Siam Orchid Organic Fine Dining
496 Hamilton Ave
Palo Alto, CA 94301Neighborhood:
ThaiPrice: $31 to $50
Siam Orchid Organic Fine Dining
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.siamorchidpa.com/
- Phone: 6503251994x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00AM - 4:00OPM
Dinner: Daily: 4:00PM - 10:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Thai
- Executive Chef: Alisa Chotibhongs
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
A word from Siam Orchid Organic Fine Dining
Siam Orchid is an organic fine dining Thai restaurant serving community of Palo Alto. We offer modern Thai fusion with exceptional service to our customers. We provide dine-in, private parties, pickup, delivery, and catering. Our goal is to introduce to the Palo Alto community a cutting edge dining experience that similar to the current lifestyle of Thai people. All the selections on our menu are chosen from traditional, favorite, homemade Thai dishes. We served local, organic, and Thai beer also full menu of fine wine to choose from.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Siam Orchid Organic Fine Dining reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelQuiet
neighborhood gem (9)fit for foodies (5)great for outdoor dining (4)great for lunch (4)romantic (3)special occasion (2)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- GlobetrotterVIPDined on 10/4/2014Quiet & peaceful setting, away from the "noisy" center, but withing walking distance from the center! Attentive service & good food. Definitely would tell more friends!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/17/2014Hard to summarize in ratings. Some of the food was good, even excellent; but one dish was so bad we had to send it back -- which we had never done before at any restaurant. The shrimp tasted foul and we wanted the chef to know in case it was not healthy. The service was terribly slow. However, the waiter was incredibly friendly and helpful.
- great food, distracted serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/17/2014I thoroughly enjoy the food at Siam Orchid. It took me a while to try this place because I have an aversion to reastaurants that advertise themselves as organic or otherwise position themselves as zealots. However, I've decided not to hold the Organic label against them. The food is creative and has unusual (but very appealing) flavors. I have yet to have a bad bite here. However, the service tends to be disjointed and positively distracted. I signaled for some attention (after some time waiting) and got an acknowledgement but the "I'll be back to you later" indication. In such a tiny place a few seconds to find out what I wanted would not seem out of place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food is not goodorgannicDined on 7/27/2014Food is terrible. after we eat, the kids felt uncomfortable. I will never go to small restaurant.
- Mixed bagDenisVIPDined on 7/11/2014We mostly liked the food but the service was challenged. The food is OK and portions are ok. There was one dish that tasted like oil (a fried appetizer). That sometimes happens if they don't take care of their fryers properly. My dish was tasty but way too much salt. My wife's curry was the best thing and was really good. The service was challenged because there was a single server for about 20 tables. He was nice but running around like a mad man. We might go back simply because everything is organic.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 97 reviews are from the Siam Orchid Organic Fine Dining reviews archive.
- Great experience all togetherOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/9/2014The service was OUTSTANDING! It's a small place, but nicely put together. My friend ordered a margarita and the waitress (which I should have asked her name, she was AMAZING) immediately explained that it was not a traditional margarita. When she brought the drink she said that if we didn't like it she would take it back and bring something else. I didn't order any drinks, but she still brought me a free glass of wine. She was constantly making sure we were okay with everything and if we needed anything else. I LOVED IT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent and Interesting FoodBrianDined on 5/21/2014Their salads are delicious. They take many stand-by salads and simply make them better with additional ingredients or a new twist. The ingredients are high quality and we appreciate their focus on using organic where they can. If you are looking for typical gloppy Thai food, you won't find it here. Everything we have ordered tastes very fresh. Hence, it might take a little longer to get your food, but we don't mind. It is a small restaurant, so plan accordingly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doesn't deserve the ratings it hasSIMAVIPDined on 4/25/2014Some sort of problem left the restaurant without operable bathrooms and water all over the dining room floor. One server, and the service took forever. Soup was good but the rest of the food wasn't memorable. Beef dishes were tough. Salmon had been frozen. A big pass.
- Truly excellentPAdinerVIPDined on 4/12/2014When my wife and I eat out, one of us usually has to compromise. She enjoys complex dishes, is happy to go to Mexican and Asian restaurants, and seeks out organic foods. I am a far from adventurous diner, but very much enjoy good basic dishes. Siam Orchid came through for both of us with flying colors. The chicken wing appetizer and kobe steak special (at a great price) left me saying it was the best (of many) dinners I have had in downtown Palo Alto in a long time. The spring roll and other Thai dishes my wife had left her equally happy. Size does matter, but in the case of Siam Orchard it is its small size that makes possible the special focus on quality ingredients and masterly preparation. Truly excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty foodfoodieDined on 4/5/2014Food was great for what we ordered and customer service was great too. We were there early so wasn't too busy.Special Features:
- Nothing to go back for Vegetereans.visitorDined on 3/8/2014We went their for dinner Saturday night. The place was almost full. The table we were given was next to the door and someone bumped the door into my chair twice during the course of the dinner. Not a very good table placement. We ordered their Bangkok Roti. Which was ok but the curry dipping sauce had a burnt taste to it. The second appetizer was Corn fritters with cucumber salad. It had a good texture but they should include some kind of dipping sauce with it. Without which it was too sweet. For our main course we had a Pad Thai and Veggie Delight. The Pad Thai was average to poor in execution. The Veggie Delight was good. Had a good taste and texture. All in all not an experience worth going back for.
- ExpensivelalaVIPDined on 2/21/2014Although the food was very tasty and the menu had a good variety, I thought it was expensive for the amount of food.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014Great food and service! Best Thai food in the Bay Area IMO. Only thing negative is space-much smaller than expected .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, expensive for settingGourmandGourmetDined on 2/13/2014We've eaten twice at Siam Orchid and each time found the dishes extremely good. But the location is only so-so, and the restaurant is small, which makes you aware of the not-so-great outside view from most tables. The decor does try hard to make the ambiance upscale but the result is more of a nice neighborhood joint than a high class restaurant. If you're purely into tasty dishes and don't care about prices, by all means, go. If you want to impress a date, this will not do. For us, the total package - food and ambiance - don't quite justify the prices.
- Siam OrchidTerryDined on 2/1/2014We ordered steamed brown rice, which was mushy and we also ordered pineapple fried rice made with brown rice, which was also mushy. We ordered chicken pad tai, and the noodles were over-cooked and the dish was not very flavorful. We also ordered an asparagus and shrimp dish called Nor Mai Fa-rung Pad Gung. It did have a good flavor and was presented beautifully, but there was not much asparagus and what was there was mostly woody stems. The Phanaeng Gai Curry (chicken curry) was good, and the cocktail I ordered was excellent. We will not return there.
- The food was ok. We were hopingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/8/2014The food was ok. We were hoping for more of an authentic Thai's food, but it was more of Thais fusion. We gave a four rating due to the service and ambience which were excellent!I would recommend this to a friend.
- the food was terrific, reallyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/8/2013the food was terrific, really flavorful and different from many other Thai restaurants. great service as well, will definitely be coming back!Special Features:
- Thai with a twistOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 11/23/2013This was our second trip to Siam Orchid and we will be back. Each dish is just enough different from standard Thai food to be an extra delight. The green curry checken and the yellow curry soup were highlights, but there was not a bad bite. Service was a little disappointing, though; an unordered pad thai dish was brought and a different dish skipped so we had to have that dish after everything else was finished. Fantastic flavors made the whole experience outstanding, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/23/2013The food here was so good. It was all organic, so we will be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely poor serviceKandadeVIPDined on 11/9/2013Very delayed service, wrong items served, no apologies, no removal of the items from our bill. Not going back there if we can help it.
- Good Healthy FoodcoastalsusanDined on 11/2/2013Love that this restaurant serves organic, environmentally sustainable ingredients. Food was good. Great quality. Would definitely go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatartlamDined on 9/3/2013Had their steak special... tri-tip steak is tender and right temp. seafood soup was not what I expected, tho it tastes ok; it's too thick like a sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Broad menu--excellent choices2Friend4DinnerDined on 8/15/2013We dined outside on a pleasant Palo Alto evening--and the service staff didn't even forget we were there. Food was innovative and well prepared. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mehOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2013Certainly not "fine" dining. The restaurant seemed to have a terrible nat problem. The food took a very long time, and was very mediocre.
- Great drinks, good food, ok servicesnowellemeDined on 7/26/2013Food was good. One appetizer (kari puffs) was over-fried. But miang kham (five flavor wraps) and som tom (green papaya salad) were solid. For entrees, we had massaman kai (lamb) and phaenang gai (chicken) w/ jasmine rice. Both were very good, but the lamb was probably the best massaman I've had. Cocktails were awesome - great balanced flavors. Service was meh. We were seated quickly, but it took nearly 10 minutes for someone to take our drink order. It then took another 10ish minutes for the drinks to come and quite a while for appetizers to arrive. Never were asked to replenish drinks, which were empty before entrees arrived.. I give them a 4 for food, 3 for service. I don't come to Palo Alto often for dinner, but I would come back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- third time was not a charmLikaVIPDined on 7/21/2013it was our third time at this restaurant and we will not come back. the portions are getting smaller and smaller, the quality is questionable. it was completely empty (just two of us), so i guess everybody figured out what we know now.
- kind of pricy, didn't getOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/7/2013kind of pricy, didn't get the Mrs order right then had to wait 30 minutes for them to fix it. there were gnats flying around. I loved the food I got but the Mrs didn't really care for what she had orderedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thai with flair. high qualitykareneVIPDined on 6/7/2013This is one of our go-to restaurants: Date night, with the kids and for lunch. Sure, it's a bit pricier than a regular thai restaurant, but the quality of the ingredients makes it worth it. The presentation of the food also stands out, and we like the very friendly service. We have dined here too many times to count and it is consistently very, very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, small portionsPaloAltoDinerDined on 6/1/2013The food was delicious, but the portion sizes were a little bit small. The curries had good flavors in the sauces,but were a bit light ontheamountof duck or chicken, Pad Thai noodles were slightly over done, but had yummy ingredients. Chicken satay skewers had very thin slices of chicken and lamb. Service was okay. The wait staff was pleasant and filled water glasses, but wereinconsistent about clearing dishes, plates, and glassware.
- No rush to returnamoebaVIPDined on 5/29/2013We'd wanted to go here for quite some time. The food is pretty good, but too pricey. Most appetizers are deep fried. We tried one that wasn't & it was very over priced. The spinach cups w/shrimp had very little content. Surprisingly little! $15, the price of an entree many places...there may have been <$2 worth of food--not even slightly filling. We chose it as it was one of the few apps that wasn't deep fried. The service is polite, but slow. I can't recall many words exchanged w/the server. At the end a gentleman who may be the owner asked how the meal was--that was the most interaction. The restaurant is tiny. It was hard to find a seat where the sun wasn't shining in our eyes and we were on top of other diners.
- Private and quiet gemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2013Four of us friends met for dinner and were delighted with Siam Orchid Organic Dining. Order anything with their tangy green curry sauce - it was our table's favorite. Of special note is the crispy chicken on taro nest - again, creative sauce and presentation made this my personal favorite. The space is small and each table for 2 or 4 is intimate and quiet enough to have a real conversation without yelling. Service started out a bit slow but was overall very good and the staff is friendly and eager to please.Special Features:
- Understaffed?OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/17/2013The waiter seemed a bit overwhelmed. Maybe they were understaffed that night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ReviewDorisVIPDined on 5/10/2013Nice little neighborhood gem. Small, like a restaurant in Europe. Good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kobe BeefandibVIPDined on 5/10/2013The Kobe Beef steak special was delicious! Marinated then simply prepared with carrots/beans and a small mound of very good mashed potatoes. Nice serving size, well prepared. Others seemed to be enjoying the ribs. Will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty but slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/26/2013Siam Orchid is a quaint restaurant in Palo Alto with only a dozen or so tables. The wait staff was friendly but slow to take our order. Once we ordered our food, it took even longer for our food to arrive. We ordered the Kari Puff appetizer which was overly deep fried won ton with almost no other flavor (not recommended). Fortunately, our meals were much tastier. I had the Kari Gai and my husband had the organic beef special. I recommend the coconut rice. We waited 15-20 minutes after asking for the check and finally had to go up to the cashier to pay. It took 3 tries for them to apply our $40 groupon.
- Very goodLikaVIPDined on 4/21/2013Coconut soup was excellent, maybe a bit too salty, but I like salty, some other may not.Green papaya salad was a miss, would not order it again. Eggplant salad was very good, and the best part- kobe beef was amazing quality, great portion size and more then fair price. Service was very slow, we were not in a hury, but still... Recommend.Special Features:
- Tiger Prawns delicious. Also,RosalieGVIPDined on 4/18/2013Tiger Prawns delicious. Also, Kobe beef special. Large menu so can try lots of new dishes next time.Special Features:
- Salty food disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/14/2013surprise upcharges + really salty food + general high price. Sorry, but there are so many restaurants in this area that I won't be back here to get Thai food.
- Delicious and Organic!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/11/2013We took our son his for his 14th birthday (along w/ our 11 yr old and 6 yr old) and were surprised what a find it was! Great food and service and so happy it was organic!! Will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Kobe beef special was outstanding,RosalieGVIPDined on 4/3/2013Kobe beef special was outstanding, cooked to perfection. Pork chops with fried onion rings has delicious sweet-sour sauce. Excellent spring rolls, too.Special Features: