Shula's Steak House - Birmingham
1000 Riverchase Galleria
Birmingham, AL 35244Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $50 and over
Shula's Steak House - Birmingham
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.donshula.com/shulas-steak-house-birmingham
- Phone: (205) 444-5750
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Shula's Steak House - Birmingham
Rated "One of the top 5 Steak Houses in America", Shula's offers Premium Black Angus Beef & the freshest seafood. This elegant dining experience is themed after the Miami Dolphins 1972 perfect season.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Shula's Steak House - Birmingham - Best Restaurants in Birmingham ›
Shula's Steak House - Birmingham reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (25)romantic (15)notable wine list (14)good for groups (10)fit for foodies (8)great for lunch (3)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (2)hot spot (2)neighborhood gem (2)late-night find (2)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- BAD VALUEOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/20/2014Décor looked tired; needs freshening. Started FREEZING at our table. After I complained, it turned out the front door had been left open, and it was 46 degrees outside! Food was OK. The twice baked potato was marginal, at best. The steaks were ok, but I expect PRIME beef at almost $50 a cut. NOT ANGUS! Service was very good. I would definitely recommend another local steakhouse - this one has seen better days, regardless of its good national reputation.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/20/2014Great menu selection for special occasions. Wonderful attentive service allows you to enjoy every bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sks949VIPDined on 11/17/2014This is my first review. One of the worst dining experience. I didn't expect the French Laundry or even Mastro's, but it was truly subpar. The manager gave some lame excuse for not allowing corkage. The waiter poured the entire bottle of the Opus One into three glasses. I ordered the the smaller rib eye and he brought the tomahawk at double the cost. (But a small percentage for the $1k I spent on three people.) Then he didn't pour the second bottle so I had to do it. The food is decent. Your basic steakhouse. It's in the boondocks so it's aboht $30 cab ride each way from Birmingham. I still have the waiter a mercy 25% tip bc we stayed late.
- NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014Dinner was great. Our waiter was friendly but not obnoxious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food.. Amazing ServiceBIGBHAMEATERDined on 11/9/2014The steak was amazing and the server was even better. I had to filet w/ oscar topping and it was absolutely amazing!! The service was just as good. Group setting or romantic evening---it doesn't matter. Shula's did not dissapoint.Special Features:
- outstandinggreatlivingDined on 10/23/2014We have frequented shulas for 5 or 6 years. Food is great and correctly cooked. Staff is very accommodating. This trip we had one really annoying person seated near us, but that is okay, we made it through a fabulous meal. Looking forward to our return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food.fun42Dined on 10/10/2014Definitely will return! Excellent service; atmosphere was perfect. Bar scene was good too.Special Features:
- hammsDined on 10/7/2014Matt was great , he was very good with suggestion on the menu and was awsome with talking to us and never felt rush by him on anyting while we was there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice for a quiet dinnervwmarkDined on 9/27/2014My wife and I had a very nice dinner here recently. Filet mignon was a little undercooked, but this was remedied quickly. Only concern is that the prices are higher than similar restaurants that specialize in steak. Wait staff was very nice to us.Special Features:
- IcewaterBathDined on 9/26/2014The waiter poured a full glass of ice water in my lap in front of my new client. I was so embarrassed and by the time I had to leave the table and my guests and go up to the room to change, my food was cold. The waiter acted like he could care less. I'd spent $100 on a bottle of wine he recommended and when I asked Management to do something the next day as I checked out, they credited my bill $50. This is probably my last visit to Shula's.Special Features:
- Finkley of Birmingham, ALFINKLEYDined on 9/26/2014This is far most one of the top-rated, elegant, and romantic restaurant in Birmingham, AL. Excellent and quality service. Cost should not be an issue when it comes to lavishing yourself with fine dining, customer service, and excellent food.Special Features:
- I've had better filets from Costco.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014Overpriced, chain steakhouse. My $42 8 oz filet was not very tender and lacked flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding SteakFriederVIPDined on 8/27/2014Had a filet mignon that was on par or better than Gallagher's. Perfect French onion soup.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerTessDined on 8/23/2014I had dined here previously and been impressed. This time was my birthday and I was a disappointed. I had the filet oscar and my husband had the prime rib. We had the Caesar salad and baked potato. I would consider all of our dishes to be average quality, but with a high price. The ambiance had been great the previous visit but was noisy and lacked a fine dining ambiance this visit.Special Features:
- SteakAmykevinhillVIPDined on 8/23/2014Best steak I've had in a long time - maybe ever. I could have cut it with a butter knife! I like very little pink inside so it is rare that someone can cook a steak to "almost well done" and keep it so tender. Perfect!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor StaffingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/20/2014Went in two nights in a row and the bartender was overwhelmed. He gave priority to the service bar and it took forever to get drinks or anything close to food. Hostess was rude and short, obviously being overwhelmed with people complaining as well. Missed our reservation time due to a large party still in house.Special Features:
- Superb Shulawant2returnDined on 8/17/2014The food, service and ambiance were all outstanding! Our waiter Matthew (Matt) was super in all respects including his humor and knowledge of all the menu items. He topped off a superb evening with a free dessert for my wife on her birthday!! We will return and we will request Matt for our service. The food including the main courses and the salad and sides were top notch. A day later and we are still telling our family members and friends what an outstanding time we had. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious birthday dinnerLWDinerDined on 8/16/2014My husband and I celebrated his 39th birthday at Shula's. It was our first visit, and it did not disappoint! Salads, steaks, sides, wine, and dessert were all fantastic! The staff was superb. We will return again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 303 reviews are from the Shula's Steak House - Birmingham reviews archive.
- Best in Birmingham for Steak..codyDined on 7/26/2014Simply put, there is no better steak in Birmingham than Shula's. Yes, you can get steak elsewhere, but when you say "Shula's" it's a different level of steak, a different level of service, and a different level of expectation. The service is knowledgeable about the food and preparation, the wine list is inclusive, and the ambiance is quiet and reserved. Expect to pay for the best and invest in a memory for life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shula's for AnniversaryBamaGdubDined on 7/24/2014The steaks, side of mushrooms and service was excellent. They offered use a free desert since it was our anniversary but we were too full and declined. They then without asking brought us a glass of champagne since we didn't want desert. Great place to go for special occasions.Special Features:
- Great Anniversary LocationPrettyCold06Dined on 7/23/2014My wife and I celebrated 9 years this Wednesday. We went to Shulas and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Jason was our waiter and he took the time to explain the cuts of meat to us and answered all out questions. I had the filet and my wife had the lamb, which were both cooked to our specifications. Certainly will be going back and the price was reasonable. FYI the sides are HUGE so only order one. You'll thank me later!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shula's has the best steaks EVER!!Darlinwh2000Dined on 7/16/2014Every time we are in or near Birmingham, we head to Shula's. Their bone-in filet is the best I've ever had, and they are very hard to find! They also have an amazing selection of wine! Guaranteed to be one of the best dining experiences you'll ever have. Great for any special occasion, especially a romantic dinner. Best steak house, with the best service in the South!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for our AnniversaryRaddptDined on 7/12/2014Celebrated our 12th anniversary here. Service was amazing! Loved the quiet atmosphere with music playing soft and low in the background. Very romantic. With our reservation we were seated immediately. Loaded baked potato was excellent, steak cooked perfect and very tender. Would have liked a sauce for my steak. Our bill with tip was 147.00. We did not order wine or salad. We wanted a dessert but there were no tree but free options. That is typical though for most restaurants. Their waiters were the best in Alabama!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent.dl52282Dined on 7/2/2014Have been going to Shula's for several years. Service & food are always first class.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First VisitCosmo7VIPDined on 6/30/2014Was blown away by the great service, excellent food and overall dinner. Called out the Chef to thank him for a great meal, as well! Thank you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always quality serviceDonMargaretDined on 6/17/2014recently tried the lunch menu and will be on our list for casual eating experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinnerdlock76Dined on 6/13/2014First time to dine at Shula's. Atmosphere is nice. Food was ok, but not worth the cost. Service was average. The salads were good, wedge and house salad ordered. Cowboy cut and filet were cooked as ordered, but we've had better steaks as far as flavor. Crab mac and cheese was our favorite side. Would not recommend potato gratin, as it was dry and mushy. Apple cobbler was great. We were offered complimentary dessert for our anniversary, but they charged us anyway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday at ShulasHuddieDined on 6/12/2014As always, we enjoyed our evening at Shulas. The food is delicious - how can anyone cook the steak better. We celebrated my birthday and have now for 3 years, plus some special dining there along the way. It is extravagant for us as we don't use an expense account and are retired. We enjoy the booths and with my husband a sports enthusiast, he loves the ambiance as do iI.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 31st Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/4/2014The steaks were great and so was everything else foodwise. However, my wife and I were seated at 7:30pm but did not get our entrees until 9:20. The waitress was very courteous and apologized for the delay. She even comped my steak and 2 desserts. It was a Wed night and restaurant didn't seem too crowded. I just assumed going to Shula's guaranteed promptness and close attention to diners.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/21/2014The salad was a little over-dressed but the steaks and side dishes were very good. We ordered the lava cake for dessert which was also good but ridiculously expensive. We had to order it 30 minutes ahead and the waiter never mentioned the price. We never would've ordered a $30 dessert had we known. We arrived a few minutes early and were made to wait until our reservation time. When we finally walked through the dining room to be seated it was nearly empty. The wait was unnecessary- and annoying.Special Features:
- FailureAnniversaryDined on 5/20/2014This was to be a special dinner for my wife and I, our 25th anniversary. I made the reservation with some special request specifically regarding the table, wine and flowers to be ready upon my arrival at the table. I also stopped by the evening prior to my reservation to ensure the request was received and also pick out the table. After I selected the table and was assured that the table would be reserved with the wine and flowers I felt comfort knowing that our anniversary dinner would be a special night. Unfortunately upon my arrival we were seated at a booth that could have sat 8 guest and NO WINE, NO FLOWERS but of course a Football on a tee was the center piece, hardly a romantic moment. A very special evening spoiled by Shula's.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/11/2014Average food for the price. I've had better steak, sides, and dessert elsewhere in Bhm.Special Features:
- ClosedPetitDined on 5/11/2014Restaurant was CLOSED! On Mother's Day! Why was my reservation accepted on Open Table if the restaurant was going to be closed?
- Great place for a special getaway.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014Impeccable staff, extremely knowledgeable on steak cuts,preparation and wine choice. Steaks were one of a kind,tender and full of flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experiencenightisrightDined on 4/19/2014The food was very good and service was great. It is a little pricy but good place for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Overall ExperiencesteakloverDined on 4/18/2014Took my parents out to dinner at Shula's. None of us had ever been. It was a great dining experience and the food was exceptional. Have already recommended it to friends and family. I would definitely come back and eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and service wereJessicaDined on 4/12/2014The food and service were awesome!! It is a little pricey but ok for special events.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Formal Dining at its BestGr82eatVIPDined on 4/9/2014I brought my client here for a nice dinner after a day of air travel. This restaurant is located in the lobby of the Hyatt Hotel was decorated nicely, but I was a bit surprised about the dimly lit room. We had a trio of great servers, led by Lionel. We started with a wedge salad and creamed spinach and enjoyed a nice filet (after receiving a personal review of the steak cuts) and crab cakes for our entrees. The whole time we dined the wait staff was very attentive and checked with us several times to make sure that we were pleased with our selections and service, which we were. We finished our dinner with a freshly prepared apple cobbler and vanilla ice cream. We enjoyed our dining experience at Shula's and would certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 86 the prime ribnewfoodieDined on 3/29/2014My first dining experience and it was awesome...Started the night with the bbq shrimp(HUGE) and blackened tenderloin tips as an appetizer...accompanied with the fresh baked bread we almost got full right then. I initially ordered the prime rib but was told it was sold out (it was only 8pm) so i iopted for the 8oz filet, my date had the cowboy ribeye...both ordered medium and cooked to perfection! it was like butter when cutting . The sides were the crab mac and cheese,twice baked potato and green beans...the sides are large enough to share. The mac and cheese was the best in my opinion. From beginning to end the service,food,atmosphere was perfect. Cant wait to dine again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Presentationluv2eatDined on 3/27/2014Love the food but especially the presentation of the food. Presentation is Key!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.