510 E Belvedere Ave
Baltimore, MD 21212Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://shooflydiner.com/
- Phone: 4104649222x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm-1:00am
Breakfast: Saturday- Sunday: 9:00am-3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: David Speegle
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact our private events coordinator, Jolanta Kunkulis.
- Private Party Contact: Jolanta Kunkulis 4104648000
A word from Shoo-fly
Shoo-fly, from the team behind Woodberry Kitchen, continues the relationships with the growers of the Chesapeake region to provide a family atmosphere and menu in the iconic Hess Shoes store in Belvedere Square. Our seasonal menu changes nightly to highlight fresh ingredients from our area growers, including fried green tomatoes, the Shoo-fly burger, and roasted eggplant. Make a reservation for one of our booths or a table upstairs, or join us at our bar or diner counter downstairs! Kids are welcome to play in the playroom and decorate their own chefs' hats at the table. We have recently opened the patio in front of the restaurant, with tables available for reservations and walk-ins, as well as two large party tables for special celebrations!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Shoo-fly - Best Restaurants in Belvedere Square ›
Shoo-fly reviews from OpenTable diners
131 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (70)fit for foodies (66)kid-friendly (46)great for brunch (39)great for outdoor dining (36)late-night find (33)good for groups (31)great for lunch (23)hot spot (17)special occasion (16)vibrant bar scene (11)romantic (4)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Good dinneryumyum2Dined on 10/25/2014Even though one member of our party had a list of things she couldn't eat, our waitress handled the order perfectly. She recommended the pasta dish which was a big hit. The rest of us were very please with our selections. I had the blackened catfish which was very good. We had the cheese dip and chips for an appetizer and were a bit disappointed in that. The dip didn't have much flavor and definitely needed a little more zip. Again our waitress was great, bringing us more chips without our even asking.Special Features:
- DeliciousmindyDined on 10/18/2014Loved the eclectic but approachable menu. Good place for foodies with stepdads that only eat burgers. Drinks were yummy and were priced to make decision between wine and fancy cocktail easy (pretty much the same!). Start with Disco Fries for the table. ACES!Special Features:
- DisappointingFoodie1Dined on 10/9/2014Been to the restaurant several times. Want to like it. The food choices are limited and seem prepared as a lower quality diner. Ordered the meat loaf which I liked last time I was there. However, this time, the meat loaf was smaller than before and dry and too salty. Mashed potatoes good and fresh fall veggies very good. Service excellent.Special Features:
- DisappointingShooflyDined on 10/5/2014I want to love this place, but it has gotten worse each time I have gone. The mac and cheese was delicious, though really greasy. The first time I went for breakfast was okay, too. This final time I went back, the menu was much smaller. You can't even order eggs any style. It took me forever to decide what I wanted because I was really hoping for something with eggs over easy, but they won't make them. I also ordered a salad off the menu, which when delivered was completely different from the description. Instead of owning the mistake, they told me the salad I wanted was not on the menu. Clearly, I wouldn't have been able to order it if I didn't read it right off the menu! Very disappointing, esp from a Woodberry restaurant.Special Features:
- I was excited, but it was just okayyummyinmytummyDined on 10/4/2014Appetizers were best part - warm, tasty cornbread came w/maple butter melting on top, corn fritters were light, fluffy clouds of yummy. My friend got the burger - good, but nothing special. I was excited for the roasted eggplant listed on the website, but it had been replaced w/roasted acorn squash. I had high hopes, but was very disappointed. Listed as an entree, but the portion wasn't that size. It was really a salad w/2 slices (about 3/4" think, 5" outer, 4" empty hole in middle), one side charred. LOTS of microgreens, heirloom tomatoes were 3-4 halved grape tomatoes, w/3 tbsp of yogurt cheese smeared on the plate. Should have had a couple appetizers as an entree. Buttermilk pie was good, but crust edges were a little well done.
- OkayKatieVIPDined on 9/30/2014Food is great, but unfortunately not very consistent. Very small menu. Service was fantastic.Special Features:
- Good food but very little selectionOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/28/2014I enjoyed brunch here, but there was very little selection for a brunch menu. I was looking for more egg dishes but there was only one in the whole menu. Ended up ordering a bunch of sides. I was disappointed with the hash brown appetizer which was very oily and not very well seasoned, and the $4 orange juice.Special Features:
- SlowZaphodDined on 9/27/2014We had to stop dinner without dessert after two hours. We arrived five minutes early for our reservation but we were still seated twenty minutes late (despite seeing several open tables). We waited another half hour for our dishes to be cleared. The food was fine, but barely worth the expense. It was definitely not worth the wait.
- Shoo-flyWouldburyDined on 9/27/2014We enjoyed this meal more than the one we had at Woodbury Kitchen. Noise level is boisterous, like Woodbury, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpectedly new old favoritesCatherineDined on 9/26/2014Comfort food in the hands of a great chef. Tasty, interesting and very, very comforting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/25/2014This was my 4th time there. The first when they were newly opened food was not good. Second and third food much more acceptable but not fabulous. This last time was my recommendation to 2 other friends. Service was terrific, noise level unnecessarily loud but food only acceptable, not at all quality burger plates, meatloaf was good, but when the check came a shocker. One of my party ordered a manhattan and the check reflected that the charge for that one drink was listed as $8.50 plus $4 ($12,50 total). First he should have been told in advance, it's his regular drink all over Baltimore and never that expensive or charged the way this bill reflected. So no I will never return again.
- <3LilyhillVIPDined on 9/24/2014Love the food. Love the drinks. Price is right. Sold! We like everything on the menu...corn fritters are great, milkshakes are fab. Sandwiches are also delish. When we left, my husband said, 'I love that place. I want to go there at least every couple of weeks.' Sounds about right to me.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great!SharonDined on 9/20/2014I had read some negative reviews of this restaurant, but did not find any of them to be true. The food was outstanding, and even more outstanding was the service. Eric was our waiter and I have never had such a knowledgeable server who was ALSO super friendly. Appetizers were great to share (we had a party of 6), everyone liked their entrees and the peanut butter cookies were awesome for dessert. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Dinner at shooflyeatinoutsmygameDined on 9/20/2014We had great service. They really went out of their way to make sure we were happy. The selection of food was limited. They suggested the cornbread to share and it was small enough for 1. Everyone was pleased with the food we ordered.Don't know if we would go back for dinner but maybe lunch. The sandwiches looked good.Special Features:
- Delicious Farm to TableQtie1028Dined on 9/20/2014I love the menu at Shoo-Fly. It changes a bit every time I go there. The heirloom tomatoes were the best I tasted all year. The entrees are outrageously overpriced but worth the splurge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Improving over timeChrisDined on 9/13/2014This locally sourced take on Southern crossed with Pennsylvania-Dutch comfort food has been steadily improving over time. The menu choices had been somewhat unusual or poorly described in the past but this time choices appealed to everyone in our group. Excellent tomato gazpacho, tea sandwiches, sautéed pork chops, and meatloaf with mashed potatoes were all really enjoyable. Appetizers included corn fritters and fried okra that disappeared as soon as the plates were set down. Dessert was a simple vanilla bundt cake with home-made whipped cream and sliced peaches, simple and delicious. If you were confused by the menu before, I'd give it another try. We have had each recent meal better than the last.Special Features:
- Very good experiencequeenieDined on 9/12/2014We had a great time. The place was spacious & comfortable. The food was just the ticket after a long week. Great corn fritters, burger & fries, homemade sausages. Accomodating staff was a plus. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was okayJaymoLoboDined on 9/9/2014The menu was a bit odd somehow, maybe a little leaning too far towards the bar-snack-ish area to be a restaurant I'd go to with any regularity. The stuff we had was very tasty. The menu was small enough that, while each of us found something we liked, we certainly didn't have our standard dilemma of winnowing down a wish-list to place an order.Special Features:
- Had high expectations...OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/9/2014Briefly, food descriptions all sounded lovely, but ended not being so great. I had the roasted eggplant. It was underdone and pretty hard to eat. the accompanying salad was nothing to write home about. Not much taste. My friend had the trout salad. Lots of salad and an itty piece of trout on top. So little I can't believe they thought that was a serving. My daughter had the crab soup which was ok , but very spicy. I did say something about the eggplant and they gave us a piece of pie on the house. I probably won't go back or recommend it.
- convenient to Everman Theat.squashedVIPDined on 9/6/2014convenient adjacent to Everyman Theat. Outdor dinine nice nitch between buildings. Pizza offerings great. Fish of the day OK, accompanyng potato with eggplant inedible. Charge $3.00 for dense, tasteless, "artensian" bread with olive oil. Would go again only for pizza.Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Everything about the evening was great. We will definitely be going back. Appropriate for all ages.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slightly fancy homecooked foodKateDined on 9/5/2014I could have made everything we ordered at home, but if you are looking for a homecooked feel, this is the place. I could have went without the plastic tablecloth and the service was a bit slow, but overall there is a cutesy feel to the decor and even all the tiny iron skillets in which many items are served, and all the tables were full which is always a good sign. The food itself wasn't anything to rave about and the portions are on the smaller side (seriously consider NOT sharing that slice of shoofly pie!) but they use ingredients from local farms which I greatly applaud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- likeitisDined on 9/2/2014The atmosphere was comfortable, the staff was friendly, our waiter was very knowledgeable and energetic, the drinks were well done - good pours and the food was excellent. What else do you want from a Restaurant?Special Features:
- Not so greatbillDined on 8/28/2014The menu did not excite me and my entrée was flavored in a way I didn't particularly like.Special Features:
- Left stuffed and happyRoseDined on 8/24/2014We had a 5:30 reservation on Sunday. Considering that it was not very busy at that time, we were surprised how long it took for our snack to come out (we got the corn fritters which were DELICIOUS). My husband got the burger which he raved about. I got the pasta with vegetables with smoked tomato sauce. My only complaint about my dish is that it needed a touch of salt and some of the veggies were still a bit raw. We both got chocolate and sweet cream soft serve swirl for dessert. So much better than what you would get at your typical soft serve stand. I do wish that they would bring back the chocolate chiffon pie. Now THAT dessert is to die for.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014We came for drinks and appetizers and everything was good, desert too, wow. The appetizers, or "snacks" seemed more like sides than like appetizers (maybe with the exception of the Eastern Shore Wings). They were yummy but if I wasn't going to get dinner I probably wouldn't come again just for appetizers.
- Gluten-Free GirlChalupaDined on 8/23/2014I love this neighborhood diner! My son and I go there all the time for a fun evening burger and it's great for special occasions too! The staff is incredibly friendly and fun! The food is delicious and they have many great gluten free options! It's always a lovely experience!Special Features:
- Best Birthday BrunchPkyetrDined on 8/23/2014We took my nephew to Shoo-fly for his birthday since he is a breakfast aficianado. The food was so fresh we were looking for the farm! Great friendly service, as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get the Disco Fries!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Oh my where the Disco Fries delightful. Such great flavor. Wasn't sure what the Pepper Gravy would be like, but it was tasty and went well with the fries, cheese curds and fried egg. It was a great start to our brunch! The Shoo-Fly pie at the end wrapped it all up nicely.Special Features:
- Quirky comfort foodNotQuiteAFoodieVIPDined on 8/20/2014Don't expect haute cuisine, but the ingredients are local and fresh. and everything isprepared with care. If you're into Southern cooking and comfort food, this is definitely a place to put high on your list. Not much in terms of seafood, but great veggie options for those who, like me, eschew anything that has walked on land or flown. The pasta with smoked tomat tomato sauce andsummersquash was delicious, and judging from the way my companions worked their way through the pork shouldder and the roasted eggplant, they were just as pleased.Special Features:
- we love this place!~NancarDined on 8/16/2014every time we come here we find something more yummy than the time before! I will keep coming back!
- gastro dineroutWithKidsDined on 8/15/2014Shoo Fly is NOT a traditional diner. It is a "foody's diner". So, it is also a tad pricier and may not be for everyone. EVERYTHING is homemade. All the sauces -- even the ketchup! -- are made from scratch. The kids menu is a tad limited but is also solid. The drinks, while a tad pricey ($8-12), are dynamite. Made with their own homemade ingredients (bitters, etc), they are fun and innovative but not far off traditional drinks, so you won't be disappointed. (And they have a full bar stocked with good liquor so they can make anything) One specific: the soft-shell crabs (seasonal special) were BY FAR the best I've ever had. They were unreal. Shoo Fly impresses me more each time I go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rwesleyVIPDined on 8/12/2014Breakfast, brunch, lunch - only on weekends. Otherwise opens in late afternoon and stays open late. Great for those of us who are often working or attending a weeknight event. Thus the late night find.Special Features:
- BrunchBaltimoreKatVIPDined on 8/10/2014We went for brunch. We went because we are Woodberry fans and Artifact Coffee fans. Place used to be the restaurant Crush. It was cutely decorated. The mini biscuit basket was good as well as their other menu items. It is a must try.Special Features:
- Not-quite what it's cracked up tobeRexYDined on 8/8/2014Lots of chicken dishes and simple food" but not at a "simple price" and I am not sure the taste and presentation makes it that much superior to a good honest diner.Special Features:
- OverpricedMikeDined on 8/8/2014Average food that pretends to be sofisticated, but it is just average with the sofisticated pricing. Portions are small, prices are high - not like in the diner, but the quality is not far from the diner.Special Features:
- VMarieDined on 8/1/2014Food was excellent. Service lovely. We'll return. ThanksSpecial Features:
- nice tryfoodiemomDined on 7/31/2014The service was great but the food was not good at all. It was extremely overpriced and bland. $5 for a few slices of tomatoes and $19 for fried chicken with no sides, and I could have gotten better fried chicken at Royal Farms for a lot less. I ordered the roasted chicken first but it was do dry they offered to bring me something else. While I waited they gave us deviled eggs which of course had a fancy name but were totaly bland. And we ordered a piece of pie at the end and the crust was so hard we couldn't get our fork's thru it, so we just ate the filling which was good. Don't bother going, you would be better of going to Cracker Barrel.Special Features:
- 4th timeOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/27/2014Seems to get better every time we go. When your hungry and just want some great comfort food - but you don't want it to stick to your ribs! If you know what I meanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome brunchglarkDined on 7/27/2014I had brunch this past Sunday at Shoofly and it was amazing. Taylor, our server, was wonderful. I highly recommend the strawberry jam that comes with the breakfast biscuits. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.