23360 Chagrin Blvd
Beachwood, OH 44122Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.shuheirestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2164641720
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Counter Seating
A word from Shuhei
Japanese cuisine is easily one of the healthiest on Earth, with its concentration on fresh fish, seafood, meats, vegetables and rice. The zesty sauces and delicate flavors of fresh foods compliment each other beautifully, and the methods of presentation turn even simple meals into ornate, eye-pleasing events. The Japanese love of beauty and simplicity turns slices of fish into miniature artworks, turning the platter into paint palettes for the artistry of the chef. Here, at Shuhei, traditional ways of creating dishes and preparing foods are far from lost. Authentic, high-quality and extensive Japanese fare is the highlight of the restaurant complete with affordable prices, relaxing atmosphere, kimono-clad waitresses who go the extra mile to make you smile and "the best sushi this side of Tokyo" according to ZAGAT Survey 2008!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Shuhei - Best Restaurants in Beachwood ›
Shuhei reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (27)fit for foodies (18)good for groups (17)special occasion (12)great for lunch (8)romantic (4)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great place for sushi loversklewDined on 10/4/2014This is a very good restaurant, elegant, nice ambiance, waitresses in kimonos and very tasty food. What else does one need? As long as you like Japanese taste this place is perfect. The only thing missing is hibachi, very popular with Japanese restaurants, but this place is just different style from hibachi places, very quiet and stylish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealLov2eatVIPDined on 9/27/2014Great sueshi, good food, service a little slow but we were in no hurry. Big round table for comfort and easy conversation. Great salad dressing for the salAd. Combine the creamy garlic & ginger dressing. Delicious. Great on the rice alsoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Old Shuhei - A FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/23/2014Always consistent. Shuhei is my reliable 'go to' spot for old school sushi. I like the traditional décor. Their sushi is always fresh and delicious. Even on a Tuesday night - this place is filled.Special Features:
- Pretty good for ClevelandFoxpauseVIPDined on 9/13/2014This is a restaurant where if you stick with shashimi and cooked food you do very well. shushi fish is pre cut and rolls are poor at best. However if you order shashimi it is cut to order from better fish. Cooked items are well done and generous.Special Features:
- Great hidden Beachwood gemElaineVIPDined on 9/13/2014We love Shuhei. Always great food and great service. We love it here. Never disappoints!Special Features:
- Consistently the best.2shoesVIPDined on 9/12/2014Always exceptional. A very disciplined kitchen that has wide range of talents. Whether sushi or not- this is awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/8/2014I have eaten in Japanese restaurants all around the country, but I have never found food that I enjoy as much as at Shuhei. I have been going there, and its predecessor in Cleveland Heights for decades.Special Features:
- Standard SushiEleutheriaDined on 9/5/2014I ordered the Chirashi (Edomac) dinner, which was supposed to have included both raw and cooked fish on a bed of sushi rice. I ended up receiving only raw fish (Korean Style). The tuna was the freshest tuna I have had. However, I thought the portion was very small for the price. There was only 10 pieces (including the egg tamagoyaki), which is less than what I receive at a local sushi joint (Sakura) for their lunch portion with comparable quality seafood and at a third of the price. I also found the sushi rice to be underseasoned; it could have used more rice vinegar. I would probably eat there if I was closer, but won't be making the trip up from Akron to specifically go there.Special Features:
- Wonderful ...FormerBankerMarcDined on 8/23/2014This was not our first time at Shuhei but every visit is notable. Our dinner was prepared to perfection and served wonderfully. Our waitress, Chi, was wonderful and made us feel like a friend. I highly recommend Shuhei for wonderful food (their sushi is the absolute best) and perfect service.Special Features:
- A Real TreatStellamingDined on 8/21/2014What a find by our CIA junior! Great staff and fabulous food. Loved the Monkey King. Thanks for making us feel so welcome.Special Features:
- Best Japanese in TownPaulhsbrDined on 8/20/2014Shuhei has been around for many years, always with the same very high quality food standards and great ambient. Really a must if you like sushi and sashimi!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shuhei still does it wellSwampmanVIPDined on 8/1/2014I have been dining at Shuhei for years and can say that Hiroshi still has the same commitment to excellence in food taste, quality of service and experience. So many restaurants over time lose that commitment. Not Hiroshi or Shuhei. Even though the menu hasn't changed much over the years, everything is still impeccably done. You know what you are going to get when you dine at Shuhei, first class quality food, whether it is sushi or the unbelievably good fried oysters, or a grilled meat or fish, or even just damn good miso soup. Everything is done with an attention to detail. the food is of the highest quality. A great all-around Japanese restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A family favoriteeatingoutDined on 8/1/2014We always have a very good meal at Shuhei, and it has become one of our family's favorite restaurants. The menu is large and there are lots of excellent vegetarian dishes. The sushi is wonderful. Service is friendly and efficient.Special Features:
- SusanbVIPDined on 7/27/2014Been to shushei countless times and always love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GeorgeVIPDined on 7/15/2014Our party of 4 had a great time at Shuhei. The other couple had been there before, but this was our first time, and it did not disappoint. Our server was attentive and fun. The food was fantastic. Among the 4 of us, we had appetizers (Gyoza), a seafood entrée (Scampi Bean), Sushi Okamase, and assorted sushi. All was delicious. We also enjoyed sake and wine. The noise level was pretty low, except probably from us. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rediscover or discoverZmanVIPDined on 7/10/2014A real gem with solid and consistent food preparations and a very capable and friendly wait staff. If you haven't been, go. If you haven't been in a while, go back.Special Features:
- The following 68 reviews are from the Shuhei reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014Food: Amazing Service: Splendid Sake: Hot and deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We keep going back!SuzamcqVIPDined on 6/9/2014Best Japanese restaurant in the Cleveland area by far. We've been coming here for years and expect to for years to come! Tried the soft shell crab entrée and the scampi tempura this time - both were fab! Sushi is always top notch. Highly recommend Shuhei!Special Features:
- Best sushi I have ever had!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/7/2014Great sushi and excellent service - you couldn't ask for more!
- Best sushi in ClevelandzendiningDined on 5/15/2014This s consistently the best sushi we have had in Cleveland...we have tried many and always return to Shuhei. Also their varied appetizers are imaginative and delicious:-)Special Features:
- Great foodCocoVIPDined on 5/2/2014Been dining here for years. Always excellent and friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice ambiance, great food & serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/1/2014The food was remarkable and service was excellent. Decor and ambiance were restful and attractive. service not hurried. THe sushi is excellent and the beef sukiyaki is terrific.Special Features:
- Best sushi in town2shoesVIPDined on 4/19/2014Best sushi but really a fabulous kitchen best kitchen period for those non sushi diners too. Everything is made to perfection and though I am a huge sushi lover I often get tempted by scamppi bean dish, lamb chop, best tempura and his apps. Ribs!!! Beef negamki or dumplings or frog legs. This is one of best kitchens in city bar none.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time- just as goidFeedmeDined on 4/18/2014The best Sushi hands down. Great service both times there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalFormerBankerMarcDined on 4/5/2014Our memorable dinner began with a greeting from our server, Chi. She was very pleasant, knowledgeable and efficient. Our dinner was served beautifully and was very, very good. We will return again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful SushiReeseDined on 3/21/2014The sushi is wonderful. I highly recommend going there for a sushi night. I did not eat anything else.Special Features:
- Great sushi!NicoleDined on 3/14/2014Very good sushi. Nice amount of fish in each roll.Special Features:
- We hadn't been to Shuhei forOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/14/2014We hadn't been to Shuhei for dinner in a few years and were pleased to find that the food is still excellent and the restaurant continues to be busy. Shuhei's has the best sushi in town!Special Features:
- Food and Service always PERFECT!AlyseVIPDined on 3/1/2014The entire menu is incredible! The server was amazing! SO on top of things! Best sushi around!Special Features:
- Great foodKatieDined on 2/16/2014First time here, friends have recommended it. Extensive menu, even for people who do not eat fish or sushi. Delicious food. Service is slow, so if you are in a hurry make sure to let your server know. Will for sure be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome sushi at Shuhei!SbjmVIPDined on 2/15/2014Restaurant is tucked away behind an office building on Chagrin Blvd. but has been discovered by many... even with a reservation we waited 10-15 minutes in the very small, packed & cold waiting area. Restaurant doesn't have the best ambiance but makes up for it with the food. Salmon nigiri was so fresh and delicious! Other rolls were just as good. Good wine by the glass options. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Great Sushi!!!MangiareDined on 2/14/2014We made reservations for Valentines day. We were seated and waited quite a while for our dinner, which is somewhat understandable for such a busy night and for food that is made to order. Right when we couldn't take it anymore and were about to get upset, our waitress came out with our amazing sushi. Wow!! It was well worth the wait and will definitely be back again and again. Miami heat and firecracker are the rolls that I ordered and I was thoroughly impressed. Definitely recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shuhei Reduxixlr8VIPDined on 2/14/2014It was V Day, so make the necessary commentary. We had a 5:30 res, which is when they open. We ended up getting seated in the "Club Room", which from my perspective is fancy terminology for "not the main dining area". Three ladies covered the room as a team. As the room filled, service took a turn for the worse. My tea was cold, or not refilled, and to my dismay, the food order was not 100% correct. We decided to chalk it up to Holiday non-preparedness and finished dinner and left. I was disappointed only becuase I know what kind of high level these folks can operate and it was just not there this time around. The place was full as to be expected on V Day, I hope the main dining room patrons got a taste of the high life. Till next time..I would recommend this to a friend.
- tried and true.Critic02Dined on 2/1/2014Shuhei has been a constant and consistant winner for those who like Japanese cuisine. Do not expect a trendy here today and gone tomorrow type of dining spot but a fixture for fine Japanese dining for many years. That being said they have refreshed the interior and serve excellent quality sushi, lovely ramen and a menu that offers many choices keeps us coming back often.Special Features:
- DisappointedNew2TownDined on 1/17/2014I chose this sushi restaurant because of the rating. What a disappointment. First of all the sushi is below average and the menu does not read well. The restaurant decor is tired. Even though many people are standing around, the service is very poor. The ambiance is very boring. No music, no greeting or exchange with servers or sushi chefs. To top it off, the prices are high. WIll not go back.
- Excellent and consistentJaredDined on 1/4/2014Have been coming in since Shuhei opened and have never been let down. Great food, good variety for types of diners, great service, and friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were a party of nine andSuzyVIPDined on 12/28/2013We were a party of nine and we had a private room which was wonderful. The server was very attentive and patient with our party as we tried to figure out what to order. All of the food was well presented, hot and delicious.Special Features:
- Great experience!HappyDinerDined on 12/28/2013I really enjoyed Shuhei. Food and service were great, and the restaurant was quiet so we could actually hear each other talk. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/1/2013This restaurant is consistent in the quality of the sushi -- always good and the fish is fresh. The sushi chefs can get busy at times and this slows down the delivery of your order to the table. Overall good eperience.Special Features:
- Nabeyaki Udon on a cold CLE nightUdonDined on 11/23/2013Last minute decision to warm up with a hot dish of Nabeyaki Udon at Shuhei. Welcomed and seated quickly. Wonderful server. She was prompt, helpful, and attentive.I would recommend this to a friend.