Shun Lee Palace
155 East 55th Street
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $31 to $50
Shun Lee Palace
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://shunleepalace.com/
- Phone: 2123718844
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 12:00pm - 3:00pm, Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 3:00pm -11:30pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Executive Chef: Ling Shing Ping
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We can cater any location in Manhattan, for up to 100 guests.
- Private Party Facilities: We have two private areas, one that can accommodate 18-24 guests and one that can accommodate 20-30 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Andy or Patrick 2123718844
A word from Shun Lee Palace
Michael Tong's Midtown "institution" combines "striking" surroundings, "silky service" and "absolutely the best above Canal Street" decorated by Adam Tihany.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerChinese
Shun Lee Palace - Best Restaurants in Midtown East ›
Shun Lee Palace reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (43)special occasion (27)neighborhood gem (26)good for groups (22)great for lunch (18)romantic (15)kid-friendly (6)hot spot (4)notable wine list (3)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Excellent!Shun Lee is a must in NYCDalonsoDined on 10/17/2014Always excellent! Shun Lee is a must in NYC. The duck is awesomeSpecial Features:
- RichDined on 10/16/2014Our first visit and very memorable. There were many items on the menu that were new to us. The pate do foie dumplings were exquisite. Not inexpensive but worth a visit.Special Features:
- JerryDined on 10/12/2014This restaurant has been one of our favorites for the past 25 years. They never disappoint. Service and food are exceptional. Don't miss Bejing duck.Special Features:
- The bestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Better than any Asian restaurant. ..BY..FAR. Superior seasoning and flavors in every dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bestJ2zonaDined on 10/9/2014Absolutely the best. Food and service. Will be back whenever I'm in the citySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rugsreviewDined on 10/9/2014The food here is excellent. Nice price fixe for lunchSpecial Features:
- HelgaDined on 9/27/2014We keep coming to Shun Lee Palace over an dover again! The food is delicious!Special Features:
- RickVIPDined on 9/21/2014Shun Lee Palace is my favorite restaurant in NYC. The Bejing duck, shredded beef and baby eggplant dishes are fabulous.The food is consistent, the wait staff is extremely attentive. I try to go every time I'm in town.Special Features:
- no longer an A studentWarrenbruceVIPDined on 9/21/2014Not a notable dinner. Simple flavors without much interest or depth. Mr Chow or Mr K are betterSpecial Features:
- Classy ChineseFoodLover123Dined on 9/20/2014This is not your typical Chinese Restaurant. Impeccable service, amazingly good fool, and, of course, prices to match. This would not be my weekly spot for Chinese, but for those special occasions? Wow!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Now I know why it's called Palace..CityCountryMouthDined on 9/20/2014....because you area treated like royalty by the entire staff! (The food is also fit for a King or Queen.) What we thought was going to be a routine Saturday night became quite special because we dined here. The level of service and the fine food have me anticipating my next visit already. Their Gluten-Free menu was quite extensive and most appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!birthdaygalDined on 9/15/2014I have been searching for "Cantonese chow mein" that I remember from growing up for a few years now on our trips back to NYC. I found it here! They call it favorites from the 50's! We'll definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Chinese Food in MidtownJMichelsonDined on 9/14/2014We were looking for a more upscale Chinese Restaurant and we found it. Not only was the food of excellent quality but it was served in a very timely fashion. The portions are large so that you can share making the expense far more reasonable. Of course, I didn't share! A great dining experience.Special Features:
- Enjoyable Meal!ladybugDined on 9/13/2014Myself and a girlfriend were in NYC for a mother-daughter trip with our 10 and 11 year old girls. Given how touristy Times Square is, we expected to pay more for a lackluster meal. The girls wanted Chinese and we came upon Shun Lee Palace. What a wonderful meal! The wait staff was attentive. Service was great and the food was fabulous! We ordered 3 entrees and an appetizer for the 4 of us and ate it all! When I'm back in NY, I'll be back at Shun Lee Palace!Special Features:
- Dinner dateDinnerdateDined on 9/6/2014Beijing duck is out of this world . Service is always impeccable! Fabulous dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow! Will be back soon!PVBFanDined on 9/3/2014It's rare that one finds a restaurant where nothing...no, not even a single dish...needs to be changes or upgraded. Outstanding Chinese food in a wonderful setting with attentive and expert service. Most notable was the impressively presented Peking Duck and the fresh tasting won ton soup, which included shrimp and greens. I hope you will stay in business forever,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good mealAlbertDined on 9/1/2014The meal was good, specially the Peking Duck we ordered and so were the spring rolls. However, the service was not good at all and I would dare say even unfriendly. I would not be back since there are friendlier chinese restaurants in town.
- Great Chinese food!samyedsVIPDined on 8/30/2014My wife and I have eaten at Shun Lee dozens of times and they never disappoint us.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Chinese Food in NYCFASHION624Dined on 8/16/2014Shun Lee palace was fantastic. It is a bit pricey, but worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Palace of Chinese food in NYCCarl8food2Dined on 8/16/2014Great food romantic ambiance and impeccable service. I highly recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:
- The Owner has left the barn!WilliamVIPDined on 8/12/2014First, as the captain was taking our order,someone from another table yelled over to him and in the middle of my wife ordering,he walked away from the table with no explanation.(RUDE).Then they forgot my wife's soup dumplings .When we told the captain, he brought them out later with no apology. All this for $18 dumplings!. I ordered the Chan-Do chicken which i was told was white meat. i asked twice. It came out dark meat.The captain insisted it was white until i cut into a piece and showed him. I got a dirty look with no apology. I ordered something else which came out 20 min later.All for $29. The restaurant focuses on their take-out biz which is where the $$$ is. What a shame for such a long time favorite.The place is a good miss now!
- Upscale & solid Chinese restaurantGmoneyVIPDined on 8/12/2014First time there and it exceeded my expectations. Fancy AND delicious. The sea bass with rice wine was my favorite dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excelent healthy foodLuigidiverDined on 8/6/2014The Chinese broccoli and the lily in the woods( bokchoi and mushrums) is delicious and healthy, the sea bass is really good and healthy, the crispy shredded Beijing duckling is not so lean but the taste is outstanding. We discovered a sparkeling wine from New Zealand that is amazing, King crowford fizz from Marlborough that goes grate with the sea bass.Special Features:
- Expected moreOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014I had been here many years ago. I didn't really like the menu. There were a lot of spicy foods but not a lot of classics. The food was good but not great and certainly not worth the price they charged. Everyone's food was acceptable but not outstanding. I had hoped for something very special. We won't be going back again.
- NOLAloveNOLAloveVIPDined on 8/1/2014Great dinner and wonderful service. It was restaurant week so we took advantage of the 38.00 prix fixe menu. Will come back again for upscale Chinese.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week (solo)RaymLDined on 8/1/2014I really liked the blue colored wall of the dining area where I was seated. Everything was very high end including the service and dinnerware. The scallops, sea bass fillet, and the tiramisu were very good; however they're not worth the full regular price (I usually would go to Chinatown, New Jersey, or White Plains for cheaper yet comparable food). You definitely pay for the high end Chinese Restaurant experience here in the regular menu prices. I would definitely recommend this restaurant only on Restaurant Week; I personally would not visit again otherwise. The Shun Lee Palace Restaurant Week Menu is very generous, offering many of its regular selections (maybe the portions are smaller, but I wouldn't know).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced, but very good foodHuengpinhCaDined on 8/1/2014Good for restaurant week lunch, though no duck on that menu. Scallop entre was excellent. Might be open to going back for their more famed dishes / dim sumI would recommend this to a friend.
- Past its primediscerningtasteDined on 7/31/2014Food at this restaurant used to be amazing now it is just above average. Prices are also high for the quality and quantity of food. Ten dollars for a bowl of hot and sour soup is excessive. The portions are ok but average about thirty dollars per entree . Service is great atmosphere is pleasant. If you are looking for a elegant dining experience in a chinese restaurant and don't mind overpaying for above average, but not gourmet food, then you will enjoy Shun Lee Palace.Special Features:
- Good EatsbigapplegirlDined on 7/31/2014Have not been to this high-end chineese restaurant in quite a while and I can say, that it is still as good as I remember it. Of course, being restaurant week in NYC is was a bit loud. Being loud did not take away from the good tasting food and the service and of course the decor. I would certainly recommend this restaurant to friends and family and a few strangers, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Night with my Work ColleaguesMaggieDined on 7/30/2014We all went out for restaurant week at Shun Lee which accommodated 11 of us at a very comfortable table. The food was very good with high quality ingredients. The service was friendly and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Lunch!gadflyfoodie1Dined on 7/21/2014Good food, great-looking restaurant, very friendly service! Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chinese food worth eatingLiketoeatVIPDined on 7/18/2014Really good Beijing duck and everything else. Friendly staff, perfect food with service. Dumplings are special.Special Features:
- DownhillNotSkinnyVIPDined on 7/17/2014Shun Lee an institution has gone downhill in every regard. The food most notably was fair at best . The service was aloof and unattentive. There are certainly far better choice.
- Upscale Chinese for WesternersvisitertonycDined on 7/15/2014very good food, great service, elegant surroundings, limited menu, expensiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatnouveauyorkerDined on 7/14/2014Maybe our standards have changed, and we had not been there in years, but Shun Lee did not impress us as it has in the past. The food was fine, and if you have an urge for Chinese, it will satisfy, just not blow your socks off.I would recommend this to a friend.
- When You Have to Eat in MidtownbridgeandtunnelDined on 7/12/2014Craving decent Chinese, Shun Lee Palace was recommended to me by the concierge at the Waldorf Astoria. Uniformed "captain" greeted us and led us to our table. Wait staff was efficient, the drinks were stiff. Food was just fine, however the smallest food portions I have ever had at a Chinese restaurant; we ended up ordering another entrée after the main course arrived. They did accommodate a special desert order (lychee over almond jello). Two drinks, tea, one appetizer, two entrees, and one desert were $150 not including tip. Next visit, I'll be taking the Lex down to Chinatown.Special Features:
- Shun leeblivDined on 6/30/2014If you appreciate high end chinese this is the place for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 646 reviews are from the Shun Lee Palace reviews archive.
- Something changeArmaniNYCVIPDined on 6/22/2014We go to Shun Lee Palace for a while and always enjoy the food and the service But something has changed at Shun Lee Palace the first thing we have noticed is They have changed the Menu from the elegant version to a cheap plastic laminated version Second And the way we have been served was different too - no more preparing the plates and serve (that always was great) Now all dishes been placed on the table and each one serve themselves The food didn't feel fresh It felt different - maybe that was that Sunday but overall was disappointing Not the same restaurant we likeI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Chinese FoodOh4daluvoffoodDined on 6/19/2014I was looking for a good Chinese restaurant at the last minute. Most places couldn't seat me until a very late seating, so I decided to try Shun Lee's in a bind and was pleasantly surprised. Great pork fried rice, awesome broccoli, and a wonderfully flavored seafood medley. While the food was great, the service was even better. The captain and waiter were incredibly pleasant, very informative and extremely attentive. I was very pleased with the choice. By the way, the red bean crepe was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Gourmet ChineseScooterDined on 6/14/2014Wonderful food with unique gourmet versions of Chinese as well as excellent versions of standard dishes. Exceptional service and a full bar make this a great place to celebrate birthdays, anniversaries and other special occasions.Special Features: