Shugrues Hillside Grill
671 Scenic Route Hwy 179
Sedona, AZ 86336Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Shugrues Hillside Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.shugrueshillside.com/
- Phone: 9282825300
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 9:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael A. Mullins
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Our Special Event Coordinators will work with you to arrange the perfect occasion. Whether it’s a small, intimate dinner for 8, a power business lunch for 20, a lavish cocktail party for 120 or anything else in between, Shugrues Hillside Catering will take care of all the details to ensure your event is a huge success!
- Private Party Contact: Brooke Sanders 6025098498
- Entertainment: Featuring live musicians on the weekends. Please call to inquire about additional details.
A word from Shugrues Hillside Grill
Shugrues Hillside Grill sits atop a hill overlooking Sedona's beautiful red mountains with some of the best views in all of Sedona.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Shugrues Hillside Grill - Best Restaurants in Sedona ›
Shugrues Hillside Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (39)great for outdoor dining (34)romantic (21)special occasion (19)fit for foodies (12)great for lunch (10)neighborhood gem (8)good for groups (4)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (4)notable wine list (3)vibrant bar scene (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- excellentnaomiDined on 10/18/2014Sever took pictures for us. Great food. Breathtaking scenery at sunset. Best ever and worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sunset and good food.WMeeVIPDined on 10/16/2014My wife and I eat at Shurgrues once or twice a year. The food and service have been consistently good. We got there in time for the last of a beautiful sunset. Lots of cameras in action. My wife had her standard duck and cherries - a favorite. The prices are quite reasonable as soup or salad and starch and vegetables are included. I had trout which was excellent. We shared a large piece of great carrot cake for desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyEatingVIPDined on 10/13/2014My wife and I had lunch at the Shugrues Hillside Grill while in Sedona last week. While on the outside patio, the view of the different rock formations was unlike anything else we have ever seen … and the food was good too. I would recommend this dining experience to anyone.Special Features:
- Shugrue's has the best salmon ever!Juls38inOCDined on 10/13/2014Met two lady friends @ 11:30 for lunch. We sat outside to take advantage of view of red rocks, spectacular! Unfortunately, both of my friends wanted the polenta with onion rings, and our poor waitress had to give us bad news two times in a row: no polenta, and then, no onion rings! However. a huge Reuben sandwich on marbled bread and barbecued chicken sandwich made them very happy. The servers were informative, kind, and attentive. We had a great time and can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just what we nededOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014Beautiful view, great food, great mood, great drinks, got the one server we just didn't see much, but the others picked up the slack well. Timed it so we missed the big group coming in. We were looking for quiet peaceful dinner just the two of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic ViewspyrthkrDined on 10/12/2014Gave up trying to make a reservation the night before with whatever hostess was on duty. She continually just switched to talking with someone else rather than excusing herself or simply concentrating on our call. Made the reservation via Open Table even easier. Return here nearly every time I'm in Sedona. the food is very good and the views are fantastic. We shared a couple appetizers (ceviche, deviled eggs) and split one of the daily specials (mussel & clam linguine) before convincing ourselves to have the apple tart for desert. The service staff had a bit of trouble with the wind gusts but were attentive to the chaos that caused. Will return again, and again, and again.......Special Features:
- DaleVIPDined on 10/12/2014went here on our vacation in Sedona due to all the good reviews - however the food did not match up to those reviews - it was good but certainly nothing to rave about. Too many other great restaurants in the area - would not go back here.Special Features:
- WonderfulKrisDined on 10/8/2014We celebrated my mothers 60th birthday. Fantastic. Food was amazing. Quiet setting overlooking the red rocks. I would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Small wedding receptionPhoeniciansDined on 10/4/2014We went to this restaurant after our elopement. 4 adults and 2 children. They were wonderful. Sat us in s private section of the restaurant (with windows so we didn't feel cut off). Service was great and attentive without being "hover-y". Menu was upscale but they still had items for the kids. We had a cake delivered there and they not only stored and brought it to the table, but we're very thoughtful in wrapping the topper up for us to take home. We had a very enjoyable dinner and our small celebration was just perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect EveningseauagainDined on 9/24/2014Our 33rd wedding anniversary treat, and I can't begin to tell you how wonderful it was dining at Shugrues. The entire evening was beautiful, from the friendly staff to the wonderful food. The beautiful view from the patio of the Sedona Red Rock even added to the evening. Thank you soooooo much for making our special evening such a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Crazy pricesJustwrite1VIPDined on 9/21/2014Prices as high as the server: food quality and selection way off versus previous visitsSpecial Features:
- Lee1125VIPDined on 9/11/2014Disappointing. Food was average. We expected better.
- Unbelievable view!!!charmingdudeDined on 9/11/2014We have been going up to Sedona for over 25 years now and never discovered Shugrues until this trip. Glad we did and we'll be back. View is spectacular food was very good. Out door patio is the place to be when the weather is right.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedJJ101Dined on 9/10/2014Went for late lunch while passing through Sedona. After looking at their video on line we were somewhat disappointed with the ambience. Food and service was fine however.
- Unbelievable beauty-amazing sceneryCabingirlDined on 9/9/2014The beauty of the views at this restaurant(especially on the patio) outweigh any deficiencies in the menu or food preparation. The food was delicious-I had the small serving of salmon and my son had the ribs, which were both served with rice and perfectly steamed vegetables. The menu prices here are steep, with most menu full dinners in the $35. Range. The restaurant also seemed somewhat short-staffed, as there were long periods between service. I was served the wrong beer, and it became necessary that I physically go back into the restaurant for help. The server staff was very helpful and pleasant-we tipped handsomelySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeniseLove2wineDined on 9/2/2014Sunset is the very best time to be on the patio. The view of the Red Rocks is stunning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great viewNicknameVIPDined on 8/25/2014this is a good restaurant but the best part about it is the great view of the red rocks. The patio is a very nice al fresco location as long as it is not windy but their great picture window allows a great great view from most tables. Go for sunset dining.Special Features:
- Awesome viewIzzyDined on 8/24/2014We sat outside and the view was awesome. We had a nice time and were treated very good. My husband loved his steak but I was not impressed with the quality of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014food was solid, portions are massive. very nice view of sedona and red rocks at sunset, though you can't see the sunset directly. i heartily recommend the portobello mushroom in pastry dough entree. it's so nice to see a restaurant offering vegetarians a delicious, substantial, not-a-consolation-prize entree!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- interesting food - great view!SallyDined on 8/16/2014I love coming to Shugrues- make sure to eat here every time I'm in Sedona. They have an interesting selection of food choices and a fabulous view of the red rocks. I was there for lunch and I tried the blackened shrimp with grilled cheese- excellent! Also tried their special mojito- with acai and mint leaves. AIt was very refreshing. Service was friendly, and not rushed. I sat after paying the bill and just soaked up the view awhile longer. Prices are not cheap- $15 for the shrimp and $11 for the drink. But it's all well worth it.Special Features:
- Sedona DiningFoodie743Dined on 8/15/2014Shugrues has a nice menu, the food was very good, but the atmosphere needs a redo….porch is a nice place to sit, but railings are peeling and the inside was just old looking. They were very accommodating, in every other way. Prices were somewhat high but food was well doneSpecial Features:
- Old and DisappointingLoveGreatFoodDined on 8/12/2014In past years this WAS a great place for steaks, but the owner has allowed the restaurant grow into disrepair with lackluster service - no hosts, greated by a busperson knowing very little, worn stained menus. Signs of not caring and going out of business hung everywhere. It's a great location that is failing to meet reasonable standards of great service and food. We will no longer recommend this Sedona, AZ restaurant!Special Features:
- Must-do on our listGmanandFamVIPDined on 8/9/2014We generally visit Sedona at least once a year, and have been doing so for about13 years. Shugrue's is always on our list of must-do's for every visit. We will plan our trip and make reservations on open table before we even pack. It's great for the kids and the food, ambiance and views can't be beat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceSamj65Dined on 8/8/2014Celebrated our anniversary with outside dining and fantastic views of the red rock formations of Sedona. Sunset offered a nice experience also. Food was fantastic. My wife and I both had steak. Desert and wine was a nice added touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ViewsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014Good ambience and menu. Desserts were favorite. Would recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful SettingDineNSedonaDined on 7/27/2014The views are outstanding, and the restaurant is very pretty. The service was slower than one would expect at a fine restaurant. Once we ordered the food was warm, and beautifully presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over RatedVeryDisappointedDined on 7/26/2014Menu prices do not reflect food quality for sure. I read several reviews mentioning the same. Wish I would have taken those reviews to heart and saved my money. View is nice, but certainly doesn't account for the prices and mediocre food quality. Seared ahi tuna was stone cold inside. Salmon in net was doughy and chewy. Cooked vegetable sides weren't even luke warm. Garlic mashed potatoes had no flavor of garlic. Need I go on.Special Features:
- Poor foodMeyer5541Dined on 7/24/2014All the food was soggy and didn't have much flavor. We were also the only ones in the restaurant yet the service was slow.
- Hot TamalesFooDeliteDined on 7/19/2014The Lobster and Green Chile Tamale special was outstanding. The price was a good value for two drinks and two meals. It's a nice view to watch the sunset too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- everything was excellentArizonaRoxDined on 7/4/2014We were here on the 4th of July. The view of the red rocks was awesome. The staff was very friendly, not overbearing. The food was outstanding. Everything from the bread to the wine was perfectly prepared and presented. The lamb and scallop entrees were dynamite and the new england clam chowder was the best in the west. I would recommend highly and will be visiting again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For older crowdAnne123VIPDined on 6/28/2014The location is convenient and views are fantastic. Service was super friendly. Food was good, but definitely overpriced (which is the case for the majority of the restaurants in Sedona). The crowed is old... All tables had old (70+) couples dining... Decor was also a bit dated and the deck was too hot at 7pm tonsil outside and there were no umbrellas or any shades....Special Features:
- Great service, food and atmosphere!FullbellyMcGillDined on 6/27/2014Excellent service, everyone was very accommodating. Chef Michael himself came out to check on us (nice guy). The salads and starters were excellent. Both the steak and fish we ordered were cooked to the perfect temperature. Very attentive wait staff.Special Features:
- The following 262 reviews are from the Shugrues Hillside Grill reviews archive.
- Higher expectationsmoonandbackDined on 6/15/2014Wasn't welcomed upon arrival. When hostess walked up from back she simply said- do you have a reservation? We were sat outside. Daughter is 2yr old. No booster seat offered. Husband enjoyed his swordfish. But the buffalo chicken strips, which we asked to be extra crispy were very soggy. So much so that when I tried showing waitress by picking it up with a fork it flopped over and the breading slid completely off the chicken. Was very unappealing. I wasn't offered new ones. She simply said okay ill take them away. They were removed from bill, I left without eating dinner on fathers day with my husband and daughter. I had to track waitress down to pay. Then as I was signing bill and leaving tip she left me standing at register. Disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mich13mich13VIPDined on 6/10/2014spectacular view. book by 6 pm so can see. the sides were bland - the potatoes. and we didn't like the broccoli either- large pieces. lemon cake was very good for desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/9/2014We were definitely disappointed in the food. We both ordered fish and the meal was just 'okay'. We had seen ads promoting their great seafood dishes, but, we were not impressed at all. The food was marginal and the prices were too high for the quality of the meal.Special Features:
- SeafoodvacationfoodDined on 6/7/2014The best Clam Chowder & Swordfish I have had since leaving New England.Special Features:
- Fabulous birthday dinnerTravelGirlDined on 5/31/2014This is the place to go to in Sedona for a special dinner (IMHO)! Marvelous food, great service, and a willingness to go above and beyond to make our dining experience memorable. My husband and I came back to Sedona after a 13-year absence (we live on the East Coast), and decided to come here for my 60th birthday dinner. From the moment we walked in ("Wow- you're 60, really??" from the hostess), to the delicious fish entree and gratis "Happy Birthday" brownie with candle, we had a wonderful time. And I do have to mention the excellent live music as well (big band-cabaret singing and jazz sax by Errol on Saturday evenings)! Couldn't ask for better - wish this place was on the East Coast! We'll be back...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/23/2014My wife and I just spent our anniversary weekend in Sedona. For our 2 dinners I picked out Shugrues and Dahl & Di Lucca. I'd highly recommend the latter but was disappointed in Shugrues. Both meals cost us exactly the same ($147 including drink, desserts to go, tax and tip), but Dahl and Di Lucca is so much better. Our reservations were for 6:45 on a Friday night so I expected it to be crowded but it was not even half full, a bad sign. Despite mostly open tables and no line it took about 5 minutes to be seated. The service was good but the food was slow in coming and quite bland (I had the salmon in pastry net; it was perfectly cooked, but I just found it to be bland, tasteless. OK overall, great views, but not worth the price tag.Special Features:
- The bestHowellVIPDined on 5/22/2014Each time we come to Sedona we make reservations for Shugrues! And each time we are not disappointed! A five star in a small town! We will be back again and expect the best!Special Features:
- Not returningVictoireVIPDined on 5/18/2014I have been here a few times, always as a guest, so this was the first time I'd ever seen the bill. I was offended by my gratuity choices, (18 and 20%) being written for me at the top of the bill. Did I look too dumb to figure it out myself? There were 3 of us for lunch and each of us took offense to the gratuity. Anabel, our waitress showed up twice...to take the order and to hand us the bill, each time without a smile. The food was not as good as I remembered it, but one of my guests said he had an excellent tuna melt. The lobster was hard to find in the lobster mac and cheese. My special caesar of the day, containing steak, had very little meat. Next time I'm in Sedona, I will look for another place to enjoy the view while diningSpecial Features: