Shokudo - Honolulu
1585 Kapiolani Blvd, Suite 100
Honolulu, HI 96814Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Shokudo - Honolulu
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.shokudojapanese.com/
- Phone: 8089413701
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 1:00am
Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 2:00am
Reservation Policy: In consideration for all parties a 2 hour time limit will be strictly enforced for all reservations.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Eiji Kato
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Our restaurant offers off site catering for all events. We offer catering platters of all different assortments ranging from salads to sushi to entree selections.
- Private Party Facilities: We are able to accommodate large private parties for all occasions and events. We have 1 private room that accommodate different size parties that are great for celebrating any special occasion or business meeting. We also offer pre-set menus that will better assist in the coordination of large parties. Please see private party Coordinator.
- Private Party Contact: Andrew Song 8089413701
- Entertainment: Shokudo Japanese has a comfortable bar seating that is great for viewing special sporting events as well as the everyday News on 2 large flat screen televisions. Friendly & knowledgeable bartenders ready to strike up a conversation with great patrons.
A word from Shokudo - Honolulu
Presenting "the new wave in Japanese dining," Shokudo Japanese Restaurant & Bar offers an affordable dining experience with a dramatic architectural and design details. Much like the familiar, casual dining of Tokyo's center city, Shokudo Japanese offers an elaborate menu selection that encompasses both traditional Japanese dishes and the many ethnic and foreign influences that now infuse the popular dining culture of the country. A sleek floating bar placed at the center of the restaurant that hosts specialty cocktails and martinis, including the traditional and contemporary preparations of sake and shochu. Shokudo Japanese transports diners to an exciting revolution in popular Japanese dining, the perfect spot for celebrations and the gathering of friends and family.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Shokudo - Honolulu - Best Restaurants in Honolulu ›
Shokudo - Honolulu reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (24)fit for foodies (16)good for groups (15)special occasion (15)late-night find (7)neighborhood gem (7)hot spot (7)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (6)vibrant bar scene (4)romantic (1)Show More
- FUN!bonvivantDined on 9/15/2014They serve lots of FUN dishes! and well priced.This Is not a traditional sushi joint. If you want real old school sushi don't eat here. However if you are the typical sushi eater who thinks California rolls are adventurous, then go for it.Home made tofu was good, a little pricey though. Sushi pizza was great for pupus and more health than fried something... We like this place.It's FUN!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchJWEatsDined on 8/28/2014Place gets busy even for lunch on weekdays. Food came out pretty fast and our waiter was nice and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!MT85Dined on 8/18/2014Shokudo never disappoints! I try something different every time, and its always delicious! Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great variety of foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014Love the spicy miso ramen and the variety of food. Tofu is terrific. My only complaint is for such a beautiful restaurant, the men's restroom is one of the worst designs I have ever seen. Uncomfortable when another person has to squeeze past you to get to the other urinal or toilet!Special Features:
- great lunchcocokobyDined on 8/7/2014Our server was great in suggesting popular dishes and everything tasted great. The homemade tofu salad was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Japanese Fusion DestinationTwinkleVIPDined on 7/30/2014The menu is creative and delicious! All the waitstaff were very pleasant and ours was excellent. Parking is complementary all day as well. Great destination choice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kenji12345Kenji12345Dined on 7/16/2014FOUND THE DELUXE TEISHOKU TO BE FABULOUS - VERY FRESH AND GOOD SIZED PIECES OF SASHIMI, SUCCULENT CHICKEN TERIYAKI AND PERFECTLY PREPARED SHRIMP AND VEGETABLE TEMPURA. AND GREAT SERVICE TOO.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- girls lunchsasafrass90Dined on 7/12/2014Had a nice lunch with the girls and ate family style, so we all shared different appetizers and sushi. Had to end with the Honey toast. Always a nice spot to grab some food and have vodka sodas. Wait staff was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014Good tasting food (basic foods with great twists), moderately high pricing, great service.Special Features:
- I'm Coming BackqueenieyoDined on 7/3/2014Menu selection is excellent. Pictures included so you know what you are getting. Prices are reasonable and portions quite filling. If you've heard good things about this place they are ALL true. Make sure you save room for the honey bread dessert. It is a MUST!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bday CelebrationWendyDined on 7/1/2014Went for Happy Hour with 8 friends, only problem, Happy Hour menu is limited to the Bar seats which does not allow for group conversations and the outside lounge area. Since we had a good size group and the whole point of getting together was to "talk" we decided to sit outside. . . It was a constant battle of chasing the flies off of our food and the tables are too small to hold plates of food and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 129 reviews are from the Shokudo - Honolulu reviews archive.
- Never get tiredgrlhaw808Dined on 5/24/2014Everything here is awesome, love their good especially the mochi gratin, tofu salad, spinach salad and honey toast which is a few of my favorites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad I finally gave it a try.Lilo33Dined on 5/13/2014I have passed this place numerous times. I finally decided to give it a try and took my mom there for a belated Mother's Day lunch (I had tried for dinner, but there were no tables for 8 weeks!) The service was pleasant, but not outstanding. We ordered the caterpillar roll and assorted tempura. The caterpillar roll was very good. The tempura was nice and crispy and not oily. I found the dipping sauce that accompanied the tempura was not like what I'm accustomed to...not bad, just different. I wish we had the room to try the honey toast. Well, it gives me something to look forward to next time!Special Features:
- HungryVIPDined on 5/6/2014Dont understand why the restaurant was really empty and they have to seat a 2 top right next to us on the same bench???? I dont like listening to other conversation and I'm sure the two Gals felt the same. The table next to them and 10 others in the same section were open! Just ruined the ambiance for a late lunch. Plus there was a screaming baby behind. We will still come back but need to watch the time. Dont mind someone sitting tight next when its busy because it is loud, but when empty???Special Features:
- Great DininghatemoneyDined on 4/20/2014The service was very good. The atmosphere is open. I don't see it as a "private" dining experience, more open group type dining. But the food taste/presentation would fit any type dining. The delivery of dishes to the table was a little overcoming as once it started coming it came pretty much all at once. I did like the capability of "on-line" reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where's the shaved ice?OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2014Food is always yummy and interesting at Shokudo. We were a little disappointed that the shaved ice was still on the menu but not available and since we are not a fan of the honeycomb dessert we opted for ice cream. We were also disappointed that where was no longer a senior discount because it is a favorite place for us to bring our elderly parents who always enjoy the twist on Japanese cuisene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful fast casual sushi spotOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/10/2014Great decor and a fabulous location make this sushi spot hard to beat. However, lackluster service and overly flavored sushi leaves some room for improvement. The lobster dynamite roll in particular is far too rich to be real sushi. A higher grade selection of fresh fish would do a lot in terms of improvement here. Sit at the sushi bar to get a good idea if what's freshest and recommended by the sushi chefs in the know.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceHungryVIPDined on 3/26/2014Bubu was great! with as many tables that he had, he was on it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable, Relaxing ...WaruBozuDined on 3/26/2014Always when we go there, everyone who works there gives great customer service. They always make sure how are we doing & how is the food. We hope that it never changes Mahalo Nui Loa to everyone @ Shokudo.Special Features:
- Good sushiV123VIPDined on 3/9/2014The food is good. It's very crowded. I ordered a sushi platter and found that the sushi chef had not given the chu-toro that was listed. When it was mentioned... the waitress took off the maguro on the platter and returned with the chu-toro. The waitress then returned with the original maguro she took. We wondered what she was planning to do with our sushi. What was she thinking.... "she could give it to someone else?" Anyway, she apologized and is turned out ok.
- Shokudo - great for lunchoahufoodieVIPDined on 1/10/2014Had lunch at Shokudo again last week. Terrific place for foodies and large groups since the menu is so diverse and there are seemingly endless choices. Had our favorite agedashi tofu (yum!), spinach salad and tempura kabocha which was light and not greasy. The servers are always friendly and courteous. The only downside is that service is a bit slow - not sure if it was the waitstaff or the kitchen.Special Features:
- Good Japanese Food At a Good PriceEagereaterDined on 1/4/2014We were five people in our party, two grandparents, two parents and a two-year old. The restaurant took us in stride. The service was friendly and efficient and all of us were pleased with the quality, freshness and, most importantly, the taste of our food. Even our two-year old cleaned her plate. The honey toast for dessert was great and one order was enough for all of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed their sushi and sake.V123VIPDined on 12/29/2013Enjoyed their sushi and sake. Pretty good prices for what you get.
- Food was a little disappointingJamminVIPDined on 12/4/2013Food was a little disappointing from our first visit to the island. Stilll good food howeverSpecial Features:
- Great Food! This restaurantCodyDined on 12/1/2013Great Food! This restaurant was recommended to us by our hotel concierge. Glad we tried itSpecial Features:
- Sushi was greatAndrewDined on 11/22/2013Had the Omakase Sushi. The Sushi Chef explained each sushi, where the seafood came from, and how to eat it. (No shoyu or with wasabi, etc.). It was very educational and made my taste buds very happy. The Sushi Chef was a joy to talk to. He explained everything in detail and answered all my questions. Will definitely go back to try his other selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/14/2013Had a great service, our server Bob, very friendly and very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is Great but Service is SlowhigirlVIPDined on 10/7/2013We went for lunch, restaurant was only half full and it still took a really long time for food to come. Not a good place if you only have 1 hour for lunch. The restaurant was really noisy too, hard to have a conversation. But I love their food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceRachelVIPDined on 9/29/2013Thank you to the service staff, they were all very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch with a visiting brotherMelNDined on 8/23/2013My brother who lives in Georgia, was in town so we choose Shokudo for its interesting mix of Asian foods. We were not disappointed as we chose the special and Karaage chicken bento boxes, along with chicken katsu, garlic shrimp rice, mochi cheese gratin, finishing with the well known Honey toast. With parking in their building, it was easy to have lunch and return to work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!HyanchikaDined on 8/12/2013Great food for a girls day brunch! Honey toast w cookies n cream was an awesome topper to an already fantastic experience! Definitely go again;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was much better than theV123VIPDined on 8/4/2013It was much better than the last time we ate here, which was during their grand opening year. The food and service improved much. We would come back again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodNikkiDined on 7/28/2013The food was tasty, but took some time coming out from the kitchen.Special Features:
- Service?? What serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/20/2013Food was good, service non existent, Never got drinks refilled Order was wrong Spicy tuna was way way to spicy (not edible and I love super hot stuff) Wife's lunch didn't come out until everyone else was completely done eating Appetizer was the last item to arrive
- sushi diningNikkiDined on 7/15/2013First time there, and the food was inventive, tasty, and reasonably priced. Definitely going there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Happy Hourjennstar808VIPDined on 7/12/2013I absolutely love Shokudo's happy hour. Favorite food items include the garlic clams, garlic edamame, spicy tuna nachos and the honey toast jr. Favorite shot items include yuzu ball-n-chain and in the doghouse. Tasty food and drinks at an inexpensive cost. Happy hour menu items range from $3-$5. Service and ambience is also fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- servicePiliDined on 7/3/2013I can't say enough about the tremendous service. The food was outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorite restaurantsAndyDined on 6/30/2013One of my favorite restaurants in Honolulu. I've love everything I've tried especially the agedashi tofu!Special Features:
- They were gracious about amendingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/27/2013They were gracious about amending the # of attendees and providing separate bills for each of us. They didn't rush us out of the restaurant either as we took our time catching up with each other during this small class reunion of 7 women. Couldn't ask for better!Special Features:
- My reservation was cancelledOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/24/2013My reservation was cancelled even with me checking in with my reservation name, time, and number of party. talked to the manager before i left and he made it right, excellent service! Server always smiling and explained every dish that came to the table. Love the fresh tofu and tofu salad!Special Features: