5239 Duke Street
Alexandria, VA 22304Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://shootermcgees.com/
- Phone: 7037519266
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00am, Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Shooter McGee's
Shooter McGee's has been a neighborhood restaurant and tavern for over 30 years. The restaurant boasts a "CHEERS" like atmosphere as the staff routinely greets local residents as they stroll through the familiar doors.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Shooter McGee's reviews from OpenTable diners
- Delicious foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/2/2014My group (4 diners) met at Shooter's on Friday. I wanted the lobster special but that was sold-out, so I ordered the prime rib, which I've ordered before. The prime rib remains outstanding! We also enjoyed the nachos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avoid outdoor seating unless smokerlahbDined on 4/12/2014We're fans, and it's a favorite when we want a quick burger & fries and a good brew. Good prices. On our last visit we decided to sit outside for the first time but won't sit there again. There is street noise and the smoking area is literally right there. Inside is nice - updated not long ago. We'll be back - but will sit inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Go to" neighborhood restaurantPSUDanoVIPDined on 4/5/2014Our Sunday got away from us; now what to do for dinner? We were going to grill up burgers, but no one went to the store. Never fear, Shooters is here! Consistently very good service, excellent wings and burgers, and respectable wine and draft beer selection. Did I also mention appealing daily specials and 1/2 price wine on Sundays? What's not to like? The only thing for me is the tightly packed tables in the center section of the restaurant. Pull out one four-topper from each side and allow us more room, please!Special Features:
- great ribs!judyVIPDined on 3/20/2014the ribs are the special on Thursday nights. They are amazing, just fall off the bone, not overly fatty, and seasoned wonderfully! The mac and cheese is a wonderful side dish also!
- Casual place with great food!VAdinerVIPDined on 3/15/2014Were a little skeptical as we walked in for our first time this weekend, but the food and service were great. It's a great casual spot for hearty portions of good American food. Chili nachos were super. Jambalaya is good too. Hand-cut fries are great!!Special Features:
- Last night was my first timeangieDined on 3/6/2014Last night was my first time (3/6/14) and won't be my last.Special Features:
- Great Local StopjudyVIPDined on 3/2/2014the Burgers and sweet potato fries are great! I love the salads and the ribs are the best around. They have daily specials that are always a treat!Special Features:
- My family and I saw the advertisemeOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/14/2014My family and I saw the advertisement for the Valentine dinner special two weeks ago and the flyer never stated that it started at 5:30pm. So my reservation was at 4:45pm and we had to wait because the kitchen wasn't ready for early reservations. They had plenty of people in staff to get the meal and restaurant ready before customers arrived for the Valentine rush. They also had a computer system to view the time of arrivals, therefore there was no excuse for their lack of preparation.Special Features:
- Shooter McGee's in Alexandria, VALowNoteDined on 2/13/2014Shooter McGee's is a neighborhood gem which has been around for many years. The food is what I would describe as "really good down home". Not fancy, but well prepared and tasty. Prices are very fair, and portions are hearty. If you are looking for a nice cozy place to have lunch or dinner, you can't go wrong with Shooter McGee's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfort Food, Great Beersgeekguy1VIPDined on 2/6/2014Except for how good the food is, this could almost pass for a neighborhood bar, one with a superior selection of beers. The food is definitely better than bar food, though, both in quality and preparation. And then they do even better with daily specials that make this a really great place to eat and drink.Special Features:
- Outstanding Service! ThankShelliVIPDined on 1/17/2014Outstanding Service! Thank you, Taylor! Food and ambiance were great. Casual, fun atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great place, go often. Unfortunatelnola2vaDined on 12/31/2013Great place, go often. Unfortunately they were outof LOTS of things. Frustrating.Special Features:
- Great NYE Dining ExperienceJohnnyKDined on 12/31/2013The food was excellent! Compliments to the chef and/or the person who organized the prefixed NYE menu, they did an outstanding job. We did ask for dinner rolls to go with the brie and never received them but everything from appetizer to desert was perfect. Was not overpriced like almost all restaurants do on NYE either, great value for the quality of the dinner we received. Will definitely go back in the near future.Special Features:
- Prime rib was good; mine wasOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/20/2013Prime rib was good; mine was a bit ovedone. I like mine medium, but it was more well than medium.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spotGordonGekkoVIPDined on 9/12/2013One of my favorite neighborhood spots to visit with great burgers and changing evening specialsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Patrick is a good bartender,LocalDined on 8/14/2013Patrick is a good bartender, he works lunches, and he's very friendly. I started coming more often to lunches.I would recommend this to a friend.
- This bar/restaurant is fewLocalDined on 8/13/2013This bar/restaurant is few steps from my home. As consequence I stop by often. I was taking care of by Kyle, a very nice server, always with a smile, he cares about customers even before he became a server. Before he was a host. Patrick, a bartender usually, also stopped by and took my orders. The food is ok, their fries is the worst I ever had, and always got them cold. I since then substitute for a different side. They had live music, I wasn't pay attention that day, but the young man singing appeared to be very friendly to the bar crowd and communicates well with them.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local bar with good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/11/2013Found this place online when I was looking for an easy place for dinner. We stopped in and loved our experience! It was wing night so we enjoyed the 50 cent wings which were great! I'm more of a buffalo sauce wing type person which they didnt offer but the flavors weren't bad. Our good was good and so was out service. I would recommend this place for a low key meal and sports. I will definitely be going back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shooters--in TransitionPSUDanoVIPDined on 6/8/2013It appears the owners of Shooter's are looking to take some of the good points of their other restaurants and fold them into Shooters. Not a bad thing--the restaurant has seemed somewhat dark and dated and its menu/specials lacked any theme. That being said, when a restaurant goes through transition, the road can get bumpy. This time the bumps were ok and the manager took care of the service bump (whoops, no one came to wait on us). The food was good, but not anything special, but there is the indication that they are going in the right direction. We'll report again in a month or so.Special Features:
- We went for Mother's Day brunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/12/2013We went for Mother's Day brunch. The only disappointment is that they were serving a special limited menu due to the volume which we did not expect since their normal menu is not overly large. Food was delicious though. I had a great gulf shrimp omelet and the eggs benedict my mother had were very good.Special Features:
- Fun and energetic environmentOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/25/2013Fun night with good food and good service. VERY loud but it adds to the flavoring of the experience.
- Food was excellent as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/17/2013Food was excellent as always but our waiter had a really bad attitude almost like he was mad he had to work St. Patty's Day. Very short with us .Special Features:
- Great pub!diakDined on 3/8/2013Its a pub type place but with really good food. Best bar food I have had in the area. Their burgers are really good, as are the nachos. Have been there 3 times in two weeks ... new favorite close to home spot.Special Features:
- The food was excellent andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/21/2013The food was excellent and the service was outstanding.
- Great neighborhood gatheringsamdeeVIPDined on 2/2/2013Great neighborhood gathering hole with good food and nightly specials. We are never disappointed by our food at Shooter's. It is not the lowest in calories, but is very homey and tastes great. We are repeat customers who dine here because of Shooter's consistency.Special Features:
- Review from a Long-time CustomerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/2/2013I have enjoyed Shooter McGees for many years and particularly the neighborhood feel. The food is always good; the rustic setting is relaxed and friendly. The service is very good.Special Features:
- The staff were great. WeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/31/2013The staff were great. We were a rowdy group and they accommodated special requests (we wanted an appetizer from the bar happy hour menu that wasn't on dining room menu and they provided it at an extra $1 charge). Most of us got the rib special which was a great deal. No problems then entire time.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gemNomNowNowDined on 12/22/2012Where Shooter McGee's was nothing to shout from the rooftops, I think my husband and I found our new neighborhood bar! It's tucked away in a awful parking lot but so is most of the D.C. area restaurants, but a least it has one!! I had a NY Strip (mr) and it came out mw, but the veggies and loaded mashed potatoes were delicious. My husband had there ribs, and WHOLE yummy Batman!!! He also got the fries (eh) and the mac-n-chz (not bad). It's a tiny place, and you can see the t.v.'s from most seating in the bar, which is greater if, like me, your husband is addicted to his fantasy leagues. They have a large, covered patio, with a t.v. and we look forward to going back during baseball season(a warmer season) and eating some ribs outsideSpecial Features:
- Sunday lunch only; waitstaffOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/25/2012Sunday lunch only; waitstaff was great, cook got order wrong twice though, and was hassled by wait staff to finish it.Special Features:
- Comfortable, casual restaurantShelliVIPDined on 11/24/2012Comfortable, casual restaurant with friendly service.Special Features:
- Always a good choice for aShelliVIPDined on 11/3/2012Always a good choice for a casual lunch or dinner. Comfortable, neighborhood restaurant.
- Great local spotLisaSilvDined on 11/2/2012This is a great find if you want a non-chain restaurant, not on King Street in Alexandria. It's close to 395 off Duke Street and is easy to get to. The ribs are fall-off-the-bone delicious, the steaks are cooked perfectly to order and the service is good. It's not a huge place so seating can be tight and after about 9pm, the noise at the bar got significantly louder. I wouldn't recommend going here if you have vegetarians as the veggie options are limited but for meat and potato eaters who want a great choice of beers with their meal, this is a great place to go.Special Features:
- This restauratn is an absoluteOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/2/2012This restauratn is an absolute neighborhood gem. My husband and I used to dine at Shooter McGees over 20 years ago when we lived nearby. We have since moved but were in the area and delighted to have the opportunity to dine there again! The burgers are AMAZING and the service was spot on. Wish we had a SHooter McGees in our neighborhood!Special Features:
- Food was great..OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2012We come here alot and usually the service is wonderful but this night the waitress had an attitude and acted like she was doing us a favor by waiting on us. The food is great and we love coming on rib night. We will definitely be back but will try to steer clear of that server! The patio is great during this time of year!Special Features:
- Great local neighborhood eatery!gabfestDined on 8/22/2012We went for Lobster night. What a great deal! Each night is a different special. The food here is always consistant, fresh and fairly well priced. Service is always friendly. I like to meet friends here but don't mind dining alone either. Only disappointment was Blueberry pie which came highly recommended. It was more gelatin than fresh blueberries and tangy like it should be. Have had better in Maine.Special Features:
- Always have a good time there.GregVIPDined on 7/17/2012Always have a good time there. And if you can get Kristen as your server even betterSpecial Features:
- Great for outdoor dining soOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/1/2012Great for outdoor dining so long as it's not a hot summer day! :-)Special Features:
- Shooter McGee's is a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/27/2012Shooter McGee's is a great place for both couples and groups. Priced right and the food and service are just wonderful.Special Features:
- Our server was excellent.ShelliVIPDined on 5/26/2012Our server was excellent. We have been going to Shooter McGee's for many, many years, and we always get great service. The place was buzzing, of course. Casual, fun, friendly saloon with excellent service and great food. Outdoor patio is very nice.Special Features:
- What a pleasant surprise forOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/13/2012What a pleasant surprise for our office group lunch. Excellent service, nice menu selection, and outstanding dessert offerings.Special Features: