525 Tremont St.
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.siblingrivalryboston.com/
- Phone: 6173385338
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm Friday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm Saturday: 5:00pm-11:00pm Sunday 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: David & Bob Kinkead
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering services available upon request.
- Private Party Facilities: Sibling Rivalry has a variety of spaces available for private dining. The private dining room can accommodate up to 40 seated guests comfortably, our semi-private area seats up to 70, and the entire restaurant can be used for parties of up to 200 guests. We will gladly customize a menu for any special event. From simple cocktail receptions to private chef tastings, there is an option for any style or budget. Special Services: Any special services such as floral arrangements or audio/visual equipment can be arranged upon request.
- Private Party Contact: Elaine Cadman 6173385338
A word from Sibling Rivalry
Sibling Rivalry combines the simple elegance of classical cooking with the rich, bold flavors of Modern American cuisine. Chef's David and Bob Kinkead created a 'dueling' menu that showcases their talents with different interpretations of seasonal ingredients. The Kinkead brothers' philosophy of providing fresh, straight-forward cuisine is at the core of their menu. Warm colors of copper, beet, and red provide a warm and inviting atmosphere which reflects the hospitality of the restaurant and staff. Diners can experience a 'Chef's Bar' where patrons can watch the hustle and bustle of the kitchen while dining. A creative cocktail list and extensive wine selection are top of the list of reasons to visit this posh Boston dining hotspot.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sibling Rivalry reviews from OpenTable diners
- WHAT HAPPENED?!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/2/2013WE SHOWED UP FOR OUR RESERVATION AND THE DOORS WERE LOCKED, NO SIGN, THE PLACE WAS EMPTY!!!!!
- sibling Rivalry never disappoints.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/30/2013sibling Rivalry never disappoints. The serving staff never make you feel rushed even when the restaurant is busy. The food was delicious and well presentedSpecial Features:
- Disappointing ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/30/2013Food alone does not make a restaurant experience great. A good restaurant experience is the combination of good food, timely service, and pleasant ambiance. While the food was very good, the service was terrible. We have been to this restaurant many times, and have previously enjoyed the experience. This time, after he took our order, our server ignored us completely. When we asked him to check on the wine which hadn't arrived ten minutes after we ordered it, he didn't look at us, or respond to us--basically ignored us. The wine was eventually brought by another server. Our server never said a word to us during the meal to see if we needed anything, or to inquire whether we were satisfied. Very disappointing.
- Given the competition I can'tOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/29/2013Given the competition I can't recommend this restaurant. In a foodie town Good isn't enough, and not on par with their pricesSpecial Features:
- I have to mark it down forOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/29/2013I have to mark it down for having a roll of paper towels next to the sink in the men's room, not even on a paper towel holder, for drying your hands. This isn't what I'd expect from a restaurant of its caliber. The food is great and the service is fine, but there's more to a dining out experience than that.Special Features:
- Unfortunately our eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/28/2013Unfortunately our evening at sibling rivalry never got off the ground. We had a Thursday evening reservation at 8pm and received a phone call after 5 claiming that there was a ventilation issue. I understand that the situation was out if their hands and a telephone call was made to notify me, but unfortunately that's where the positive experiences end. I feel that notification should have come more than 3 hours before the reservation. I also feel that my restaurant week reservation should have been honored at a later date and from a simple business standpoint I think that an offer to reschedule at a later date would have bee appropriate. I'm sure it's a wonderful restaurant, but the way this situation was handled was poor.
- I made a relatively earlyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/27/2013I made a relatively early dinner reservation, 6:00 pm, on the Wednesday we dined at the restaurant. Upon arrival that day there were not that many patrons dining but after being seated, we had to wait about 15 minutes for someone to take the drink order and another 15-20 minutes before it arrived. The extended wait time for service between each course continued throughout the meal and we had to get the maitre d' attention to have the dessert and bill brought to us because we were going to the theatre next door for a 7:30 pm show. While I normally enjoy not be rushed, if we did not prompt/alert the wait service we would have still been sitting waiting as the curtain was being raised.
- This restaurant offers a largeBrooklineFoodieDined on 3/24/2013This restaurant offers a large choice for restaurant week. This was my second time. Service was lovely. I especially enjoyed my tuna appetizer.Special Features:
- Good food... but that's about it.Dino1424Dined on 3/23/2013Food was good and waitress was very nice, but overall the service was sub-par. Our table was near the front of the restaurant, yet we were ignore most of the night. Appetizers coming out before drinks. Entrees arriving before we finished appetizers. Bringing the wrong food. Running out of a few menu items... including all types of Vodka... how do you run out of Vodka?? Most restaurants would walk across the street to a liquor store and buy a few handles to get through the night... not this one. Menu was simple because of restaurant week, but overall everything was delicious (except for the chickpea fries). The atmosphere was just odd/almost uncomfortable w/ no audible music. The food was not good enough to make up for the service.
- Consistently excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/23/2013We have been to SR abut 4 or 5 times and have never had a bad meal. Attentive waitress, beautiful food presentation, lovely ambiance, its a real find!Special Features:
- We were delighted to findMikeVIPDined on 3/21/2013We were delighted to find a full menu for our Restaurant Week reservation. And Governor Patrick was sitting at the next table. Great dinner!Special Features:
- A New FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/21/2013There were four of us and most of the dishes we ordered were unique to each of us. We all agreed that every bite was terrific.My wife and I are eager to return. The service was slow but I'd be willing to chalk it up to a tough night for the wait staff. It is the food thas counts and DSR's was top of the line.Special Features:
- At first, my party and I wereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/20/2013At first, my party and I were thrilled with the Restaurant week menu offerings- though we came to find out they no longer offered the rib eye and pear salad. We ordered shrimp scampi, salad, and tuna tartare as appetizers. The tuna tartare got a thumbs up. The shrimp scampi was watery. As for meals, I ordered the skirt steak which was just ok. Nothing to get excited about. Dessert was the best part of the night. I think each person in the party ordered something different and all enjoyed them. My recommendation would be to have a glass of wine at the bar.Special Features:
- They run out of some of theirOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/15/2013They run out of some of their menu choices as the night progresses on - a testament to fresh supplies every day but can be kind of frustrating if you have a reservation on the later side.Special Features:
- Menu changed/altered withoutOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/15/2013Menu changed/altered without waiter letting tables around us know. Food flavorful, but serving size rather petite. Not sure I would returnSpecial Features:
- A theatre-goers treatCWL7VIPDined on 3/15/2013Reservations are necessary as it is located, very conveniently, next door to the Calderwood and Speakeasy theatres. The service is impeccable! A little pricey but such a pleasant experience.Special Features:
- That was not our first timeAlinaDined on 3/15/2013That was not our first time at Sibling Rivalry but definitely the last one. We came at 6:00. We were told that a couple of entries, that we wanted to order, were not available such as mussels and lasagna. We ordered the rack of baby pork. This dish was awful. No seasoning, the meat was tough. It was supposed to come with navy beans. We got black beans, straight from a can. Very disappointing.
- They were out of half of theOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/14/2013They were out of half of the menu items by 7:30!! Two of the items we did order came without ingrediants noted on the menu. Service disappeared dafter we placed our order. Too many other better options in that neighborhood.
- My friend and I had been toOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/14/2013My friend and I had been to Sibling Rivalry last year and just recently had an opportunity to return. What a difference a year makes. Upon being seated, we were told by a server that they were short staffed. My friend and I didn't much care about time and we conveyed that to our server. Yet we were pressured to make decisions about appetizers and main entrees quickly. My food arrived luke-warm and my friend's food arrived cold in the center. The food was sent back and still wasn't hot when the server brought it back. The most enjoyable part of the meal were the drinks-very good. With all the great restaurants in the South-End, I don't think I will be returning to Sibling Rivalry in the near future.
- The idea of the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/13/2013The idea of the restaurant really piqued my interest and I wanted to give them the benefit of a doubt when it came to some of the bad reviews I read. However, most of the negative things I had read were exactly correct. When hearing of their slow service, I thought this was definitely where we had the advantage of dining on a Wednesday night, but not the case as it was painfully slow. It took 40 minutes once sitting down to receive our appetizer, and the bread didn't come until after the appetizer was served. Also, once finishing my first beverage, I was never asked if I'd like another, and the waiter was not around enough to even try to request one before the idea for a refill soured. Also, I don't think the food is worth the price.
- Food was great but serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/13/2013Food was great but service was poor. We arrived on time for our reservation, but were sat 25 minutes later. It took another 10 minutes for our server to greet us. Dishes stayed on the table too long after being finished. Plates came out burning hot from being under heat lamps too long. It didn't seem busy enough to justify the lack of attentiveness.Special Features:
- Overall very disappointed!KrisDined on 3/13/2013Overall very disappointed! Our service never introduced himself, nor asked if it was out first visit so he could explain the "Sibling Rivalry" concept. never checked in during the course of our meal, never followed up on a drink order I gave when we finished our appetizers and did not get it till we were done with our entree. Our water glasses were never refilled. It was basically-sit down, order meal, eat meal, pay for meal and leave. It took SO long to get our bill I had actually put my coat and scarf on and he asked if I wanted coffee/dessert. The food was mediocre. We will never return...
- Even though it was the lastOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/13/2013Even though it was the last week to use a 'Living Social' coupon (meaning the restaurant was full of people wanting to use the coupons), the staff was attentive and helpful. And the food was as excellent as ever!Special Features:
- Excellent food. Very pleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/13/2013Excellent food. Very pleasant and quiet as we had an early reservation prior to theater. Waiter was brusque and not helpful.Special Features:
- Not for Vegetariansjcs85Dined on 3/12/2013I loved Sibling Rivalry the first time I went in October 2012 – the food was delicious - so I was eager to return this past week. It was a big disappointment. They don't seem to understand the concept of vegetarianism, which in Boston, at a restaurant that does not have Pig in its name, seems unacceptable. I took a friend who is a vegetarian (not vegan). There was only one meatless entree on the menu now, the lasagna, and the first thing our waiter told us was that it was unavailable. He could only offer side dishes. I found this amazing (really? no pasta of any kind in the kitchen?) and found it worse that there was no apology or attempt to accommodate. The sides we ordered were fine but nothing special. I'm not eager to go back.
- The food here is great. IGeorgewithanoVIPDined on 3/10/2013The food here is great. I sat at the bar this time but was still treated to top-notch service from the bartender. I ordered two new items: the rock shrimp and the pork tenderloin. The shrimp was very salty (similar to their fried squid, if you've had that), but the pork was exquisite. The only person who didn't make me feel welcome was the Valet, who, when I pulled up, commanded me to move my car, completely unable to accept that I might actually be a customer. Still, the great service I got from the host and servers helped me to quickly forget about that unfortunate experience.Special Features:
- Not so good service but great foodJa923Dined on 3/9/2013Food was delicious but our dinner took 40 minutes before it came out. We did have an appetizer but everything is such small portions we were starving and ended up eating a lot of bread. Took a some time to get our drinks as well. Our reservation was for 830 so it was after the dinner rush and not too busy. Our server seemed very laid back and not worried about how long things took- however we didnt see him much from the time after the app came out to when we got our food. The ambiance was a bit stuffy, definitely more of a romantic date scene.Special Features:
- The food was fantastic. OurOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/9/2013The food was fantastic. Our waiter was very welcoming and kind but extremely busy. It took 10 minutes to get menus after sitting down and almost 30 minutes to get out bottle of wine.Special Features:
- We went here on a SaturdayOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/9/2013We went here on a Saturday night. The host and seating was a mess, and then we ended up in a separate room that did not fit with the ambiance of the main room. The food was okay (2 of my 4 scallops were gritty), and the presentation was nothing special. They also brought us the wrong appetizers at one point- we also saw other tables get wrong dishes. Overall, very over-priced, especially given the poor service and mediocre food.
- Unfortunately, we must haveLDLDVIPDined on 3/9/2013Unfortunately, we must have hit Sibling on a bad night. The service was exceptionally slow, it took at least 30 minutes to get our appetizers which were cold. Our entrees were mixed, some cold and some hot. I could tell mine had been sitting under a warmer as the protein was overcooked and beans were dried out. The waiter had too many tables, and made a huge mistake on our bill. I was also a underwhelmed with the wine list, it only had 8 options for wines by the glass and also they were "out of" draught beer. Like I said, I'm hoping it was a bad night for them as other people I know have had great experiences.
- The service was very slow,NLABDined on 3/9/2013The service was very slow, took over an hour to get our entrees. Drinks took a a while to get also, and the bill came very slowly. But the food was good, especially the tuna tartare, it was excellent.Special Features:
- Meh....OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/5/2013I was very much looking forward to Sibling rivalry, but I found the food to be just okay, lacking complex flavor profiles, and presentation was mediocre. The broth for the mussels appetizer was delicious though.
- I was very surprised thatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/3/2013I was very surprised that it was given three stars at Open Table. We have always had a stellar experience dining at Sibling Rivalry. We hadn't been there for almost a year and I was hesitant to go back with open table giving it only three stars from reviewers. Needless to say I was glad we did. The food was superb, from appetizer to dessert. The cocktails were excellent also. We had exceptional service, the waiter anticipating our needs before we needed to request. I was so happy we went back as we had a wonderful dining experience .Special Features:
- UnderstaffedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/2/2013horribly understaffed. Reservation was for 9:00, did not get to table until 9:15-9:20pm and did not even get our drink orders taken until 9:50pm. Finished dinner at 11:20pm. Looks like they were missing one or two servers. The table next to me left after they had not been addressed in 10 minutes, stating to the waiter that they were leaving due to horrible service.
- Service took for everThe menuOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/2/2013Service took for everThe menu beraly changed in the last 3-6 months.
- Our service was terrible -OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/2/2013Our service was terrible - we had to ask for steak knives to go with our very expensive rib eye dishes, which at an establishment like this, should not happen. The service was slow and the steaks were not cooked like we ordered. Medium rare looked exactly like medium. I won't be going back here. Really disappointed.Special Features:
- The service was fast, helpfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/2/2013The service was fast, helpful and well-mannered. The food was delicious and in very suitable portions. The drinks list isn't overwhelming, but still a decent selection. It's not super crowded and loud, even on a Saturday evening.Special Features:
- This place is hands down mycsnazzDined on 3/2/2013This place is hands down my favorite restaurant in the city. The menu is ever changing and always delicious. I have enjoyed introducing my friends to SR over the years. It's always a hit! I really can not say enough good things about this place. I highly recommend it for a night out with friends for some great food and delicious cocktails or a night out with your sweetie.Special Features:
- Not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/1/2013The ambiance and service were excellent, however, the food was not impressive. It is pricey and so I had expected more flavors and effort put into the food. I do not recommend it as it seems that they use frozen ingredients and the food is pretty bland.
- Great spot for a fantasticCapeloveVIPDined on 2/27/2013Great spot for a fantastic meal. The wine list is very limited but the service and food more than make up for it. Give it a try. You won't be disappointedSpecial Features: