SHU - Sushi House Unico
2932 1/2 Beverly Glen Circle
Bel Air, CA 90077Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $31 to $50
SHU - Sushi House Unico
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.shusushi.com/
- Phone: 3104742740
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: Monday-Friday: 12:00pm to 3:00pm Saturday-Sunday: CLOSED for lunch. DINNER: Sunday-Thursday: 5:00pm to 10:00pm Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm to 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Fusion / Eclectic, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Giacomino Drago & Kenny Yamada
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our upstairs private party room can seat up to 12 people.
- Private Party Contact: Jean 3104742740
A word from SHU - Sushi House Unico
Nestled in the canyons of Bel Air, SHU is a dining experience like no other - a fusion of Japanese, Italian and Latin flavors and influences. The menu features traditional dishes as well as signature offerings, inspired by Giacomino Drago’s love of blending Japanese, Italian and Latin cuisines. SHU’s environment is well-suited to singles, couples and families. The bar seats up to ten people and there is a special booth that seats six people. Private dinning room is available to accommodate up to 12 guests. Signature dishes included halibut carpaccio with sun-dried tomato, Kobe Beef sashimi and albacore sashimi with shaved truffles.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerSushi
SHU - Sushi House Unico - Best Restaurants in Bel-Air ›
SHU - Sushi House Unico reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (21)fit for foodies (14)great for lunch (8)good for groups (6)hot spot (5)special occasion (5)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (1)great for brunch (1)romantic (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Outstanding!!!DAS1964VIPDined on 9/19/2014Love SHU...they never disappoint me!!! The Best Albacore sushi in Los Angeles!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the chefs daily choicesKendraDined on 8/19/2014My first visit to this restaurant and I was very impressed with my experience. Server was outstanding and the food was excellent! I'm looking forward to bringing my clients and friends to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShuDanielVIPDined on 8/2/2014this is a regular place for me and the family. excellent food and service like you're part of the family. Excellent!!!!! Try the Kobe tacos, amazingSpecial Features:
- cocoDined on 7/29/2014they strive to make your evening special! food is delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is Divine!!!!KG818Dined on 7/7/2014This is by far my favorite Japanese Fusion restaurant. I have never had a bad meal and the service is always impeccable. You will not be disappointed!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PSILoveFoodVIPDined on 7/5/2014One of my all time favorite neighborhood spots in Bel Air by the Drago family (which owns several amazing restaurants in Beverly Hills).Special Features:
- Oakland friends in townSandyjkVIPDined on 7/1/2014Delicious Japanese dishes, many with a twist. Love the tacos//! Desserts are delicious and different as well.Special Features:
- The following 116 reviews are from the SHU - Sushi House Unico reviews archive.
- Excellent Choice for AnniversaryDevonDined on 5/18/2014The Premium Course meal was delicious. The special rolls weren't overly expensive, surprisingly.Special Features:
- best sushi in L ADockaracaVIPDined on 4/27/2014the sushi is so fresh and ethereal.. I will always go back. Grazie, Giacomino!Special Features:
- Great sushi, LOTS of kids.MarianaVIPDined on 4/6/2014Went there for dinner on Sunday around 6:00 p.m. and it seemed 90% of the tables had 2-3 kids under 10 so noise level was a little high. Sushi was wonderful; very flavourful and tasted fresh. I'd recommend making reservations as the place was very busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of the waydonohuemaDined on 3/23/2014Tucked into a corner of a strip mall at Beverly Glen is this little gem of a restaurant. I had calamari and fish soup. My friend had a salad. Both were quite wonderful with a great depth of flavor. The place is rather expensive but the quality of the food is well worth it. I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real treat. Innovative combinatioyangckDined on 2/5/2014A real treat. Innovative combinations. Definitely recommend the omakase. Smoked/barely grilled red-snapper that brings a waft of smokiness with every bite. Unbelievable needle fish + uni with a sprig of shiso leaf. Big thumbs up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi!CuisineCowboyVIPDined on 1/30/2014This place has truly high quality sushi. You wouldn't expect it in a mini-mall at the top of Beverly Glen, but there it is.Special Features:
- Amazing fish, great serviceboyonfilmVIPDined on 1/27/2014Our waitress helped us select unbelievable sashimi and other dishes. Fresh tasty sushi, some of the best I've had in LA.Special Features:
- Shu-tasticdboyluckyVIPDined on 1/25/2014Always love the SHU!!!! Glad we have this place... Nice to have something away from the crowds.. Food always good, great service... Def. worth your visit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always the freshestloml95VIPDined on 1/22/2014best sushi in town in the most comfortable settingSpecial Features:
- Sushi to make you happy!KG818Dined on 1/17/2014Hands-down one of the best sushi restaurants out there! Ambiance is lovely, but the food and service are impeccable. Never a miss in my book and I've tried many. You will not be disappointed!!Special Features:
- Really good sushi.CuisineCowboyVIPDined on 1/9/2014We asked for omakase (let the chef decide) and it was delicious. Amazing fish and inventive presentation.Special Features:
- Good food but not date ambienceKitkatVIPDined on 1/2/2014Service: the good: Although I changed my reservation to an earlier time and they were accommodating. I specified that it was a special occasion and that it was my date's birthday. Service: the bad: There was a lot of room in the restaurant, however we seated IN BETWEEN two couples plus within earshot of a family with two little kids who were not very happy. Not very good for ambience. The kicker was that there were a ton of seats available all around the restaurant. If I had kids then I would bring them here but not on a date. It left a lot to be desired and no one mentioned the birthday thing. Food was good: the miso blacked cod was excellent, stuffed zucchini blossoms were good, but nothing too memorable or mind blowing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and serviceMikeDVIPDined on 12/31/2013We liked this place. We were in LA for the Rose Bowl and went here on New Years Eve for dinner (not a party). Food choices were excellent. Sushi was good and fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- never disappoints...exexdir1VIPDined on 11/30/2013the food is always wonderful. Never disapoints. Fish is so fresh that it almost jumps off of your plate.Special Features:
- Outstanding sushiMonaVIPDined on 11/27/2013We are regulars at this restaurant - the food always tastes fresh, is beautifully prepared, and the service is excellent. Our most recent evening was a bit marred by a very noisy baby at the next table, but the baby can't help it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushi in townDockaracaVIPDined on 11/20/2013Shu always has the freshest and most unusual sashimi and sushi. Giacomino lets them do what they r good at.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just good!FeebosDined on 11/19/2013It's a great sushi bar! A personal favorite... The tempura spicy tuna stuffed jalapeño. It used to be on their specials, but now I just ask for it and they always make it. They're the best!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love all the Drago familyPSILoveFoodVIPDined on 10/21/2013I love all the Drago family establishments for their great Italian restaurants, but they also own this great Japanese restaurant, too. Such a great intimate neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!AdayDined on 10/19/2013We haven't been here in a while (even though it is one of our favorites), but it was my husband's birthday. Not only was it great to see the staff that recognized our reservation by name, but they were absolutely amazing! The food was delicious, the service was fast, and even though we did not order dessert, they treated us to fresh fruit and mochi and even sang Happy Birthday to my husband. It was a fantastic evening! Thank you, SHU!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem of a findOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/6/2013the Black Cod was the best ever. can't wait to go back and try something else. the place is a bit small, so people were kind of close to each other. besides that, this was a great find.Special Features:
- Best Sushi Meal in a Long Time!Scottyg310VIPDined on 8/29/2013fantastic sushi, sashimi and hot dishes. Exquisetly prepared and incredibly fresh. This is my 6th or so time here and by far the best experience yet!Special Features:
- Great sushi place!Boricuas85Dined on 8/23/2013A great little neighborhood sushi place. Food and service is terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Freshest sushi in LA!MonaVIPDined on 8/17/2013We love this place and go regularly. The sushi is always fresh and beautifully presented. There is never that cloying, mayonnaise-heavy taste that makes you think the chef is trying to cover up something. We had a fantastic dessert - a change for us - a delicious combination of banana, chocolate and creamy green tea icecream - the banana in crispy little rolls. Scrumptious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best japanese restaurants in L ADockaracaVIPDined on 8/9/2013Shu never disappoints, with the freshest fish and unusual and unexpected surprises.Special Features:
- Local Sushi that is literally hardFrenchifiedDined on 7/29/2013great place if you can find it. Tucked away but very goodSpecial Features:
- This is one of the best neighborhooPSILoveFoodVIPDined on 7/27/2013This is one of the best neighborhood gems in the Bel Air area. It is not a very authentic, but an interesting modern fusion Japanese. Our server was very wonderful! Great evening. Thank you!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was expecting better food,KarenDined on 7/14/2013I was expecting better food, service overall , to support the high prices ... there are much better sushi restaurants in town ... all over the West side area and the Valley side (for that matter) ... and the there is Sawtell Avenue aka Little Osaka ... The service and food does not justify the prices charged ... not my first choice for sushi ... it just happened to be convenient to meet my (Valley side) friend ... I was coming from the Westside ...Sushi rolls much too big - didn't look attractive ... prices are a bit inflated ... no extras as a starter that you usually expect from a sushi bar ... Waitresses with no real personality ... we left a very generous tip (as we usually do) despite all of the aboveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always great food and greatloml95VIPDined on 7/11/2013always great food and great service. plus a couple of star sightingsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/21/2013Decent variety. Excellent service. Good sushi. Recommend.Special Features:
- SHU is very good.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/17/2013We love it. The service is great. The sushi is fresh and wonderful. It's expensive but worth it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfy Drago sushiPoliEconDined on 6/15/2013Nice room and friendly service. Comfortable but not great sushi and other Japanese w/Drago's Italian twist. Nice for an easy evening but don't expect to wow your sushi-snob friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, fresh sushiMonaVIPDined on 6/8/2013This is a sushi place that gives you a real "right from the ocean" feel - the sushi is always seasoned perfectly, there are unique combinations of flavors, and there is never that excessive-mayonnaise or too sticky feel you can find at other sushi places. Other sushi places always seem to have old fish compared to Sushi House Unico. The staff is friendly, and observant. I find the wall one looks at while seated at the sushi counter rather boring (years ago it was decorated in a more inviting way) but I really have no criticisms of this place. It's not cheap, but it's well worth it.Special Features:
- Great food, a bit noisey andpixieDined on 5/24/2013Great food, a bit noisey and difficult to get waiters attention. Food presentation magnificient. A bit pricey but good occasionally for a treat.I would recommend this to a friend.