Shuga Jazz Bistro
317 Main Ave S
Renton, WA 98057Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Shuga Jazz Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.shugajazzbistro.com/
- Phone: (425) 274-3074
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Su-Th 5:00pm-10:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 5:00pm-11:00pm
Happy Hour Every Day 4:00pm-6:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 11am - 3pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern, Soul food
- Executive Chef: Wayne Johnson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Jazz
A word from Shuga Jazz Bistro
Shuga Jazz Bistro is the hot spot for jazz in the Seattle region. Shuga is serving upscale and classic southern cuisine by Iron Chef Wayne Johnson.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Shuga Jazz Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (19)special occasion (15)good for groups (14)romantic (11)late-night find (10)fit for foodies (9)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (7)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Nice Place!JustMeDined on 11/10/2014This is a nice restaurant/jazz club. The food was delicious, I wanted more. I went during the week, was surprised not many people were in the restaurant. I hope more people start patronizing this spot during the week. It's ideal for evening business meetings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationPumpkinDined on 11/5/2014Excellent service and the food was sensational...loved the ambiance of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jazz in the South Sound!LLJ0821Dined on 11/2/2014Finally, a great jazz location south of the city. This location has only been open for a few months and I hope it is discovered quickly so that it will thrive!Special Features:
- FOODOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014The fisherman's platter & calamari wasn't good at all. I dine there with my husband on a Saturday. It took awhile for us to be seated and we had reservations. I guess there was a live performance and the place was busy, but there was not that many people eating dinner. We had to wait awhile for our waitress and the food. This place would be better for drinks and entertainment onlySpecial Features:
- Enjoyed ShugabbrelaxedDined on 10/19/2014We had a nice date night at Shuga. Went for cocktails during happy hour and also had an appetizer--deviled eggs--yum! For dinner Blackened salmon was excellent. Fried chicken was also good but mashed potatoes a little thick. Will go back when a band is playing.Special Features:
- Jazz Bistro in RentonCrutchmanDined on 10/11/2014We're always on the lookout for new jazz places that we've not been to. Shuga's Jazz Bistro definitely fit the bill. We went there to see Greta Matassa and were definitely and pleasantly surprised. Shuga's is smaller in size but it's huge on great food, drink, ambiance and entertainment. The staff was outstanding! They were very friendly and went the extra mile to make sure that our evening there went just perfectly! I highly recommend Shuga's Jazz Bistro to anyone looking for a great evening filled with great food, drink and great entertainment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food, Developing ConceptPeasOnMossDined on 10/5/2014Chef Wayne Johnson has opened a jazz bistro in a well-known old jazz restaurant and is breathing life into the Renton downtown. On weekends, you'll find the restaurant filled with foodies and jazz music fans. The southern-inspired menu's stand-outs include fried chicken (it's gluten free!) and perfectly prepared grits, and on Sundays, a generous brunch buffet. You'll also find an assortment of shareable appetizers and treats. Portions are large, and you should definitely come hungry. The restaurant is slowly gaining popularity, and by Christmas, you won't be able to book a special event, so book sooner than later. Come for the music, but return again just for the food.Special Features:
- Gem in RentonKahunaDined on 9/29/2014We had a great time at Shuga. The food was outstanding and our server was very attentive. We hope to return soon for Sunday brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sunday Brunch !MarkMarkDined on 9/28/2014We had a great Sunday brunch ! Plenty of delicious food items to choose from, tasty mimosa, attentive service, warm atmosphere. We will be back.Special Features:
- Gets Better Every Time!ChesterfieldVIPDined on 9/27/2014Our group of 6 spent a wonderful evening at Shuga on Saturday Sept. 27th. The food and service (thank you, Jamie) were both outstanding and the music of Darren Matamedy was wonderful. So pleased to report that Shuga gets better every time we go.Special Features:
- Enjoyed it!!!adidasgal16Dined on 9/18/2014Food was good. Server was pleasant & answered questions we had. The entree took a bit to come out but we didn't complain as I did order Lula Mae's Fried Chicken. Server came to the table to tell us there was a "miscommunication" with the entree order to the kitchen so she gave a us free desert. We didn't ask where our food was or anything, it was proactively given to us (a plus in our book). I loves creole/southern/soul food cuisine as it's half my blood & really wanted to try Shuga out & glad I did. A bit pricey so maybe go for special occasions? They are trying to start up a Sunday brunch and are still trying to work out the kinks. I hope to try the brunch soon.Special Features:
- SHUGA JAZZ BISTROloveisfineDined on 9/7/2014So happy to see Mr. McGowan back in full swing! Enjoyed Brandon Willis and musicians immensely. Let's do it again soon!Special Features:
- Will return in a few months2full4uDined on 9/2/2014On third visit, portions were way smaller than previous two visits. The sides were so small (just a spoonful of greens) for two of my dining companions, and the fried chicken wasn't cooked through. No wait staff, management was on duty and it took 20 minutes for our check, enough for one person in our group to order takeout and pickup her food from one of her favorite spots one block over. The food is good, a little overpriced for the portions, well, if the portions were consistent I could overlook the inconsistent service if food is great. Just think they need time to get their legs under them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Great ambiance; great food; GREAT entertainment. I would recommend this restaurant to others without hesitation.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014I realize it is fairly new, however they need more waiters.Special Features:
- Dinner and jazzFancybeeVIPDined on 8/30/2014Great locale for dinner and jazz. Glad the restaurant is open again. Food was good. Jazz was wonderful. Saw a lot of friends in the place.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014Chef Wayne brings lots of experience to opening his own place. We think the food is great, creative ideas for music are awesome and the staff is wonderful. We are coming back!Special Features:
- Getting better all the time!ChesterfieldVIPDined on 8/4/2014All new restaurants have issues when starting up. Clearly, Shuga is working through them quickly. In the restaurant's 5th week, our group of six had great food and very good service. We especially enjoyed Lula Mae's fried chicken, the bacon wrapped shrimp and catfish. Don't wait too long to try Shuga Jazz Bistro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shuga Jazz Bistro -incredible find!ZathrasOneDined on 8/2/2014The experience at Shuga Jazz Bistro was absolutely fabulous. The food was superb, the music and entertainment amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 4 reviews are from the Shuga Jazz Bistro reviews archive.
- Great gluten-free soul foodJLFergVIPDined on 7/25/2014This restaurant has the best wheat-free fried chicken and it is non-greasy and the portions are sizable (but they don't fill you up on starches; this place likes its animal protein). Great fresh tasting cocktails. Friendly, prompt service. We love coming here.Special Features:
- Going to be greatStephenDined on 7/18/2014This place is going to be a great restaurant. The food quality and service friendliness were excellent. Would like to see somewhat larger portions for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great placemacattackDined on 7/18/2014Nice comfortable jazz settings. Great place for an older crowd. I would definitely return againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gimme some ShugaFoodwriter1Dined on 6/30/2014Great find in Renton. Something for everyone. Families, couples, girls out on the town. Very comfortable. Live jazz and with the layout you can enjoy your meal with a musical background. Have the fried chicken! We went opening night. Food is wonderful, service was a bit hesitant. Sure they will get over the jitters.Special Features: