Duck confit on bed of lentils, pork chop, tuna...all divine. Service personable, warm and helpful. We'll be back!Special Features:
- price fixedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/22/2014the fixed price menu was really good - we both thoroughly loved our meals, salad was fresh and tasty, steak blue as I asked and well seasoned + salmon cooked exactly the way we asked for it and seasoning sauce was also brought on the side because we asked for lemon AND we were asked if we'd like to share a glass of wine when we said we didn't want another full one each at the end of the meal - sharing one was the perfect amountSpecial Features:
- NormnickDined on 9/22/2014If you have a prix fix how can a waitress mess up a bill?Special Features:
- A good visitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014We found Sidecar to be a great experience. If we HAD to critique something it would be they could've added another server to speed things up a bit. Having said that our waiter was awesome ! They didn't have the Tiramisou (spelling?) but allowed us to substitute (even though we ordered from the fixed price menu. The Steak Frites were really good as was the chicken. I'm a big guy, and would've liked to have both, but my fiancee is tiny, so I ended up eating half of her meal as well.... The Chocolate Torte was delicious !Special Features:
- Excellent experienceFoodiefanDined on 9/19/2014Went to sidecar for the first time and was beyond surprised. The atmosphere on the 2nd level was great and a consistent , friendly service to match. I was also impressed with the selection of whiskey and cocktails. The food was exceptional and is very reasonable for the experience we had. I will be certain to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014A quaint location for an upper scale meal which did not cost a fortune. It is rare to see a striploin steak for less than $28.00 in a decent restaurant. Wine list was extensive including a moderately priced Amarone. Staff was pleasant and extremely helpful. Timing for each course was perfect - we were never rushed or waiting for the next stage of our meal.Special Features:
- AESLSKDined on 9/11/2014Every year, for years, a friend and I each invites the other for a birthday dinner, usually to a restaurant we have not visited before. Sidecar was this year's choice -- and we were delighted. Fresh food -- from local farms -- made in house, served with grace and humour, in a stylishly charming bistro that is priced perfectly ($25 prix fix should you choose). From the bread basket and wine, to the steak frites and pan roasted chicken, to the flourless chocolate torte and a velvety creme brule, Sidecar has set a very high bar for our future birthday dinners. In fact, we'll probably stop searching -- and just make this the place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in the cityBiggsDined on 9/9/2014After my second visit to Sidecar I am hoping to make a third one soon. The food is excellent and the service is very friendly.Special Features:
- DelightfulottawafoodieDined on 9/7/2014I enjoyed my experience at Sidecar. I ordered their evening's special, which was fish. It was prepared very well and I enjoyed it immensely. I also ordered a cocktail called El Presidenté, which was stronger than anticipated but again it was well prepared. One of the members of the party received a complimentary dessert as it was her birthday, an added nice touch. The one criticism I would have is that the service was a bit slow considering the number of other diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worth the side tripBradDined on 8/31/2014very good restaurant, small but varied menu, great specials. Attentive service, very good food. Would definitely go again.Special Features:
- Pleasant DinnermudraxeDined on 8/22/2014I chose Sidecar for my birthday dinner. The service was quick in terms of appetizers, however the main course took 40 minutes. Although we were warned, I was not impressed with the wait. The food was amazing; I recommend the scallops! My main disappointment was the failure to complete my special request to do something special for the birthday girl. Overall, a pleasant experience. If you go in the summer, make use of the patio - stunning décor and cozy atmosphere!Special Features:
- Great people, great valueOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/20/2014This is a welcoming and well-run spot any time, but especially good value early in the week when their $25 prix fixe is offered.Special Features:
- applefaceVIPDined on 8/20/2014My first time here. The amuse bouche was a very nice touch - the fig/onion compote on taro chip was a burst of flavour. We definitely enjoyed our Horse(s) with No Name and El Presidente! We were told the incorrect soup de jour and had to change our orders. The caesar salad with the crispy pancetta was a highlight! My steak was perfectly done, but too heavily salted; my frites were suboptimal - got the bottom of the basket as most were too crispy or burnt, and not a piece of fries was longer than an inch. Patrions at table adjacent to us had fries all about 2.5 inches long - dishes not consistent! Dessert was supposed to be upside down pineapple cake, but was not available and substituted. Nice atmosphere; would give Sidecar another try!Special Features:
- A Little OasisGerryDined on 8/18/2014Went to Sidecar not expecting much for a Monday night dinner with my wife and a friend. Instead we ended up having a wonderful and completely satisfying dinning experience. The backyard patio was quaint, quiet, and lovely. The service by the entire staff was exceptional...especially from our server Aiden. Best of all the food was outstanding. We shall return!Special Features:
- Fourth Visit.CherryDined on 8/15/2014I love this restaurant. I always bring a new a friend. The service is always wonderful, the food is always perfectly cooked and delicious. I will always come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always terrificwarrenVIPDined on 8/13/2014This is one of my favorite "go to "restaurants in Toronto as well as my neighborhood. Food and service is consistently excellent. And their prix fix menu is attractive and very reasonably priced.Special Features:
- AdequateOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/13/2014Sidecar is adequate -- it's fine, it's pleasant, the food is reasonably well-prepared and plainly presented, there are no surprises. But the food needs something -- it was just alright, but that's all. The dessert -- pineapple upside down cake, was very disappointing -- one little piece of pineapple and a tiny drizzle of caramel sauce on a tasteless sponge cake. Steak frites were fine, but just that -- they were fine. Service was pleasant but slow. So the evening was alright, but not memorable, and I would probably suggest somewhere else next time.
- Excellent as alwaysTheBestorNeverAgainDined on 8/6/2014Prix fixe was very, very good. Although desert was excellent, I would like a choice or two.Special Features:
- It was all goodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/5/2014What a pleasant surprise. This restaurant is obviously not hot (at least not on a Tuesday night), but everything was close to perfect. The steak was a little underdone and a bit chewy, but very tasty. And the prix fixe menu is a great deal. You could do much worse for twice the price. Also, the service was impeccable...which may also be due to the Tuesday factor. Nevertheless, I'd come back again and go through the rest of the menu, although I might just stay with the steak frites on account of the frites.Special Features:
- new chef, new menuMUSHYSPAPPYVIPDined on 7/26/2014Especially enjoyed the rack of lamb, new to the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeLiveFreeOrDineHardDined on 7/22/2014Went to Sidecar for a special event and it was great. I had the steak and it was cooked perfect medium-rare, my girlfriend had the chicken and loved her meal as well. When it came time to desert it did take a little longer to arrive compared to the rest of the meal which was fast. Even then it didn't feel long and compared to other restaurants I'm sure it wasn't but the host brought us complimentary drinks which was very nice. The waiters were wonderful and I would recommend to anyone looking for a nice quiet place with good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulClark007Dined on 7/21/2014Second time to Sidecar and this time for son's Birthday treat. We had a wonderful evening on the patio at the back of resturant. It was such a Lovely experience. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/19/2014Hadn't been for about 18 months and decided to give it a try. Food was tasty, though I did leave still hungry. Portions (especially crab cakes) were quite small, however I was particularly hungry so on other nights may not have been an issue. You cant beat the price - terrific value for a restaurant of this caliber.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurantCodyHunterDined on 7/19/2014We really enjoyed our dinner and Sidecar. It was our first visit, but it had been highly recommended by family. We will definitely come back.Special Features:
- Great patio, great foodCodyDined on 7/4/2014We celebrated a double birthday at Sidecar. The food was wonderfully prepared, very tasty and seasoned just right. Everyone enjoyed their dinner but personally, I loved the rack of lamb. YUM! The service was outstanding - personable, attentive and professional. The weather totally cooperated that night and we enjoyed dinner on the spacious patio. We'll be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 647 reviews are from the Sidecar reviews archive.
- serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/2/2014your food is great. the ambiance is good....your kitchen seems disorganized when busy. last two times we experienced extended wait for our food. first time we were compensated with no charge. (waited over an hour after salads) last time similiar time wait. had to ask server three times for bread......got very frustrating...said it was because of power outage which is reasonable...but this is second time it happened, so not sure what to think. will give it a third (and last try) if there is an extended wait for main.Special Features:
- Enjoyed, againEllenBDined on 6/30/2014A very nice meal once again and had a friendly, attentive waiter. Would recommend to others.Special Features:
- Very nice time and great foodNewtoTODined on 6/24/2014Went with a small group of friends for a Birthday dinner, got a poorly located table in the back where it was hot and busy with the pickup window, but they quickly accommodated our request to be moved to the beautiful patio in the back without any fuss. Everyone's dish was excellent (Steak Frites X3, Shrimp Risotto, Duck Confit Gnocchi), appetizers and soup just as good. (The seared Ahi tuna was a little salty, but still much to my liking). Overall service was very good as well, professional and friendly. Two areas for improvement, (but still good): Pouring the wine & forgot the bread after asking us if we wanted some. As a nice subtle accent for the birthday they added a small candle to the dessert dish which was a perfect touch.Special Features:
- Nice patioMouseJuniorVIPDined on 6/14/2014I must say the patio at the back is pretty nice. Food is not bad either.Special Features:
- lgg011Dined on 6/12/2014they have a very committed owner who ensures that consistent service and food are delivered every time great place to visitSpecial Features:
- Sidecar in the summerGayleDined on 6/12/2014The patio at Sidecar is lovely - serene and comfortable. Service is very friendly and knowledgeable. The food was great. Excellent steak frites and lamb shank on the menu. Nice selection on the wine list.Special Features: