SIDECAR at P.J. Clarke's
205 East 55th Street
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
SIDECAR at P.J. Clarke's
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pjclarkes.com/
- Phone: 2123172044
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Enter SIDECAR through the private entrance on East 55th street & the staircase delivers you to a spacious yet intimate dining room of candlelit crisp white linens, reclaimed wood beamed ceiling & stone topped Osteria bar. Soft leather banquets & Bank of England chairs immediately envelope one in a unique sense of clubby comfort, enhanced by attentive personal service & the quiet calm of a unique refuge. Our food, prepared in our own kitchen is classic American; Steaks, Chops, Seafood & Raw Bar complimented by a New World wine list & traditional cocktails.
The understated elegance of SIDECAR lends itself equally to Boardroom dinners, Holiday parties & Wedding celebrations.
Cocktail Parties & Seated Dinners up to 30
Exclusive Room Books:
Cocktail Parties, Seated/Buffet Dinner: Up to 120.
If you are interested in hosting a private event please reach out to PrivateaffairsNY@pjclarkes.com.
- Private Party Contact: Lindsay Mazal - PrivateaffairsNY@pjclarkes.com 6466603404
- Cross Street: 55th Street between 2nd & 3rd Avenues
- Public Transit: 6 train to 51st Street & Lexington Avenue or 59th Street & Lexington Avenue E or V trains to 53rd Street & Lexington Avenue N R W trains to 59th Street & Lexington Avenue
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is available at the GMC 919 Third Avenue Garage @ 229 East 55th Street Between 2nd & 3rd Avenues or the MPG Adonis Parking Garage @ 201 East 56th Street Between 2nd & 3rd Avenues
A word from SIDECAR at P.J. Clarke's
SIDECAR is PJ Clarke's handsome semi-private upstairs dining room. The birthplace of Patrick Joseph Clarke himself, for 50 years, it was a musty antiques office. Now, its wood beamed ceiling, exposed brick walls hung with fine art, and long seemingly endless space welcomes diners to one of Manhattan's most intimate dining rooms. You enter Sidecar through a special entrance on East 55th Street. The menu, prepared in Sidecar’s own kitchen, is Steaks, Chops, Seafood and Raw Bar. And, there's always the PJ’s Hamburger. Whether seated on the long banquets that run the entire length of the room, or at a table on the main floor, Bank of England chairs immediately envelope one in a unique sense of clubby comfort. An extensive wine collection, personal attention and the quiet calm of a unique refuge complete the experience. Please note - SIDECAR at P.J. Clarke's does not accept walk-ins.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
SIDECAR at P.J. Clarke's reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (7)good for groups (7)neighborhood gem (5)vibrant bar scene (3)fit for foodies (3)hot spot (2)special occasion (2)romantic (1)notable wine list (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/15/2014Food was good, as expected. Nice ambiance. Service was ok - our server never came and we ended up being served by I think the bartender who did a good job but all ended up being a bit slow thenSpecial Features:
- Super underwhelmedGatorDiningVIPDined on 10/11/2014Aside from being buzzed in, there is not special about the ambiance of this place. It is not very "swanky" as young children were present...definitely did not get the speakeasy vibe at all. For starters, we had the tuna tacos and stuffed mushrooms. The tacos were okay and the mushrooms lacked salt and the goat cheese was way overdone. My boyfriend had a burger and fries, which were tasty. I had the lemon chicken and a side of brussel sprouts. The chicken was swimming in some kind of tasteless oil and it was served with potatoes chips for $23. The brussel spouts were undercooked, tasteless and the bacon bits were burnt to a crisp. It really tasted like I was eating undercooked spouts doused in burnt grease. Not recommended. GO GATORS!
- Fun Bistro AtmosphereTRBRKDined on 9/30/2014Lively scene especially with bar area between the two seating areas. Tall ceiling, brick walls and wood floor and ceiling. Low key way to enjoy a good meal, especially steak or seafood, if you like it lively. Still easy to carry on regular conversation.Special Features:
- Always Goodnickname1VIPDined on 9/23/2014All-around good place for business meals. Clubby feel, especially speakeasy-type side door with video buzzer for entry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SidecarCANYCVIPDined on 9/19/2014You have to enter through a side door after being buzzed in, like an old speakeasy. Food was simple and delicious, and the waitstaff was excellent.Special Features:
- great hostesserock00008Dined on 9/18/2014the hostess was very attentive to guests and assisting staff. she really runs the flor exceptionally.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic NY dining experienceei8htohmsDined on 9/9/2014The service is very professional and the food is top notch. I don't recommend the burger frankly, but the steaks are pretty amazing.
- Lunch in NYCMicheDined on 8/18/2014Wanted to end our holidays in NYC in a hot spot for american burgers we choose PJ for its celebrity… It was a deception, the burger was not better than anywhere else but more expansive. The waiter was not very attentive.Special Features:
- The following 283 reviews are from the SIDECAR at P.J. Clarke's reviews archive.
- Loved the food and loved theOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 1/29/2013Loved the food and loved the service. Will plan to go back as often as I can.Special Features:
- Still doing brisk and bustlingJackAGordonVIPDined on 1/16/2013Still doing brisk and bustling business after so many years, the Sidecar was and remains a viable venue, particularly for business lunches. Great oysters, salads and burgers. I was disappointed to see that the sliced sirloin has come off the menu, the iceberg wedge shrank and, saddest of all, the turkey club has been completely revamped. It used to come on hand-sliced artisinal bread with delectable doorsteps of freshly roasted turkey and a Peter Luger-worthy slab of hickory-smoked bacon, as well as the obligatory L&T. Now it is served on a toasted rye (two slices) with some flakes of bacon and thinly sliced turkey. Still $18, though. If I want a turkey deli sandwich, I'll go to a deli. Please bring back the old club!
- Given its location and theOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 1/14/2013Given its location and the semi-private setting Sidecar could be a great place. Unfortunately, the food can be inexcusably bad. For a recent business lunch both my guest and I ordered the entree-sized Grilled Chicken Caesar. What we were served can only be described as a piece of cold and completely dry chicken breast grilled hours before (or who knows when) presented on a bed of chopped lettuce completely devoid of any dressing or seasoning. We briefly considered sending back the food but concluded that the better course of action would be simply never to return to the restaurant.
- The Lobster Mac and cheeseOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/11/2013The Lobster Mac and cheese was delicious. This is not a quiet restaurant. It is full of energy and very busy during the lunch hour. Service is prompt and friendly.Special Features:
- We went to SIDECAR becauseEstherPDined on 1/9/2013We went to SIDECAR because we were going as a group of 7 and they took reservations. The food was very good, we had a very attentive waiter and we all enjoyed the meal. The only thing I would recommend is to add a veggie burger or a portobello burger to the menu for those who do not eat beef and are not in the mood for a big chicken platter.Special Features:
- Selected venue based on reviewsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/9/2013Selected venue based on reviews on Yelp and TripAdvisor. We were looking for a decent lunch spot for a business meeting where people from different cities were converging, and none of us were local. We needed to be able to hear one another and not be packed in to a crowded place. Sidecar totally fit the bill. Great ambiance, food was very good, loved the service and it was reasonably quiet. Thanks!Special Features:
- Beautiful Room. ExcellentCbmnyVIPDined on 1/7/2013Beautiful Room. Excellent lunch time service. Will return.Special Features:
- Our first time and came uponOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/4/2013Our first time and came upon it after shopping in the midtown area Bloomies, Urban Outfitters, Ethan Allen. The Food was good and service outstanding. Management actually came to out table and welcomed us, nice touch. The brick and wood walls made for a warm and comfortable feeling after shopping in 30 degree weather.
- I am always comfortable diningFoodforthoughtVIPDined on 12/4/2012I am always comfortable dining at Sidecar..whether I am dining with a client or just friends...the restaurant is a nice change from the hustle and bustle of P.J.'s downstairs...and the food and service is truly fantastic!Special Features:
- Seasonally wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/1/2012I went with the family during the Christmas season. The ambiance and the relaxed atmosphere was great, the setting and interior was done well. The service was always responsive and came around often enough to keep us happy but not too often that it was annoying. Plus, the staff seemed genuinely happy.Special Features:
- Soprano's Style EntranceGaryMVIPDined on 11/28/2012This place is everything you want in an old-school NYC Steak House. From the hidden entrance to the 'secretive' staircase. Your guests will think you're taking them somewhere to whack them rather than treat them to a fantastic dining experience. To be honest this wasn't the 'best' meal I've had in NYC, but it was still pretty fantastic. What the food lacked (which wasn't much) the ambiance and staff more than made up for. Highly recommended. Especially if you find yourself on the East Side and kind of lost.Special Features:
- Poor Mom but worth it!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/26/2012This was a great place to take my son and 6 friends, aged 26, who are all on the road to successful careers. Just wish for my pocketbook's sake they hadn't all ordered steaks! Oh well, a really fun time with unobtrusive service which never interrupted the conversation. Poor mom, but it was a fun time.Special Features:
- Spent Thanksgiving Eve atGolferDined on 11/21/2012Spent Thanksgiving Eve at the restaurant. Multiple service personnel supported our waitress and the food was great. We will definitely be going back to PJs!Special Features:
- VERY NICE MIDTOWN EAST PLACEJOEINSOOLINEVIPDined on 11/21/2012VERY NICE MIDTOWN EAST PLACE - THE PEOPLE THAT WORK HERE ARE NICE !!!Special Features:
- I often have business lunchesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/1/2012I often have business lunches at Sidecar. The food and service are outstanding. It can get rather loud during peak times, but the food totally makes up for it.
- Real Tater Tots!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/25/2012Had a great biz lunch here. The tater tots were ridiculously good and their special ketchup added a nice twist to an already awesome burger. My mom used to come here in the '50's when working for NBC's Steve Allen show. You can sense that the place still has the same charm as back in the day. Attentive, friendly, and personal service as well.Special Features:
- Wonderful Girls Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/13/2012This was my second time at P.J. Clarke's and it's becoming one of my favorite restaurants in NYC. The food and drinks are great and our waiter, Hanif, was absolutely amazing. He made the evening! Only down side was a table full of kids at 10:30 in the evening on one side and another table of extremely rude patrons on the other. Unfortunately the restaurant cannot pick their guests.Special Features:
- always love side car servicedeliciousVIPDined on 10/5/2012always love side car service food tops hostess gr*tSpecial Features:
- The burger was fantastic.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/5/2012The burger was fantastic. Only wish at Sidecar they were more willing to trade fries for veggSpecial Features:
- Good food and service. ReliableOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/25/2012Good food and service. Reliable spot for business lunches.Special Features:
- we had the Cadillac Burger.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/18/2012we had the Cadillac Burger. truly a great burger! Good service too. Fun to be there.
- I aleays like the food andOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/10/2012I aleays like the food and service at this historic gem. it is never crowded and I like the comfort, ambience and personal attention i always getSpecial Features:
- Good food, great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/10/2012Good food, great service. We went for lunch and had no issues getting right to our table. If you go, be sure to try the Lobster Macaroni.Special Features:
- Enjoyable evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/7/2012Lovely surroundings .... Good food and great service ...Special Features:
- quite the business lunch scenenewyorkerVIPDined on 9/5/2012quite the business lunch scene - with solid food and good service.Special Features:
- Great location for takingNewYorkSouthernBelleVIPDined on 8/29/2012Great location for taking clients out to dinner! Also right next to midtown!Special Features:
- The staff at Sidecar wereOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/28/2012The staff at Sidecar were very attentive and extremely knowledgable to the menu.Special Features:
- WE had a fantastic time! TheOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/22/2012WE had a fantastic time! The cobbler was to die for, the skirt steaks perfect! Great - although we ate downstairs, not upstairs!
- Had a great experience here,OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/16/2012Had a great experience here, but had hoped for something a little more refined in terms of food and ambiance to match the prices. We were hoping for something more quiet, intimate, and authentic in the ambiance. Next time, I'll skip sidecar and just head to PJ's. I prefer PJ's anyway.Special Features:
- The staff was excellent, knowledgabJoeInSouthOrangeDined on 8/9/2012The staff was excellent, knowledgable and had obviously had some years of experience at the restaurant. I was a limitless put off however about the gushing welcome we received. It was a bit over the top. However, if a staff is going to error it is far better to have it appear too welcoming rather than the reverse. I'm sure we'll go back with friends and guests.Special Features:
- Had to wait for my reservedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2012Had to wait for my reserved table at a small chair at the bar - was not seated - then sent to a small two top at the far end of the room against a wall while everyone was at a 4 top - asked to move - they did not honor request - service was not good dont think I will go back
- Gorgeous, relaxing, classy,SrellaDined on 8/8/2012Gorgeous, relaxing, classy, and fun. Maybe a bit pricey, but aren't most celebrations worth it?Special Features: