510 E Belvedere Ave
Baltimore, MD 21212Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://shooflydiner.com/
- Phone: 4104649222x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm-1:00am
Breakfast: Saturday- Sunday: 9:00am-3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: David Speegle
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact our private events coordinator, Jolanta Kunkulis.
- Private Party Contact: Jolanta Kunkulis 4104648000
A word from Shoo-fly
Shoo-fly, from the team behind Woodberry Kitchen, continues the relationships with the growers of the Chesapeake region to provide a family atmosphere and menu in the iconic Hess Shoes store in Belvedere Square. Our seasonal menu changes nightly to highlight fresh ingredients from our area growers, including fried green tomatoes, the Shoo-fly burger, and roasted eggplant. Make a reservation for one of our booths or a table upstairs, or join us at our bar or diner counter downstairs! Kids are welcome to play in the playroom and decorate their own chefs' hats at the table. We have recently opened the patio in front of the restaurant, with tables available for reservations and walk-ins, as well as two large party tables for special celebrations!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Shoo-fly - Best Restaurants in Belvedere Square ›
Shoo-fly reviews from OpenTable diners
190 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (114)fit for foodies (90)kid-friendly (79)great for brunch (64)good for groups (58)late-night find (55)great for outdoor dining (43)great for lunch (34)special occasion (24)hot spot (22)vibrant bar scene (18)romantic (9)notable wine list (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Not so greatbillDined on 8/28/2014The menu did not excite me and my entrée was flavored in a way I didn't particularly like.Special Features:
- Left stuffed and happyRoseDined on 8/24/2014We had a 5:30 reservation on Sunday. Considering that it was not very busy at that time, we were surprised how long it took for our snack to come out (we got the corn fritters which were DELICIOUS). My husband got the burger which he raved about. I got the pasta with vegetables with smoked tomato sauce. My only complaint about my dish is that it needed a touch of salt and some of the veggies were still a bit raw. We both got chocolate and sweet cream soft serve swirl for dessert. So much better than what you would get at your typical soft serve stand. I do wish that they would bring back the chocolate chiffon pie. Now THAT dessert is to die for.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014We came for drinks and appetizers and everything was good, desert too, wow. The appetizers, or "snacks" seemed more like sides than like appetizers (maybe with the exception of the Eastern Shore Wings). They were yummy but if I wasn't going to get dinner I probably wouldn't come again just for appetizers.
- Gluten-Free GirlChalupaDined on 8/23/2014I love this neighborhood diner! My son and I go there all the time for a fun evening burger and it's great for special occasions too! The staff is incredibly friendly and fun! The food is delicious and they have many great gluten free options! It's always a lovely experience!Special Features:
- Best Birthday BrunchPkyetrDined on 8/23/2014We took my nephew to Shoo-fly for his birthday since he is a breakfast aficianado. The food was so fresh we were looking for the farm! Great friendly service, as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get the Disco Fries!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Oh my where the Disco Fries delightful. Such great flavor. Wasn't sure what the Pepper Gravy would be like, but it was tasty and went well with the fries, cheese curds and fried egg. It was a great start to our brunch! The Shoo-Fly pie at the end wrapped it all up nicely.Special Features:
- Quirky comfort foodNotQuiteAFoodieVIPDined on 8/20/2014Don't expect haute cuisine, but the ingredients are local and fresh. and everything isprepared with care. If you're into Southern cooking and comfort food, this is definitely a place to put high on your list. Not much in terms of seafood, but great veggie options for those who, like me, eschew anything that has walked on land or flown. The pasta with smoked tomat tomato sauce andsummersquash was delicious, and judging from the way my companions worked their way through the pork shouldder and the roasted eggplant, they were just as pleased.Special Features:
- we love this place!~NancarDined on 8/16/2014every time we come here we find something more yummy than the time before! I will keep coming back!
- gastro dineroutWithKidsDined on 8/15/2014Shoo Fly is NOT a traditional diner. It is a "foody's diner". So, it is also a tad pricier and may not be for everyone. EVERYTHING is homemade. All the sauces -- even the ketchup! -- are made from scratch. The kids menu is a tad limited but is also solid. The drinks, while a tad pricey ($8-12), are dynamite. Made with their own homemade ingredients (bitters, etc), they are fun and innovative but not far off traditional drinks, so you won't be disappointed. (And they have a full bar stocked with good liquor so they can make anything) One specific: the soft-shell crabs (seasonal special) were BY FAR the best I've ever had. They were unreal. Shoo Fly impresses me more each time I go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rwesleyVIPDined on 8/12/2014Breakfast, brunch, lunch - only on weekends. Otherwise opens in late afternoon and stays open late. Great for those of us who are often working or attending a weeknight event. Thus the late night find.Special Features:
- BrunchBaltimoreKatVIPDined on 8/10/2014We went for brunch. We went because we are Woodberry fans and Artifact Coffee fans. Place used to be the restaurant Crush. It was cutely decorated. The mini biscuit basket was good as well as their other menu items. It is a must try.Special Features:
- Not-quite what it's cracked up tobeRexYDined on 8/8/2014Lots of chicken dishes and simple food" but not at a "simple price" and I am not sure the taste and presentation makes it that much superior to a good honest diner.Special Features:
- OverpricedMikeDined on 8/8/2014Average food that pretends to be sofisticated, but it is just average with the sofisticated pricing. Portions are small, prices are high - not like in the diner, but the quality is not far from the diner.Special Features:
- VMarieDined on 8/1/2014Food was excellent. Service lovely. We'll return. ThanksSpecial Features:
- nice tryfoodiemomDined on 7/31/2014The service was great but the food was not good at all. It was extremely overpriced and bland. $5 for a few slices of tomatoes and $19 for fried chicken with no sides, and I could have gotten better fried chicken at Royal Farms for a lot less. I ordered the roasted chicken first but it was do dry they offered to bring me something else. While I waited they gave us deviled eggs which of course had a fancy name but were totaly bland. And we ordered a piece of pie at the end and the crust was so hard we couldn't get our fork's thru it, so we just ate the filling which was good. Don't bother going, you would be better of going to Cracker Barrel.Special Features:
- 4th timeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/27/2014Seems to get better every time we go. When your hungry and just want some great comfort food - but you don't want it to stick to your ribs! If you know what I meanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome brunchglarkDined on 7/27/2014I had brunch this past Sunday at Shoofly and it was amazing. Taylor, our server, was wonderful. I highly recommend the strawberry jam that comes with the breakfast biscuits. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnhWranglerVIPDined on 7/25/2014Food was ok, but not very imaginative and not enough lighter dishes & a boring menu. Feels half-baked, as though they need to pay more attention to the place. Maybe they're spread too thinly among their many outposts? Have heard this from so many people about Shoo-fly, but was still anxious to try it. The best thing I had was succotash wrapped in a corn husk. Very sweet service.Special Features:
- Enjoyable evening...DawnieBDined on 7/25/2014Went to Shoo-fly with my 21 year old son and 15 year old daughter. We arrived and found Belvedere Avenue closed for a concert, but found our way to parking on a side street. The restaurant is lovely-we loved the ambience. We received a friendly greeting when we arrived, even though we were 15 minutes late for our reservation because of the road closure. We all enjoyed our dinners and the desserts were awesome as well. Our server, Lydia was very attentive and really did a great job answering questions we had about particular dishes. We definitely will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Stop on our Daytrip.nellimarieDined on 7/20/2014We stopped in on a friend's recommendation. The ambiance and staff were very welcoming. It was our first time in and loved all of the small touches of detail from decor to the food. We had 3 starters to share and the frozen cocktails on the menu. Delicious. Open kitchen downstairs had diner seating around gave off a very 1940's-50's style feel.Special Features:
- Great use of an old buildingOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 7/20/2014I think Shoo-fly is a great concept. The food is what you would expect at an up scale dinner. With one exception the price. We had picnic eggs 3 for $4. I know that they are the in thing, but it's a bit pricey. My half a chicken wit cornbread was $20. Good but not worth the price. My guest had Chili Mac $15, was a large portion with more Mac than chilli. THe one bright spot was the home made hot sauces. Overall our waaitress was very attentive and cheeerfull.Special Features:
- Yummy BrunchMarissaDined on 7/20/2014Be prepared when you go to Shoo Fly for brunch - it is a lot of food. Go hungry and you will be happy you did. We went with a group that included 4 young children and they were happy with their selections as well.Special Features:
- local and sustainable foodRSoutDined on 7/20/2014Shoo fly is a supporter of local food growers. The food is of a seasonal nature. It's the baby sister of Woodberry kitchen but easier to get into, please stay away so that it will stay our neighborhood gem. LolSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bright spot in BelvedereMMilesDined on 7/19/2014Shoo-Fly has gotten rave reviews in the media and I found that the high praise was well deserved. The staff was unbelievably friendly and our server made great recommendations. We shared the disco fries and I got the fried chicken, both of which were out of this world! Everyone else at the table was very happy with their meals as well. We got adult smoothies and shakes for dessert - I would go back just for those. This was one of the best dining experiences I've had in months. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Just okEpollackDined on 7/19/2014I went with my mother aunt and toddler on a Saturday morning for lunch. My mother and aunt ordered Eggs Benedict and the eggs were solid. I ordered the Ham Egg and Cheese open faced on Rye. My "dippy eggs" were also over cooked. My mom sent hers back but I was too hungry to wait any longer than we already had. My food was entirely too greasy that it made my stomach hurt. The rye bread was good. The mini biscuit basket was good. I wouldn't go back. Second time there and am not impressed.Special Features:
- Pleasantly SurprisedTbrownDined on 7/18/2014This was our first visit to Shoo-Fly. The food choices were great and different, not your standard fare. We really enjoyed the food (probably too much) and will revisit. Eric, our server, gave great recommendations and was very attentive.Special Features:
- Eclectic and fun!RtowngalDined on 7/15/2014Very much enjoyed the Shoofly Diner! The staff is very service-oriented, friendly, outgoing, professional, and hip. Very interesting decor. The menu has great selections and the dishes are made from foods found only in the Chesapeake area. Very impressed with the service!! Would very much love to do brunch here. I was here for dinner on a Tuesday night. Delicious!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/10/2014Had been there when first opened and we were not impressed but decided to try again before a movie and had a good dining experience. Great waitress. I had burger which was delicious except bun too toasted, fried superb. My friend had the trout salad, she loved the trout but said the greens were tough. All in all we would now go back. One annoying thing was she asked for some bread with her salad and it came with no menu for warning or server fore warning $2 was on the check for bread and jam, the jam which was never on the plate. But the server took it off which was good sustomer serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting MenuJettDined on 7/8/2014I found the menu very interesting with it's assortment of choices, although there weren't very many options for those counting calories. I liked the fact that they use ingredients from local vendors, and those vendors are listed on the menu. The waiter made many recommendations and answered all of our questions. The staff was very friendly. The hostess stepped away from the Hostess Stand to greet guests at the door. Everyone was friendly and attentive, and appeared eager to please the customers. It was a very pleasant dining experience, and I will probably go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharmingOldschoolfoodieDined on 6/30/2014A friend and I went to the bar around 4ish. Place was empty and quiet but we stayed over 2 hours and watched the crowd enter. Bartender was nice and very knowledgeable on food and beverage. Snacked on fried green tomatoes and picnic eggs and then had the Fried Chicken dinner with Cornbread. Finished with a rum milkshake for my friend and Manhattan for me! Everything was good and responsibly priced. They decor was all over the place but mostly Shabby. Would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shoo fly, don't bother!jaibeyksDined on 6/29/2014My wife and I were really excited to try ShooFly Diner, bc of Woodberry Kitchen. I ordered the catfish and my wife a medium rare hamburger. The catfish came out over-cooked and the hamburger came out charred and medium well. We sent back the hamburger and asked to make sure it came out medium rare. The second hamburger came out medium at best, still charred and very greasy We finished what they gave us, but it left us bloated and disappointed. Basically, we could have paid less than half the price for the same quality of cooking and the stomach ache at Double T Diner. On the positive side, the wait staff were nice, the drinks were tasty, and the ambience was lovely. Get the kitchen together and this place will be a dream!
- FreshHungryFriendDined on 6/28/2014The food was fresh and delicious. I had Trout and it was accompanied by lots of tasty, fresh veggies. The Strawberry Slush drink is to die for!!! My first experience there was great and would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/28/2014Tanner is amazingly knowledgeable and personable. He did an phenomenal job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay if you don't mind the noiseDisappointedVIPDined on 6/25/2014Food and service were fine - but I could hardly hear myself think due to all the kids screaming. So great for families. Go later in the evening if you want to hear your dining companions.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/21/2014Good Quality Food At Great Prices. Prompt Service Kept Us Satisfied While We Enjoyed EatingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/20/2014Took my faince and family to this restaraunt for dinner late last Friday night. The server was excellent, knowledgable about gluten free items, which was very important to me since I have celiacs disease. I would highly recommend this restataunt. Great food, great atmospher, excellent service!Special Features:
- Our go-to placeLilyhillVIPDined on 6/19/2014We love everything about Shoo-Fly! Great food, not terribly expensive (dinner for 2, including 2 drinks, 1 app and 1 dessert = $61 before tip), pleasant servers, easy parking, diners of all ages. The menu offers comfort food with a twist so it's likely to appeal to a wide group. One of the best things about Shoo-Fly is the 'extras'. The pickles used as garnish, for example, are reallllly good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, outstanding serviceCulinaryAdventurerDined on 6/18/2014Locally grown tasty food artfully presented and served by outstanding staff! Shoo-fly is a place to go back to many times.Special Features:
- Shoo-Fly. Great Fathers Day mealBmoredinerDined on 6/15/2014Really enjoyable! Knowledgeable staff. Our waitress was a sweetheart. Food was vegetarian friendly, important for one of our group. Desserts were to die for; obviously the ShooFly Pie, but also the Buttermilk Pie and the Cookie Sundae. I would happily have the Nectarine Caramel every day!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit offNoblehouseDined on 6/15/20142nd time there (Fathers Day) in the 4 months. Previously, no issues, contrary to some of the posted reviews. This time was different. First, restaurant was not crowded at all maybe 30% full. We were seated in a corner upstairs and the a/c was in full mode. Pretty cold. Ordered drinks and waited and waited. Very slow for whatever reason. I'm not one for "hovering" wait staff but come on...you were slow. We were 90 minutes for dinner and desert where you could have been seated, ordered, eat in a comfortable 60 minutes. Was told of all the plans going on with the restaurant..personally I think there are basic issues that still need working out (running out of carrots not good). Will go back not sure when.Special Features: