Shugrues Hillside Grill
671 Scenic Route Hwy 179
Sedona, AZ 86336Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Shugrues Hillside Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.shugrueshillside.com/
- Phone: 9282825300
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 9:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael A. Mullins
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Our Special Event Coordinators will work with you to arrange the perfect occasion. Whether it’s a small, intimate dinner for 8, a power business lunch for 20, a lavish cocktail party for 120 or anything else in between, Shugrues Hillside Catering will take care of all the details to ensure your event is a huge success!
- Private Party Contact: Brooke Sanders 6025098498
- Entertainment: Featuring live musicians on the weekends. Please call to inquire about additional details.
A word from Shugrues Hillside Grill
Shugrues Hillside Grill sits atop a hill overlooking Sedona's beautiful red mountains with some of the best views in all of Sedona.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Shugrues Hillside Grill - Best Restaurants in Sedona ›
Shugrues Hillside Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (32)great for outdoor dining (21)special occasion (20)romantic (14)fit for foodies (10)neighborhood gem (8)good for groups (5)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (4)notable wine list (4)great for brunch (2)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- great viewNicknameVIPDined on 8/25/2014this is a good restaurant but the best part about it is the great view of the red rocks. The patio is a very nice al fresco location as long as it is not windy but their great picture window allows a great great view from most tables. Go for sunset dining.Special Features:
- Awesome viewOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/24/2014We sat outside and the view was awesome. We had a nice time and were treated very good. My husband loved his steak but I was not impressed with the quality of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014food was solid, portions are massive. very nice view of sedona and red rocks at sunset, though you can't see the sunset directly. i heartily recommend the portobello mushroom in pastry dough entree. it's so nice to see a restaurant offering vegetarians a delicious, substantial, not-a-consolation-prize entree!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- interesting food - great view!SallyDined on 8/16/2014I love coming to Shugrues- make sure to eat here every time I'm in Sedona. They have an interesting selection of food choices and a fabulous view of the red rocks. I was there for lunch and I tried the blackened shrimp with grilled cheese- excellent! Also tried their special mojito- with acai and mint leaves. AIt was very refreshing. Service was friendly, and not rushed. I sat after paying the bill and just soaked up the view awhile longer. Prices are not cheap- $15 for the shrimp and $11 for the drink. But it's all well worth it.Special Features:
- Sedona DiningFoodie743Dined on 8/15/2014Shugrues has a nice menu, the food was very good, but the atmosphere needs a redo….porch is a nice place to sit, but railings are peeling and the inside was just old looking. They were very accommodating, in every other way. Prices were somewhat high but food was well doneSpecial Features:
- Old and DisappointingLoveGreatFoodDined on 8/12/2014In past years this WAS a great place for steaks, but the owner has allowed the restaurant grow into disrepair with lackluster service - no hosts, greated by a busperson knowing very little, worn stained menus. Signs of not caring and going out of business hung everywhere. It's a great location that is failing to meet reasonable standards of great service and food. We will no longer recommend this Sedona, AZ restaurant!Special Features:
- Must-do on our listGmanandFamVIPDined on 8/9/2014We generally visit Sedona at least once a year, and have been doing so for about13 years. Shugrue's is always on our list of must-do's for every visit. We will plan our trip and make reservations on open table before we even pack. It's great for the kids and the food, ambiance and views can't be beat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceSamj65Dined on 8/8/2014Celebrated our anniversary with outside dining and fantastic views of the red rock formations of Sedona. Sunset offered a nice experience also. Food was fantastic. My wife and I both had steak. Desert and wine was a nice added touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ViewsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014Good ambience and menu. Desserts were favorite. Would recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful SettingDineNSedonaDined on 7/27/2014The views are outstanding, and the restaurant is very pretty. The service was slower than one would expect at a fine restaurant. Once we ordered the food was warm, and beautifully presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over RatedVeryDisappointedDined on 7/26/2014Menu prices do not reflect food quality for sure. I read several reviews mentioning the same. Wish I would have taken those reviews to heart and saved my money. View is nice, but certainly doesn't account for the prices and mediocre food quality. Seared ahi tuna was stone cold inside. Salmon in net was doughy and chewy. Cooked vegetable sides weren't even luke warm. Garlic mashed potatoes had no flavor of garlic. Need I go on.Special Features:
- Poor foodMeyer5541Dined on 7/24/2014All the food was soggy and didn't have much flavor. We were also the only ones in the restaurant yet the service was slow.
- Hot TamalesFooDeliteDined on 7/19/2014The Lobster and Green Chile Tamale special was outstanding. The price was a good value for two drinks and two meals. It's a nice view to watch the sunset too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- everything was excellentArizonaRoxDined on 7/4/2014We were here on the 4th of July. The view of the red rocks was awesome. The staff was very friendly, not overbearing. The food was outstanding. Everything from the bread to the wine was perfectly prepared and presented. The lamb and scallop entrees were dynamite and the new england clam chowder was the best in the west. I would recommend highly and will be visiting again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For older crowdAnne123VIPDined on 6/28/2014The location is convenient and views are fantastic. Service was super friendly. Food was good, but definitely overpriced (which is the case for the majority of the restaurants in Sedona). The crowed is old... All tables had old (70+) couples dining... Decor was also a bit dated and the deck was too hot at 7pm tonsil outside and there were no umbrellas or any shades....Special Features:
- Great service, food and atmosphere!FullbellyMcGillDined on 6/27/2014Excellent service, everyone was very accommodating. Chef Michael himself came out to check on us (nice guy). The salads and starters were excellent. Both the steak and fish we ordered were cooked to the perfect temperature. Very attentive wait staff.Special Features:
- Higher expectationsmoonandbackDined on 6/15/2014Wasn't welcomed upon arrival. When hostess walked up from back she simply said- do you have a reservation? We were sat outside. Daughter is 2yr old. No booster seat offered. Husband enjoyed his swordfish. But the buffalo chicken strips, which we asked to be extra crispy were very soggy. So much so that when I tried showing waitress by picking it up with a fork it flopped over and the breading slid completely off the chicken. Was very unappealing. I wasn't offered new ones. She simply said okay ill take them away. They were removed from bill, I left without eating dinner on fathers day with my husband and daughter. I had to track waitress down to pay. Then as I was signing bill and leaving tip she left me standing at register. Disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mich13mich13VIPDined on 6/10/2014spectacular view. book by 6 pm so can see. the sides were bland - the potatoes. and we didn't like the broccoli either- large pieces. lemon cake was very good for desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/9/2014We were definitely disappointed in the food. We both ordered fish and the meal was just 'okay'. We had seen ads promoting their great seafood dishes, but, we were not impressed at all. The food was marginal and the prices were too high for the quality of the meal.Special Features:
- SeafoodvacationfoodDined on 6/7/2014The best Clam Chowder & Swordfish I have had since leaving New England.Special Features:
- Fabulous birthday dinnerTravelGirlDined on 5/31/2014This is the place to go to in Sedona for a special dinner (IMHO)! Marvelous food, great service, and a willingness to go above and beyond to make our dining experience memorable. My husband and I came back to Sedona after a 13-year absence (we live on the East Coast), and decided to come here for my 60th birthday dinner. From the moment we walked in ("Wow- you're 60, really??" from the hostess), to the delicious fish entree and gratis "Happy Birthday" brownie with candle, we had a wonderful time. And I do have to mention the excellent live music as well (big band-cabaret singing and jazz sax by Errol on Saturday evenings)! Couldn't ask for better - wish this place was on the East Coast! We'll be back...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/23/2014My wife and I just spent our anniversary weekend in Sedona. For our 2 dinners I picked out Shugrues and Dahl & Di Lucca. I'd highly recommend the latter but was disappointed in Shugrues. Both meals cost us exactly the same ($147 including drink, desserts to go, tax and tip), but Dahl and Di Lucca is so much better. Our reservations were for 6:45 on a Friday night so I expected it to be crowded but it was not even half full, a bad sign. Despite mostly open tables and no line it took about 5 minutes to be seated. The service was good but the food was slow in coming and quite bland (I had the salmon in pastry net; it was perfectly cooked, but I just found it to be bland, tasteless. OK overall, great views, but not worth the price tag.Special Features:
- The bestHowellVIPDined on 5/22/2014Each time we come to Sedona we make reservations for Shugrues! And each time we are not disappointed! A five star in a small town! We will be back again and expect the best!Special Features:
- Great views, decent food.steakguy427VIPDined on 5/11/2014Made a reservation on a Sunday evening for dinner. Arrived a few minutes early and we're seated right away. Only a few tables were occupied. The views were amazing. Atmosphere was nice but was hoping for a bit more upscale. Food was good, nothing special but certainly not bad. Staff was friendly and service was quick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday LunchcupcakeDined on 5/11/2014Great Views, Great Service, Great Food, Great place to go eat while enjoying the scenic views of beautiful Sedona! We'll definitely be back next time we are in Sedona!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EhBnL12310Dined on 5/10/2014Nice view if you get one of the tables by the window, that's about it. Food is extremely overpriced for it's quality.
- Excellent , attentive staffJungleDoctorDined on 5/9/2014This restaurant went above and beyond to make my parents 50th wedding anniversary a tremendously special event. Excellent and attentive service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 250 reviews are from the Shugrues Hillside Grill reviews archive.
- Consistently ExcellentOrtleyGuyDined on 4/30/2014We have gone here at least once during every visit to Sedona over the past 10 years. While it is a little more expensive than most other places the food and service is consistently excellent - not spotty like others. And the view is one of the best and never changes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter dinnerJakalaDined on 4/20/2014My wife and I were visiting Sedona from another state . When home on holidays, we always eat with our family, so it was important to us to select a restaurant that would fill the void. We were very pleased with the entire experience at Shugrues. The filet mignon was excellent and the Easter special lamb shank was as good as I have ever enjoyed in a restaurant. Our waitress was friendly and attentive. The red rock view speaks for itself.Special Features:
- Service was very slowSlowDined on 4/20/2014It might have been because of Easter , we have had great service at this restaurant in the past, but everything was slow from getting menus to drinks to food: it was still good though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food with a viewLadokguyDined on 4/19/2014High quality food, excellent service and stunning views of the surrounding red rock formations, can't ask for much more.Special Features:
- Food and service sub-parOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/18/2014The Ahi - their 'specialty' was overcooked - instead of seared, it was medium rare. Server never came around to check on us, panko shrimp was overbreaded. Nothing good about this restaurant
- Lunch after a hikeNordy40Dined on 4/18/2014The view of the red rock was amazing, but the resturant decor was dated. We had a party of 6 and everyone thought the food was good. I had the Black and Blue Burger and it was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/17/2014I understand that most people come for the views. However, the food really doesn't come close to justifying the experience. My shrimp coctail was warm and my fish was cold. For a place that claims it has the best seafood in Sedona, it missed the mark by a mile. My husband's filet was also over cooked. The view was better than the view of most other restaurants in the area. However, we will not be returning.Special Features:
- anniversary date.AngiBDined on 4/12/2014Service was slow. You are packed in like sardines. Was given food special before our drink order! Then still did not take our drink order. Reservation was at 6:45 did not get out until 9:45! Look like they were short staff. Food was good!Special Features:
- Decent, but not greatRyano505Dined on 4/11/2014As soon as we sat down the couple seated next to us was having trouble simply trying to get the correct check. Had to return two drinks to the bar which were made very poorly! The food was good but not the best overall experience. I would suggest this for an outdoor patio lunch if the weather is rite. Great views!Special Features:
- Very slow service as theyJohnVIPDined on 3/30/2014Very slow service as they are always understaffed. Great view of Sedona, but no big deal on the food.Special Features:
- Unpleased GuestUnpleasedDined on 3/29/2014Anniversary dinner, which restaurant knew about.... we received beyond POOR service all night...very, very slow...seemed as if there was only one waiter. Our courses were so far apart and when I finally got my filet, it wasn't cooked right so I had to send it back...my husband was almost finished with his entree by the time my meal was returned AND they forgot my lobster tail so that came later as well. For the costly dinner prices, the food was only decent. If that wasn't bad enough, the waiter came to apologize with a complimentary dessert and the plate read "Happy Birthday"...it was not my birthday it was our Anniversary! A little positive, the view is beautiful and I would recommend only for lunch, maybe.Special Features:
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2014So glad my friend recommended this restaurant--we will keep coming back again and again. Tucked away in the hillside, the red rock views were breathtaking and the food was very good. Friendly efficient staff and small diverse menu--delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Linda's ObservationLindaDined on 3/27/2014The menu and wine list were quite extensive, and the food and service were excellent. The gorgeous view and beautiful sunset topped off an exceptional evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.